TRIPLET STRUMS Part One - Examples

Ken Middleton

Reaction score

I posted this video on YouTube today. It is the first of several lessons on understanding and playing triplet strums. This introductory video is just intended to show 12 common examples, not to demonstrate how to actually play them. That will come in the next few videos. The next video will be on single finger triplets.

If you enjoy this video, please comment rate and subscribe on my YT channel.

I also cover all of this in one of my workshops where I illustrate how to use these strums in an well-known song.

Very clear and very useful. I didn't realize there are so many variations. Thank you Ken.

Just perfect tutorial for me, many thanks Ken !!!
Thank you for a perfect zoomed view on your hands, very well done !
Let's go to work now ;)

Very clear and very useful. I didn't realize there are so many variations. Thank you Ken.

Thanks. There are even more than this. The possibilities are almost endless. More detailed and specific videos to follow.

Just perfect tutorial for me, many thanks Ken !!!
Thank you for a perfect zoomed view on your hands, very well done !
Let's go to work now ;)

I will try to keep the next tutorial like this too. Thanks for watching.

Great stuff Ken...but I am all disappointed and broken-hearted 'cause I thought I'd "invented" number 9 all by myself :biglaugh: - though I think of it more as a circular strum than a triplet though I guess if you break it down the circular strum is just a bunch of triplets back to back, eh?

I really appreciate the time you put in and all you've given to the community. Back when I was really struggling with triplets you encouraged me and one of the things you mentioned that really helped (especially on faster stuff) was when you said something to the effect that "there are a lot of ways to play a triplet and you don't necessarily need to hit every string with all three of the strokes in the triplet" - that was a huge help at a time when I never thought I'd get it right. Shortly after that I found a Kimo Hussey video where he talks about the finger down - thumb down - finger up technique (I think that was #7 in your vid above unless I lost track). Between the two of you, you managed to rescue my triplets and my self esteem. LOL

BTW, I don't think I saw this one in your vid above, but it's what I've sort of fallen into playing much of the time... I've started playing a lot of triplets with index and second finger and thumb. I kind of fell into that when I started playing regular strums with both index and second finger, with one finger dragging slightly behind the other on both the down and up strums. It gives a fuller, sort of "8-string" sound, to my ear, without all the inconvenience of eight strings. Once I started doing that I just naturally followed with triplets doing the same thing. Oh, the other thing that I like about this "two finger" strumming is that you can go into more of a fan stroke just by increasing the drag "distance" between the two fingers.

Anyway, didn't mean to hijack your thread, just wanted to thank you for all you do for us.

John

BTW, I don't think I saw this one in your vid above, but it's what I've sort of fallen into playing much of the time... I've started playing a lot of triplets with index and second finger and thumb. I kind of fell into that when I started playing regular strums with both index and second finger, with one finger dragging slightly behind the other on both the down and up strums. It gives a fuller, sort of "8-string" sound, to my ear, without all the inconvenience of eight strings. Once I started doing that I just naturally followed with triplets doing the same thing. Oh, the other thing that I like about this "two finger" strumming is that you can go into more of a fan stroke just by increasing the drag "distance" between the two fingers.

John

Thanks for taking the time to comment, John.

I'm afraid I do teach that technique in my workshops. But don't worry, I didn't invent it either. It is certainly a great way of creating an 8 strings sound without laying out money for an 8 string uke.

Ken - your workshop students are very fortunate to have you.
I'd Love to take a workshop like that, but I haven't come across anything in my area.

Ken - your workshop students are very fortunate to have you.
I'd Love to take a workshop like that, but I haven't come across anything in my area.

The way forward may be for clubs or groups of individuals to organise workshop weekends. They really work well. I regularly do one in Regensburg, Germany. 6 workshops over two days.

I posted this video on YouTube today. It is the first of several lessons on understanding and playing triplet strums. This introductory video is just intended to show 12 common examples, not to demonstrate how to actually play them. That will come in the next few videos. The next video will be on single finger triplets.

If you enjoy this video, please comment rate and subscribe on my YT channel.

I also cover all of this in one of my workshops where I illustrate how to use these strums in an well-known song.

Ken, thanks for this video.. It reminded me to go back to the basics and go slow to go fast. Within a coupe of days I was able to get a good sounding strum to be consistent, rather than the awkward strum I started out with. Bob

Ken, thanks for this video.. It reminded me to go back to the basics and go slow to go fast. Within a coupe of days I was able to get a good sounding strum to be consistent, rather than the awkward strum I started out with. Bob

Thanks Bob. Yes, I agree. It is always better to go slow and get it right rather than to play fast and learn mistakes.

Top Bottom