Soprano vs concert for beginner

Spud1$

Reaction score
I bought a lanikai soprano for my 4 year old grandbaby. Before I gave it to her I started trying to learn it and I've had so much fun I want one of my own. I have very large hands so I thought maybe I should try the concert size. Any thoughts?? Thanks

Concert is a good all around size as far as the scale length goes, but remember that it will also have a little different sound than a soprano. If you were having fun playing the soprano there is no real reason to go larger. If you felt like your hands were squished up on some chords then the concert might be a good option.

When I started out on uke I was used to guitar and just felt like soprano was way to cramped. I ended up really liking "longneck" sopranos (soprano size body with a concert scale neck). After a year or so of playing I found that I really can play a soprano without much trouble and now a couple of my favorite ukes are soprano.

The real answer, as you will see I'm working towards, is that you need one of everything... LOL

John

I agree with OldePhart. If you weren't having trouble with the soprano, then go with that. The concert is more comfortable for me, but it lacks that classic ukulele sound I wanted so I also bought a soprano. I usually practice chords on my concert and then go to the soprano when I feel more comfortable with getting my fingers to do what I want them to do.

What about tenor?

In the mean time I spoke with someone who said go with a tenor!! I am so confused maybe one of each does make sense but I only won 5 bucks on the lotto ticket I bought so that's out for now! Lol thanks for all your input

if you never played guitar go soprano first time out. I have very large hands (but not fat) and prefer soprano. Concert is okay too but I feel like the fret spacing is getting a bit much. I have a bari lanikai special I just got and I'm not feeling it. And yeah, I can stretch my hands easily to cover a full 12 frets on a soprano and I have a large fingerpad area.

Last edited:
My hands are not particularly large but I prefer tenor. I can play a soprano but I feel like I can do a lot more finger picking on the tenor.

Do whatever I do!

"Very large hands" then I would recommend concert or tenor. I personally find tenor too large sometime for certain chords, but you will only develop a preference after you start playing. The important thing is get anything to enjoy it and you can always buy/sell as you move along. Plus, you might find a great deal buying used. Happy playing.

My personal choice is Soprano. I have a wonderful Concert with a low G tuning, as well.

I bit the bullet

I decided on a tenor. I figured since I started on the soprano and my grandbaby has that one I will always have access to it, this way we will have two different ones to mess around with. I appreciate all the comments! Thanks

Large hands

P.S. as to " large hands" just to give you an idea at 12 I could palm a basketball. I am 5' 4, 125 lbs and my fingers spread a little over 10 inches.

I started on a soprano and bought a concert about 3 weeks later. I haven't played the soprano since. However the soprano wasn't properly set up, and the concert is a much nicer Uke too. I will probably play the soprano here and there once I tackle the set-up, but I do like the size and sound of the concert more.

It does not really matter what you start out with.UAS will take over and you will have lots of fun learning and playing eventually all sizes .Follow your instinct and start playing.

Interesting range of comments.

I have very small hands, and I have always migrated to smaller instruments. [shorter scale guitars and basses]
I started a few weeks on a baritone, and I feel like any shorter would be too uncomfortable for me. :D

I agree with OldePhart. If you weren't having trouble with the soprano, then go with that. The concert is more comfortable for me, but it lacks that classic ukulele sound I wanted so I also bought a soprano. I usually practice chords on my concert and then go to the soprano when I feel more comfortable with getting my fingers to do what I want them to do.
What she said - exactly! My experience also.....

Top Bottom