Incomming Compass Rose Tenor from Gryphon

GASguy

Reaction score
Incoming Compass Rose Tenor: redwood top with beautiful sap-wood stripe and "bee's wing" figured bubinga back and sides; from what I've heard it has a beautiful blend of sparkle and warmth.

This must be the 14-fret they had? Beautiful uke for sure. I had a chance to play it over the weekend and I thought it had a very nice sparkle to it. I was debating between it and the 12-fret sequoia/sycamore that they had. I ended up preferring the feel and sound of the 12-fret by a very slight margin, but yours still has a beautiful tone and much better looks in my opinion! Congrats on your new Compass Rose!

Last edited:
Congratulations! I played that one last Thursday and it sounded great. Looks really pretty too. I think you're going to love it.

Wow, I am barely back from Austin, and I just checked the Gryphon site. They sold through our ukes awfully quickly... These were the first batch built with the help my new crew, and the guys have really stepped up to the plate.

OK, I get it! More attention to the uke side of the biz here...

And I appreciate everyone of our custom customers' patience through this time of luthier transition here. It's not been an easy several months since Jake left and John had his accident, but we're catching up and the quality tradition remains strong here thanks to my dedicated luthiers Rich, Chris, and Seth.

Can't wait to see some pics. Congratulations!

Thanks for your comments Rick.

Last edited:
Wow, I am barely back from Austin, and I just checked the Gryphon site. They sold through our ukes awfully quickly...

Rick, I snapped up the walnut tenor last week and received it Friday. Sold a Collings to finance it. Love the tone, solid construction and attention to detail. My first CR...probably not my last. Love it.

Bob

Wow, I am barely back from Austin, and I just checked the Gryphon site. They sold through our ukes awfully quickly... These were the first batch built with the help my new crew, and the guys have really stepped up to the plate.

And I appreciate everyone of our custom customers' patience through this time of luthier transition here. It's not been an easy several months since Jake left and John had his accident, but we're catching up and the quality tradition remains strong here thanks to my dedicated luthiers Rich, Chris, and Seth.

Welcome back Rick..missed you on the UU lately..your new guys doing great work and I hope John coming back soon too

I miss going down to Gryphon to check out you ukes..but I hear rumors HMS might be getting a few

Last edited:

Hi Rick,

I think I speak for all of your custom customers in saying that I would like you to take as long as you need to build my instrument. I've learned from playing many of your ukuleles at Gryphon (including all of the recent Gryphon ukes except the walnut one, and they were all beautiful) and through friends that you and your luthiers build amazing instruments, and I wouldn't dream of getting in the way of what y'all do. Besides, I was lucky enough to pick up a walnut Compass Rose tenor (#12-330) to feed my CR needs while I wait patiently for my custom baritone. I hope you and your band had a blast at SXSW!

Rick, I snapped up the walnut tenor last week and received it Friday. Sold a Collings to finance it. Love the tone, solid construction and attention to detail. My first CR...probably not my last. Love it.

Bob

Hey Bob I love the fit and finish on Rick's CRs..one of the best in the uke world..

I am waiting for my second CR a C body tenor macassar ebony body and a sinker redwood top..what is so nice with Rick you can still order your next uke directly from Rick..and it really gets fun when you pick your own wood combinations..congrats again

keep on strumming

Hi Rick,

I think I speak for all of your custom customers in saying that I would like you to take as long as you need to build my instrument. I've learned from playing many of your ukuleles at Gryphon (including all of the recent Gryphon ukes except the walnut one, and they were all beautiful) and through friends that you and your luthiers build amazing instruments, and I wouldn't dream of getting in the way of what y'all do. Besides, I was lucky enough to pick up a walnut Compass Rose tenor (#12-330) to feed my CR needs while I wait patiently for my custom baritone. I hope you and your band had a blast at SXSW!

Same here bruddah Rick..

as usual thanks for putting it into words what I was thinking Mark
peace brother

Glad to here things are going well. Rick, please tell the crew I said hello.

Glad to here things are going well. Rick, please tell the crew I said hello.

Aloha Jake..made my move back to Hawaii..nice out here
thanks again to you and John for building me a beautiful Koa CR..it sounds great

fill us in on your new shop..what city did you end up in? good luck

While it is hard to be patient, I agree 100% with what Mark said about taking the time to make sure the instrument meets Rick's high standards. I want an instrument that I can say was well worth the wait.

<off topic>I hope John is recovering well. Motorcycles are fun, but damned dangerous. I used to ride one until a guy in a Cadillac quickly pulled in front of me then stepped on the brakes. I skidded and was glad I had engine crash bars attached or my leg would have been crushed between the bike and his rear bumper.

Hi Rick,

Same here bruddah Rick..

as usual thanks for putting it into words what I was thinking Mark
peace brother

While it is hard to be patient, I agree 100% with what Mark said about taking the time to make sure the instrument meets Rick's high standards. I want an instrument that I can say was well worth the wait.

<off topic>I hope John is recovering well. Motorcycles are fun, but damned dangerous. I used to ride one until a guy in a Cadillac quickly pulled in front of me then stepped on the brakes. I skidded and was glad I had engine crash bars attached or my leg would have been crushed between the bike and his rear bumper.

:eek:ld: Hrrrrmmmpphhhh!!!

Quit wasting time posting nonsense on UU, forget your childish rock star dreams, quit whining about being a man down and get your butt back in your shop and make some ukes!!!

. . . and GET OFF MY LAWN while you're at it!!!

Geez . . . I crack myself up :biglaugh:

My turn to be a curmudgeon:)

Seriously though, I hope you're having a great time with the band! Not too many people get the chance to do it all over again. Sounds like a great opportunity and a lot of fun. Also glad to hear the new crew is up to the task and I hope all is well in your world. And tell John we're looking forward to his full recovery.

. . . . and please don't raise the price of my custom. I really was just kidding.

We all want to be famous uke stars...come on admit it!.......not gonna happen ;-)

I too am patiently waiting for my custom CR. It's going to be BONZER! Started around December picking out the wood.

Cocobolo side and back with Adirondack Spruce top. I took Ricks advice when he told me to go with the Adirondack over the Sitka....didn't have to tell me twice!

Cheers,

:eek:ld: Hrrrrmmmpphhhh!!!

Quit wasting time posting nonsense on UU, forget your childish rock star dreams, quit whining about being a man down and get your butt back in your shop and make some ukes!!!

. . . and GET OFF MY LAWN while you're at it!!!

Geez . . . I crack myself up :biglaugh:

My turn to be a curmudgeon:)

Seriously though, I hope you're having a great time with the band! Not too many people get the chance to do it all over again. Sounds like a great opportunity and a lot of fun. Also glad to hear the new crew is up to the task and I hope all is well in your world. And tell John we're looking forward to his full recovery.

. . . . and please don't raise the price of my custom. I really was just kidding.

i went to gryphons music store, asked to play the compass rose, as it is in the hands off section of the store, scratched out a few simple chords. those things are sweet, and sound beautiful.

Top Bottom