Cordoba Pepe Ukuleles Incoming! :D

PedalFreak

Reaction score
Just got word from Cordoba that our shipment of the new Pepe Romero designed ukulele's are on their way!

Can't wait. I'll post some photos and review when they come in. I know there have been people looking for these, so wanted to share that they're making their way into the world now.

I was hoping these would be built very much like Pepe's ukes, but I heard this about the bracing in the 30 series from Cordoba.

"The 30 series ukuleles feature traditional fan bracing, not like the inverted fan design used in many of Pepe's ukes. Our goal was to stick to tradition in this instance, favoring true classical guitar design."

I was hoping these would be built very much like Pepe's ukes, but I heard this about the bracing in the 30 series from Cordoba.

"The 30 series ukuleles feature traditional fan bracing, not like the inverted fan design used in many of Pepe's ukes. Our goal was to stick to tradition in this instance, favoring true classical guitar design."

Hey, it's still a design by Pepe. If he made them identical, what would be the point in him making his high end ukes :)

Hey, it's still a design by Pepe. If he made them identical, what would be the point in him making his high end ukes :)

True.

I guess another example of limiting design features in production models is the Islander Uke, which does not have TRU bracing, but does have many other Kanile'a-like design features.

However, the current KoAlanas have a uni-brace like the KoAlohas, but of course are only made in mahogany. Yes, I guess differences have to put into production ukes.

I definitely don't think these will compare directly to a Pepe uke but at least they are built with similar thoughts in mind. They should be lightweight with thin finishes and have a wider fretboard. I think it will be a different sound would like to try one.

Are there two companies named Cordoba, or does the one company make ukuleles in two countries? I saw four Cordoba ukuleles in a store last week, and all were labeled 'Made in China' If the Pepe is another oriental instrument, what will make it special besides the name?

They are much lighter. More volume and better tone than the 20 and 25 series. They are made in China. They don't sound as good as a Pepe.
But if Pepe moved his shop to China, the 'ukulele would sound just as good. Actually, I'm not sure if they have surf. Maybe they wouldn't sound as good.
I liked this video with the Acacia 35T, I think that's the model

Didn't Cordoba have their original series made by APC in Portugal?

These 30 Series look nice...
...How will the Pepe compare in construction & price :confused:

Andrew would probably be better to answer the comparisson question, he carries Pepe's. Do you carry the Cordoba's too Andrew? I believe Pepe's are around $2500 starting price, and the design is different between the Cordoba's he designed and the ukes he builds. I emailed Pepe about selling his ukes also, but he's got such a list of instruments to build he's not taking any more dealers on. Maybe in the future tho :)

The Cordoba 30 Series start at $499 and go to $599.

Dang, that's a bummer now I'm no longer interested. For some reason, I thought these were going to be made in Portugal as well.

They are much lighter. More volume and better tone than the 20 and 25 series. They are made in China. They don't sound as good as a Pepe.
But if Pepe moved his shop to China, the 'ukulele would sound just as good. Actually, I'm not sure if they have surf. Maybe they wouldn't sound as good.
I liked this video with the Acacia 35T, I think that's the model

Just got word from Cordoba that our shipment of the new Pepe Romero designed ukulele's are on their way!

Can't wait. I'll post some photos and review when they come in. I know there have been people looking for these, so wanted to share that they're making their way into the world now.

Did they arrive yet?

Hi,
Anyone got their Cordoba 30 series tenor yet~ Can you guys share about how you feel about it.
Tried to find info about Cordoba 30 series online but dont really see people talking about them!

I've played all the available 30 series models, both at winter NAMM and summer NAMM. They are changing some things about the finish. At this point they are pretty much a gloss finish (at least the ones at the summer show), but you can still see grain dimples through it, so its very light. The next run is supposed to have a lighter more hand rubbed style finish, more like a french polish type style.

I've only played them in the noisey NAMM environment, but the ones this summer sounded pretty dang good. They are much more of a "small classical guitar" type of sound, rather than a folk instrument sound. I sort of classify ukuleles like this in my mind. Some builds are more modern and refined sounding, others are more folky and organic. I don't think one is better than the other, just depends on what you like to hear.

The Cordoba 30 series definatley falls into the more modern build category, but I liked the feel and the sounds where solid. The ones on display at the summer show seemed to be better across the board than the winter ones. Not that they were bad, but less consistent from instrument to instrument. Also, it was supper loud at the winter show.

Not too many companies really operate in this mid-price range, kinda half way between the common mass produced lines and custom hand built stuff. I think that its cool that cordoba is going for it in that way. I'm sure there are some growing pains associated with a brand new series, but Cordoba seems really on it as far as putting out consistently good products in the uke market.

The 30 series has a lot of the nuance and style you would expect from an upper level instrument. They seem to be a little lighter build, and pretty vibrant and reactive as a result. My understanding is that there is a specialty shop within the factory that is handling the 30 series to ensure the QC and sound quality is what it should be. I haven't yet handled them in an environment that really favored analysis, but my initial impression was good.

Last edited:
Hi, Johnny!
Thanks for the reply!

So since these Cordoba 30s kinda fall in an awkward price range, do you recommend people to buy these Cordoba or save up couple hundred more to get second handed K brands?

Hi, Johnny!
Thanks for the reply!

So since these Cordoba 30s kinda fall in an awkward price range, do you recommend people to buy these Cordoba or save up couple hundred more to get second handed K brands?

I saw a few of these 30 series at our workshop earlier today. Maybe I can record tonight along side some other options for a comparison video/blog, for what it's worth.... Like John G said, it depends on what you like to hear. There's no right answer to this.

Top Bottom