Addiction! (Not UAS!)

Mattyukaholic

Reaction score
Two questions!

Is anyone else so addicted to playing ukulele and having one around that they almost can't bear to be away from their ukuleles?

Is it wrong that I considered going to a music shop and buying a cheapy just so I have something to play right now?

They've become almost like comfort blankets to me to be honest. I've been going through huge changes in my life (new baby and work have moved my location.) I normally bring a Uke into work to play on breaks and today I didn't because I'm going out later and didn't want to carry it around. It feels horrible and I feel like I can't properly relax without a quick strum..almost like a proper sadness.

I'm probably a completely insane loser, but just wondered if anyone else has had similar experiences.

Matt

Last edited:
Maybe this is normal. I've been in counseling for years.

You are not an insane loser. I have days where I feel like that too and open UU or youtube videos in tabs in my browser so I can get a quick fix in between tasks at work.

Vacations are a killer. I spent a week last Oct at Cape Cod and was googling the local music shops looking for anything. Luckly for my marriage I couldn't even find a Hilo. Lobster helped settle the shakes, though.

Glad to hear I'm not alone. I'm getting married in august and already had the thought 'hmmmm..I wonder if I can sneak a soprano in my suitcase?' But that might make it a very short marriage.

My soon-to-be wife has given up completely. She ignores the uke that accompanies me almost everywhere, and is completely capable of carrying on a conversation right over the top of me playing. She says if she waited for me to stop to talk to me that she would never get to talk to me. ;)

When I travelled to Australia last year, I didn't want the hassle of keeping up with one of my good ukes on 25+ hours of flights, so I high-tailed it to a music shop on arrival and bought and cheapo starter uke. The staff was good enough to allow to poke through their boxes until I found one that intonated properly and held tune. That uke was my good friend the whole time I was there, and I gifted it to the young son of a friend upon departure.

Oh, thank goodness it's not just me. I have two in my office, and once when I spent a few nights in a local hotel because of work being done on my house, I took three to the hotel with me.

When I travelled to Australia last year, I didn't want the hassle of keeping up with one of my good ukes on 25+ hours of flights, so I high-tailed it to a music shop on arrival and bought and cheapo starter uke. The staff was good enough to allow to poke through their boxes until I found one that intonated properly and held tune. That uke was my good friend the whole time I was there, and I gifted it to the young son of a friend upon departure.

Good idea. I'm going there for the month of November and wasn't sure about bringing and returning through customs with a koa uke.

I'm with you. I keep two at my shop (you never know when someone might want to try the uke out, or have a mini-jam!). I carry my dolphin whenever I'm in really dangerous places for a uke, like street fairs or the beach. Four at home for serious playing.

Actually, music addiction is what got me into the ukulele in the first place. I've played piano all my life, and when I travel, I crave playing music to lessen the stress. One day I came upon a man playing Bach on his ukulele, and I was amazed to see how versatile and user-friendly it is. i immediately bought a Fluke and began to study with the man who first introduced it to me, Stuart Fuchs, aka Stukulele. Three years later, my addiction grows and grows, and I'm doing everything I can to lure non-ukers into this wonderful world.

You're not alone. I have ukes in the car and in my girlfriends house, so that I'm sure I'll have something to pluck/strum. I bring a uke to work everyday, I read my email and play uke at the same time. Because I'm so proficient with my work, I am able to play my uke while working (boss doesn't seem to mind as long as i deliver results;). When I am really busy, my uke is on my desk, just there being the good ol' security blanket. After a long and successful battle with substance abuse, i guess my addiction has transferred to my guitars, ukes and playing in general (which I consider a blessing).

Right now my Fluke is standing next to me as we speak...

Right...wrong...meh.

I do know when I was in NJ for a week a couple of years ago I went to Sam Ash in Manhattan and picked up a pocket uke to knock the edges off of the withdrawal symptoms...

John

I'm rarely without a uke. If I need to keep it small or discreet, I take my Risa concert. :D

one in the bathroom, one in the studio, two under the bed, one in the lounge, one in the car, one at mum and dad's...all bases covered :)

Strung all over my house too. The one hanging in the bathroom might carry more of a message than I intend.

Answer to question #1: Yes
Answer to question #2: Yes!!

one in the bathroom, one in the studio, two under the bed, one in the lounge, one in the car, one at mum and dad's...all bases covered :)

Is anyone else so addicted to playing ukulele and having one around that they almost can't bear to be away from their ukuleles?

Is it wrong that I considered going to a music shop and buying a cheapy just so I have something to play right now?
Matt

Wrong? Well I know we all like to joke about UAS and addiction to uke playing, but seriously, if anything is such an addiction that it interferes with your ability to do other things, it could be a problem.

When I travelled to Australia last year, I didn't want the hassle of keeping up with one of my good ukes on 25+ hours of flights, so I high-tailed it to a music shop on arrival and bought and cheapo starter uke.... and I gifted it to the young son of a friend upon departure.

That's a really nice way of doing it.

Good idea. I'm going there for the month of November and wasn't sure about bringing and returning through customs with a koa uke.

Hehehee, how about when you get here you buy a really nice koa uke and leave it with me when you leave? Though Eugeneukulele could make better use of it.

sofa.gif

Often I take my uke with me when I go out, even though I know I'll probably be too busy to play it and it can be a nuisance to carry around.
But I like having it there JUST IN CASE!! :p

I have to constantly resist the urge to bring my cheapo uke with me on longer car rides (cuz my sis will get annoyed).
But if im driving by myself my cheapo usually comes with me. Im usually thinking, "there might be some free time, then i can STRUM!" :)
But I like to keep a uke by my side whenever im in my house or backyard... i actually took my dog for a walk and played my uke on the walk!

I keep a cheapo in the car. I'm wondering if I'll be able to get away with taking it on holiday. I suspect
She Who Must Be Obeyed might just get a little upset. :(

I've got them all over the house, and I have a workulele, too. When the price on the awesome plastic Toy Story ukulele comes down, I'm going to buy one to keep in my car. You're OK.

Top Bottom