Night time Ukulele

Kevs-the-name

Reaction score
Hi Guys, my first post:
I have spent a while looking and reading through some very interesting posts, and am grateful for all the advice I have come across so far!

I am looking for advice regarding a 'night time' ukulele
My wife accepts that I am learning (and enjoying) the ukulele but i feel I need a 'silent' uke for evening 'living room' practice.
However, I also want something of good quality that can be used through an amp etc.

Please can someone advice on a suitable Ukulele that fits the bill?

at the moment i am trying to quietly play a Fluke Flea and a Lanakai LU-21C.
thanks

I recently bought a RISA Uke-solid concert and I'm really happy with it. If you use headphones with your amp you shouldn't annoy your wife or neighbours too much because it is fairly quiet.

I bought mine from here and was very happy with the service:
https://www.ukulele.de/shop4/en/sea...c=on&sdesc=on&keywords=RISA+uke-solid&x=0&y=0

Soprano:
350_0.jpg

Concert:
11_0.jpg

Tenor:
169_0.jpg

:agree: Also a new Risa Concert owner. The strings are quiet but not silent, so you don't even need to plug in for quiet practice. I got mine from Ukulele World in Texas, but since you're in the UK, getting straight from the source is probably better.

I've got a Peanut for quiet practice,no need for an amp(though you can if you want to),just plug the headphones straight in.Not as fancy as a Risa,but about 1/2 the price.With any non acoustic uke you'll always get a bit of sound from the string,but not enough to be heard in the next room.

1) cover the soundhole..helps a bit
2) put a sock under the strings by the bridge, you loose the sustain and open string ring but it works...

or

3) buy your wife some earplugs :) just kidding...

Ukes aren't that loud anyway. Strum softly, pick with the thumb, gently.

I've got a Peanut for quiet practice,no need for an amp(though you can if you want to),just plug the headphones straight in.Not as fancy as a Risa,but about 1/2 the price.With any non acoustic uke you'll always get a bit of sound from the string,but not enough to be heard in the next room.

I second the Peanut or one of the other Eleuke models, the Risas are nice but a bit pricey for my blood. I've had one of the older Eleuke concerts for a while, and bought a Peanut from Mim a year or so ago and they're both great for quiet practice. The MP3 jack on the Peanut is nice to play along when practicing too.

An electric uke would be sweet, learning to finger pick is free. If you want to learn to finger pick and you are sshort of $ you might go that way. I had a "Mitchell" uke with a laminated top and super low action that was my "night time" and "early morning" uke because it was so quiet. I finally sold it.

What about one of the ovation/applause ukes? They're not necessarily "silent", but they're definitely not real loud.

Making an option

Thanks for your input so far,
to be honest I remain confused!!!

I have seen a 'new' Peanut for £58
http://ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=130881558041&index=1&nav=SEARCH&nid=09577625372

A good looking Clearwater tenor solid body £95
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B008JEEU3C/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1364978422&sr=8-4&pi=SL75

Laka tenor VUV100 £89
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B008FPM8BG/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1364978524&sr=8-16&pi=SL75

Ireally like the look of the Eleukes but cant find any for sale in the UK

Not sure if I can justify the Tenor Risa at £200 although I do like it a lot, perhaps I should just bite the bullet?

AHHHHH

Last edited:
Went with my head and my heart.

Purchased the Tenor Risa Stick :eek:

I looked at what I wanted and why I wanted it...
I want a 'silent', travel, electric and fun ukulele. but I also wanted a quality instrument. found a used Eleuke but knew I really wanted a Risa.
Getting it tomorrow, V excited! just got to decide on a suitable amp now, (new thread to be started!!!)

Thanks guys for you input, speak soon....

I was thinking about this thread a couple of days ago.
I had fallen asleep early, without practicing. I then woke up at about 1 in the morning and decided to practice for a few minutes.
My wife was asleep next to me. I just strummed quieter, with my thumb instead of index finger, and she didn't hear a thing. :)

I like the look of those Risa sticks, especially the maple one. I wish they made one in a baritone scale.

I have a Captains backpacker and a Risa too....Captains is a little louder and nicer sounder Accoustically but with the pick up, the risa blow it away...:)

Congratulations! :D Where did you end up ordering it from?

For the amp I use a Line 6 Spider III (15 watts/8 inch), I pinched the amp from my brother though because he never uses it.

Hope you enjoy playing your Risa:) ...I really look forward to practicing with mine. I practiced with my Risa concert all week before my uke class last night, then I felt really rusty when I picked up my regular tenor uke because i hadn't played it since my previous lesson.

Went with my head and my heart.

Purchased the Tenor Risa Stick :eek:

I looked at what I wanted and why I wanted it...
I want a 'silent', travel, electric and fun ukulele. but I also wanted a quality instrument. found a used Eleuke but knew I really wanted a Risa.
Getting it tomorrow, V excited! just got to decide on a suitable amp now, (new thread to be started!!!)

Thanks guys for you input, speak soon....

Congratulations! :D Where did you end up ordering it from?

Emma, I ordered it from 'Southern Ukulele Store'

I have to say it was PERFECT service.
I placed the order over the phone at 14:30 and it arrived at my door by midday the next day. I paid for standard delivery; what more can you ask?

I am struggling a little to get used to tenor sizing, but lots of practice on this has made playing the FLEA and Concert a little 'easier' I didn't realise the sizing would make that much difference!

Last edited:
Top Bottom