Spreading ukulele joy to the children

haolejohn

Reaction score
Georgia has its first ukulele dealer (I think) and I got to meet the owner last night after church. Our ukulele club begins meeting in January after the students get their ukes and I met with Mike and sampled his Kalas and makalas. I also got to play his mitchell (solid spruce top) and oscor schmidt. I also got to hear aquila and kala reds.

1st I'd like to say I wa surprised at the sound of the kalas and the makalas (dolphin bridge ones). It was not what I expected for less than $40. The aquilas really made the makala dolphin bridge sound decent. I got to play a curly mango kala and I was surprised at its tone. I still prefer mahaghany though.

I fell in love with mike's spruce top mitchell concert with the kala reds. I really, really like the sound of the spruce top. Never heard of mitchell ukes before and don't know anything about them but it did sound good.

I decided that my prejudice towards laminates has got to go. When a uke player has UAS it a hard disease to cure on a teacher salary with a prejudice for solid wood ukes. I must start buying laminates.

Now for the good part. I had three students who placed an order for the makalas and I was able to sponsor three students. What a blessing to spread the joy of the uke to our future jakes and Aldrines.

If there are kids who can't afford an instrument, let me know. No kid should worry about money when it comes to music, sports, or the arts.

You are very cool people. I agree wholeheartedly with allinfun's philosophy. The arts (as well as sports) are mankind's most valuable asset, and our strongest legacy.

On a completely unrelated note, I should take my uke to Katsucon next year...

You did more than just help some kids get ukuleles. You helped them begin their musical journeys! It's a shame that school music programs are so under-appreciated; music is one of the greatest gifts you can give to a young person.

And it's great that you introduced them to playable instruments rather than toys. Everyone deserves an instrument that stays in tune and sounds good; it's sad to see people give up because their first experience with an instrument was frustrating. Even a $30 Makala is enough to put someone on the right track; those are miles beyond the ukes you'd find in the Honolulu airport gift shop for the same price.

Glad to hear you're spreading the uke gospel! :D

Top Bottom