PDA

View Full Version : FS: Risa Solid Stick Concert Uke

bildio
03-29-2013, 09:11 AM
---- SOLD ----

I purchased this uke new from Ukulele World on January 23, 2013. It is listed on the following Ukulele World web page with a complete description.

http://www.ukuleleworld.com/RISA-Uke-SOLID-Concert-Uke-w-Gig-Bag-and-Strap-NEW-MODEL-WITH-PLANETARY-GEARED-TUNERS.html

This is the new model with geared tuning pegs, & the original Worth strings. It is made of rock-hard natural maple, & has a satin finish. A canvas gig bag & shoulder strap is included.

I tried it a few times for a total playing time of less than one hour, so it is in like new condition. I recently added a K&K Twin Spot Pickup to my Pono concert uke, so it will serve my occasional need for an electric uke.

The Ukulele World price is $297.00 USD plus shipping.

Send me a PM if you would like to purchase this uke or if you have any questions.

Shazzbot
03-29-2013, 01:15 PM
I looks totally tempting as a travel uke or a super quiet practice instrument.
Does the Risa actually sound like a uke or more like a reentrant-tuned guitar?

Shazzbot
03-30-2013, 05:41 AM
Did I mess the memo?
Why is everyone ignoring this thread?

Telperion
03-30-2013, 09:56 AM
I looks totally tempting as a travel uke or a super quiet practice instrument.
Does the Risa actually sound like a uke or more like a reentrant-tuned guitar?

Shazz, I own one specifically for travel purposes. Mine is the concert, same as the one here from Bill. It's quiet unplugged but actually isn't too bad to play this way. Clip on tuner works just fine, and it's still clear enough to hear yourself. I also have small children that, when sleeping, I want them to stay sleeping, so the Risa is good late night. I do own one of the Danelectro Honeytone amps ($20 from Amazon) and the sound is surprisingly good for that price. It's not loud or particularly versatile, but it works for me. For travel, I carry a Vox Amplug in the bag with the Risa. I have tried both the "Twin" and "Acoustic," and I ended up returning the latter. Neither one of them produce the tone I'd like, but of the two, I preferred the Twin (if I had it to do over, I'd probably give the AC30 a shot). Anyway, the Amplug at least allows me to hear myself at higher volume through some earbuds in a hotel room. I'm interested to see what tone I can achieve with the right connections and app through my iPad, but haven't had a chance to explore that option. I have a friend who claims this is the way to go.

As far as sounding like a uke... I haven't figured out how to get that out of it. It really is more like a small re-entrant electric guitar. That said, it really all depends on your intent. If your main interest is a travel friendly uke that you can use for practice when on the road, I think it's great. It takes up very little room in a suitcase and has small risk of being damaged, unlike a traditional acoustic. This was a key selling point for me.

Also, I found that I didn't care much for the Worth Browns that came on mine, so I switched to Worth Clear hard tension strings. It's not that it sounds better, but to me it feels much better. I also switched the tuner buttons to the ivoroid buttons from StewMac. Overall, I have no real complaints. It's well built, the pickup seems nice, and no problems with intonation. Of course, the lack of headstock and strange overall shape is not for everyone, but I got used to it and was willing to accept those as 'features' that allow me to throw it in my carry-on suitcase.

Hope this helps!

-Steve

Shazzbot
03-30-2013, 12:58 PM
Thank you sjs.
That's exactly what I wanted to know.
You make it very tempting..............................

-Emma-
03-30-2013, 01:22 PM
Shazzbot,
I'd recommend checking out some videos on youtube of people playing their RISA, that is what really made me want to buy one, along with reading reviews :) .

I have a concert scale, but here are some youtube videos that made me want to buy a RISA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSToH6QBhSM&list=LLoaDtJZV0CXghEFMeq_Ri4g

http://youtu.be/qZaXRjDxdk0?t=21s

I think they are a great buy and I've really enjoyed playing mine so far.

bildio
03-30-2013, 02:47 PM
Uke is SOLD