Polkalele info anyone?

lisaxy424

Reaction score
Hey all! A friend of mine acquired a Polkalele from a relative, and immediately asked if I wanted to buy it (news of my uke addiction may be further spread than I thought...)

He said from his online research, that he's thinking $200. I have NO idea if that is a good offer or not - are these things rare, are they just decoration...help! :)

I did get to look at it and strum it a little, and it seemed to be in pretty good condition. It's a weird freaking thing to look at, but that makes it all the more appealing to me.

Anyone have any advice to whether this is a good investment? Thanks so much! :)

Wow, that's a wild-looking uke! Might be hard to find a case for it :D

Hey Lisa. $200 is way to high for a polkalaylee. I bought one for $80 a few years back and it's yours for $50 plus shipping if you want it. The Singing Treholipees built by Swagerty are more valuable and better players IMO. I have one of those with original tags too.

Dang. Who wouldn't want one of those? Just to scare dogs and small children with if nothing else!
I must say, I was expecting an attached accordion of some sort, though...

Aloha Lisa,
Looks quite unusal to say the least, and not really great sound.....it's a gimmick here watch this...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQEgZrE-of4

Doesn't help that the one in that video isn't even close to in tune. Of course, it might not be possible to bring one in tune, either!

The whole design was pretty obviously more about looking different than sounding or playing well. I have no idea what possessed someone to think that an extra few feet of useless wood stuck off the end of a headstock would make an instrument balance better... Considering that many people begrudge the weight of geared tuners on a uke that monstrosity is certainly a solution looking for a problem...and probably not finding it.

John

Doesn't help that the one in that video isn't even close to in tune. Of course, it might not be possible to bring one in tune, either!

The whole design was pretty obviously more about looking different than sounding or playing well. I have no idea what possessed someone to think that an extra few feet of useless wood stuck off the end of a headstock would make an instrument balance better... Considering that many people begrudge the weight of geared tuners on a uke that monstrosity is certainly a solution looking for a problem...and probably not finding it.

John

The design was inspired by the surf craze in the 60's. The idea was that a surfer could stick the neck in the sand and run out and catch a wave on a moments notice after playing his uke.

Aloha John,
Who sells strings that long...ha ha he must be using fishing line....LOL
Made by the Peterson Co, located in Ohio. Circa 1960. These Peterson built instruments are very much like Swaggerty's "Kooky Uke" line. These (the Peterson instruments) included the Polk-A-Lay-Lee and the Wander-le-le. The Polk-A-Lay-Lee was reportedly built as part of a failed advertising scheme for Polk brothers. Polk Bros. was the dominating electronics/appliance retailer in the Chicago market from about 1935 through the 1980s. However, the box and accompanying booklet make no mention of the Polk Brothers store. The box does however state that they are "Hand Made of Solid wood" but on all the Polk-A-Lay-Lee's I have seen it is fairly obvious that at least the top and back are plywood. The Polk-A-Lay-Lee was offered in brown, natural, red, or black.

Last edited:
not for spearing fish or warding off sharks?

That's a wall hanger if ever I've seen one!

Hey all! A friend of mine acquired a Polkalele from a relative, and immediately asked if I wanted to buy it (news of my uke addiction may be further spread than I thought...)

He said from his online research, that he's thinking $200. I have NO idea if that is a good offer or not - are these things rare, are they just decoration...help! :)

I did get to look at it and strum it a little, and it seemed to be in pretty good condition. It's a weird freaking thing to look at, but that makes it all the more appealing to me.

Anyone have any advice to whether this is a good investment? Thanks so much! :)
I bought for $40. Not in the best of shape. I like it as a wall hanger. But I did make my first video (Elephant Town) with it. Last I checked the plastic pegs were worth $25 each.

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks for all the responses! I feel way more confident asking for less than $200 now (plus I'd rather get a Mainland with that kind of money!) :)

I'm interested in buying your polkalaylee! Does it still play?

Hey Lisa. $200 is way to high for a polkalaylee. I bought one for $80 a few years back and it's yours for $50 plus shipping if you want it. The Singing Treholipees built by Swagerty are more valuable and better players IMO. I have one of those with original tags too.

I'll buy it! Does it still play?

I just picked up a Polkalaylee at an estate sale this morning. It is in pristine condition and came in the original box. $65

Top Bottom