New Slot head Tenor build brewing…

rudy

Reaction score
Aloha to all who regularly frequent the builder’s section, long time listener and first time caller here!

I’ve been making various instruments for somewhere in the neighborhood of 45 years and I’ve just recently joined UU because I’m going to make myself a slot head bolt-on neck tenor Uke.

I build lap steels, banjos, mandolin family instruments primarily and maintain a couple of websites dedicated to instrument construction, so I’m pretty familiar with general instrument design and construction techniques. The closest I’ve come to Uke so far was a recent build of a low tuned mandolin based on the same platform as a baritone Uke, so I’m coming so close that I decided it would be a good idea to do a tenor Uke for myself.

I have ordered the Hana Lima ‘Ia construction guide to figure out the direction I want to take. I really like slot heads, so that’s one of the specifics for my build. I’m going to do a tenor, but that’s about all the specifics I have on my list at present. If anyone has any specific ideas relating to a slot head tenor 3 fan brace design please chime in, I’m open to suggestions. I specialize in construction guides with full sized drawings and I might consider doing something like that if anyone thought there was enough interest in something like that. For now it’s just something that I’m interested in playing.

Thanks for lending an ear!

omsysti large

Hi Pete. You're too late! One of the first things I did when deciding to do this was to watch ALL of your videos. I was already familiar with your YouTube channel as I had previously watched the slot head videos when researching jigs for a slot head banjo design. Several of my most recent banjos have been slot heads.

A huge thanks to you for all the effort that you've put into doing your videos!

I really like Grover 18:1 cast base Sta-tites as a solution to finding a smooth operating quality tuner at a fair price for banjos, but the problem I see with Ukes is the need to have an overly-thick head stock design to accomodate the tuners. The only tuners that seem to be approprate for a slot head design would be Waverlys, but I'm also cheap. The Waverlys are 1/8" narrower, but also three times the price. Ouch!

The Gotoh micro-tuners might be an option, but they are also a bit pricy.

Any thoughts on tuners?

Being familiar with your work from another forum Rudy, I'm sure the tenor uke will turn out great and can't wait to see some pictures of it.

I've used the Hana Lima tenor plans a few times and I'm very happy with the results. I modified to a bolt on neck, tie-block bridge, and slot head but kept the bracing as they show.
I like Gotoh tuners because they are the narrowest and you can have a thinner head stock. Grovers are fine and less money, but you need almost 0.75" thick head stock which can look a bit chunky.

IMG_0813..jpg

However you design it, make sure the strings don't come in contact anywhere on the head stock. That's a deal killer for me.
BTW, with the necessary removal of all the wood required for a slotted head stock I don't mind the 2 cm thickness required to use the Sta-Tites.

Last edited:
However you design it, make sure the strings don't come in contact anywhere on the head stock. That's a deal killer for me.
BTW, with the necessary removal of all the wood required for a slotted head stock I don't mind the 2 cm thickness required to use the Sta-Tites.

Interesting perspective, I'll keep that in my bonnet as I work through the details in my mind. I'm pretty good with CAD so string paths are all worked out before saw touches wood.

Being familiar with your work from another forum Rudy, I'm sure the tenor uke will turn out great and can't wait to see some pictures of it.

Doug, I'm hoping that way...

I need to spend LESS time on forums and more in the shop, though!

Rudy..... Welcome!!

I know your banjo-related work from what you have published online and also from the BHO forum (I'm tobinsuke on there as well). I have learned an awful lot from you that has brought me up to building batches of banjo ukes - thanks for that.
I can't wait to see what you do in the ukulele world. I'm sure you will find the folks here to be quite helpful and generous with their knowledge and experience.
Good luck wih your ukulele project. Please keep us posted.

It looks lie Pete is using rollers:

WebBlingTenor.JPG

I make 'em myself by sleeving the steel barrels with Nylon. It makes for a great looking instrument!

I make 'em myself by sleeving the steel barrels with Nylon. It makes for a great looking instrument!

Thanks for that, Pete. I've done the same thing with plastic sleeves added over standard string posts. I find that synthetic strings like those used on Ukes work much better on the larger diameter shaft. Do you use 3/8" diameter material for your string post bushings?

I bought it as 8mm but it is 8.3mm. Needs an 8.5mm for clearance. The tuners are 2 on a plate ukulele. I specify ebony buttons, mandolin style so the whole piece is scaled properly and looks right. Guitar tuners are a real compromise.

Roger Skipper is currently building another slot-head tenor. He keeps a photo journal of all his builds on his website, which is referenced in the signature below. Might be worth a look.
Gerry

Top Bottom