PDA

View Full Version : Favorite size?

BIGDB
03-26-2013, 05:07 PM
Was wondering what everyone's favorite size was. Soprano, concert, tenor, baritone, or other if you pick other please write what your favorite is like a super soprano or whatever

kvehe
03-26-2013, 05:09 PM
No question, baritone. Then tenor, super concert, concert, super soprano, soprano, sopranino.

vanflynn
03-26-2013, 05:19 PM
I started on concert, like soprano, trying to get to like tenor, but keep coming back to the concert. It just cradles right.

To each there own!

cletus
03-26-2013, 05:23 PM
Super soprano. At the moment...

mds725
03-26-2013, 05:36 PM
Baritones for now, followed by tenors.

wickedwahine11
03-26-2013, 05:39 PM
Tenors. I have a superconcert and two sopranos, but never play them, just the tenors.

lisaxy424
03-26-2013, 05:47 PM
Tenors fo sho - anything smaller makes me feel like godzilla :)

Telperion
03-26-2013, 06:03 PM
.....keep coming back to the concert. It just cradles right.

I love tenors, but more and more I find myself playing concert for the reason given above.

Chris Tarman
03-26-2013, 06:06 PM
Soprano. I have one baritone, one tenor, two concerts, and a whole mess o' sopranos. I can't remember the last time I played one of the larger sizes.

Tigeralum2001
03-26-2013, 06:14 PM
It's not the size of the uke, it's the motion of the strumming... sorry, couldn't resist...

Mivo
03-26-2013, 10:00 PM
Going back and forth between soprano and tenor, with a preference for the soprano. It doesn't feel as much like a little guitar (whenever I practice with the tenor a while, I end up looking at travel guitars). However, I really do enjoy the tenor sound, so I'm a little stuck when it comes to picking my favorite size. Wouldn't be surprised if some day it turned out to be the concert :).

-Emma-
03-26-2013, 10:11 PM
Started off playing a tenor, but after recently getting a concert scale RISA uke and concert scale Banjolele, I have to say that I'm enjoying playing my concert scale ukes and am finding it a bit easier than the tenor.

I've never played a soprano, but am thinking about buying one in the future.

Tootler
03-26-2013, 10:34 PM
Soprano, definitely. I have one concert, the rest are sopranos. They just feel right in my hands.

guitharsis
03-26-2013, 11:30 PM
Concerts. Yes, they cradle just right and the fretboard is easier to manage than the tenor. Have two great sopranos that never get played.

frisbee fred
03-27-2013, 12:09 AM
It's not the size of the uke, it's the motion of the strumming... sorry, couldn't resist...

Spoken by someone who has a small uke.....

mm stan
03-27-2013, 12:26 AM
Love them all.....it depends on what you play and your style...

dkcrown
03-27-2013, 01:00 AM
Tenors. And I do mean plural.:)

ukuhippo
03-27-2013, 01:13 AM
Soprano is my favourite, allthough I do play my Baritone sometimes. I don't care for concerts, tenors or longnecks.

teruterubouzu
03-27-2013, 02:06 AM
I really like the soprano sound, but concert is the most playable for me.

sukie
03-27-2013, 02:36 AM
Super-concert.

molokinirum
03-27-2013, 04:00 AM
I love both the concert and tenor sizes. Sopranos are a bit too small for me.

wayfarer75
03-27-2013, 04:09 AM
Today, it's concert. I like its versatility. Sounds soprano-y when you want it to but you can play it like a tenor too. Also it's not too big for itsy bitsy me.

twistedsoda
03-27-2013, 04:53 AM
Soprano.. All the way. I have a tenor and it reminds me too much of a guitar. And there's too many of those around the house. I love sopranos, it's just what a ukulele should be for me.

DaleR
03-27-2013, 05:07 AM
Just got my hand on my new Fluke. First concert size and it feels pretty good! Will need some more time to see if it outranks the sopranos I have, but this may be very possible.

SailQwest
03-27-2013, 05:16 AM
Concert fits me best, and is what I play the most. I play tenor some, but it's a bit of a struggle.

My husband plays tenors almost exclusively.

mrlongtree
03-27-2013, 05:26 AM
Concert for me, I play it the most. I do also play my soprano, but less so.

DaveVisi
03-27-2013, 05:30 AM
Coming from the guitar world, I started with a tenor. Through a series of lucky circumstances, my second uke was a soprano. I just couldn't get the hang of the tiny fretboard, so I bought a concert. Now I'm hooked. Concert it is.

Coconut Willie
03-27-2013, 05:53 AM
Love to play the concert size....lots of fun. Even though I have tenors!!

HBolte
03-27-2013, 05:56 AM
Concert, followed closely by soprano.

GaryC1968
03-27-2013, 06:12 AM
Baritone for me. I've started stringing my baritones GCEA and I really like it.

UKEonomics
03-27-2013, 06:22 AM
Another vote for soprano. I'm not convinced that the size matters so much (to me, at least). Rather, I think that having a good player sways you towards a particular size. My first three ukes were a soprano, concert, and baritone. I LOVED that concert more than the others. Then I bought an old Favilla (soprano), which has become my go to ukulele and has really made me prefer sopranos. Ah, but heck, I love 'em all!

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
03-27-2013, 06:30 AM
I'll always be a soprano uke guy. I used to have no interest in any other scales, but over the past year, I've learned to love the baritone ukulele as well. I'm even starting to get curious about concert and tenor ukes (especially curious about tuning them down to GbBbEbAb for mellowness).

dnewton2
03-27-2013, 06:53 AM
Concert.

In the earlier days of UU i am pretty sure Tenors ruled the land, but it seems now size prefernce has been moving towards other sizes, according to poll results currently.

caukulele
03-27-2013, 07:05 AM
I find the concert most comfortable to play, and I also enjoy the super concert...but love the full sound and tone of the tenor....Sometimes, at night when I'm very tired and want to be a "couch potato" the soprano works best for me.... So, all three work for me in different ways.

Lideruke
03-27-2013, 07:11 AM
My favorite size uke is soprano, but my favorite uke is a concert, and it's just about all I play

bbycrts
03-27-2013, 08:25 AM
I like super sopranos the best.

Hippie Dribble
03-27-2013, 09:31 AM
love em all for different reasons. I think I play sopranos most often, followed by concerts and baritones.

finkdaddy
03-27-2013, 09:57 AM
Big or small. It doesn't matter as long as they're natural.
Wait....what was the question again?

tigersister
03-27-2013, 01:48 PM
I waffle between concert and soprano, so I'm getting a custom super soprano. I figure it's the best of both worlds.

Markr1
03-27-2013, 02:08 PM
For me it's tenor first and my only other option of choice is super concert.

DaleR
03-27-2013, 05:53 PM
Got my first concert today. Too big and I still prefer the soprano...pina to be exact!

johninmass
03-28-2013, 02:03 AM
Concert is my favorite size, feels the best when playing. Love the sound of the tenor, but struggle with the fingering. Oddly enough, I bought the tenor to play fingerstyle and picked up an inexpensive concert to strum, loved the concert size so I upgraded. Now I play the concert to fingerstyle and tenor to strum.

bborzell
03-30-2013, 06:26 PM
Truth be told, I have never appreciated sopranos. It took playing around with a tenor, (with a low G, at that) to get me hooked. Now that I am playing the uke more than any guitar or mandolin I own, I am open to considering the smaller bodies. Although, I will probably sneak up to them by starting out with another tenor with hi G.

NewKid
03-30-2013, 10:26 PM
Interesting poll so far. Concert is #1 and the only major size I don't play. The baritone is just so versatile and rich for me.

NewKid
03-31-2013, 10:44 AM
This poll makes Baritone players look like the lunatic fringe!

GaryC1968
03-31-2013, 10:51 AM

I like to think of it as an exclusive club. :)

Pippin
03-31-2013, 11:09 AM
I played a bunch of tunes today on my KoAloha Super-Concert.

slapbass
04-02-2013, 08:46 AM
I play tenors and concert euqually..Just depends on whats closest to the couch at that time..

Gary Gill
04-02-2013, 12:18 PM
I like the feel of the tenor scale best.

OldePhart
04-02-2013, 12:32 PM
I like the feel of the concert or tenor scale the best, but the sound of the traditional soprano body the best. So...I guess my favorite is still longneck soprano. Of course...I also love my baritones...

John

Steedy
04-02-2013, 03:36 PM
Concert. It's not too small and not too large, but just right. Not to say other sizes are too small or too large. I like Sopranos and Tenors also, but for sheer comfort and playability, I love my Concerts the best.

bnolsen
04-02-2013, 05:40 PM

Just confused. A bari player is stuck somewhere between as a wannabe guitar player or a wannabe ukulele player.

I voted soprano but I'm also liking the fret spacing on the fluke some as well. I may have to try this super soprano thing.

itsme
04-02-2013, 05:48 PM
I'm a tenor gal myself. Have soprano, concert and bari, but tenor is what I gravitate to most.

dkpianoman21
04-02-2013, 06:40 PM
The results so far surprised me. I would have thought that soprano would be the most popular, followed by tenor, concert, and baritone.

I voted for tenor, because being a recent convert from the guitar, soprano and concert feel too cramped to me.

DaveVisi
04-02-2013, 06:44 PM
After a while I found that tenors limited me in large fret stretches. Concert is my #1 choice now.

Doc_J
05-06-2017, 02:54 PM
Found it interesting that baritones are only 5-6% of most size-preference polls.

Guess this might explain why baritones can take longer to sell in the marketplace, it is much smaller market than for the other sizes.

bratsche
05-06-2017, 04:15 PM
Baritone for me, followed by tenor. Tenor is actually a more comfortable scale for my hands to play, but the baritone tone is what does it for me sonorally.

bratsche

YogaBill
05-06-2017, 05:15 PM
Up until today I would have gone concert hands down...until I found a quality soprano. :)

player
05-06-2017, 05:46 PM
Soprano. Three reasons:
Elvis played one
It's small enough for laying down while playing
Return to the first two

As a bonus: I like the fretboard being exactly one octave.

farmerjones
05-06-2017, 09:09 PM
I like the extremes. I play baritone mostly, and then soprano after that. I mostly just like the soprano for what it _is_ rather than the sound.

Croaky Keith
05-06-2017, 10:10 PM
As of today, tenor & concert are equal, followed by soprano, then baritone.

I started out with a tenor, quickly bought a soprano, then a concert, & I stayed with the concert scale for most of my first year.
But then I found I could play the tenor scale easier, now that my hands had loosened up playing concerts, so I switched to tenor scale.

Both concert & tenors were in low G, so I thought I'd try a baritone, what a revelation that was, fantastic tone - but the scale was too long for me.
So back to tenor scale I went, but tried it with different sized bodies, still in low G, & that's where I am today, using a tenor scale/concert body solid mahogany as my main uke.

(I still have all the others, so that if I fancy a change of tone, I can just pick one up to play it.)

TopDog
05-06-2017, 11:26 PM
I have tried every scale size available, and for me, soprano all the way!
I still own one tenor,which hardly ever gets played,and two concert scale
ukes, which do get some play. And to be honest, my 'main' and most played
ukulele is a luthier built sopranino! As ever, what suits YOU is right for you!

Osprey
05-07-2017, 01:46 AM
I started on Tenors and have owned several of them. Still own two that I really like. However, several months ago I bought a Baritone. I really love that size. A week or so ago one of the newer players in our group was having trouble with a chord, so I took her soprano to show her a technique. I really enjoyed the little soprano. I may have to get a decent soprano someday myself

DownUpDave
05-07-2017, 02:54 AM
Found it interesting that baritones are only 5-6% of most size-preference polls.

Guess this might explain why baritones can take longer to sell in the marketplace, it is much smaller market than for the other sizes.

Good points Hodge. I voted tenor but I spend almost as much time playing baritone. It appears there are plenty of people that play baritone........it just isn't their #1 choice.

ukuleleden
05-07-2017, 04:10 AM
Nice to see so much love for the Concert...

Doc_J
05-07-2017, 04:36 AM
Good points Hodge. I voted tenor but I spend almost as much time playing baritone. It appears there are plenty of people that play baritone........it just isn't their #1 choice.

True, Dave. Many of us like playing baritones, but may prefer another size (if we had to pick only 1).

Interesting snapshot of inventory at HMS website this morning:
Soprano (31)
Concert (40)
Tenor (117)
Baritone (26)
Guitalele (6)

I'd guess they probably sell more tenors than the other sizes.

JJFN
05-07-2017, 04:51 AM
It depends on what I am playing. Concert's for picking, tenor's and baritone for strumming. And then whether I want low or high G. In short, it depends on my many moods.

Ukulele Eddie
05-07-2017, 04:56 AM
I like them all, but play soprano the least. If I had to have only one uke, it would likely be a 16" which is sort of like cheating as it splits the difference between concert and tenor.

UkerDanno
05-07-2017, 05:01 AM
True, Dave. Many of us like playing baritones, but may prefer another size (if we had to pick only 1).

Interesting snapshot of inventory at HMS website this morning:
Soprano (31)
Concert (40)
Tenor (117)
Baritone (26)
Guitalele (6)

I'd guess they probably sell more tenors than the other sizes.

Odd, because in this poll, concerts are the favorites by a small margin. Also, seems like most of the discussion and marketplace listings are for tenors.

I play concert the most, but really enjoy my old Martin. Tried tenor, but the reaches are too much.

If I had to whittle down to 1 uke, I would keep the old Martin, it's the most fun! :shaka:

Rakelele
05-07-2017, 10:09 PM
I have a clear preference for the bigger sizes (and linear Tuning), with Tenor probably being my all time favorite, but followed by things like the Pono Baritone Nui and their UL models. While most Baritones have a relatively small body and thus a limited resonance at lower frequencies, I find that the UL is an ideal size for tuning to DGBE but still small enough to hold and play comfortably.

Measured in playing time, I would say it's Tenors, then Baritones and their big brothers, and then there's a wide gap to Concert and an even wider gap to Soprano. I do like the typical reentrant Ukulele Sound, but most of what I enjoy playing works better with linear tuning and the increased sustain of a Tenor or Baritone.

hikaru
05-08-2017, 10:39 AM
I like the concert scale a lot, either long-neck sopranos or just plain concerts. Tenors seem just too much a stretch for my hands...

If there is such a thing as a short-neck tenor in concert scale, I might get it one day as well!

bratsche
05-08-2017, 10:53 AM
I wish there was such thing as a short-necked baritone in tenor scale. ;-)

bratsche

Doc_J
05-08-2017, 02:09 PM

bratsche

Kanile'a does make a super tenor (tenor scale with a body a wide as a baritone).

bratsche
05-08-2017, 02:22 PM
Yeah, I saw that one. Hard to evaluate, as it sounds like a tenor. I'd love to hear it strung as a baritone. Heck, I couldn't afford it, anyway, so never mind...

bratsche

Tigermelon
09-05-2017, 01:08 PM
I was interested in the ukulele because it's such an approachable instrument but I just didn't like the traditional sound associated with sopranos. The first time I heard a guy playing a tenor I was intrigued by the sound and astounded to learn that it was an ukulele. It only took a minimum of hemming and hawing before I invested in one and I've never regretted it.

While I have learned to respect the full range of instruments, the tenor will always have my heart.

zztush
09-05-2017, 09:56 PM

Same as Ringo Starr in the Beatles. It just isn't their #1 choice.

Croaky Keith
09-05-2017, 10:26 PM
As of now, my main players are small body tenor scale, followed by concert scale soprano body, & occasionally my baritone, but I still find the scale a bit big for me.

The soprano scale, I have decided, just doesn't work for me, so concert scale & above. :)

Pleasure Paul
09-06-2017, 01:49 AM
Someone here had a quote "soprano - anything else is cheating". I like the quote. But discussing personal preferences is useless... To each his own. I'm interested in the stats though.

JackLuis
09-06-2017, 08:52 PM

bratsche

While they make Bari-Tenor strings I've found regular Tenor stings work well tuned dGBE. Aquila Nylguts not so much. My fav's are D'Addario Carbons EJ99T and Fremont Black lines, or Worth Brown Fats for a 'warmer" tone. Fremont makes a Bari-tenor set but they aren't much different in diameters. I have two Tenors tuned dGBE and play my Bari re-entrant as well. Low D bari sounds too much like a guitar to me. Tenors are my fav's but Concert in C6 tuning is very nice.

Debussychopin
09-06-2017, 08:59 PM
I like soprano bc it is very difficult to finger but still is a bona fide instrument capable of producing complex classical music.

g'est
09-06-2017, 09:22 PM
If there is such a thing as a short-neck tenor in concert scale, I might get it one day as well!

I think Brüko (Brueko) makes a jumbo concert (tenor body combined with concert scale).

Ukulelerick9255
09-07-2017, 12:42 PM
5'2 36dd,24,34

AlohaKine
09-07-2017, 02:52 PM
I only like Tenors, anything smaller and my fingers feel to bunched up on the fretboard...

DanY
09-07-2017, 03:08 PM
I started with the concert, but prefer tenors. Sopranos are fun though!

M3Ukulele
09-07-2017, 03:15 PM
I'm tenor all the was. It feels right. I like the sound. Love looking at the other sizes but tenor is it! I will have tontry others but they feel small in my hands

Iza
09-07-2017, 10:26 PM
I've only tried sopranos and concerts and sopranos seemed a little too small for me. I didn't have an issue with the fretboard, my fingers are very thin anyway, I just couldn't hold them comfrtably. I have a concert and it's perfect. Tenors should be fine too, but one of the reasons I got into learning the ukulele was the portability of it - I play the guitar too. Tenors seem a bit too large.

FinnP
09-08-2017, 01:28 AM
I've just bought a Kanilea K1 deluxe tenor. I like it, but I find myself playing my 2011 Kanilea K1 concert all the time. When I compare the two, the concert has a much fuller sound.