PDA

View Full Version : So... How many fingers does it take to build a ukulele?

new wave ukulele
03-28-2013, 01:54 PM
not a shop accident, but the product of a collision in the soccer arena... then I tried to do the simplest of projects, I found that I could not make it work with 9 good fingers and one broken...

mds725
03-28-2013, 02:36 PM
Ouch! I broke the tip of the middle finger on my right (strumming/dominant) hand (a break not unlike yours) in a cycling accident in August 2011, and I was amazed at how little I could do while it was healing. However, I did learn to strum with my thumb so that I could play while my finger was healing, and I found my ring finger taking over many of the functions of my middle finger (like holding a pen and fingerpicking) after the first few weeks, as if my brain just started rerouting the single from the broken finger to the one next to it. I hope your broken finger isn't too painful and that it heals quickly and completely (mine still bends funny at the joint closest to the tip). And, if it's available, take advantage of physical therapy to restore the range of motion in your finger after it heals. If it makes you feel any better, I suspected my finger was broken right away, but I got back on my bicycle and rode to the baseball game I had tickets to and to which I'd been headed at the time of the accident, and I didn't go to the doctor until two days later. Just plain dumb.

teruterubouzu
03-28-2013, 02:43 PM
Ouch. That doesn't look like fun at all. I think you need to give yourself a break until the swelling goes down and then carefully evaluate what you do. No good rushing things only to create a permanent problem.

Liam Ryan
03-28-2013, 03:24 PM
I did the finishing on a uke while my right (dominant) hand had three broken fingers with one of those having eight stitches in it. I learned about how to clamp an instrument down tight.

new wave ukulele
03-28-2013, 05:49 PM
I did the finishing on a uke while my right (dominant) hand had three broken fingers with one of those having eight stitches in it. I learned about how to clamp an instrument down tight.

7 fingers... do I hear 6???

bbycrts
03-28-2013, 07:54 PM
Ouch. That doesn't look like fun at all. I think you need to give yourself a break until the swelling goes down and then carefully evaluate what you do. No good rushing things only to create a permanent problem.

I see what you did there, Amy...even if you didn't mean to.

Eric - OUCH! I hope you heal quickly and your pain subsides... Happy healing!

Rick Turner
03-28-2013, 09:06 PM
Well, my ace luthier, John Robinson just came in today for the first time in 3 1/2 months of being out with broken forearms (the X rays are amazing) now reinforced with stainless steel, etc., etc. The guy was really f'd up in his accident. Anyway, I welcome him back to whatever he feels comfortable doing here.

mds725
03-28-2013, 09:12 PM
Well, my ace luthier, John Robinson just came in today for the first time in 3 1/2 months of being out with broken forearms (the X rays are amazing) now reinforced with stainless steel, etc., etc. The guy was really f'd up in his accident. Anyway, I welcome him back to whatever he feels comfortable doing here.

That's great news, Rick. I'm glad to hear John is up and about again. I hope his forearms are feeling great!

hawaii 50
03-28-2013, 09:14 PM

Nice to hear John back,,if he wants he can build my uke to get back in shape..I met him and really like him I know he will do the best he can, so if he wants go at it... I trust him 100%..welcome back brother!

ChaosToo
03-29-2013, 03:40 AM
Ouch! (Said in best ET voice!) :D

Chih-Wei Liu
03-29-2013, 03:45 AM
A opposable thumb is hardest to be taken over its function, and I learned it the hard way. Wishing you a speedy recovery.