Baritone lovers- what is your favorite tuning?

Tigeralum2001

Reaction score
Do you play in D, D re-entrant, C, etc.?

I am thinking about a C tuning as I play with others and I'm not sure if I can transpose in my head fast enough if I play in D...

Taro Patch! but I often go back to DGBE when I feel like it:nana:

oh man you going to get a bari now..Lol
who going to be the builder? do I know him haha

Hey Daniel I thought Kamaka aways had Baritones?
I get hard enough time playing a Tenor with regular tuning..Lol

It just gives some easier bar chord keys...I love my bari!

I have 4 baritones all tuned differently. Bb (Southcoast flat wound), GCEA (Southcoast Linear), dGBE (Southcoast), DBGE (Mya-Moe baritone set). I especially like the GCEA and DGBE. The Bb strings/tuning are very nice. The GCEA is my new favorite for low G. I have had several tenors tuned low G with several different string sets and just never really grew to like any of them that way. Transposing isn't too horrible. I just can't look at anything with chord grids for GCEA when I'm playing DGBE. It makes my brain hurt.

Hey Daniel I thought Kamaka aways had Baritones?
I get hard enough time playing a Tenor with regular tuning..Lol

Kamaka not traditionalist anymore...they are the longest surviving and full production business...I've been educated :p

I picked up a vintage Martin... I know, I know... Look for several ukes for sale later today or tomorrow.

you are killing me! LOL
I see nothing wrong you love the uke what can I say..buy um now before you kids get older..
Btw where did you get it from?

I don't tend to have a set tuning that I use for my baritone playing, I switch from G (w/low D) to re-entrant, and tune anywhere between F and Bb, depending on the song and the style of playing it calls for. Nice to have that flexibility. :)

I have one GCEA, and one DGBE. I usually prefer the GCEA, the DGBE just seems to guitar like to me and I have guitars for that.

Southcoast Baritone Strings

I'm a Southcoast String fan for my three baritones:

Mya-Moe: linear Bb tuning - F Bb D G Southcoast ML-RW with two wound and two plain strings ($19). I play all the C-tuning chords but the lower key makes all the songs easier to sing.

Harmony: linear G tuning - D G B E Southcoast HL-RW with two wound and two plain strings ($19.50). Deep guitar sound perfect for jazzy chords.

Favilla: re-entrant G tuning - d G B E Southcoast HMU-W3 bass 3rd string is wound for a little deeper bass ($15). Sounds like heaven.

I like traditional G tuning - reentrant when I want to play a uke and linear when I want to play my "leedle guitar" :)

John

I tune my baritone ukes to DGBE, and I use a capo anywhere from the first fret to the sixth fret, so my favorite tuning could be any of:
DGBE, EbAbCF, EAC#F#, FBbDG, F#BD#G#, GCEA, AbDbFBb
Ahhh, sweet versatility. Baritone ukes rule.

My baritones are tuned linear DGBE. I have Guadalupe strings for linear GCEA tuning one octave below tenor tuning, but I haven't used them yet. I *want* my baritones to sound like guitars, being that I don't play six-string guitars (although I now have a tenor steel string guitar tuned liner DGBE), so I haven't tried reentrant tuning or GCEA in the same octave as tenors. I would like to experiment more, but I don't like to swap out strings, so I tend to wait until I need to change them.

My Favilla is tuned Linear GCEA (Southcoast) which suits it perfectly and is easy to jam with ukers or guitarists.

My Pono is tuned Linear Bflat (Southcoast flat wound) which also sounds pretty sweet. My new capo is on the way to make jamming easier.

I have three baritones and none of them sounded right in traditional DGBE.

Re-entrant GCEA an octave below standard uke. I like Guadalupe all-wound strings for this (these are the only wound strings I like!).

Top Bottom