Electric Uke Help!

BigD

Reaction score
Hi everyone! This is my first official post besides the intro and im glad to be here. Ive been playing about 10 months and its been a great stress reliever/hobby but im looking to upgrade. My issue right now is im really on the lookout for a solid body electric ukulele along the lines of an eleuke. Well ive searched the site and talked to MIM and all i hear about are the main three, stagg, eleuke, and risa. Ive heard stagg has some QC issues and i just flat dont enjoy the look of the risa stick but i know eleuke is having some problems as well. Im in the 250-300 range money-wise so any suggestions are much appreciated!
Thank You!

Last edited:
That looks amazing but it is a little out of my price range right now :/ also id like to avoid steel strung, not for any specific reason just preference. I know im running low on options here and it really does seem like theres a bit of a hole in the market right now for what im looking for. I really had my heart set on eleuke it was about perfect for what i needed! Any other suggestions are appreciated!

I must have gotten one of the good ones, BigD. My Eleuke soprano is a joy to play. With it's 1/8" out it can even be played through a cheap set of amolified computer speakers and/or add a CD/MP3 player through the MP3 jack. It has good intonation and action. Although it has an active EQ, it still sounds thin through a P.A. or acoustic amplifier. That's easilly fixed with an active parametric EQ D.I. box. I've had mine for about three years without issues.

EleukeAmp.JPG

EleukeJacks.jpg

My Stagg tenor has similar qualities to my Eleuke soprano. I purchased it around the same time.

StaggUkeAmp.JPG

Buying online may be your only option, so search for dealers that QC and setup their instruments before sending them to you. I'm fortunate to live in an ukulele rich environment where you can play before you pay. Ric

Last edited:
Im to the point now where im going to have to see if anyone in the market place is interested in parting with a eleuke of their own. Hopefully ill find something soon!

How about an Ovation or Applause or a Kala Archtop ukulele? Theyre not "solid body electrics" but they are "semi acoustics" - which sort of gives you the best of both worlds.

You can still use them as a gentle sounding acoustic instrument, but they are known to sound fabulous plugged in. Less amplified feedback than regular acoustic electrics, but they won't handle a full on metal distortion tone as well as a solid body.

That distortion is a big part of what im looking for :/ i actually looked over the ovation and really thought about it decided it was just a bit to much as well. I actually never quite understood the difference between them was as well.

If your existing options are all you have, I highly recommend the Risa's.

I've owned a total of 6 Eleukes and 7 Risa's (as well as the Kala Archtop and the Ovation soprano electric)..

All the Risa's I've owned were fabulous, top notch instruments. Brilliant setup, parts and tone from amp and handle distortion really well.
Half the Eleukes I've owned turned out to be duds, with faulty parts. Overall, they are not built even close to the same quality standards as the Risa.

I will probably never buy an Eleuke again, but I will definitely get more Risa's into my collection in future.

If you don't like the look of the Risa sticks, they also have this version which is a bit more pleasing to look at:

https://www.ukulele.de/shop4/en/en-RISA-Uke-Ellie-Tenor
https://www.ukulele.de/shop4/en-RISA-Uke-Ellie-Soprano

Your choice, but Risa have always been instruments I can invest in and rely on it to be a pleasing instrument.
The Eleukes... always left a bit more to be desired.

I actually really like the looks of the risa ellies but im just in a situation where moneys an issue and i can use that extra 100 dollars for a new vox mini :/ thank you for the suggestion i dont know how i missed those ive searched all over for the style lol its pretty much come down to what im willing to spend. Ohh the decisions.....

I'm looking for a nice solid body myself and I've been looking at the Clearwater ones. I'm also seriously researching making my own, as many of the parts are readily available, as long as you are prepared to do a bit of DIY. There's certainly plenty of scope to get a cheap solid body and upgrade it with some nicer pickups, etc

Top Bottom