Which should I get? Kalla mahogany lite saprano longneck or lanikai solid mahagony lm

Gottliver

Reaction score
I would go with the Kala, only because I'm not fond of the Lanikai badging on the headstock.

Welcome to the UU forums...I tried the Kala slimline travel at Hawaii Music supply..actually they had three and they all sounded great...but then again HMS does free setups
and great ones at that...well worth it in my book...and the way to go....you pay a hint more and you get a way better sounding instrument..

kala from hms.

i l;ove elderly---but the set up service is nil on ukes

invotou remarkable

elderly claims expert setup?? is this not true? they mentions that starting with the lanikai lu 21 and up...and indicate which ones they don't set up...

oop, just noticed i typed the verification code in he subject!!! sorry....

and thx for the insight all..

Well, I was going to say the same thing in my post (forget Elderly), so I looked and HMS doesn't list that particular model on their website. Gottliver - some of us have had less-than-stellar experiences with Elderly's set-up, no matter what they say...and some have had no problems at all.

Well, I was going to say the same thing in my post (forget Elderly), so I looked and HMS doesn't list that particular model on their website. Gottliver - some of us have had less-than-stellar experiences with Elderly's set-up, no matter what they say...and some have had no problems at all.

thank you..

I would go with the Kala, only because I'm not fond of the Lanikai badging on the headstock.

That's the only thing I don't like about these Indonesian made Lanikais. I have 2 tenors, both bought as 2nds from butler. they are lightly built, have a nice tone, and some nice binding/accents, all for less than $200. I put some southcoast flatwounds on the one I tore the "badging" off of, and I really like it. it's one of my favorites, and I have a couple of K tenors. I don't have any experience with their concerts from this line, but I imagine they are similar.

Attachments

• DSC03770.jpg
    DSC03770.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 13
  • lanikai.jpg
    lanikai.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I would definitely buy my uke from Hawaii music supply.
Check out their range of Kalas - some are on sale for great prices.

Both Lanikai and Kala, in my experience, do not come default with a good setup. I've had better experience with Kala than Lanikai, but they're very similar.

From Hawaii Music Supply with their pro setup - can't beat it!

I have played the kala longneck and have to say it is a very nice sounding uke. I thought it sounded sweet and nice. I owned it for a day before returning it. The sound was great and i was in two minds if i should return it because the finish wasn't to my liking. The one i had had 4 small dinks at the bottom, seemed like it was pushed onto a stand, hence the 4 symmetrical marks. On the back, the finish wasnt done properly, some of the wood grains missed being laqueured. At certain angles of view you can see a clear diff in colour. In the end i returned it because i know that i would one day upgrade my uke and hence these imperfections might affect its resale value. If not for that the sound is great.

Well, i didnt order either. I did however order the pono mahogany concert micro blem from HMS.....

Top Bottom