Singing the praises of Makala

aperseghin

Reaction score
ok i did some research and decided to buy a Makala MK-1 at christmas time. it was cheap and looked nice and since Kala is a great manufacturer i figured they would know ow to put together a ukulele.

Since that time i have replaced the strings with Aquila Nylegut and i have learned MANY songs..

I have listened to some higher end ukulele that of course sound fuller but my little MK-1 sounds very crisp and clear and i absolutely love it.. If i had ended up with a uke that was difficult to keep in tune and had bad intonation i probably would have gioven up, but now im a ukulele player and its all thanks to the decision to buy the Makala MK-1 as my first (beginner) ukulele...

I'm not sure what the Makala MK-1 is. Is it a dolphin or something else? Love the dolphin and think it's a great starter ukulele, if that's the one you mean. For the money they sure give you a taste of the instrument and are affordable to spring as gifts on the unsuspecting - even for those on a budget.

My Makala pina has a great punch and sound to it! Although not as fancy, nor expensive, it set the standard for the rest to keep up to!:love:

I have four ukes - one of each size. Apart from the tenor (a Ohana) none of them were expensive or top of the range. My soprano is an Ozark and cost about £20 about 10 years ago. I seldom play it now, prefering concert size for easier playing and still getting that plinky-plunk sound of the uke. My concert and baritone ukes are both Makalas and I love them both. I like the sound, the feel... I think they're great. And I'm not bothered if theyre considered lower end or entry level ukes. They suit me, suit my pocket and... I like em thats all :music:

Amen! .

I have four ukes - one of each size. Apart from the tenor (a Ohana) none of them were expensive or top of the range. My soprano is an Ozark and cost about £20 about 10 years ago. I seldom play it now, prefering concert size for easier playing and still getting that plinky-plunk sound of the uke. My concert and baritone ukes are both Makalas and I love them both. I like the sound, the feel... I think they're great. And I'm not bothered if theyre considered lower end or entry level ukes. They suit me, suit my pocket and... I like em thats all :music:

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I just have to agree that Makala ukes are still great value, especially for a first instrument. :)
I started out on a Makala concert. Straight out of the box, no set up, it still plays great and I still like it.

I should have bought the Makala soprano I tried out a few weeks ago. I really liked it. It wasn't as nice as the Martin soprano I tried a few days ago, duh, but I think it sounded darn near as nice.

Okay I'm going to sort-of play Devil's Advocate here. I started out with a Makala soprano and I mostly agree with everything that has been said so far - basically a great sounding instrument for the money. But... what I really didn't like about it was those little plastic washers that just sit on the front of the headstock in place of actual tuner bushings. They immediately fell off when I first attempted a string change and I thought I had lost one (spent about an hour hunting around to find it) and also they just look kind of crappy, frankly :p

If I had my time again I would pay a few quid extra and go for an entry-level Kala.

Top Bottom