Opening Day is coming up!

wickedwahine11

Reaction score
So I will be traveling and unfortunately miss Opening Day this year. If by some chance my Red Sox beat the Yanks that day, it could be the only time they are in first place all year.

I know they sucked last year and probably will again, but I'm diehard. I'll probably stream the game archive from my MLB subscription when I get into my hotel if I can avoid finding out the score beforehand.

My childhood team was the Dodgers but I'm just not interested in them any more since the Frank McCourt years. They have a couple of players I like (Ethier, Kershaw) but more I don't (Crawford, Beckett, Kemp). So even though I know they will be better than the Sox, I'm just not as interested in them.

Besides even when the Sox suck, our announcers (Jerry and Don) keep me entertained.

So which team are you guys/gals rooting for in 2013?

Phillies fan here. I am going to a game tomorrow night. It is part of their On-Deck series - spring training game, giveaways, etc.

The Twins just had to have an open stadium when they rebuilt. The forecast is for 40 F at game time. Bet there will be some empty seats for that one!

Lifelong Giants fan here (through the bad and most recently good times) . . . born and raised in the City. Psyched for Opening Day.

The Twins just had to have an open stadium when they rebuilt. The forecast is for 40 F at game time. Bet there will be some empty seats for that one!

Hey, how is the Twins new stadium? I have been to 28 of the 30 ballparks and I'm due to see the Sox play the Twins there this May. (I had been to all 30 before you guys and the Marlins got new stadiums).

Not too bad. Since it's a baseball only stadium most all seats are good. A glass of 3.2 beer and a lousy brat will set you back $13 though.

Have you made it to the Mariners' Stadium? That is the one I wished they would have put here.

Not too bad. Since it's a baseball only stadium most all seats are good. A glass of 3.2 beer and a lousy brat will set you back $13 though.

Have you made it to the Mariners' Stadium? That is the one I wished they would have put here.

Cool, thanks for the info.

I have been to Safeco. That is a great ballpark, definitely one of my favorites. You know what else is nice is the one in Pittsburgh. PNC Park is fantastic, it's probably my favorite of all the new stadiums (and third overall after only Fenway and Wrigley).

Hey WickedWahine, you have great taste in ukuleles, but your baseball choice leaves a little to be desired. :) :)
Sorry I am a diehard Yankee fan.
I have two seats from the Stadium in my office and 40-50 bobbleheads.
Have a safe trip !!!

Too cold for April games. What were they thinking?

the giants. same team every year. from atlee to one flap down to robby thompson to both both barrys. seen it and suffered and celebrated it all with the extra inning candlestick pins to prove it. i've worn my colors proudly and we've been going to season openers for the last 6 years (mostly away games at dodger stadium, minute maid park and chase), but my hui is skipping this year (dodger stadium again for the 3rd time after a particularly terrible second time in 2011) and heading out to colorado in june instead. i love baseball, love the feel of opening day, the smell of an old leather glove, the fear of a hooking foul ball into the stands towards you even with a glove on. i love scoring a game and the confusion of whether it's an error or an infield hit. i love talking to baseball people, whether they cheer for the giants or not. and nothing, absolutely nothing (on the continent lol), tastes better than beer and a dog at a ball park.

i love...the smell of an old leather glove

I know exactly what you mean. I have not played softball in years, but my old, perfectly broken in glove still sits on a shelf in my office. I still love the way that it smells and feels. I know fans of other sports think we are crazy, nobody ever gets sentimental about a tennis racket or hockey sticks. But I have to tell you, if I could only grab one item out of my house in a fire, I would probably take that glove first. Crazy, I know.

i love talking to baseball people, whether they cheer for the giants or not. and nothing, absolutely nothing (on the continent lol), tastes better than beer and a dog at a ball park.

Amen! Go Giants! It has been a long, lonely, cold winter....

glove.jpg
My glove- was my dad's first, then he gave it me in the eighties when my hand got big enough. I have had it for thirty years- Carl Yastrzemski Spalding ...nothing in the world smells better.
We are Orange and Black around here. And happy as can be that Spring is here!

Last edited:
opening day jitters.

I know exactly what you mean. I have not played softball in years, but my old, perfectly broken in glove still sits on a shelf in my office. I still love the way that it smells and feels. I know fans of other sports think we are crazy, nobody ever gets sentimental about a tennis racket or hockey sticks. But I have to tell you, if I could only grab one item out of my house in a fire, I would probably take that glove first. Crazy, I know.

it might be sacrilegious on this site, but when i recently moved I made sure I knew where my glove was, while my `ukulele were blindly put in storage or given away. lol I missed my softball league last year because I tore my ACL, I wasn't going to miss this season.

Amen! Go Giants! It has been a long, lonely, cold winter....

anywhere near salem-keizer? piggy backing our quest to mimick WW11's feat, we also aim to go to the Giants' minor league affiliates. I regularly go to SJ Giants and Fresno Grizzlies games here in CA.

View attachment 51337
My glove- was my dad's first, then he gave it me in the eighties when my hand got big enough. I have had it for thirty years- Carl Yastrzemski Spalding ...nothing in the world smells better.
We are Orange and Black around here. And happy as can be that Spring is here!

Good to see more than a few giants fans here. interestingly enough, my first glove was also a carl yastrzemski glove my parents got me used at goodwill before i started to play little league. i was a kolohe kid always cutting school (and church) to go beach, so they figured i wouldnt last long. surprised them and played up until high school. glove's probably long gone by now hopefully tucked away in my parents' storage.

Yes, finally.

Top Bottom