Why are gear ratios for uke tuners much lower?

The 4:1 tuners are planetary geared tubers.

There was a time when every ukulele had friction pegs. 1 to 1. Regular geared tuners for ukulele's are ususally 14 to 1. The 4 to 1 tuners are special planetary tuners. The fill a gap by looking like traditional 1 to 1 friction pegs yet also having some advantages of geared tuners.

Anthony

Yes, open or sealed geared tuners used more commonly on concert or tenor ukes run up around 24:1, I think. I play sopranos, so I used all friction tuners. But I know that some use the planetary tuners on soprano ukes at 4:1.

Why would anyone want 1:1 or 4:1 when there are inexpensive ways to achieve much more?
What am I missing? Thanks.

I would venture to guess that higher gear ratios also mean higher weight or bigger size. As tiny as ukes are are, the lightest possible tuners seem to be the preference.

Why would anyone want 1:1 or 4:1 when there are inexpensive ways to achieve much more?

The love of friction pegs (1:1) is a secret requirement (oops, cats out of the bag) for you to be initiated into the world of ukulele's. To make fun of or ridicule friction pegs is to forever find yourself in the UNCOOL group. You will never be an insider.

Anthony

The love of friction pegs (1:1) is a secret requirement (oops, cats out of the bag) for you to be initiated into the world of ukulele's. To make fun of or ridicule friction pegs is to forever find yourself in the UNCOOL group. You will never be an insider.

Anthony

Oh Noooes, I am dooomed!!! Well I didn't think I'd like friction tuners, and I was right. I prefer geared and (at this stage of my development anyway) consider them more accurate.
Would I be wrong to think that the greater the #:1, the less accuracy is possible?

Oh Noooes, I am dooomed!!! Well I didn't think I'd like friction tuners, and I was right. I prefer geared and (at this stage of my development anyway) consider them more accurate.
Would I be wrong to think that the greater the #:1, the less accuracy is possible?

Accuracy IS possible with friction pegs. Its just a frustrating experience to get there and if your dealing with an instrument with a new set of strings that are still settling in then its PAINFUL. Its just SOO much quicker and a lot less frustrating to get accurate tuning with geared tuners.

The higher number to 1, #:1 then the slower the tuning but easier to make fine adjustments. The lower then ratio, 1:1 then the faster the tuning but more difficult to make fine adjustments.

Anthony

Last edited:

I ask this same question. I guess I'm not as sensitive to weight as most. And you, being accustomed to playing a much heavier instrument probably wouldn't be, either.

I ask this same question. I guess I'm not as sensitive to weight as most. And you, being accustomed to playing a much heavier instrument probably wouldn't be, either.

True. :)

I always wanted light small instruments, but in the bass world, before the UBass, that meant trying to go from 8 or 9 pounds to down to 7 or less.
Then we were - Light.

In the uke world, it feels like we're talking about ounces, so, what's a few more ounces? ;)

so, what's a few more ounces? ;)

Sometimes it's a problem on a nice, lightly built soprano because the extra weight pulls down the headstock end a disrupts the balance of the instrument, making it a chore to hold properly while playing.

In the uke world, it feels like we're talking about ounces, so, what's a few more ounces? ;)
As Nicko said: it's not about ounces, it's all about balance. If you add an appropriate counterweight to the opposite end of your uke you could use whatever heavy tuners you like.

As long as it doesn't add ears to the headstock of course
smiley_emoticons_unknownauthor_cool.gif

(And yes, I know I belong to the UNCOOL group with all of my ukes)

Accuracy IS possible with friction pegs. Its just a frustrating experience to get there and if your dealing with an instrument with a new set of strings that are still settling in then its PAINFUL. Its just SOO much quicker and a lot less frustrating to get accurate tuning with geared tuners.

The higher number to 1, #:1 then the slower the tuning but easier to make fine adjustments. The lower then ratio, 1:1 then the faster the tuning but more difficult to make fine adjustments.

Anthony

Actually the ratio is described as # of handle turns needed for 1 turn of the peg with the string - so the higher the #, the more accurate your tuning (because every movement of the tuning knob has less impact on the string tension)

Last edited:
Friction tuners are traditional for ukes, so many people prefer them. I've gotten to the point where I don't mind friction pegs, but they certainly aren't my preference.

I am a big fan of planetary gear tuners, and I find the 4:1 ration more than adequate for accurate tuning.

Top Bottom