PDA

View Full Version : What was the last uke you bought? And what uke are you planning to buy next?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Rllink
05-05-2017, 03:23 AM
I don't remember whether I ever answered the question. Fifty pages, that's traction. My last ukulele was my Mainland which I bought in April of 2014. I have not really wanted another ukulele, but I have recently acquired a student and her mother pays me every week in cash. I throw the cash in my ukulele case where it has been accumulating. So my wife asked me what I was going to do with all my money, and I told her that I was going to buy a new ukulele with it. I don't even know why I said that, but I've started looking around. So far I haven't found anything that I really wish that I had. The seed has been planted however, and I look almost every day to see if something calls to me. I particularly check here in Marketplace because I think it would be fun to buy one from someone in this community.

bratsche
05-05-2017, 05:04 AM
My last was a Pone MTD-CR. Next on my agenda is SELLING, not buying any more, as I have the 2 ukes I wanted (a baritone and a tenor), and have too many mandolin and violin family instruments that aren't getting played. I need to reclaim the space!

bratsche

clark-kentski
05-05-2017, 01:36 PM
Yesterday a Martin Style 3 Centennial from Elderly and this morning a Martin Style 1 from Chicago music exchange . Its about time sell off a few..

Doc_J
05-05-2017, 06:13 PM
https://goo.gl/photos/3cLzj4JpE3WQUfAG6 (That's Corey of HMS playing.)

I decided to try something new, unique to me, and way out of my comfort zone.

I added a Kanile'a Custom 19 inch scale Koa Tenor recently. I had no idea that I was going to like it, and decided to try it on a whim as I had never had anything at that scale before. I am really surprised how comfortable I am with it and how I am able to move up and down the fretboard so comfortably.

I don't know what the next one will be, but as I will attending the The Ukulele Fest of Great Britain next month, I am sure there will be another one in my future.

That is wonderful Lenny! I'll be surprised if you don't come home from Cheltenham with a Howlett.

VoiceofTJ
05-24-2017, 06:07 AM
A Cocobolo soprano, next is a Cocobolo 5 string tenor.

Ziret
05-24-2017, 06:42 AM
I confess to having bought eight and sold five in a bit over a year, but when you live far from anywhere you can try before you buy, this might be necessary, especially in trying different scales and neck sizes. I learned a lot and didn't waste too much money. My most-recent purchase was the Mahilele. I'm currently on a ukulele-buying hiatus, as three or four seems to be my upper limit of comfort for accumulation and I don't want to sell any of the ones I have. I wish I could count on not buying more, but that seems unlikely. I remember thinking it was going to be one and done. Oh those days of innocence.

bacchettadavid
05-24-2017, 07:00 AM
My last purchase was a Koaloha soprano this month last year. I have two ukes now, a good number for me. I recently sold my low G tenor to partially fund the purchase of a Hilton Electronics volume pedal. As far as ukes go, I don't have my eye on any one in particular but I'm sure I'll purchase another one (probably another K brand) in the next few years.

DownUpDave
05-24-2017, 07:33 AM
I have not stayed current with this thread.........there has been a flurry of activity in the stable of ukes. I hear confession is good for the soul, we will see. In the last 6 weeks I have purchased a used Koolau tenor (NUD done), Korala plastic concert (NUD done) a used Mya Moe baritone (NUD done). In a moment of weakness, aren't they all, I bought Lennys used Blackbear ULO concert and it is in transit. I did sell 5 ukes in the last 4-5 months so it is really just rotating in and out

To answer the question "what are you planning to buy next"????? Most of my purchases are not planned. I do have a Farallon on order, due in June sometime so I am planning to buy that. I am also waiting on a LfdM baritone due in September.

ukuleleden
05-25-2017, 12:56 AM
I'm with Dave as far as this may be more of a confessional of unplanned rapid acquisitions than that of well strategized buying plan. But to try and stay in the theme of the thread:

One uke Arrived on Tuesday, one on-order being built, two Ukes scheduled for delivery today... Yes suffering from UAS!

Last acquired Purchase: A: KoAloha Opio Concert Acacia; B: Martin Centennial Series 1 Soprano (Out for Delivery); C: Koa Pili Koko (KPK) Deluxe Super Soprano (On Order). D: Kala SSLNG (Out for delivery).

Next planned purchase: With the KoAloha Opio now in my hands and being hard to put down, the Martin and Kala scheduled for delivery today, followed by the KPK on-order, I have absolutely no reason to be thinking about "the next purchase". But just for fun, if I were thinking about the next purchase I was previously considering in a wide range from the likes of a Blackbird Clara, to a Spruce Fluke with Pegheads and a Player Sound Port. But then KoAloha has absolutely bowled me over, so currently I would be thinking of another KoAloha model... My name is Ukuleleden, and I have UAS really bad.:music:

FinnP
05-25-2017, 01:58 AM
Flea concert, next:Ohana ck39 when it's out

oddycog
05-26-2017, 09:11 AM
I've just bought a Ken Timms style 0, a truly beautiful little ukulele and now hoping this will stop my AUS for a while...

jfalconc
06-20-2017, 02:23 PM
Bruko #6F and KoAloha Koa "Rosette" Soprano (KSR- 00)...my next target Martin 2K Soprano!!!

Uk3player78
06-21-2017, 06:15 AM
Another one who has missed this thread. ☺️

I am a lover of the Martin sound. Not much else floats my boat even the K's. I recently got a Ken Timms Soprano. I don't think anything else I could buy will top it. Not stopping me trying tho...

I have a hand made uke on commission expected Christmas time. One Wunderkammer Ike Soprano. All hand tooled in.. yup a 1920's Martin vibe. Always on the look out for a vintage Martin.

Ukecaster
06-21-2017, 11:42 AM
Last was a Bruko #6, very cool little soprano, love the look; the sound is still growing on me. That 1 piece maple neck makes me feel like I'm slinging a telecaster! Next will be a mahogany concert, probably a laminate Famous/Kiwaya, as I love my lam koa Famous FS-5.

Ziret
06-22-2017, 05:21 AM
Last was a Bruko #6, very cool little soprano, love the look; the sound is still growing on me. That 1 piece maple neck makes me feel like I'm slinging a telecaster! Next will be a mahogany concert, probably a laminate Famous/Kiwaya, as I love my lam koa Famous FS-5.
You have good taste, John.

Ukecaster
06-22-2017, 05:46 AM
Thanks Teri. I inquired about the Famous laminate mahogany concert FC-1G model from a shop on Rakutin Global (in Japan). They told me they can't ship these to US, because of the CITIES restrictions on rosewood. :( Too bad. I thought they had switched the fingerboards to walnut, which would avoid that issue. Will try some other shops there to see what they say.

Ziret
06-23-2017, 12:25 AM
Thanks Teri. I inquired about the Famous laminate mahogany concert FC-1G model from a shop on Rakutin Global (in Japan). They told me they can't ship these to US, because of the CITIES restrictions on rosewood. :( Too bad. I thought they had switched the fingerboards to walnut, which would avoid that issue. Will try some other shops there to see what they say.
Oh rats, please tell us what you find out.

jfalconc
06-24-2017, 07:38 PM
Bruko #6F and KoAloha Koa "Rosette" Soprano (KSR- 00)...my next target Martin 2K Soprano!!!

Martin 2K Soprano - target achieved
https://i.imgbox.com/ikY4gtnP.jpg (http://imgbox.com/ikY4gtnP) https://i.imgbox.com/6DF2Bjck.jpg (http://imgbox.com/6DF2Bjck)

Ukecaster
06-25-2017, 03:11 AM
Oh rats, please tell us what you find out.

No reply from the shop I tried to buy from in Japan. I guess a Famous concert us off the radar for now, unless they start using alternates to rosewood. I have a used Fluke concert coming soon instead.

strumsilly
06-25-2017, 12:52 PM
I bought a Kmise laminate sapele tenor for $38 from flea bay so I could get my Islander back from the person I lent it to. After filing the nut slots a bit, not a bad little beater. Pretty too.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/26-Inch-Kmise-Tenor-Ukulele-Ukelele-Uke-Hawaii-Guitar-Sapele-Rosewood-18-Fret/361516651272?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Benjolele
06-27-2017, 10:12 AM
Last one I bought was a Luna concert banjolele. The person selling on eBay advertised it as a tenor, which is hard to find in any make, so I bought it. It's a concert. I should have done my research, I don't even think Luna makes a tenor. I believe this one is headed for craigslist.

Last uke I bought that I'm planning to keep is a Risa Les Paul model.
I had been searching every website I could find for the Cherry Sunburst for quite awhile when I wrote to Mim's Ukes directly. She had them backordered from Risa but took the time to contact them, and was able to get them to send one out for me. And then coordinated shipping with me to make sure it would arrive on a day that I was home.
Am I writing this mostly as a testimonial to MIM's Ukes? (Maybe)
And BTW, this thing is amazing! One of the best instrument purchases I've ever made.

The next one, I'm hoping, will be a Kala all solid acacia baritone. Ordered it a month or so ago from a friend, but he hasn't heard when or if it's due.
Of course, I keep one eye on Craigslist all the time so.... (I don't have a problem)

bman40
06-28-2017, 04:21 PM
Mya Moe Tenor - quilted maple back and sides, port orford cedar top, mahogany neck, ebony fretboard, peghead tuners -#2004

I don't plan on buying another ukulele - ever.

hobblecreek
07-02-2017, 11:13 AM
Kamaka HF-3 D2I Slothead Centennial, built by Casey Kamaka. Can't image owning a better built, more beautiful or perfect sounding instrument. By "perfect sounding" what I mean is that it rings like a bell, but with a smooth resolution and clarity that for me is all I could ask for. Don't think I'll need to ever buy another one.

deznuchs
07-11-2017, 10:55 PM
Last ukulele I purchased was a Pono MTSH circa 2010. I took a hiatus from playing and sold that MTSH a couple years back. I just started playing again, which also trigger my UAS.

Next Uke:I want another slot head but with a cedartop. Currently looking at Pono RTSH-C or KALA KA-ZTP-CTG.

Trying to resist UAS. I was single that last time I was bit by that bug and my partner has never seen that side of me;)

Uk3player78
07-12-2017, 08:45 AM
My affair with the Ohana SK35GS was a brief fling. I'm am shipping it back and have a Pono Solid Mahogany Deluxe Soprano replacing it.

My first Pono despite being keen on the brand when I started years ago.

Edit, crippling with UAS. Koaloha Opio Sapele concert on the way too. Martin S1 going.

ripock
07-12-2017, 09:58 AM
My latest and greatest was a Kamaka HF-3LDS. What I have my eyes set upon is...well, I don't have a specific ukulele in mind; what I want is something with a redwood soundboard and a body made of something special like milo. Perhaps Koolau has something like that. Anyway, that is more my high-end desire. On the more attainable front, I have eyed with longing one of those RISA solid body baby Les Pauls with two humbuckers.

Nickie
07-18-2017, 06:03 PM
Lately I've been thinking soprano, since my friend bought her William King here, and I'm trying to learn the basics of Campanella style.....maybe I'll win one at TBUG this year....

Croaky Keith
07-18-2017, 10:15 PM
I'm still holding out from buying that RISA Steel String Electric, but I don't know how much longer I can hold out. :drool:

Steve in Kent
07-18-2017, 11:01 PM
Last ukulele I purchased was a Pono MTSH circa 2010. I took a hiatus from playing and sold that MTSH a couple years back. I just started playing again, which also trigger my UAS.

Next Uke:I want another slot head but with a cedartop. Currently looking at Pono RTSH-C or KALA KA-ZTP-CTG.

Trying to resist UAS. I was single that last time I was bit by that bug and my partner has never seen that side of me;)

Oh yes, the Pono RTSH-C, that is driving me crazy just now, itchy fingers......

Ukecaster
07-19-2017, 02:51 PM
Most recents in my uke journey have been a well played used Fluke concert 2 weeka ago, with rosewood board and metal frets, really like that one. It came wth linear Worth Browns, which sound great, but 8 want to try a high G string too. Then, I traded a Bruko #6 for a Pono AT tenor, which is arriving soon.

Next week, a used, supposedly mint, thin Kiwaya KS-0 that I snagged for $125.00 will be coming in. That will be my 1st mahogany soprano (although laminate). One day, I hope to own a nice, vintage Martin mahogany soprano.

bighatbulls
07-20-2017, 02:06 PM
Last one for me was my Kala Solid Mahogany Concert purchased from HMS. I LOVE IT.

Next one, I have been looking but I haven't heard the sound I want yet.

Croaky Keith
07-20-2017, 09:13 PM
Don't forget that changing to different strings can change the sound of a uke, so I would try some strings to see the difference they make to one of your ukes to get an idea of how you could change the sound of a uke you are looking for. :)

kkimura
07-21-2017, 02:16 AM
What was the last uke you bought? And what uke are you planning to buy next?

For me...

Last: Kamaka Concert- HF-2+ (factory upgraded with Gotoh tuners)

Next: Still deciding, but a soprano of some kind

To Emma, the starter of all this, thank you for a great thread!

As I look back to my previous posts in 2013 and 2014 I see that I had no clue as to what my uke journey would be like. In 2013 I wanted a KPK soprano and in 2014 I was hoping Martin would offer a spruce top HPL uke. Neither happened as my current 2017 signature attests.

And so today my last uke is a totally unplanned late model Martin S1 whose previous owner made me an offer I couldn't refuse and my next uke might be a vintage Martin tenor.

That's the plan today, who knows what will really happen.

bighatbulls
07-21-2017, 03:25 PM
Don't forget that changing to different strings can change the sound of a uke, so I would try some strings to see the difference they make to one of your ukes to get an idea of how you could change the sound of a uke you are looking for. :)

My Kala SMC was love at first sound, its brightness is more sunset than sunny, it has a very warm full sound. Sadly I made a poor string choice, and I have to wait for payday to fix it.

Chopped Liver
07-21-2017, 04:37 PM
Last purchase: Pono Soprano Mango

Next purchase: prob nothing. I am trying to simplify and minimalize my life and I also want to pay down debt.

If I were going to buy another, I'd like to try a sopranino. I really wanted one of those cheap Caramel butterfly ones, but they are no longer making them. Probably a good thing for me . . .

kohanmike
07-22-2017, 07:36 PM
I'm sure I posted here a good while ago, but here is the last one I bought, a custom with sound holes only around the sides, spalted and flame mango from Bruce Wei Arts in Vietnam, and the next one is also a custom from Bruce, a brown burst with Hawaiian Island sound holes and bird fret markers.

http://www.kohanmike.com/uploads/Spalted done binding.jpg
http://www.kohanmike.com/uploads/Brown burst islands.jpg

bunnyf
07-23-2017, 10:14 AM
My last use was a Pono PC Bari, cutaway MiSi, cedar top/acacia body. Got it locally from a nice old lady who bought this as her first uke from HMS. She played for about a month and quit. Got it 1/2 price. Lot it and haven't felt the need for nothing else. It's comfortable, love the tone, nice clean build. I won't sound any better on anything else, so why keep looking. If I were to get something next. It would be a Pono tenor guitar (steel string).

cyber3d
07-26-2017, 02:02 PM
Not yet a collector of Ukuleles however, there's always time!!!!

Today, I picked up a Tiny Tenor that I just fell in love with. Solid Mahogany, ebony tuners, gloss finish, fits so nice, sounds so beautiful. 101807

rappsy
07-26-2017, 03:09 PM
Today, I picked up a Tiny Tenor that I just fell in love with. Solid Mahogany, ebony tuners, gloss finish, fits so nice, sounds so beautiful. 101807

Excellent move. I love my TT. I have the Koa version, and it is the one I take with me when I go to meetups, etc. It always get a lot of comments... Best wishes and congrats on a great Uke purchase.

Booli
07-27-2017, 04:24 AM
My last uke purchase was a used mango tenor Fluke with the rosewood fretboard and factory K&K pickup, which I have tuned in fifths CGDA...

My next hopeful uke purchase(s) (after I downsize and re-home a few) will be either a Martin C1K, or a vintage Martin Soprano, or the newer "budget" version of the Romero Tiny Tenor...but these are not pressing matters since my UAS fund is dry and I have debts to pay off first...

Nickie
07-27-2017, 12:11 PM
I hear ya Booli.
You'd love the TT.
I paid off my last loan, and now am Baroque.
But I'll never be poor, as long as I have my ukulele friends here at home and on UU!

camperman
08-02-2017, 05:25 AM
Last one was a Snail Rosewood Concert. Brilliant for the money, I love the sound but I just can't take to it :(
Next one, Possibly, very possibly, very very possibly Anuenue tenor :)

DownUpDave
08-02-2017, 01:21 PM
I saw this on FFM and couldn't stop myself, it is in transit as we speak. I have always liked the sound of these Kala KA-SSLNG which is a solid spruce top super soprano.

NewKid
08-02-2017, 01:34 PM
Last uke I bought was a Kinnard baritone in 2015. Next uke will be a Collings UC3 Koa if they ever start making them again.

Tootler
08-03-2017, 01:35 PM
I've been thinking about an 8 string for a while now. I went into a music shop today and they had a Baton Rouge 8 string hung on the wall. I already have a Baton Rouge 6 string and have been really pleased with it. Well, surprise, surprise, I walked out of the shop with that 8 string. Octave G & C strings and unison E & A. I plan to change the C strings to unison so it's tuned like a Renaissance Guitar. I should have spare set of Aquila strings so I'll pinch the C string from that (I usually use fluorocarbon strings so the Aquilas are surplus to requirements). Save me buying a new set of strings as I can live with the Aquilas for now. With that stringing gGCCEEAA, replacing strings should simply mean buying 2 standard sets, one High G and one low G.

Should have added. Next up is to rehome some ukes that I'm no longer playing.

Olarte
08-04-2017, 05:31 AM
Believe it or not I bought a soprano and tenor outdoor ukuleles. I know the first version was horrible. I still have it. But the new ones are pretty good. Much like the waterman but heavier and much more sturdy. These I can see taking on a camping trip.101967

Ps I added they scorpion decals

Jonas3000
10-29-2017, 05:28 AM
Hello ukulele friends,

I need some help with buying a ukulele, maybe someone can help answering my question.

I've been looking at the two following ukuleles.

The: Kanile´a K-1 Gloss Soprano (K-1 S #16368)

This one:

https://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/hawaiian-made-ukulele/kanilea-k1-s-gloss-1952.html

And the: KoAloha Koa Gloss Soprano (KSM-00 #17912)

This one:

https://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/hawaiian-made-ukulele/koaloha-gloss-koa-soprano-package-ksm-00-172.html

I don't know which one of these two ukuleles, that would fit my left hand best.

Are the width of the nut / neck on these two ukuleles the same size ?

- Or which neck is smallest ?.

it is difficult to judge from the photos.

(I ask this question because I have small hands and fingers, so the size of the nut is quite important for me)

Any information you may have would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Jonas.

DownUpDave
10-29-2017, 05:53 AM
Hello ukulele friends,

I need some help with buying a ukulele, maybe someone can help answering my question.

I've been looking at the two following ukuleles.

The: Kanile´a K-1 Gloss Soprano (K-1 S #16368)

This one:

https://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/hawaiian-made-ukulele/kanilea-k1-s-gloss-1952.html

And the: KoAloha Koa Gloss Soprano (KSM-00 #17912)

This one:

https://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/hawaiian-made-ukulele/koaloha-gloss-koa-soprano-package-ksm-00-172.html

I don't know which one of these two ukuleles, that would fit my left hand best.

Are the width of the nut / neck on these two ukuleles the same size ?

- Or which neck is smallest ?.

it is difficult to judge from the photos.

(I ask this question because I have small hands and fingers, so the size of the nut is quite important for me)

Any information you may have would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Jonas.

Hi

Have you played ukulele before or guitar?? Kanilea have a 1-1/2" wide nut, this is the widest nut width commerically available. Koaloha is a bit smaller at 1-7-16", most other ukuleles are smaller still at 1-3/8" (seems to be the standard)

I prefer a 1-3/8", but I have some at 1-7/16" and that is fine. When I move up to 1-1/2" then it is noticable and I am not comfortable playing them. Other people will be different, it's all personal.

Croaky Keith
10-29-2017, 09:06 AM
I'm still holding out from buying that RISA Steel String Electric.......

I forgot about this thread; I got myself a Kala KA-ASAC acacia concert uke last month, my most expensive uke to date, & hopefully, my last purchase. :music:

Rllink
10-29-2017, 09:18 AM
I forgot about this thread; I got myself a Kala KA-ASAC acacia concert uke last month, my most expensive uke to date, & hopefully, my last purchase. :music:

I saw this on FFM and couldn't stop myself, it is in transit as we speak. I have always liked the sound of these Kala KA-SSLNG which is a solid spruce top super soprano.

10194155 pages. I'm not going back to see if I've commented. Besides, even if I did, things have changed probably. I'm going to buy a Spruce Soprano. Probably solid top, laminate sides and back, but we will have to see what I end up with. I really like that Kala Dave, but I don't think they have that one that isn't a long neck, and I don't want a long neck. For me, it just defeats the purpose of getting a soprano, because I want it to be shorter than my concert. But I like it otherwise.

Croaky Keith
10-29-2017, 09:41 AM
I find the purpose of a 'long neck' is to have a different sounding body with a particular scale, rather than it being a longer neck on a particular sized body. :D

Croaky Keith
10-29-2017, 09:50 AM
.... I'm going to buy a Spruce Soprano. Probably solid top, laminate sides and back..... I really like that Kala Dave, but I don't think they have that one that isn't a long neck, and I don't want a long neck. For me, it just defeats the purpose of getting a soprano, because I want it to be shorter than my concert. But I like it otherwise.
This one might be to your liking,
http://www.southernukulelestore.co.uk/Product/102/Kala-KA-SSG-Solid-Sitka-Spruce-Top-Soprano-Ukulele-Gloss-Finish
or, Ohana have some nice spruce sopranos.

RafterGirl
10-29-2017, 09:52 AM
Newest uke - Islander AS-4 soprano. My first soprano.

Next uke - Loprinzi concert is in the works. Solid cedar top, solid rosewood back & sides.

Rllink
10-29-2017, 10:23 AM
I find the purpose of a 'long neck' is to have a different sounding body with a particular scale, rather than it being a longer neck on a particular sized body. :D
I know that a lot of people like the long neck sopranos and I'm sure that they are nice. I'm looking for a true soprano size ukulele though.

This one might be to your liking,
http://www.southernukulelestore.co.uk/Product/102/Kala-KA-SSG-Solid-Sitka-Spruce-Top-Soprano-Ukulele-Gloss-Finish
or, Ohana have some nice spruce sopranos. I think you are right. I had not seen that particular Kala, and I thought that I had searched Kala from every angle. Thanks. I've actually had my eye on the Ohana ukulele for a couple of months. I'm slow to jump though. I'm going to a ukulele festival here in November and I hope that I come home with something. That's all.

WifeOnFourStrings
10-29-2017, 11:05 AM
“Mann Tracht, Un Gott Lacht”

At the moment I'm craving a solid body electric uke, but a stock update email from HMS can easily change plans. :rofl:

Jonas3000
10-30-2017, 09:34 AM
Thanks for your reply.

I only tried to play a ukulele a little bit, and I have never played a guitar.

This will be my first instrument, which means I am a total new beginner.

- But I would like to buy a proper ukulele that I can have for many years, because I know for sure that this is something I want to be good at.

I'm interested in buying the:

KoAloha Koa Gloss Soprano (KSM-00, 17912)

I wish to know if any one has any experience with ordering a ukulele from Hawaii to Costa Rica.

- Does any one in here ever ordered a ukulele from Hawaii to Costa Rica from this webpage:

Thanks for the help so far, I appreciate that.

Kind regards,
Jonas.

mkatz
10-30-2017, 02:08 PM
The next ukulele for me will be another Kinnard Tenor, they are truly awesome instruments :D

I have a Kinnard Tenor build underway and am very excited!

Mitch

Tootler
10-30-2017, 10:48 PM
I'm fancying one those Kala 8 string baritones but it will be some time before the finances permit it.

Pueo
10-30-2017, 11:16 PM
Thanks for your reply.

I only tried to play a ukulele a little bit, and I have never played a guitar.

This will be my first instrument, which means I am a total new beginner.

- But I would like to buy a proper ukulele that I can have for many years, because I know for sure that this is something I want to be good at.

I'm interested in buying the:

KoAloha Koa Gloss Soprano (KSM-00, 17912)

I wish to know if any one has any experience with ordering a ukulele from Hawaii to Costa Rica.

- Does any one in here ever ordered a ukulele from Hawaii to Costa Rica from this webpage:

Thanks for the help so far, I appreciate that.

Kind regards,
Jonas.

If anyone can get a KoAloha to Costa Rica, it is definitely the folks at TheUkuleleSite.
Also, you might try cocobolo Ukuleles, I believe they are located in Nicaragua and make some beautiful ukuleles.
I think they may be less expensive for you.

john bange
12-10-2017, 05:14 AM
Loprinzi model d tenor with upt Gotoh pegs...very nice

ripock
12-10-2017, 05:30 AM
last ukulele bought: Blueridge tenor guitar (steel-stringed baritone)

next ukuleles:
1. in January I will get a cigar box guitar (4 strings, tuned like a baritone)
2. in July I will receive a custom long-neck tenor I commissioned from Tinguitar

maki66
12-10-2017, 05:34 AM
A Donner tenor for my nephew's Christmas gift.
Apparently his shipmates got him playing 6 months ago
with a loaner.

FinnP
12-10-2017, 06:20 AM
Imua ICN, I'm very pleased with it. Love the hand rubbed oil/wax finish.
It got even better after I changed strings to Worths browns.
It's a small concert with a feel very similar to Kiwaya.
Next: Koaloha concert

maki66
12-10-2017, 06:48 AM
Imua ICN, I'm very pleased with it. Love the hand rubbed oil/wax finish.
It got even better after I changed strings to Worths browns.
It's a small concert with a feel very similar to Kiwaya.
Next: Koaloha concert

That's purdy!!

RafterGirl
12-10-2017, 07:51 AM
My Loprinzi cedar/rosewood concert should be ready in about a week. Yippee.....can't wait to get it.

Croaky Keith
12-10-2017, 08:09 AM
......& just in time for the Holidays. :)

dinghy
12-10-2017, 01:37 PM
ahoy

few weeks ago got a 90 plus year old Martin style 1
it is nothing short of wonderful
month before that
got at 90 plus year old Martin style 2

this has to be the end of my UAS
no next uke for a very long time
cookie jar is empty
wife will kill me if buy another uke

yours truly
mac

Nickie
12-10-2017, 01:45 PM
wife will kill me if buy another uke

yours truly
mac

Will he buy another uke?
Will his wife really kill him?
Stay tuned!

Ukecaster
12-10-2017, 04:07 PM
Yes, he will.

Yes, she will.

Headstone will read "My Dude Had Fleas"

Chopped Liver
12-10-2017, 04:09 PM
Enya Sapele Tenor Ukulele in August. I wanted to try the tenor size without breaking the bank. Except for the fret ends that I had to sand down, it is a very nice uke! I really like it!

Lapyang
12-11-2017, 01:14 AM
My last was a Romero Creation XS Soprano Spalted Mango. A sweet little Uke that really exceeds my expectations. My next one could either be a Oceana custom concert which I ordered 3 months ago, or a Fred Shields custom Soprano which I ordered 3 weeks ago. Both should be ready by Christmas/New Year. Will see which one arrives first.

DownUpDave
12-11-2017, 02:39 AM
I kinda lost my mind over the Enya X1 model, a formica car uke appeals to me. So I bought the round bodied soprano (frypan) first. Then I bought the pineapple soprano, because I have never owned a pineapple. It does have a bigger, fuller more resonant sound, quite nice actually. They all have a radius fret board so I bought the concert, it has a pick up yahoo.

There has been a tenor purchased recently but that one deserves a NUD which I will get to in a week or so.

SoloRule
12-11-2017, 08:01 AM
I kinda lost my mind over the Enya X1 model, a formica car uke appeals to me. So I bought the round bodied soprano (frypan) first. Then I bought the pineapple soprano, because I have never owned a pineapple. It does have a bigger, fuller more resonant sound, quite nice actually. They all have a radius fret board so I bought the concert, it has a pick up yahoo.

There has been a tenor purchased recently but that one deserves a NUD which I will get to in a week or so.

I ordered this very same Enya pineapple so that Dave won't kick me out of his club.
I ordered a cherry wood pineapple custom built by Fred Shields to support Mr Shields quality craftsmanship.
I just bought a Lerrivee Baritone in support of fella Canadian but only to found out Mr Lerrivee has become an American
Now let's see who can I support next ???? :rolleyes:

May be this one next since it's a Canadian made
https://www.zzounds.com/item--SEAUKENYL

kvehe
12-11-2017, 08:10 AM
I ordered this very same Enya pineapple so that Dave won't kick me out of his club.
I ordered a cherry wood pineapple custom built by Fred Shields to support Mr Shields quality craftsmanship.
I just bought a Lerrivee Baritone in support of fella Canadian but only to found out Mr Lerrivee has become an American
Now let's see who can I support next ???? :rolleyes:

May be this one next since it's a Canadian made
https://www.zzounds.com/item--SEAUKENYL

Beat you to it, Brenda. LOL

I had to buy it in honor of my Canadian friends. :D

bratsche
12-11-2017, 10:52 AM
I believe that when I posted to this thread, I said I'd not be getting any more. However, I find myself wanting another uke family instrument, but next time one with more than only four strings. I'm just not sure just what it will be, yet. I'm waiting for it to call my name. I briefly thought one did, but it got away, so apparently it was calling someone else's name.
:)

bratsche

Pueo
12-11-2017, 11:47 AM
I had 10 ukuleles. I thought I was done.
Then I sold my Kamoa to help finance a new one, I bought myself a Compass Rose 5-string Tenor for my 50th birthday!
Redwood top, cocobolo back and sides.
I just love it!
No plans for anything else on the horizon. I still have ten ukuleles!

http://youtu.be/WhprqjzFoxg

DownUpDave
12-11-2017, 04:31 PM
I had 10 ukuleles. I thought I was done.
Then I sold my Kamoa to help finance a new one, I bought myself a Compass Rose 5-string Tenor for my 50th birthday!
Redwood top, cocobolo back and sides.
I just love it!
No plans for anything else on the horizon. I still have ten ukuleles!

http://youtu.be/WhprqjzFoxg

First off....HAPPY 50TH BIRTHDAY. That is a great sounding birthday present. Really nice video performance, you both sound awesome, congratulations

Debussychopin
12-13-2017, 08:00 AM
I wasn't into ukes for awhile but I recently bought a sopranissimo uke from ohana. The willow laminate one.
Nice uke and very playable but not down the neck. It'll take some more practice to get a handle on that but that's what I want, a reasonable challenge.

ddreger1242
12-21-2017, 01:32 PM
Last/First: Kala Acacia Tenor
Next: Kanilea Tenor (after a year of playing)

On second thought I've been considering a waterman for tailgating

Croaky Keith
12-21-2017, 11:11 PM
Saw a second hand Clearwater steel string electric uke for sale, at a nice price, so it will be heading my way shortly. :)

Steve in Kent
12-21-2017, 11:26 PM
When I can source one in the UK, a Tenor Outdoor Ukulele.

kvehe
12-22-2017, 06:30 AM
I have a cedar/acacia Pono Master Series tenor out for delivery today. :D

DownUpDave
12-22-2017, 06:37 AM
I have a cedar/acacia Pono Master Series tenor out for delivery today. :D

Oh boy oh boy, nice choice Kathryn

I liked my new to me used Kimo koa/maple tenor so much I have commissioned a super concert with Hank already. Here is a picture of the walnut back we will be using. Top half has been wetted down to show color and grain

kvehe
12-22-2017, 06:50 AM
Heart, be still! Dave, that is absolutely gorgeous!

Chopped Liver
12-22-2017, 10:47 AM
Oh boy oh boy, nice choice Kathryn

I liked my new to me used Kimo koa/maple tenor so much I have commissioned a super concert with Hank already. Here is a picture of the walnut back we will be using. Top half has been wetted down to show color and grain

Whoa! That's some gorgeous wood there!

Debussychopin
12-22-2017, 10:54 AM
Last one wasn't a uke but a Cordoba c5 requinto 520mm. Got a great price on it from reverb. They got one left.

captain-janeway
12-22-2017, 11:34 AM
May get a Goodtime banjo uke. One of my local shop is selling a new one for $299. It's that or swap a tenor Kala cedar top I have for a concert Firefly

jfalconc
02-19-2018, 02:39 AM
Romero Creations XS Soprano & Mahogany Tiny Tenor
Next: ???

captain-janeway
02-19-2018, 10:11 AM
Last Mainland mahogany concert because the beautiful Kala tenor solid top cedar I bought as my first uke was too big for my hands
next: Either a used Kala long neck spruce soprano or a GT Little Gem banjo uke that's coming out in July.

Ukecaster
02-19-2018, 11:52 AM
Last one was a late 40s Martin Style 0, NUD on that one coming after I bond further with it, but stellar so far.

Only thing lacking is a nice concert size uke. A vintage Kamaka with the wave headstock would be sublime. However, a ply/spruce Tiny Tenor would be nice too,and much more affordable.

katyar
02-19-2018, 01:12 PM
Last: Ohana CK-65D Concert Art Deco all solid Spruce/Mahogany Matte with a Low G from Mim--absolutely LOVE it!

Next: either the Gold Tone Concert Banjolele BU-1 Maple Banjo Ukulele Uke with Pickup or the Gold Tone Plastic Banjolele that's being released this summer. I can't decide!

I'm also thinking about the new Ohana Pineapple Sopranino TPK-70G All Solid Spruce / Mahogany w Abalone, but I need to try it in person to see if it's big enough for me to play.

I'm also looking for another soprano, but I don't have a clue what I want just yet....

#UASisreal

TheNoseeums
02-19-2018, 02:13 PM
Last uke i bought was a Pono Pro classic baritone with a sun burst, i throw some custom strings on it, and I pick the hell out of it in a bluegrass/americana/funk/jamband. Its been an awesome addition to my music journey, however, im going electric soon, so if im lucky one of the great luthiers out there who make custom electric baritones will have one for sale, or ill have to get an electric tenor guitar tuned DGBE, probably the warren ellis from eastwood guitars.

BigJackBrass
02-19-2018, 07:44 PM
A Magic Fluke Company soprano Flea was my most recent purchase, a fairly basic one with the standard polycarbonate fretboard and orange (sorry, mango) top. Very much enjoying how immediately playable it is.

Next, but probably not for some time, I'll be considering a banjolele of some sort. Might need to gently break this news to my partner...

Jerryc41
02-21-2018, 05:08 AM
The last uke was a Kamaka HF-1 soprano. My next will be a Dewdrop.

Jerryc41
02-21-2018, 05:09 AM
Next, but probably not for some time, I'll be considering a banjolele of some sort. Might need to gently break this news to my partner...

The Duke 10 and Gold Tone DLX would be good choices. The Duke 10 is very light, and the Gold Tone is heavy, at about five pounds.

BigJackBrass
02-21-2018, 06:23 AM
The Duke 10 and Gold Tone DLX would be good choices. The Duke 10 is very light, and the Gold Tone is heavy, at about five pounds.

Thanks for the suggestions. I do like the look of the Duke.

TobyDog
02-21-2018, 06:27 AM
Just received it today..... a Magic Fluke concert Flea, sapphire blue with upgraded fretboard and pegs. My plan is for this to be my 'low g' instrument. It's my 2nd Flea. I view them as the Toyota Corollas of ukes, they get the job done with no frills and they'll take a beating - no need to baby them.

If I get another one, who knows....

Ukulammy
02-22-2018, 04:01 AM
I bought a VERY cheap Kmise thin body tenor off eBay. It actually doesn’t sound bad. I only began playing in January, so I’m still finding my likes and dislikes. I love it due to the thin body. It’s very comfortable. My next test run will be a cheap concert pineapple to see how I like that size and shape.

Dansimpson
05-26-2018, 05:39 AM
Ohana SK21-A sopranino, only one I could find in the UK for sale new, all appear out of stock now, very happy with it

frolicks
05-26-2018, 06:12 AM
A vintage Martin Style 0, from the 40s, and a concert-sized taro patch, built by Claus Mohri, a German luthier specializing in Ukuleles. Both together more than 2000 Euros, so no plans at all for this year. None. Nothing at all. Nada.

...well, except maybe for a Romero ST Concert mango...;)

joshsimpson79
05-26-2018, 05:08 PM
My latest was an outdoor bottle Brown tenor. That puts me at 4. I'd better stop there for now. If I buy any more, I'm gonna have to sell some other instruments or my wife may kill me.

Mr. Sweetie
05-26-2018, 05:09 PM
Outdoor Ukulele soprano in blue was the most recent. Next is a soprano kit from StewMac.

CYN
05-27-2018, 06:31 AM
Just bought an Ohana solid Cedar top with willow back and sides. Really love the different sound. It is bell like with the willow making it a liitle different than most cedars.

RafterGirl
05-28-2018, 03:06 AM
Imua soprano was my last. A result of browsing on Reverb. I was half-heartedly searching for a nice soprano, and had my parameters in mind when I stumbled i upon this beautiful little Imua. I'm very happy with my current ukulele family and have no plans to buy any more.

twokatmew
05-28-2018, 03:27 AM
Latest: Mainland classic red cedar/rosewood tenor.

Next: Melbert six-string lap steel; sell concert and baritone ukes.

captain-janeway
05-28-2018, 06:22 AM
Just bought an Ohana solid Cedar top with willow back and sides. Really love the different sound. It is bell like with the willow making it a liitle different than most cedars.

Kept looking at the soprano version of that. Really liked the sound but didn't pull the trigger.

captain-janeway
05-28-2018, 06:30 AM
Still a fairly new player. Bought a beautiful Kala solid cedar top and then found it too big for my hands. Got a Mainland concert and I'm playing it more and finding my hands "growing into" playing that tenor. I just put out the money for a Duke 10 because I love the banjo sound and the weight. I've tried a few other banjo ukes, and they just seem to weigh a ton. This one's like 2 pounds. Looks like Duke's for sale now. Glad I got one of it's last ones. I love the look and feel. for me if it was a concert it would be perfect. I may pick up one of the new Gold tone concert Little Gems. Yeah it's plastic, but it actually has a nice sound from the clip, is concert size, and it's Blue! I usually only like woods, but this weird one kind of calls to me.

Croaky Keith
05-28-2018, 07:24 AM
I'm still UAS free since my last uke purchase, a pre-used Clearwater steel string electric, but my last uke prior was my best, KoAloha Opio long neck concert acacia, & I don't think I'll be needing any more. :)

UAS free for 6 months. :D:music:

Gary52
05-28-2018, 07:41 AM
My latest is a Kala solid mahogany baritone, my first bari. It's keeping UAS at bay for the time being.

Lapyang
05-29-2018, 02:52 AM
My last impulse buy was a KoAloha Mango Concert a month ago. My original PLAN was a custom made Jupiter Tenor coming in 2 months. But another impulse buy just happened last night...Kinnard Tenor...will be arriving next week...

plunker
05-29-2018, 03:43 AM
Last uke was an OS28T. Next uke hard to say. I am sure that if I wait long enough NUD will hit me.109326

Rosendust
06-18-2018, 01:00 PM
I got my first Uke from Mim that's a left handed custom! It's a Kala Soprano and should be arriving in the next day or two!
My next one: I'm a fairly new player, so I don't think UAS has kicked in! Though I said that about Fountain Pens and I have 8... :D

Jerryc41
06-19-2018, 02:43 AM
Firefly - arriving today. (Bruko and Pono last week) I think this will be my last one - seriously! I have thirty-eight, and I want to reduce that total.

technicalta
06-19-2018, 05:40 AM
I have a KoAloha Concert coming in today and it's my first solid Koa instrument! I'm somehow already eyeing a Soprano from KoAloha as well. I think UAS is setting in real hard.

captain-janeway
06-19-2018, 11:58 AM
I got my first Uke from Mim that's a left handed custom! It's a Kala Soprano and should be arriving in the next day or two!
My next one: I'm a fairly new player, so I don't think UAS has kicked in! Though I said that about Fountain Pens and I have 8... :D

Just got a Duke 10, but yeah, don't get me going on fountain pens. Have a bunch of them. Love writing with them.
May also get a Little Gem when they're out. The tenor sized Duke may be a little big for me, but love the sound.

Mivo
06-19-2018, 10:49 PM
I just bought back the Pono RBSH(S) Pro Classic baritone that I had sold two years ago (to get the funds for a Kanile'a GL6 that I didn't click with, even though it was a beautiful instrument). I had tried to buy it back before, but the buyer had been so happy with it that he didn't want to sell. Now he switched his focus to tenors and I was able to get this baritone uke back. Of all the ukes I sold, this was the one I regretted letting go. I'm happy it's back, especially since they no longer make the rosewood model.

Rakelele
06-21-2018, 06:28 AM
I just bought back the Pono RBSH(S) Pro Classic baritone that I had sold two years ago (to get the funds for a Kanile'a GL6 that I didn't click with, even though it was a beautiful instrument). I had tried to buy it back before, but the buyer had been so happy with it that he didn't want to sell. Now he switched his focus to tenors and I was able to get this baritone uke back. Of all the ukes I sold, this was the one I regretted letting go. I'm happy it's back, especially since they no longer make the rosewood model.

Welcome back to the forum, Mivo. Glad to hear that you got this wonderful baritone back!

Jerryc41
06-21-2018, 09:42 AM
Just got a Duke 10...

Where did you get the Duke 10? I didn't think they were still selling them, now that the company is for sale.

quiltingshirley
06-21-2018, 10:51 AM
I got a Grateful Dead Alvarez Tatoo concert Uke. I already knew Ripple so now working on Casey Jones. That riff is easy on my regular Uke but a bit more challenging on the new one. Not bad for the price. Picks well and plays ok in 1st and 2nd positions. Forget anything higher up the neck. Fun to play

Mivo
06-21-2018, 01:25 PM
Welcome back to the forum, Mivo. Glad to hear that you got this wonderful baritone back!

Thanks, Rainer, good to hear from you. :) Yep, that baritone was an instrument I should never have sold. I was thrilled when Lars offered it to me after he had declined my attempts several times before. It also came back in pristine condition just like I had sold it. I didn't regret selling any of the others, but that Pono baritone I couldn't get over.

captain-janeway
06-21-2018, 02:19 PM
Where did you get the Duke 10? I didn't think they were still selling them, now that the company is for sale.

Got it from Duke because I'd had contact with him before. You might send an email and see if he has any left. Ed is a lovely man. eackman@xtra.co.nz

Jerryc41
06-22-2018, 12:14 AM
I got a Grateful Dead Alvarez Tatoo concert Uke. I already knew Ripple so now working on Casey Jones. That riff is easy on my regular Uke but a bit more challenging on the new one. Not bad for the price. Picks well and plays ok in 1st and 2nd positions. Forget anything higher up the neck. Fun to play

A friend and I each got the Roses version. As you said, "not bad for the price."

Rosendust
06-23-2018, 07:36 AM
Last-Kala Dolphin
My next desired: A Kala Waterman

Mr. Sweetie
06-23-2018, 10:24 AM
My most recent is a Mainland mahogany soprano which I am really fond of. My next will be a custom built soprano. I am looking to co-create something specific to my style of playing and with very specific woods. I have not identified a builder yet, but I am sure everything will unfold in due time. :)

Rakelele
06-23-2018, 10:46 AM
My most recent is a Mainland mahogany soprano which I am really fond of. My next will be a custom built soprano. I am looking to co-create something specific to my style of playing and with very specific woods. I have not identified a builder yet, but I am sure everything will unfold in due time. :)

Have you had a listen/look at the Sopranos of John Kinnard?

Mr. Sweetie
06-23-2018, 10:53 AM
No, but I have seen his guitars and they are visually striking. I'm going to take a look around for some information.
Thanks!

Rakelele
06-23-2018, 10:56 AM
No, but I have seen his guitars and they are visually striking. I'm going to take a look around for some information.
Thanks!

Here are some samples (the sopranos can be ordered via HMS):

https://vimeo.com/theukulelesite/videos/search:kinnard%20soprano/sort:date

Mr. Sweetie
06-23-2018, 11:09 AM
Thank you! I will enjoy checking the rest of these videos out. first one I heard was really nice. :)

XLady Lavenderx
06-23-2018, 04:20 PM
i am uke beginner,and just this month i bought 6 ukulele already,,and the last one i just received yesterday was kanilea k1c

RafterGirl
06-24-2018, 02:34 AM
I found the next uke that will have to join my family yesterday at the Utah Ukulele Festival......banjolele. I got to play a Gold Tone for a few minutes and it was love at first strum.

Jerryc41
06-24-2018, 05:59 AM
I found the next uke that will have to join my family yesterday at the Utah Ukulele Festival......banjolele. I got to play a Gold Tone for a few minutes and it was love at first strum.

Is it the Deluxe, with the resonator? That's the one I have. I figured if I was getting a banjolele, I was going all the way. It's heavy, but with a strap, it doesn't matter. Great sound.

Braddtastic
06-28-2018, 04:44 AM
Just bought a green tenor Outdoor Ukulele a couple of weeks ago and absolutely love it! I'd done my homework and was concerned about a muted sound, but just led a big youth campfire last Saturday and found it can be played loudly with just a little effort. I forced myself to leave the high G in place, just to have a uke with high G, and I've gotten used to it. The higher tenor sounds flow nicely out of this ukulele, both bright and balanced, and despite what others have said the sound quality of mine is comparable enough to my solid wood ukes that it's become the first one I reach for. I know, I should probably diss the sound quality so that I look more discerning and knowledgeable, but it really is surprisingly good. In addition to very nice sound quality, I absolutely love how it illuminates whenever the light catches it (even indoors). I'd intended to leave this one at my office, but find myself taking it home with me every night just so I can play with it. Worry-free travel, attractive looks, and nice sound...Highly recommend!

Ukecaster
06-28-2018, 05:07 AM
My last one was an older Famous FS-5, in laminate koa. Compared to my Kiwaya lam mahogany KS-1, it seems fuller/woodier. The KS-1 seems punchier/brighter, more like a good mahogany soprano. Both are loud, with the construction/action that Kiwaya is known for. Both play easier than my vintage Martin sop, but the Martin still has a slight edge in classic vintage sop tone.

Ukulammy
11-07-2018, 04:04 AM
I just bought a Deering Goodtime banjolele yesterday. I LOVE it! Being a woman I’ve always found hanging onto a Uke tedious. If I press in with my strumming arm my chest pushes the neck out too far. With the Deering I can actually stabilize it with my forearm while leaving my hands free. It’s the most comfortable Uke I’ve ever played.

RafterGirl
11-07-2018, 06:39 AM
Last bought (then sold) was an Imua soprano. Awesome sounding ukulele, but it convinced me that I'm not a soprano person.

Just bought over the weekend & should be headed my way soon..........aNueNue Moon Bird concert.

Jerryc41
11-07-2018, 07:12 AM
Yesterday, I bought a new Asonu Tahitian Whale Tail and a Romero Tiny Tenor (spruce) from someone on UU.

Kyle23
11-07-2018, 01:43 PM
Koa Pili Koko Concert

Next - Hopefully there won't be a next, but if I was going to save up and get something, it would be either a Kanilea or a Kamaka Tenor.

I posted this 5 years ago... Today I finally bought a Kanile'a Tenor! About damn time, I'd say.

Joyful Uke
11-07-2018, 02:08 PM
I posted this 5 years ago... Today I finally bought a Kanile'a Tenor! About damn time, I'd say.

I admire your restraint over the last 5 years.
Congratulations on the new Kanile'a! They make such beautiful ukuleles.

Kyle23
11-07-2018, 03:16 PM
I admire your restraint over the last 5 years.
Congratulations on the new Kanile'a! They make such beautiful ukuleles.

The only restraint was the lack of money haha. I would have got one 5 years ago if I could have!

Ziret
11-08-2018, 04:19 AM
I am becoming right envious of you! Let us know how much you love that Moon Bird. It's one uke I'd consider cracking the 1K barrier for.

Last bought (then sold) was an Imua soprano. Awesome sounding ukulele, but it convinced me that I'm not a soprano person.

Just bought over the weekend & should be headed my way soon..........aNueNue Moon Bird concert.

Joyful Uke
11-08-2018, 05:39 AM
I am becoming right envious of you! Let us know how much you love that Moon Bird. It's one uke I'd consider cracking the 1K barrier for.

There are probably several of us waiting to hear what RG thinks about the concert Moon Bird.
Keep us posted!

Uncle Rod Higuchi
11-08-2018, 05:55 AM
I just bought a Kala Padauk Soprano through eBay, still waiting for its arrival.
I got it because I have been wanting a Padauk uke for a long time and I do
play Sopranos mostly :)

My previous purchase (last month) was a low-g Concert made by Kerry Bannister, local
luthier, Lynnwood, WA, made out of 1880s mahogany from a piece of furniture. Kerry
is always on the lookout for such items and even made a uke from a leaf-shaped
bowl/tray :)

prior to that, and I'll stop with this, I ordered 3 Andoer Concert, plastic-back, electric/
acoustic ukes for family and to share with my ukulele class members if they want to
try a concert-size uke :)

Keep uke'in', everyone!

Uncle Rod Higuchi
11-08-2018, 06:12 AM
OOPs, forgot to answer the 2nd question:

Currently, esp after the Soprano Padauk purchase, not really looking
for another uke :) [ at this time]

:)

Steedy
11-08-2018, 07:00 AM
Last uke I bought was a Kamaka Baritone.

Next uke I'm buying is a Blackbird Farallon Tenor.

After that, no more! :)

RafterGirl
11-08-2018, 07:12 AM

There are probably several of us waiting to hear what RG thinks about the concert Moon Bird.
Keep us posted!

I'll definitely keep you all posted. It was a big plunge on the price, but every review I've read & sound sample I've heard have been outstanding. Kalei Gameo seems to like the Moon Bird and that's a pretty high recommendation. Now, if I can just learn to play at a tenth of his level :bowdown:

Jerryc41
11-08-2018, 07:14 AM
I bought a Rolando banjo uke today, and I will be buying a DJ Morgan mini pineapple in May. Between now and then, who knows.

TobyDog
11-08-2018, 01:27 PM
Last uke I bought was a Fred Shields all mahogany concert Backpacker. Next, I'm thinking it will be a mango or koa tenor.

technicalta
11-09-2018, 01:25 PM
I bought a basically new Kanile'a K-3 Tenor off of Reverb at a great price about a month ago. I know I don't need another uke but I'm looking at the moon bird next...

kkimura
11-09-2018, 04:30 PM
The last ukulele I purchased is a preowned Martin T1K. Trying out a set of Worth Brown re entrant strings.

kohanmike
11-09-2018, 08:05 PM
The last uke I purchased is actually a bass uke from Aquila, the ShortBassOne-60 that came with Thunder Red strings, which I are find are too sticky, so I changed them to La Bella/Gold Tone flatwound steel, chrome tuners and added a tailpiece to accommodate the extra length and higher tension. My next is an Aiersi bass uke that I'm going to have modified to look like a Music Man Bongo Bass.

http://www.kohanmike.com/uploads/Aquila before after 900.jpg

http://www.kohanmike.com/uploads/Aiersi & Orange Bongo Bass.jpg

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

Yokosmom
12-20-2018, 05:34 AM
Gold Tone Little Gem banjo uke (not shipped to my house yet)

frolicks
12-20-2018, 06:07 AM
Flea Koa Soprano.

No plans yet. Apart from the custom uke I ordered from a luthier here in Germany. Will some time, though, the waiting list is long.

technicalta
12-20-2018, 06:17 AM
Just received my aNueNue Moon Bird concert a few days ago. It's incredible. I think I'll do a NUD soon.

No plans for now, just enjoying the ukes I have.

CommonCurt
12-20-2018, 08:31 AM
Waiting for my Loprinzi custom concert to be finished any day now.
Next, I plan on getting a Loprinzi custom soprano, or a Kiwaya KTS-4, or a Ken Timms soprano.
Also been thinking about a KTC-1.

Jerryc41
12-20-2018, 08:35 AM
I'm waiting for a nice Southern Cross banjo uke to arrive, and I hope that's my last purchase for a long time. I want to sell a dozen or so.

ghostsolo
12-20-2018, 09:40 AM
Just bought a mainland cedar tenor. I want to get a baritone next, but that won't happen for a few months at least.

efiscella
12-20-2018, 02:42 PM
Last two ukes bought in same day:
1940's Martin T1
1997 Early KoAloha Soprano

Next Uke: can't imagine anything I would want other than a Moore Bettah

RafterGirl
12-20-2018, 03:11 PM
Just received my aNueNue Moon Bird concert a few days ago. It's incredible. I think I'll do a NUD soon.

No plans for now, just enjoying the ukes I have.

My last uke was also an aNueNue Moon Bird concert. Yep....Incredible.
Pretty happy with my herd at the moment .......but you know......Santa will probably give me a little $$$. Hmmmmm. What do I need? Whatcha gonna sell Jerry????

ksiegel
12-21-2018, 10:49 AM
I just got both a Magic Fluke Timber Bass, in oak, and an Ohana CK-450QEL Quilted Eucalyptus Concert sized uke.

Neither was planned, until I decided to get them, and then I just called Mim.

If PayPal (or credit cards) didn't exist, I'd have a lot fewer ukuleles.

-Kurt

kvehe
12-21-2018, 01:07 PM
The last uke was an incredible Mya-Moe Port Orford cedar/black-and-white ebony soprano; I had the pleasure of picking it up in person from Cary Kelly in his Glenview shop last week.

Next? Nothing on the radar, although I keep obsessively checking the HMS website.

robinboyd
12-21-2018, 06:19 PM
I just got both a Magic Fluke Timber Bass, in oak, and an Ohana CK-450QEL Quilted Eucalyptus Concert sized uke.

Neither was planned, until I decided to get them, and then I just called Mim.

If PayPal (or credit cards) didn't exist, I'd have a lot fewer ukuleles.

-Kurt

I'm really interested to hear about the Eucalyptus one. I've never heard of it used as a tone wood, but it's all over the place here, so it would be worth checking out.

glennerd
12-22-2018, 04:06 AM
Just got a Córdoba 24B cedar top and loving my first Baritone. Will have to sell a few ukes now ... to make space for this big guy.

DownUpDave
12-22-2018, 01:27 PM
The last one I bought was a LfdM 19" super tenor cedar and myrtle and it is the last uke I am buying. No really......it is.....stop laughing.....stop it:p

ksiegel
12-22-2018, 04:04 PM
The last one I bought was a LfdM 19" super tenor cedar and myrtle and it is the last uke I am buying. No really......it is.....stop laughing.....stop it:p

It really is a beauty, Dave, but...

No, it isn't.

Maybe the last one This Year...

-Kurt

DownUpDave
12-23-2018, 06:42 AM
It really is a beauty, Dave, but...

No, it isn't.

Maybe the last one This Year...

-Kurt

Thanks Kurt........and you are probably right, I got no plans to buy anything new this year. Except maybe a guitar but that doesn't count......right;)

Dansimpson
12-23-2018, 08:14 AM
Tin Guitar custom concert, courtesy of Rob Collins.
I aim to sell one maybe 2 ukes in the near future, which will leave me with the ones I want. I am happy that the journey to get what I wanted only took 18 months. I do hanker after one other uke, which is a private sale, held back by lack of funds. If I am lucky enought to complete that sale I shall no longer be in the market for anything else.

ripock
12-23-2018, 08:37 AM
Tin Guitar custom concert, courtesy of Rob Collins.
I aim to sell one maybe 2 ukes in the near future, which will leave me with the ones I want. I am happy that the journey to get what I wanted only took 18 months. I do hanker after one other uke, which is a private sale, held back by lack of funds. If I am lucky enought to complete that sale I shall no longer be in the market for anything else.

Rob is the luthier that I also chose to close out my collection. I sold off all my ukuleles except my Kamaka for re-entrant tuning and a custom tenor from Rob for my linear tuning. I am actually very happy now. I am lucky that I am a one-uke kind of person so that I don't have a hankering for more. I'm happy to bond with what I have.

cogfasser
12-23-2018, 09:38 AM
Last one purchased was the 1933 Martin Style 2. Really wonderful instrument. Next purchase will be a
custom tenor due early next year. Lately, I’ve been also curious about a resonator uke. That might be in the future as well.

Dansimpson
12-23-2018, 10:00 AM
I'm happy to bond with what I have.

And there I believe is a very important point.....sometimes overlooked, it may take time to get the best out of any instrument, but it should feel good in your hands, comfortable, balanced, from day one...took me quite a while to "get in tune" with my Martin, and sometimes I find the right strings for you and the uke are a more important aquisition than another uke :-)

Martinlover
12-23-2018, 10:20 AM
Waiting on this baby: https://www.theukulelesite.com/pono-md-20sb-spruce-mahogany-8-string-tenor-guitar-octave-mandolin.html

Ordered it because I had store credit AND it seems so different and exciting sounding. We’ll find out this week.

Bill Sheehan
12-23-2018, 12:22 PM
And there I believe is a very important point.....sometimes overlooked, it may take time to get the best out of any instrument, but it should feel good in your hands, comfortable, balanced, from day one...took me quite a while to "get in tune" with my Martin, and sometimes I find the right strings for you and the uke are a more important aquisition than another uke :-)

Excellent point, Dan!

Doc_J
12-23-2018, 02:00 PM
Hmm. Sometimes I plan out a uke purchase, and other times an opportunity presents itself.
Then there are those ukes you'd like to try, but you can't or don't.

Last one purchased was a Tom Guy Bluegrass tenor cigar box. Next planned uke is a bespoke 19" Beltona reso baritone.

Bill Sheehan
12-23-2018, 02:37 PM
I am thoroughly enjoying my Ohana SK-70MG soprano, which I purchased from Mim a couple of weeks ago. I would have to say that it's the prettiest uke I've ever had, just very attractive with its spruce top and its flamed mahogany sides and back, and nice gloss finish; crafted with great care, it feels light as a feather, and Mim set it up with a very comfortable medium-low action; it has plenty of punch, and it intonates accurately. It isn't a terribly expensive instrument, but it's a great example of a uke that could very easily be "your one and only" uke for many years to come, and you would do absolutely fine with it. Now, that's not to say that my itch to grab another uke at some point has been totally scratched; in fact, I'll confess that I am awaiting delivery (from Uke Republic) of the very inexpensive Eddy Finn "P-Nut" soprano, about which I have been curious for quite some time! Here's a photo of my Ohana SK-70MG soprano... Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all here; I truly enjoy our ongoing exchanges, and I have learned "a ton" about so many aspects of the ukulele since I began stopping by here!

Bluefoot
01-09-2019, 01:49 PM
Today I picked up my eleventh ukulele (relax, I've only kept nine!) a used Highland Tenor Neck Soprano ukulele. It's quite pretty, sounds sweet, and I can't find out a thing about it. I was told they were only made briefly, that it is mahogany, and probably a laminate. I don't know what brand strings she is wearing, but she doesn't project real loud compared to some of my others. I got it with a gig bag for a mere forty-five dollars which pleased me immensely compared to what I was looking at with other long necks. Her label says Highland Guitar Company but doesn't have a model number.

114665 114666 114667

Wukulele
01-11-2019, 07:42 AM
Wow! I picked one up briefly earlier this week (plunked around on it for 30 sec b/c I was running short on time, my mind was/is deep in Guilele/Kiku-land & far away from steel strings). It was stunning!
Am even more impressed by Corey on the 1st video on the HMS link... "I don't play mandolin or anything, but we'll see what we can do..." what a sandbagger, LOL... He seems to make any plucked stringed instrument sound amazing...

Hope you post pics/ videos!

Waiting on this baby: https://www.theukulelesite.com/pono-md-20sb-spruce-mahogany-8-string-tenor-guitar-octave-mandolin.html

Ordered it because I had store credit AND it seems so different and exciting sounding. We’ll find out this week.

Joyful Uke
02-03-2019, 09:09 AM
Just put in my order for the Beatles ukulele. (Blue one.) It's likely to be a wall hanger, but one that will make me smile.
No plans for buying anything else, but I've said that before, and then found something that I couldn't resist. :-)

Swamp Yankee
02-03-2019, 11:50 AM
The other day a second hand Cordoba 30T arrived .... love it. Before the coming week is done, I should have the next purchase in hand: a Kiwaya KS-1 :rolleyes:

jimrex62
02-04-2019, 06:07 AM
I received my new Outdoor Tenor in green with gold stuff last week. It has exactly the right amount of clarity and projection that I wanted - something to plink around with while at the campsite and out on the back deck.

In September, I bought a new MFC Fluke SB Tenor for quiet plinking.

Not expecting to buy another until I can mentally/financially justify the Blackbird Farallon... my recent uke of interest.

Wukulele
02-04-2019, 08:28 AM
An "Echo Bridge" baritone sized guilele on sale from Johnson Stringed Instruments through Reverb.

I remember the name JSI from when I was a kid. They've been selling/trialing/renting violins/violas/cellos/bows for decades. I can see how years of dealing w/fiddles would lead to mandolins & then guitars... which could then lead to ukes. So I had some confidence in this $40 B-stock gamble. It looks like "Echo Bridge" may have been their (recent?) foray into house brand guitars/ukes?

Based what I can tell from my guilele's clean looking build (sooo light, thin wood/laminate that reminds of Kiwaya's laminate ukes, resonant & LONG sustain) I could easily consider buying from them again.

Because it's on the larger end of ukes I may take it into a shop to see what may need reinforcement/preventative work.

I deliberately wanted to check out what a narrow-nut guilele felt like after seeing feedback on Islander/Kanilea being too wide for some. Width at nut is about the same as Martin Mini (LX1, guitar).

The open-pore/satin, NOT gloss finish is very soothing.

UkerDanno
02-04-2019, 02:40 PM
Fender Zuma...saw it on Musicians Friend and thought they looked kind of cool...well, a couple days later they knocked off 33.3%.

Well, it's a concert size, plays and sounds fine, for what it is. Just not what I expected, it's a little too glossy and heavily built. The finish was advertised as "open pore" well, it's a very thick gloss. Nice uke though, if you like the look.