Ukes Down Under

Cornfield

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
The Mrs and I are scheduled to do am tour of Australia and Tasmania that takes the whole month of November. I'm wondering what uke people we might encounter on the trip.

We go to Sydney, Ayers Rock, Uluru, Alice Springs, Darwin, Kukudo National Park. Perth, Albany, Esperance, Kalgoorlie, Adelaide, Melbourne, Hobart Tasmania, and Strahan.
The tour company has us driving, flying and on the Indian-Pacific train.

I'll have to bring along at least one uke. We are hoping we'll be able to meet up with some UU'ers while we are there.

Enjoy your trip. You are going to be travelling through some HUGE changes in local climates from hot humid, hot dry, temperate to cool in Tasmania. Take a full range of clothes and consider that any ukulele you bring you will be subjecting to large fluctuations in temperature and humidity.

Regardless, enjoy your trip. I'm a few hundred km's from your starting point of Sydney.

Anthony

Enjoy your trip. You are going to be travelling through some HUGE changes in local climates from hot humid, hot dry, temperate to cool in Tasmania. Take a full range of clothes and consider that any ukulele you bring you will be subjecting to large fluctuations in temperature and humidity.

Regardless, enjoy your trip. I'm a few hundred km's from your starting point of Sydney.

Anthony

Maybe I should get an inexpensive laminate to take along? I have taken the reso on trips before, being all metal it is resistant to humidity changes.

Ned Trewartha in Tasmania...master wooden boat builder and uke maker. He's about a 45 minute drive South of Hobart. Also, go to the Lark pub in Hobart for music and great drinks. See if my old friends Coyote Serenade are playing there.

Tasmania is just beautiful in every way; I've been there five times and taught my "Build a Mandolin in Four Days" there twice.

Ned Trewartha in Tasmania...master wooden boat builder and uke maker. He's about a 45 minute drive South of Hobart. Also, go to the Lark pub in Hobart for music and great drinks. See if my old friends Coyote Serenade are playing there.

Tasmania is just beautiful in every way; I've been there five times and taught my "Build a Mandolin in Four Days" there twice.

Ned is an amazing craftsman for sure http://www.nedtrewarthawoodenboats.com.au/

The door's always open at me and eugenie's little corner of paradise. Let us know when you're coming through John and I'll put the kettle on...

:cheers:

And be sure to get in contact with me and the Melbourne Ukulele Kollective when you come through Melbourne (and remember to pronounce it "Melb'n"!).

Cheers

Harry

I'm really looking forward to the trip. I don't know how tight the tour company " Adventures Abroad" keeps us. I sure hope I can get to meet you fine folks. Please pm contact info tween now and then so I'll know how to reach you.

I'm in the Hobart area. The Hobart Ukulele Group (aka Hugs) meet on a Monday night (at a pub, of course) in North Hobart - I've only been once but they seem like a great group of people who have a lot of fun.
I go to a little class of adult learnings that meet just south of Hobart on a Thursday night.

Hey Rick, where is the Lark pub? I've never heard of it - mind you, I'm not really a pub person.

If you are in Adelaide on a Tuesday, the Adelaide Ukulele Appreciation Society (AUAS) meets at The Governer Hindmarsh Hotel at 7:30pm.

It's an informal gathering where we sit around and learn new songs and techniques. Some go off into groups, work on a new piece and then perform it for everyone at the end of the night.

If you Google AUAS, you can check out the website.

Cheers
Darren

The weather in sydney has been kind of random aswell, but I hope when you come to sydney, it will be fine!

Where are you in Tasmania?

In the bush mate...we're about an hour and a half drive east of Strahan - pronounced Strawn - (beautiful lil' fishing village on the north-west coast) and roughly 2 hours north of Hobart. The town is called Birralee...actually, it's less a town than it is a couple of houses and a handful of dogs. People generally drive through it on the way somewhere else. Westbury, Frankford and Exeter are the closest inhabited places...all about 20 mins in various directions.

But for the sheer novelty and headtrip of meeting someone else from the American UU fraternity I'd meet up with you in Hobart if necessary mate (mum and dad live down there anyway), or catch you in Strahan...plus, like I said, door's always open if you got a spare few hours and feel like a jam...we could organise something I'm sure John :)

Maybe I should get an inexpensive laminate to take along? I have taken the reso on trips before, being all metal it is resistant to humidity changes.
why not buy our own australian made ukulele......maton concert......you wont be disappointed....

why not buy our own australian made ukulele......maton concert......you wont be disappointed....

or pre order one from Tasmania's own Ned Trewartha, one of only a couple of guys doing classy instrument building down here...there's another fellow in Hobart but his ukes start at 2 grand +. It would be a genuinely Tasmanian uke as Ned pretty much only uses Tassie woods, you could go for the short, scenic drive down to Gordon and pick it up in person.

or pre order one from Tasmania's own Ned Trewartha, one of only a couple of guys doing classy instrument building down here...there's another fellow in Hobart but his ukes start at 2 grand +. It would be a genuinely Tasmanian uke as Ned pretty much only uses Tassie woods, you could go for the short, scenic drive down to Gordon and pick it up in person.

I found Ned's website. Who is the Hobart builder? Have you made videos with either of their instruments?

In the bush mate...we're about an hour and a half drive east of Strahan - pronounced Strawn - (beautiful lil' fishing village on the north-west coast) and roughly 2 hours north of Hobart. The town is called Birralee...actually, it's less a town than it is a couple of houses and a handful of dogs. People generally drive through it on the way somewhere else. Westbury, Frankford and Exeter are the closest inhabited places...all about 20 mins in various directions.

Boy you must drive fast or have a helicopter !!! Strahan is on the West coast - definitely west. I went there last year, took me about 4 hours from Hobart without stopping. And Gordon? I wouldn't characterise that as a short drive either. :biglaugh: But yeah, oughtn't be more than a couple of hours from Hobart where you are. Maybe we could... but I am very much a beginner.

I saw Ned's ukuleles at the Cygnet Folk Festival this year, had a little play but I hadn't been playing long enough to know what I was looking/listening for. They looked & sounded nice. I did hear him describe them as 'Euculeles' because they have eucalyptus wood in them. There was another guy selling ukes & a harp/uke/guitar thingy Paul Menier? Something like that anyway.

Boy you must drive fast or have a helicopter !!! Strahan is on the West coast - definitely west. I went there last year, took me about 4 hours from Hobart without stopping. And Gordon? I wouldn't characterise that as a short drive either. :biglaugh: But yeah, oughtn't be more than a couple of hours from Hobart where you are. Maybe we could... but I am very much a beginner.

I saw Ned's ukuleles at the Cygnet Folk Festival this year, had a little play but I hadn't been playing long enough to know what I was looking/listening for. They looked & sounded nice. I did hear him describe them as 'Euculeles' because they have eucalyptus wood in them. There was another guy selling ukes & a harp/uke/guitar thingy Paul Menier? Something like that anyway.

yeah, geography not a strong point, it's west as opposed to nw, I stand corrected. I am an idiot...obviously forgot my medication again this morning :eek:

everywhere's a short drive when you live where we do Katz, gotta stay positive y'know. :p and what a lovely drive down to Gordon from Hobart, eh

as for the time factor...na, no helicopter here...I meant that Strahan is around 1 &1/2 hours to our west and that Hobart is around 2 hours to our south...though clearly now, as I have no idea where it is I may have to reasess that he he :rolleyes:

Top Bottom