Aldrine & Jake "Something"

I know, I know. Some of us have seen this video before. But, it is my favorite Jake video (and Aldrine is no slouch, either! No uke in this one for Aldrine).

I come back to it as an example of pure dynamic range--subtle to loud-- and awesome string bends. I could listen to this a million times and never tire of it. George Harrison's, Something.

For those new to UU, or old friends who have not yet seen this, Jake and Aldrine on a sunny day, impromptu at a cafe table. And the uke solo. Wow. Just, wow.

Mahalo.

Last edited:
Man...I can't believe I haven't seen this one. I continuously watch the tribute w/ Prince and that is my favorite guitar solo. This one is right behind it. Thanks for sharing Steve.

What?! Come on Daniel! I have probably watched that video like 50 times. I always try to play to it, but mess up.

Man...I can't believe I haven't seen this one. I continuously watch the tribute w/ Prince and that is my favorite guitar solo. This one is right behind it. Thanks for sharing Steve.

What?! Come on Daniel! I have probably watched that video like 50 times. I always try to play to it, but mess up.

I've watched Aldrine's version several times so I can learn how to play. I love the roosters in Aldrine's video..reminds me of Waipahu or Kihei on Oahu.

Those people casually walking by the table have no idea how much ukulele talent consumes the air around them.

Agree, 808! Arguably, the two best ukulele players in the world, at one table. They have no clue.

Steve and Daniel et al: let's thank, Dominator. You, too, can play like Jake!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPO6ivwykqc

I had no clue that was Aldrine's K, m. Thanks. Appreciate the comments.

Even though some of us could play the song, few of us could do all the nuances of Jake. He makes it special. So subtle.

Last edited:
Very nice, thanks for sharing! Thanks to Dominator - I found his tab and have been working on this very song. I recently "discovered" this band called the Beatles and have been playing lots of their songs on the uke. I especially like UU's "Come Together"....;)

One of my very favorite videos!

I can't be the only one who misses hearing Aldrine's singing. As he's developed into a superstar instrumentalist, has he abandoned this other huge talent?

Last edited:
The magic of this moment is that a familiar song is played (and sung) so deftly--casually and yet so utterly authentically--that even a non-ukulele player is overtaken by the beauty of the four stringed instrument.

It's a spontaneous firefly spark caught in a glass bottle, the lens. And inside are Jake and Aldrine, the green and the sun, the background songbirds, and even you and I, my dear reader.

And, of course, George Harrison.

Last edited:
Top Bottom