Ukulele Rash? (lol)

Kyle23

Reaction score
I know for a fact this has never been asked, because I've googled it... haha but one my right forearm where I support my uke, I keep getting this redness that really itches. I got it a month ago, and it went away, but now it's back and it's really annoying. It's like a red blotch with a bunch of little bumpies. That's the best I can describe it lol. Has anyone else had anything like this and have any suggestions of why this might be happening? ITCHYYYYYYY

Oh no! You're allergic to your ukulele!

Say it isn't so!

Or perhaps it's the music you're playing... or the strings :)

maybe it's the long-sleeve shirt/sweats you wear while you play your uke?

Benedryl might help or Calamine lotion. I hope it doesn't last... really.

just having some fun at your expense... sorry :)

I've not experienced that myself, at least not specifically caused by my uke.

Hope it clears up... permanently for you :)

keep uke'in',

Is it caused from uke against skin or does it happen when wearing sleeves?

I hear that there is something in Cocobolo that could irritate your skin, but I think you love playing so much that the reason..if keeps on happening check out the doctor..
other then that when you are not practicing(which you seem to do a lot Haha) put some medication on it..take it off before you practice again

never happened so far to me..but I have Ukulele elbow..that hurts!

I hear that there is something in Cocobolo that could irritate your skin, but I think you love playing so much that the reason..if keeps on happening check out the doctor..
other then that when you are not practicing(which you seem to do a lot Haha) put some medication on it..take it off before you practice again

never happened so far to me..but I have Ukulele elbow..that hurts!
It's directly where my uke meets my arm too. So if it does go away, it would just come back like it did lol

I haven't really developed a rash, but my skin gets red and indented, sometimes bordering on being bruised where my forearm meets the uke body. I have thought about using something like a tennis sweat band to give me some cushioning, but I haven't tried it yet. Are you putting anything like furniture polish or oil on your uke? I think most varnishes that are one ukes should not react with your skin - but who knows - people react to all kinds of things. :confused:

Actually, rosewood and rosewood dust can be a severe irritant, both to the skin and lungs. I've never heard of a problem from a finished piece, but I suppose if one were particularly sensitive to it, you might pick up a rash from a bridge or fretboard, which typically aren't laquered.

There are many woods that cause these effects, but the rosewood family (to which cocobolo belongs), is known to be particularly potent.

Here's a link to Woodworkers Source that discusses this topic. There is a link on the page at the bottom to a table showing the degree to which several woods can be irritants. Check and see if your tonewoods are listed.

http://www.woodworkerssource.com/wood_toxicity.php#

Last edited:
Kyle,
I assume you are playing standing up, using your forearm to press the body of the uke against your ribs?

If so, try either using a strap* of some fashion to support your uke, or play sitting down, with the uke propped up against your thigh. I prefer the latter, because I find that pressing the back of the uke against my body deadens the sound.

*(you don't need to buy a strap, you can fashion one out of an extra long shoelace, kind of like Danielle uses here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsO9BS4ojCc )

Hope this helps, I suffer from eczema so I know your pain. Thankfully it's never interfered with my uke playing (fingers crossed!!).

I have a couple of those uke sleeves because I live in the Southern US and love to play outside. They work pretty well although if you sweat in them you'll have to wash them every so often, otherwise you'll get a rash from old sweat <g>. Should protect your arm if they protect the uke. cheers, g2

Its not the wood because there is finish between the skin and the wood. You may be sweating and the skin gets irritated. Try doing what a lot of classical guitar players do when practicing. Take an old white cotton tube sock and cut the toe portion off. Slip the sock over the arm where it rests on the uke. That should take care of the problem.

You're not going to believe this...try antiperspirant on it before you play...

My guess would be you are sensitive to the wood or the material used to finish it. Some types of wood are actually mildly toxic to some people - and in fact luthiers have to be careful about breathing dust from some varieties. You might try waxing the uke with a couple of coats of paste wax and see if that lessens the problem.

And, of course, wear long sleeves. something soft like flannel shirts won't hurt the finish much, if at all - and perhaps we'll start a revolution to restart the flannel industry. LOL

John

My guess would be you are sensitive to the wood or the material used to finish it. Some types of wood are actually mildly toxic to some people - and in fact luthiers have to be careful about breathing dust from some varieties. You might try waxing the uke with a couple of coats of paste wax and see if that lessens the problem.

And, of course, wear long sleeves. something soft like flannel shirts won't hurt the finish much, if at all - and perhaps we'll start a revolution to restart the flannel industry. LOL

John
I bet that's it. I just hate wearing long sleeves. Such a dilemma haha. I realized it went away when I started playing my soprano gloss uke a lot, it's probably the finish on my concert that does it.

I don't think I could ever bring myself to wear a shooting sleeve playing my uke lol I don't even wear them for basketball. I guess I'll just have to wear a different shirt.

Top Bottom