Buying blemished ukuleles?

-Emma-

Reaction score
Have you ever or would you consider buying a blemished ukulele?

I was browsing the specials on the HMS site and saw a blem special for a uke with very light strum marks, and was wondering what you all thought about buying blemished ukuleles.

Or do you only buy ukuleles in perfect condition?

I wouldn't think twice about buying a blem uke from a reputable dealer like HMS. Often the blems are so miniscule that they are difficult to see-- so you get a great uke at a bargain price.

I buy blemished or used whenever possible. most of the time it's a tiny scratch or dimple that's hardly noticeable. if you play an instrument it's probable you will blemish them yourself anyway. heck, if I can get a good deal I'll buy them with cracks or other more serious damage.

I would too. If you email HMS they can probably tell you what the blemish is. I've also heard that Koaloha sometimes sells blemished ukes on their factory tours. That's something I'm considering when I go to Hawaii next year (trip isn't official yet, but I'm crossing my fingers).

Excellent point on Koaloha. They frequently have blems at very good prices. While they don't advertise them on their website, if you contact them, they will let you know what they have.

What would be interesting to know, is, how do you knoe you are buying a blem if you are not buying from the store. It may be useful to get a list to protect ourselves from the more unscrupulous sellers. (None of who'm I'm sure are on UU)
One brand I believe, stamps a 2 on the back of the headstock, another places a black mark on the lower right hand corner of the label in the body.
To clarify I mean facotry seconds not ex display stock.
Any other options?
h

Last edited:
I own a Koaloha sceond, and from what I can tell the blemish does not affect the playability or sound of the uke. Like said before as long as you are buying from a reputable dealer, blems are a score.

I have purchased a few finish blemished ukes and have not regretted it. Ukes are to be used and they will all show wear and tear over time

What would be interesting to know, is, how do you knoe you are buying a blem if you are not buying from the store. It may be useful to get a list to protect ourselves from the more unscrupulous sellers. (None of who'm I'm sure are on UU)
One brand I believe, stamps a 2 on the back of the headstock, another places a black mark on the lower right hand corner of the label in the body.
Any other options?
h

That uke looks and sounds very nice. The peg head tuners are quality, it comes with a hard case and it's solid Koa.

Any other options?
h
my Lanikai 2nds from Butler have a D stamped on the top of the headstock. don't know if Butler does it or Lanikai.

Aloha Emma,
I am not fond of Anuenues....maybe a pono would be better..but I'd get it a uke from HMS..go for it girl

Why aren't you fond of them? I need to do some research into them...

I'm also interested in getting a pono (damn UAS ;) ) ...the MCD- Mahogany Concert Deluxe.

The Anuenue is more a "shopworn" uke than a blemished second, which would sell for less from the factory. I would have no issues buying either a second or a shopworn uke. As long as any issues are purely cosmetic and not structural (which should be the case here), I would go for it. As for whether Anuenue in general is any good, I have no opinion.

Emma, I own the aNue Nue Khaya Mahogany concert and tenor and find them both to be beautiful instruments. These are not "boomy" or "barky" sounding mahogany instruments but a more refined, chimey sound with teriffic sustain.
Both are lightweight, delicate feeling, beautifully finished, excellent volume -especially my concert - and nicely intoned. I've not played the aNue Nue 1879 koa but there are a few reviews you cans easily access for specifics about that instrument. a NueNue in my experience makes top notch ukuleles.

I wouldn't think twice about buying a blem uke from a reputable dealer like HMS.

I didn't!

I have an Islander Rosewood/Spruce Tenor from HMS being set up now. Should be here next week. I'm going to end up putting a ding or mark on anything I use eventually. If someone else is "paying" me for the right to put that first ding on it I'll take it. Not only do I save (over 50% on the HMS usual price) but I don't have to worry when my first mark gets on the instrument! :)

I got a Mainland blem baritone, and it just had a small chip out of the clear gloss finish over a area of the binding. You have to really look to find it. No regrets at all. It is my first bari, and I wanted to try it out without spending too much.

–Lori

Pono has a refurbished stock also,i know someone who went to Pono/Ko'olau and bought it from John Kistakas..they have a separate area for all of those ukes..

Ask Andrew how to get ahold of them..if you like Pono go for it

I love to find a good deal on a cosmetic blem. Probably a third of my ukes are blems. Actually, correction, almost all of my ukes have got at least some minor blemish, it's just that on about a third of them it was already there and I got a discount for it and on the rest I put it there in the course of playing and handling the uke. :)

On some the blemish was so minor it had to be pointed out to me. I remember at UWC last year I was picking up a mahogany soprano that I'd asked Mainland Mike to have ready for me. When I picked it up he pointed out a tiny little dark mark in the wood and said something like "after we set this up for you we realized it's got that little spot in the wood - I can give you a discount or if you like I can set another one up."

I was like, "really, for that little spot?" Honestly I would probably have never noticed it, and even after it was pointed out I would have bought the uke at full price because it really meant nothing to me, but Mike insisted. After I got it home that uke "played in" like none other I've had and it's now my number one uke and far more valuable to me than my far more expensive ukes that were not "blemished."

Edit to add: Oh, and let's not forget the Pono "blemished" MBD that I got a few months ago. I still haven't figured out what is supposed to be wrong with it. I thought I had figured it out because the strings were just slightly off center on the neck down at the soundhole end of the fretboard as if maybe the bridge was about 1mm off to the side - then Chuck mentioned that he intentionally does that on some of his customs because it gives people more room for finger vibrato on the A string. So, I'm back to wondering what's "wrong" with the uke...whatever it was saved me over $100 and I've been looking for a "blemished" ABD to pop up ever since...

John

Last edited:
Hey John get ahold of Pono direct and see about their refurbished ukes,you save a lot of money and they have some nice ukes..

Top Bottom