Fret board extension chamfer

Timbuck

Reaction score
PICT0018_zps4545f46e.jpg

The Guys and Gal's at Martin used to do this job by hand and eye on style O sopranos..which proberbly explains why there are so many odd shaped fretboard ends out there:)..I found it difficult to get a consistant shape on my repro's by hand ...So! I made the set up to help me.
PICT0004_zps4810967f.jpg

The fret board clamps in like this.
PICT0028_zps65ea4c68.jpg

Last edited:
Cheat!!!!!!!!!!

I know a lot of other people would cheat like this, but Timbuck too ?

Sorry, been waiting months to say that :)

that would be easy work, if lots slower, with a rasp, and maybe a carving knife of one sort or another if you were proficient with it. A spindle sander does a nice job, but repeatable results requires practice.

that would be easy work, if lots slower, with a rasp, and maybe a carving knife of one sort or another if you were proficient with it. A spindle sander does a nice job, but repeatable results requires practice.

I tried carving with the chisels..and rasping.. and Spindle sander...It ain't easy...and never looked right.

This was done on a spindle sander. It was prewty quick, easy, and I could repeat it. Still, I see a jig like yours appearing in my shop someday..

Note the quick and dirty fret dressing, I just wanted something to play, oh, and that it is enlarged maybe 500%

Seems like it would be pretty easy to mount the board on an angled and profiled jig to run against a 1" diameter robo-sander drum to get accurate and repeatable results.

This was done on a spindle sander. It was prewty quick, easy, and I could repeat it. Still, I see a jig like yours appearing in my shop someday..

Note the quick and dirty fret dressing, I just wanted something to play, oh, and that it is enlarged maybe 500%

It's nice!.....But! The pointy bit ain't sharp enough for me
:). And don't worry about the nasty bits ...all close up pic's are
like that , it just brings us down to earth:D

Last edited:
Top Bottom