More new (to me) strings...

OldePhart

Reaction score
Yesterday I put a set of concert Ko'Olau Mahana strings on my mango soprano (I almost always put concert strings on my soprano ukes - I like some tension and they seem to intonate much better up the neck, too).

To be honest, I didn't really expect to like the Mahana strings that much but I like to try a little of everything. I figured if I was going to like them on anything it would probably be the mango soprano as it is the brightest uke I have and I keep it tuned up to D.

They've not fully settled in yet but the intonation is very good and I like the feel and the sound. I don't think I'd care for them much on a more mellow uke, but on this bright mango they are pretty tasty. I haven't really decided if I like them as much as the Ko'Olau Gold strings (and it's hard to judge in this case because the Golds I took off were soprano strings) but it's a close enough contest that it will probably take a couple of string changes before I decide if one is better than the other.

John

Aloha John,
Mahalo for your insite. Haven't tried the Mahanas yet but I love the Alohis on everything I tried them on. The golds to me were too fat feeling on my tenor but sounded good........

Did you use the non-wound set?

Did you use the non-wound set?

Yes.

BTW, they're still settling in...they seem a little slower than some other strings in that respect. But, I am finding that I like them quite a bit on the bright mango and tuned up to D. I just recorded a song using them, check the videos section of the forum.

John

Top Bottom