There is big ukes small ukes side ported kasha tru and other bracing what's next???

MGM

Reaction score
Now that we have sopraninos, then super ukes with longer necks, big bodied ukes, thin body, side ported....etc. with all these new models and configurations of 4 string 5 string 6 and 8 what's next that we are wanting....been. Talking to luthiers and running out of ideas..

Definitely think big bodies on concert scale necks is something I'd like. In fact, despite knowing next to nothing about luthiery, that's what I plan on building for myself......one day....... :D

Fluted armrest like Kevin Ryan Guitars..all for show but you asked.. LOL
and even though I know it is being done now..fretboards with super nice striping on the different types of wood..or really nice looking backstrap on the ukuleles

does any one want to build me one like that Just joking going to be expensive Haha

my 2 cents

I'd like to see a focus on steel string acoustic ukes. It probably isn't a huge priority for any uke builders, but I think it would be very interesting. It would probably restore my as of late waning interest in the uke. It would provide for a stronger presence soundwise, which I feel is the reason I'm not playing the uke as much.

Definitely think big bodies on concert scale necks is something I'd like. In fact, despite knowing next to nothing about luthiery, that's what I plan on building for myself......one day....... :D

Me too. I love the sound of a tenor but my fingers need the concert scale.

That's not a bad idea. But with the shorter scale and the necessary lighter gauged strings it still won't sound like a tenor. I don't know if extra high tension concert strings exist. It would also have to have a 15 or 16 fret body connection in order to locate the bridge in the proper location.

That's not a bad idea. But with the shorter scale and the necessary lighter gauged strings it still won't sound like a tenor. I don't know if extra high tension concert strings exist. It would also have to have a 15 or 16 fret body connection in order to locate the bridge in the proper location.

I would definitely buy a 16 fret body connection...Chuck you need a tester? :D

RwEDi.jpg

My idea was more to do with getting the deeper tone from the bigger body with the physical fret spacing that I've found to be most comfortable for me. I guess there's far more to it than that, but it's nice that someone other than me thinks it might be a good idea....... I presumed it had already been done at some point? OIf I start saving now Chuck, I'll be ready for you to make me one in about 10 years - is that OK? ;-p

I guess there's far more to it than that, but it's nice that someone other than me thinks it might be a good idea. ;-p

Is "that's not a bad idea" the same as a good idea? :rolleyes:

One example of a larger body for neck is an Applause Ovation tenor....tenor neck, baritone size body. But, that's truly meant to be amplified.

Is "that's not a bad idea" the same as a good idea? :rolleyes:

One example of a larger body for neck is an Applause Ovation tenor....tenor neck, baritone size body. But, that's truly meant to be amplified.

I take it to mean the same....... :D It'll be interesting to hear more about it from those who know about such things ........

3-string-banjolele:
%E4%B8%89%E5%91%B3%E7%B7%9A01.jpg

LOL~

A builder would need to consider whether or not the shorter scale and lighter strings have enough energy to excite the top a larger body.
Think about it in the extreme: If you mounted a soprano scale neck to a baritone body, would it sound like a baritone? Probably not. Scale length, strings and body size all need to work together. Heavier strings would be needed and the baritone's top would have to be made very thin. A very thin top over the large expanse of a baritone body is asking for trouble structurally.
I honestly don't think you'd have a problem using a concert scale on a tenor body though. Minor modifications would need to be made to the body. The volume and timber would likely change but I just don't think it would sound like a full bodied tenor. Only one way to find out.

For me, the kind of "ukulele" that is most painfully missing is a baritone ukulele with a body size (and scale length?) appropriate for its tuning.

Some may say that it's "going over to the guitar side" - but I see LOTS of potential and uses for a baritone ukulele that has a body size and scale length closer to a classical guitar.

Classical guitars have a deep, rich tone that far exceeds baritone ukuleles (although baritone ukes on the other hand are punchier).
However, I don't want to learn how to play 6-strings and turn myself into a guitarist in order to get that tone.

So far, the only luthier whom I have contacted that has given me a solution is Earnest Instruments.
But I've been quoted $2500 minimum, depending on options.
I'm looking for something a bit more mid-range in price..

If someone decides to produce this kind of ukulele, it's actually very easy and potentially inexpensive (just put a 4-string neck and headstock on a classical guitar body).
However, as such a standard instrument does not seem to exist...

Last edited:
For me, the kind of "ukulele" that is most painfully missing is a baritone ukulele with a body size (and scale length?) appropriate for its tuning.

Some may say that it's "going over to the guitar side" - but I see LOTS of potential and uses for a baritone ukulele that has a body size and scale length closer to a classical guitar.

Classical guitars have a deep, rich tone that far exceeds baritone ukuleles (although baritone ukes on the other hand are punchier).
However, I don't want to learn how to play 6-strings and turn myself into a guitarist in order to get that tone.

So far, the only luthier whom I have contacted that has given me a solution is Earnest Instruments.
But I've been quoted $2500 minimum, depending on options.
I'm looking for something a bit more mid-range in price..

If someone decides to produce this kind of ukulele, it's actually very easy and potentially inexpensive (just put a 4-string neck and headstock on a classical guitar body).
However, as such a standard instrument does not seem to exist...

Aren't you just looking for a tenor guitar? Four strings and the scale is in between a bari uke and a "typical" guitar. The body may not be as large as a classical guitar body, but I think it's a very good alternative (and you can find them for a reasonable price).

Top Bottom