Exactly, how heavy is too heavy?

808boy

Reaction score
Aloha,
Read a lot of comments about brand X or Y ukes being too heavy. Do you think it really makes that much of a difference? Are you guys talking about the static weight?
Just for my own information, I've decided to static weigh all my ukes using a digital scale that is used for mail. The graduations go from .1 oz. to 5 lbs. I have'nt weighed it all yet but this is what I got so far with the 9 Tenors I weighed. 1 lb.-15.2 oz was the heaviest, 1 lb.-1.3 oz. the lightest. The average weight is 1 lb.-3 oz.
As far as sound, my heaviest has the best warmth and sustain, the lightest has a more tradition sound. Both are solid woods but of different species with quality strings.
This is just an observation and thought I'd share it.
Now gotta go weigh the rest of my ukes......................Bo...............

Yeah, I think it's used incorrectly...I think people equate heavier ukes to being overbuilt, which is usually the case but not always true. You don't want a uke so light that it's fragile.

Hey Bo! Weight doesn't worry me so much as whether the uke is (i) unbalanced, that is, 'top heavy' or (ii) overbuilt, producing a muted, strangled tone. From my experience I would say heavier ukes sometimes possess one or both of these characteristics.

The idea that one brand weighs this much and another brand weighs that much, isn't correct. Each ukulele will weigh a different amount depending upon the individual pieces of wood used, ie. not every piece of mahogany weighs the same. We sell necks and some necks are noticably heavier than other necks despite them all being the same size and same kind of wood.

Hey Bo! Weight doesn't worry me so much as whether the uke is (i) unbalanced, that is, 'top heavy' or (ii) overbuilt, producing a muted, strangled tone. From my experience I would say heavier ukes sometimes possess one or both of these characteristics.

Aloha Bruddah,
Weighed my better sounding uke the way I use to weigh big trucks, axle by axle to check the difference.
Here is my results, 13.5 at the head, 13.4 at the body. The balance point of this 6 string Tenor is just slightly forward of the neck's heel. This heavy weight at 1 lb. 15.2 oz really sings, diffenitely a keeper....................Bo...............

The idea that one brand weighs this much and another brand weighs that much, isn't correct. Each ukulele will weigh a different amount depending upon the individual pieces of wood used, ie. not every piece of mahogany weighs the same. We sell necks and some necks are noticably heavier than other necks despite them all being the same size and same kind of wood.

Mahalo for that Mike, hence different voices from ukes of the same make and model..................Bo...............

Aloha,
Read a lot of comments about brand X or Y ukes being too heavy. Do you think it really makes that much of a difference? Are you guys talking about the static weight?
Just for my own information, I've decided to static weigh all my ukes using a digital scale that is used for mail. The graduations go from .1 oz. to 5 lbs. I have'nt weighed it all yet but this is what I got so far with the 9 Tenors I weighed. 1 lb.-15.2 oz was the heaviest, 1 lb.-1.3 oz. the lightest. The average weight is 1 lb.-3 oz.
As far as sound, my heaviest has the best warmth and sustain, the lightest has a more tradition sound. Both are solid woods but of different species with quality strings.
This is just an observation and thought I'd share it.
Now gotta go weigh the rest of my ukes......................Bo...............

Ho, Bruddah Bo!!!

Long time no talk! I see you stay back hea on da Mainland again. You one lucky buggah cause you get fo go back and forth to da Islands and da Mainland!

Jus wanted fo say dat my experience wit most lighter build ukes is dat dey get one distinctive "HOLLOW" sound to dem dat I no like. I not going name da brand names of dese ukes cause I no like cause one majuh commotion ovah hea on da Forum.

But das my opinion and perspective ... and I know oddahs who agree wit me, too. It seems most of da lighter build ukes wit da "HOLLOW" sound lose da rich and full tone dat I like. Jus my :2cents:

I know everybody get their own preferences in sound and tone ... so, to each his/her own. :) Da main ting is what mattahs to each individual. There's no right or wrong in individual preference.

Last edited:
Ho, Bruddah Bo!!!

Long time no talk! I see you stay back hea on da Mainland again. You one lucky buggah cause you get fo go back and forth to da Islands and da Mainland!

Jus wanted fo say dat my experience wit most lighter build ukes is dat dey get one distinctive "HOLLOW" sound to dem dat I no like. I not going name da brand names of dese ukes cause I no like cause one majuh commotion ovah hea on da Forum.

But das my opinion and perspective ... and I know oddahs who agree wit me, too. It seems most of da lighter build ukes wit da "HOLLOW" sound lose da rich and full tone dat I like. Jus my :2cents:

I know everybody get their own preferences in sound and tone ... so, to each his/her own. :) Da main ting is what mattahs to each individual. There's no right or wrong in individual preference.

Howz'it Bruddah Kimo,
Yeah, I stay back but ainolike li'dat. My Kumu stay ova dea.
Now pertaining to the subject matter, yeah different strokes for different folks. Just an observation I made.
My 6 string is one of my best sounding and playing uke, Good thing Bruddah Stan tried it out and told me about it, already had my eye on it and was trying to figure out how to get it as he didn't want to ship it. My Fiance was scheduled to be in Honolulu and got it for me. Actually, the guy delivered it from Mililani to Ewa Beach, nice guy.
Another subjective and explosive thread would be cost to sound value. Au'we, can you imagine? Played some of Bruddah Stan's cost plenny money ukes and some sound like his OU-2. BUT, da buggah pretty...................Bo............

Ho, Bruddah Bo!!!

Bruddah Kimo

I tend to agree w/ you and we got similar tastes. Surprising, MBU is not as light as other brands I've tried and I would love you to try it one of these days and compare it to my LFDM, which is much heavier. I like both tones.

Played some cost plenny money ukes and some sound like his OU-2. BUT, da buggah pretty..................

Ho, Bruddah Bo!

You stay absolutely right, Brah! Get some ukes dat cost plenny kala dat no sound too hot .... but dey shua look pretty.

Ho, Bruddah Bo!

You stay absolutely right, Brah! Get some ukes dat cost plenny kala dat no sound too hot .... but dey shua look pretty.

Amen Bruddah.........maybe, just maybe my ears no hear so good on this 67 year old body, hahahaha.

Howz'it Bruddah Kimo,
Yeah, I stay back but ainolike li'dat. My Kumu stay ova dea.
Now pertaining to the subject matter, yeah different strokes for different folks. Just an observation I made.
My 6 string is one of my best sounding and playing uke, Good thing Bruddah Stan tried it out and told me about it, already had my eye on it and was trying to figure out how to get it as he didn't want to ship it. My Fiance was scheduled to be in Honolulu and got it for me. Actually, the guy delivered it from Mililani to Ewa Beach, nice guy.
Another subjective and explosive thread would be cost to sound value. Au'we, can you imagine? Played some of Bruddah Stan's cost plenny money ukes and some sound like his OU-2. BUT, da buggah pretty...................Bo............

Bruddah Kimo, I know where you coming from! No like name the brands, but we discussed the "hollow" sound in depth befo. My Koa Vento is my go-to uke, and you know what kine ukes I had in my arsenal before haha. Little bit heavier than most ukes, but man the richness and fullness of da sound is unreal. But like Bruddah Bo said, different strokes for different folks!

Bruddah Kimo, I know where you coming from! No like name the brands, but we discussed the "hollow" sound in depth befo. My Koa Vento is my go-to uke, and you know what kine ukes I had in my arsenal before haha. Little bit heavier than most ukes, but man the richness and fullness of da sound is unreal. But like Bruddah Bo said, different strokes for different folks!

Ho, Bruddah Dan!

Good fo see you ovah hea on da Forums!!!

Yup ... we had long kine discussions about da "HOLLOW" kine sound ... and how light and a little heavier built ukes get one difference in sound and tone. I know wit all da high end high $$$$ custom ukes you had or currently get in your personal collection, you get plenny experience first hand wit da topic hea on da physical weight issue.

Both of your Vento ukes look and sound UNREAL!!!:worship:

Okay Bruddahs, I tried to be a trend follower before....he he and got burned listening to the inexperienced...he he I wen learn quick.LOL
but I not going to sell them to my friends.....why you likey buy.. anyways, I just dont use weight as the main factor, it depends on the
thickness of the soundboard and the luthier too and some are name brand makers...He He.. anyways for the hollow sounding ukuleles , I prefer
them dropped tuned which improves them giving the a fuller richer sound..:) I keep these ukes of an example when friends come over and see too for a
fact and lesson...:)

Last edited:
Okay Bruddahs, I tried to be a trend follower before....he he and got burned listening to the inexperienced...he he I wen learn quick.LOL
but I not going to sell them to my friends.....why you likey buy.. anyways, I just dont use weight as the main factor, it depends on the
thickness of the soundboard and the luthier too and some are name brand makers...He He.. anyways for the hollow sounding ukuleles , I prefer
them dropped tuned which improves them giving the a fuller richer sound..:)

Eh, Bruddah,
Mahalo for letting me play your $$$$$ukes to check'um on my own and draw my own conclusions. I gotta be Kala savey and you helped me out alot there. I don't jump on anyone's bandwagon, except yours sometimes, and I'm not a headstock shopper except for the Maui Music pre-fires.
Hope to see you soon to cash in my raincheck........................Bo.............

Don't believe them...
... light & fragile is almost always better.

Not always. I have a uke which is one of my lightest in my Ohana but the soundboard is dishing. Thin top boards though sounds wonderful aren't always the best. It's built by a guy with a good reputation and has been building a number of years and his ukes gets great reveiws. Oh, the uke in question is about 20 years old. Aloha,.............Bo.......
There is always a compromise I guess..................

Nothing wrong with a heavy uke if it's built well out of heavy materials. It's the ones that are built heavily (over-braced, overly thick tops, and heavy finishes) that you'd probably want to avoid.

Top Bottom