Going to Merrie Monarch, Hilo, Hawaii

KentSantaBarbara

Reaction score
Aloha - Tuesday (2nd) to Saturday (April 6), Angie (the wife) and i are going to Hilo for the Merrie Monarch hula fest. Do you have any suggestions on ukulele related things to see or do while we are there? We planning to check out the Uncle Roberts farmers market on Wednesday evening, i've heard the music and food is a great experience. I'll try to see if Chuck Moore is available, and at least say Aloha and maybe he will have time for a short tour. I would also like to check out the ukulele museum and Hilo Guitars. Non ukulele things will be a trip to Volcanoes National Park, and maybe Akaka falls. We also plan on swimming every morning and watch hula in the evenings.

Any suggestions? Mahalo for the help.

Hilo side of Hawaii

+ 1 for the Hilo Farmers Market and visiting Ken Cameron at Hilo Guitars and Ukuleles'.

Akaka Falls is worth the drive. Take the Old Mamalohoa Hwy for a nice scenic route. The short hike to Onomea Bay is incredible too. You feel like a bug in a giant terrarium. Stop at the green tin roofed country store at Kulaimano Rd. for an old-time ice shave. Say hello to Mr Pickles the cat...

When I was in Hilo last October, I visited Hilo Guitars and I was also able to see the Big Island Luthiers' Association annual exhibit, which featured two Moore Bettahs and a whole bunch of other striking ukuleles. For non-ukulele things, I went to Volcanoes National Park, where I hiked down to and across the big smoldering crater left from an eruption about 30 years ago and went through the Thurston Lava Tunnel. I also took a helicopter tour of Volcanoes National Park that left from and returned to Hilo Airport, and I'd recommend that if you have time. I wish I'd made the hike in Volcanoes National Park that goes down to the ocean, but I didn't have time. I also wish I'd gone to Akaka Falls. Have a great time and report back!

I have been to the Merrie Monarch for 30 years now you will never forget it once you see it you are very lucky and in for a real treat

When I was in Hilo last October, I visited Hilo Guitars and I was also able to see the Big Island Luthiers' Association annual exhibit, which featured two Moore Bettahs and a whole bunch of other striking ukuleles. For non-ukulele things, I went to Volcanoes National Park, where I hiked down to and across the big smoldering crater left from an eruption about 30 years ago and went through the Thurston Lava Tunnel. I also took a helicopter tour of Volcanoes National Park that left from and returned to Hilo Airport, and I'd recommend that if you have time. I wish I'd made the hike in Volcanoes National Park that goes down to the ocean, but I didn't have time. I also wish I'd gone to Akaka Falls. Have a great time and report back!

Hey Mark it has been awhile since I went to the Big Island but my favorite parts were the lava flowing into the ocean(the black sands beaches close by) and Akaka Falls..one of the best waterfalls in Hawaii..

the Merrie Monarch is legendary

Top Bottom