To Sell or Not To Sell?

pebbleInDaPacific

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, just wanted to throw it out there to help me in my decision making. I'm currently torn between keeping my 2009 Kamaka Concert ukulele that I have but have never really played that it even smells brand spankin new. Over the years I have come to prefer playing the Tenor size and am now getting ready to go on vacation to Hawaii where I plan on picking up a KoAloha Tenor so I need the funding for it.

I currently have a Kamaka soprano and a tenor, and part of the reason I am reluctant to let it go is because I don't want to separate the family. But I do however, feel bad because it is not getting the love it needs and it's voice is not being heard. Please help me decide. What would you do aside from the typical "get em all keep em all" mentality as I could no longer afford to do that. :(

Here she is

Betty.JPG

Sell it. Get the tenor you want.

If it's not being loved, it's time for the Kamaka to move on. I'm sure you'll find a buyer willing to give it a good home.

ETA: Have a wonderful time in Hawaii!

While in Hawaii, try other kamaka concerts...maybe this isn't just the one as tigersister suggested.....of course check out the koaloha factory ahead and tell them
to reserve you a tenor if they have one....and no forget HMS they give free set ups which might just be better....hee hee

No, don't sell it - or at least don't advertise it here!!!

I thought was safe, but if that baby turns up here, I don't know that I could resist :drool:

Seriously though, if it isn't being played & loved, you have to ask yourself if you're a ukulele player or a collector of ukuleles.

I guess I personally enjoy having one uke of each size. That is a beautiful uke that must sound wonderful.

If it ain't gettin' played it needs to move on down the line (this from the guy who has several guitars that he hasn't touched in about three years) :biglaugh:

Sell it. Do it quickly, before you have time to think about it.
If you post it here, I expect it'll be gone with the wind.

I hear you on splittin up the family. I can't count the times I've about hit the send button on a sell and just couldn't do it. If he's not being played, he closes up. He needs to sing.. so yeah sell it.

A uke that you play regularly is worth a lot more than one that doesn't get played... sell it and buy the KoAloha! And someone will love that Kamaka, she's a beauty!

Another vote here to sell the Kamaka. If its not getting played-move it on.

Thanks everyone for your replies and advice. I appreciate them very much. I already have an eager buyer who is a coworker and that person is just waiting for me to make the decision on it. I guess I can take comfort in knowing it will be going to a good owner who will put good use to it. I guess I'll admit that I just don't want to regret the decision should I look back on it. I wonder if that feeling will be short lived once I get a new KoAloha Tenor. Has anyone ever felt that feeling of regret after selling one of their ukes?

LOL Pebble, I've been playing guitar for over 55 years. Owned more stringed instruments than I can count. I have regrets on many that got away. Kind of like old girlfriends, some you're glad to see go and others you regret ever leavin'. Nice thing about ukes is that as one leaves, another enters and sometimes two enter.

I sometimes sell with the cndition that if they ever decide to sell it, I get first refusal. It at least takes the uncertainty away a bit, even though it may never happen. Make your coworkers day knowing it's not going to a complete stranger.

I just shelled out for a Blackbear Concert, otherwise you would have already had my offer in your PM box.
I agree with most of the others on this one, if its not getting the attention it deserves, pass it on to the next player. I recently let a nice Koaloha go, same situation as yours, it stung for a moment, but I was glad to do it, the buyer was so happy, that felt good too. Good luck with the next one!

Sell it. I formerly had the Kamaka family: Soprano, Concert, Tenor, 6-string, 8-string. They weren't getting played. So everything was sold...well, except for the concert. That one is still sitting unplayed in my closet, and I actually don't plan to sell it. Guess im a hypocrite on this one. LOL.

I'd sell it on if it's not getting played and get an instrument that you'll want to play everyday. I have a habit of doing that, if i'm not playing it, it's time for it to move on and get something that'll rekindle the fun.

I'd sell it. I know it's a tough decision. I just did the same thing with a Taylor guitar......replaced one that wasn't being played with one that fits my playing style. I know in my heart I did what was right for me. Instruments are meant to be played. Enjoy your new tenor!

That's a hard one to call, because it really depends on where you are.

I gone through different stages in which I either find myself collecting more instruments than I need or will play regularly, and other times when I want to minimize my stuff. While I've let go a number of isntruments I've really loved because of hard times, I also want to pare down anyway at this time in my life. But who knows, maybe I'll feel that craving for a new instrument again and would have a hard time letting go of the 5 instruments I've decided to keep - two ukes, one flamenco guitar, two steel string guitars. That's still a lot of instruments. But I once had a dozen ukes and a dozen guitars... Yes, I had a problem...

Either way, get the uke you want to play if you can afford to, regardless of whether you sell or keep your less loved ones.

That's a hard one to call, because it really depends on where you are.

I gone through different stages in which I either find myself collecting more instruments than I need or will play regularly, and other times when I want to minimize my stuff. While I've let go a number of isntruments I've really loved because of hard times, I also want to pare down anyway at this time in my life. But who knows, maybe I'll feel that craving for a new instrument again and would have a hard time letting go of the 5 instruments I've decided to keep - two ukes, one flamenco guitar, two steel string guitars. That's still a lot of instruments. But I once had a dozen ukes and a dozen guitars... Yes, I had a problem...

Either way, get the uke you want to play if you can afford to, regardless of whether you sell or keep your less loved ones.

I sold my 2000 Larrivee L09 at Gelb Music consignment shop in Redwood City last year..it looked like new and it sat there for about 2 months..

I played it for about a year took lessons too but was never any good

I got what I paid for it new..maybe made $50.00 the person who bought it got a great deal..the price went up over $1,200.00 since I got it new

the buyer was very happy
good luck with your sales

Wow, thank you all for your feedback and sharing your experiences. I really dig this community with all the wisdom and trials and tribulations everyone has shared. I've played the concert last night and just realized again why I bought it in the first place. So I guess that's just the thing, rediscovering the love that drove me to buy it in the first place. I never claimed to be a practical person, if I were, I think I would just have my Kamaka Tenor and my Cole Clark guitar. But I don't lol. I have/had UAS and pretty much have 6 ukuleles, 1 guitarlele , and 3 guitars.

I wish I were really more practical as I don't think I would have this problem in the first place. lol. I do play my instruments and try to get better each day. Been playing for 7 years now and these are all the instruments I've acquired along my journey into music. So I don't buy them just to collect them, as each has progressed me into getting better, but in the case of this concert, I just find that I gravitate towards playing the tenor more, as I got the tenor 1 year after the concert. If I had all the hands necessary to play all instruments, I would. =) I guess this would be the first instrument that I actually would have to part with and that's what adds to the difficulty of deciding.

Anyway, I am also considering an alternate route and selling the other instruments that I really don't have an attachment too. It's just that the Kamaka concert is the easiest and first option now since I have a buyer lined up.

Thank you all for your continued support and feedback. I really do appreciate it, enjoy reading it, and take it to heart in my decision. I will update you when I actually do decide. =)

Top Bottom