PDA

View Full Version : Baritone lovers- what is your favorite tuning?

Tigeralum2001
03-30-2013, 08:54 AM
Do you play in D, D re-entrant, C, etc.?

I am thinking about a C tuning as I play with others and I'm not sure if I can transpose in my head fast enough if I play in D...

DaleR
03-30-2013, 08:56 AM
Taro Patch! but I often go back to DGBE when I feel like it:nana:

hawaii 50
03-30-2013, 08:56 AM
oh man you going to get a bari now..Lol
who going to be the builder? do I know him haha

Dan Uke
03-30-2013, 08:59 AM
The Hawaiian traditionalist don't even think those are ukuleles!!

hawaii 50
03-30-2013, 09:03 AM
Hey Daniel I thought Kamaka aways had Baritones?
I get hard enough time playing a Tenor with regular tuning..Lol

DaleR
03-30-2013, 09:04 AM
It just gives some easier bar chord keys...I love my bari!

Raygf
03-30-2013, 09:11 AM
I have 4 baritones all tuned differently. Bb (Southcoast flat wound), GCEA (Southcoast Linear), dGBE (Southcoast), DBGE (Mya-Moe baritone set). I especially like the GCEA and DGBE. The Bb strings/tuning are very nice. The GCEA is my new favorite for low G. I have had several tenors tuned low G with several different string sets and just never really grew to like any of them that way. Transposing isn't too horrible. I just can't look at anything with chord grids for GCEA when I'm playing DGBE. It makes my brain hurt.

Tigeralum2001
03-30-2013, 09:19 AM
oh man you going to get a bari now..Lol
who going to be the builder? do I know him haha
I picked up a vintage Martin... I know, I know... Look for several ukes for sale later today or tomorrow.

Dan Uke
03-30-2013, 09:20 AM
Hey Daniel I thought Kamaka aways had Baritones?
I get hard enough time playing a Tenor with regular tuning..Lol

Kamaka not traditionalist anymore...they are the longest surviving and full production business...I've been educated :p

UkeKiddinMe
03-30-2013, 09:31 AM
I have a baritone, and I just changed from DGBE with a GHS set to dGBE with my own customized Aquila Reds set.
Enjoying it very much.

hawaii 50
03-30-2013, 09:31 AM
I picked up a vintage Martin... I know, I know... Look for several ukes for sale later today or tomorrow.

you are killing me! LOL
I see nothing wrong you love the uke what can I say..buy um now before you kids get older..
Btw where did you get it from?

DaleR
03-30-2013, 09:35 AM
Kala Electric Bari with my Piggy!

Hippie Dribble
03-30-2013, 09:54 AM
I don't tend to have a set tuning that I use for my baritone playing, I switch from G (w/low D) to re-entrant, and tune anywhere between F and Bb, depending on the song and the style of playing it calls for. Nice to have that flexibility. :)

kenikas
03-30-2013, 10:33 AM
I have one GCEA, and one DGBE. I usually prefer the GCEA, the DGBE just seems to guitar like to me and I have guitars for that.

NewKid
03-30-2013, 10:50 AM
I'm a Southcoast String fan for my three baritones:

Mya-Moe: linear Bb tuning - F Bb D G Southcoast ML-RW with two wound and two plain strings ($19). I play all the C-tuning chords but the lower key makes all the songs easier to sing.

Harmony: linear G tuning - D G B E Southcoast HL-RW with two wound and two plain strings ($19.50). Deep guitar sound perfect for jazzy chords.

Favilla: re-entrant G tuning - d G B E Southcoast HMU-W3 bass 3rd string is wound for a little deeper bass ($15). Sounds like heaven.

OldePhart
03-30-2013, 11:47 AM
I like traditional G tuning - reentrant when I want to play a uke and linear when I want to play my "leedle guitar" :)

John

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
03-30-2013, 12:00 PM
I tune my baritone ukes to DGBE, and I use a capo anywhere from the first fret to the sixth fret, so my favorite tuning could be any of:
DGBE, EbAbCF, EAC#F#, FBbDG, F#BD#G#, GCEA, AbDbFBb
Ahhh, sweet versatility. Baritone ukes rule.

mds725
03-30-2013, 01:08 PM
My baritones are tuned linear DGBE. I have Guadalupe strings for linear GCEA tuning one octave below tenor tuning, but I haven't used them yet. I *want* my baritones to sound like guitars, being that I don't play six-string guitars (although I now have a tenor steel string guitar tuned liner DGBE), so I haven't tried reentrant tuning or GCEA in the same octave as tenors. I would like to experiment more, but I don't like to swap out strings, so I tend to wait until I need to change them.

Flyke
03-30-2013, 02:18 PM
My Favilla is tuned Linear GCEA (Southcoast) which suits it perfectly and is easy to jam with ukers or guitarists.

My Pono is tuned Linear Bflat (Southcoast flat wound) which also sounds pretty sweet. My new capo is on the way to make jamming easier.

I have three baritones and none of them sounded right in traditional DGBE.

haole
03-30-2013, 03:25 PM
Re-entrant GCEA an octave below standard uke. I like Guadalupe all-wound strings for this (these are the only wound strings I like!).

itsme
03-30-2013, 04:22 PM
Personally, I like a bari to sound like a bari... DGBE

Otherwise I have other ukes for other tunings, like gCEA or GCEA

I'm just not into adjusting my tuning to specific strings.

dirtiestkidever
03-30-2013, 08:44 PM
I have Favilla and generally keep it tuned in F: CFAD. It sounds truly luscious. It definitely sounds way different than tenors, concerts, and sopranos but I wouldn't say that it sounds guitar like. I hear that comment a lot and I really dont agree. I think baris, or at least this one, offer something unique that isn't easily achieved with a guitar. They offer soul and sustain that isn't always available in the smaller uke but still retain the smaller intimate sound of a ukulele. And baris definitely fall short of giving you the full wall of sound that a strummed guitar can provide. I spent many hours today playing a tenor gCEA, a bari CFAD, and an acoustic guitar. Switching between them was a lot of fun and really helped me appreciate the attributes of each.

In summary, CFAD.

Lalz
03-31-2013, 03:36 AM
Haven't got mine yet but when I do it'll be either in open G tuning (DGBD with low D), in regular linear DGBE or in re-entrant DGBE.

(Not sure when to capitalise the D or not, sorry)

drbekken
03-31-2013, 01:05 PM
DGBE - either linear or re-entrant. I love both.