PDA

View Full Version : How do you get on "THE LIST"?

GASguy
03-31-2013, 05:42 AM
OK, about 3 years ago I just missed out on a Chuck Moore all koa, including the neck, tenor that was at the Music Emporium.

I was one of the 17 people that emailed Acoustic Music Works to try and reserve the used Chuck Moore tenor with geko inlay they recently sold.

Every time I look at his web site I see his wait list is full and he is not accepting orders.

For those of you who have a Chuck Moore or those who are on "THE LIST" how did you do it?

The Big Kahuna
03-31-2013, 05:49 AM
We have compromising photographs of Chuck with a hula girl and several gallons of Poi. Whenever someone wants to get on "the list", they pay $ 100 and we send them copies of the photographs.

Tigeralum2001
03-31-2013, 05:51 AM
OK, about 3 years ago I just missed out on a Chuck Moore all koa, including the neck, tenor that was at the Music Emporium.

I was one of the 17 people that emailed Acoustic Music Works to try and reserve the used Chuck Moore tenor with geko inlay they recently sold.

Every time I look at his web site I see his wait list is full and he is not accepting orders.

For those of you who have a Chuck Moore or those who are on "THE LIST" how did you do it?

When you figure that out, let us know. Many of us have been trying for quite some time.

Dan Uke
03-31-2013, 05:59 AM
I tried to offer him my favorite food in Hawaii...ZIPPYS!! It didn't work as he's a healthy eater....Chuck, I know you will eventually read this but there's a Zippys opening up on the Big Island! HAHAHA

hawaii 50
03-31-2013, 06:29 AM
send Chuck an email and he will put you on his waiting to get on his wait list,list..good luck

NewKid
03-31-2013, 07:13 AM
We have compromising photographs of Chuck with a hula girl and several gallons of Poi. Whenever someone wants to get on "the list", they pay $ 100 and we send them copies of the photographs.

Where do I send my $100?

wickedwahine11
03-31-2013, 07:15 AM
When you figure that out, let us know. Many of us have been trying for quite some time.

Ditto, I have wanted a Chuck Moore tenor for years and have never been able to get one. As you say the list is full, and they are never for sale.

NewKid
03-31-2013, 07:24 AM
The Impossible Dream

This is my quest
To get on Chuck's list
No matter how hopeless
No matter how far
To fight for the right
Without question or pause
To be willing to march into hell for a heavenly cause

And I know if I only be true
To this glorious quest
That my heart will be peaceful and calm
When I'm laid to my rest

And the world will be better for this
That one man, scorned and covered with scars
Still strove with his last ounce of courage
To reach, the unreachable Chuck!

I sing this every night. That's how I'm getting on the list.

Mahalo,

Don

Hippie Dribble
03-31-2013, 07:48 AM
The Impossible Dream

This is my quest
To get on Chuck's list
No matter how hopeless
No matter how far
To fight for the right
Without question or pause
To be willing to march into hell for a heavenly cause

And I know if I only be true
To this glorious quest
That my heart will be peaceful and calm
When I'm laid to my rest

And the world will be better for this
That one man, scorned and covered with scars
Still strove with his last ounce of courage
To reach, the unreachable Chuck!

I sing this every night. That's how I'm getting on the list.

Mahalo,

Don
LOLZ!!!! Most excellent mate!!!!

Ring him up and sing it down the line...swooning your way onto the list sounds as good a way as any Don. :cool:

BlackBearUkes
03-31-2013, 08:45 AM
You might try offering him say... a half a million dollars! He deserves it.

(Ok Chuck, I'll take 5% of that)!

NewKid
03-31-2013, 08:53 AM
If Chuck cared about money he could charge $10K+ per ukulele and there would still be a line. I mean a list.

ChaosToo
03-31-2013, 12:39 PM
I have 12 years before I plan to retire. And Hawaii is on the 'bucket list' for a holiday destination. I wonder if I should contact Chuck now to get myself on his waiting list?

mm stan
03-31-2013, 02:22 PM
There is a list to get on the list.....:)

NewKid
03-31-2013, 03:20 PM
Are you saying that I just sent The Big Kahuna $100 for nothing?

Let's start a UU list to get on the list to get on "THE LIST".

List to get on the list to get on THE LIST

GASGuy (since he asked first today)
NewKid (the singer)
The Big Kahuna (I don't see one on his list)
Tigeralum 2001 (even though he just got one!)
ChaosToo
Nongdam (who also just got a brand new one)
hawaii50 (Len don't you have one?)
wickedwahine11
eugene ukulele
mm stan (stan don't you have like 10 Moore Bettah's?)

Okay guys, we're all one step closer now!

Happy Easter,

Don

Dan Uke
03-31-2013, 03:23 PM
Are you saying that I just sent The Big Kahuna $100 for nothing?

Yes that was a waste but if you send me $200, I'll get you on a list :rolleyes:

mm stan
03-31-2013, 03:36 PM

Aloha Danny,
Was that the list for the list to the list??? :)

NewKid
03-31-2013, 03:37 PM

Which list? The list to get on THE LIST? or the one to get on the list to get on "THE LIST"? $200 sounds a little steep, but okay. Please get me on the list to get on "THE LIST" and bypass the list before that one.

Mahalo,

Don

hawaii 50
03-31-2013, 04:28 PM
Hey Don thanks for the wishful thinking..
but I am still on the waiting list to get on the wait list too..keeping my fingers and toes crossed..

maybe Stan will make a trade with me.. hehe

mds725
03-31-2013, 04:34 PM
I think the list is just for the preliminary interview.

Dan Uke
03-31-2013, 04:50 PM
I think the list is just for the preliminary interview.

That's right Mark...once you get to the preliminary interview, Chuck asks you one of those beauty pageant questions, "If you get a MBU, how can you make a world a better place" Miss South Carolina made it to the interview phase but failed to answer correctly so Chuck said NO SOUP FOR YOU!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww

soupking
03-31-2013, 04:54 PM
Any ukulele is out there for the taking. We've all seen it happen here. There is basically no uke that is impossible to get, no matter the maker- it just takes a little finesse. As far as getting a custom to your specs, that's gonna be a little tougher, obviously. I myself have been close, but alas it was not to be. Can't do anything but shake it off, do your research, and keep it movin'. No big deal. Luckily for me, after years and years and years, I've finally settled on a brand that I consider top notch, and one to where I've set my sights on. Good luck.

NewKid
03-31-2013, 06:53 PM
OMG Daniel, it sounds like South African and Asian people have a much better chance to get an MBU! Hey, aren't you Asian? And isn't eugene ukulele from South Africa? He keeps calling me mate...as such.

Mahalo,

Don

gringo
03-31-2013, 09:40 PM
Send in your video and wait. This little genius I'm sure will make the cut someday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErMWX--UJZ4

ChaosToo
03-31-2013, 11:49 PM
OMG Daniel, it sounds like South African and Asian people have a much better chance to get an MBU! Hey, aren't you Asian? And isn't eugene ukulele from South Africa? He keeps calling me mate...as such.

Mahalo,

Don

LOL - I reckon Eugene might be putting you straight on his geographical whereabouts at some point....... :D

NewKid
04-01-2013, 12:33 AM
LOL - I reckon Eugene might be putting you straight on his geographical whereabouts at some point....... :D

You were supposed to say, "Thank you, Ms. South Carolina." I know where Jon lives.

NewKid
04-01-2013, 12:55 AM
Yeah well mate, I have a list on my fridge, anyone who wants to get their name on it send me $500, no worries you'll be on the list.
If you want to get on mr moore's list I would expect that an expression of interest email would be a good start. He probably gets a few of them so you may not get an answer for a while, but if you are clear about what you want and it seems reasonable,who knows what might happen. While you are waiting check out the Internet and local word of mouth and you may find a local maker at the same stage mr Moore was five years ago who will make you a great uke, and you can visit personally and have a chance of being in on the start of something good.

Sorry mate, I already paid $100 for Big Kahuna's pictures and $200 to get on Nongdam's list. However, leave it to the Aussie to make the most sense on this thread. Thank you Bill1.

I'm working with a wonderful artist/luthier named Mike Pereira who does beautiful, affordable work and builds quickly and efficiently. Everyone who has dealt with Mike will tell you he is a top person. Please check him out at www.mpukuleles.com. He is the Chuck Moore of Shandon, California.

My other commission for the year is with Luis Feu de Mesquita at www.lfdmguitars.ca. He is an innovative guitar builder out of Canada just getting started in ukuleles over the last few years and a true delight to work with. Please listen to some of his instruments on line. UUers Laouik, Nuprin, Nongdam, and RichM all play a LFDM and rave about it.

Then there's Brian Griffin out in Washington who my buddy Patrick Madsen has been raving about at www.griffinukuleles.com. These three have the Aloha spirit and are people most will enjoy working with. Plus they create beautiful looking and sounding ukuleles.

Chuck is special, no doubt. But if you want a similar experience - working with an artist who is a remarkable human being as well, then Mike, Luis, and Brian are three great options.

Mahalo,

Don

Hippie Dribble
04-01-2013, 01:21 AM
if you want a similar experience - working with an artist who is a remarkable human being as well, then Mike, Luis, and Brian are three great options.

Well said Don and Bill. What Bill has advised is exactly what I have tried to do over the last few years. I have some other names to add to your brief list Don: David, Terry, Perry, John, Sven, Gerard, Russ, Duane. These are only people with whom I've had personal contact but there are a great many wonderful custom builders all over the planet. Sure we can talk about Moore Bettah, DeVine etc and revere and romanticise these instruments but I would encourage anyone who can afford a modest cost to seek out the many other fantastic builders around the worldwide uke community too, builders who will devote as much love and attention to their craft and will make you feel just as important...and, might I say, whose lists are considerably shorter. There is room at the table for everyone.
:cheers:

chrimess
04-01-2013, 01:25 AM
Don't you guys diss Ms SC, she almost knows 12 parts of the alfabett..
You were supposed to say, "Thank you, Ms. South Carolina." I know where Jon lives.

Dan Uke
04-01-2013, 10:01 AM
Sorry mate, I already paid $100 for Big Kahuna's pictures and $200 to get on Nongdam's list. However, leave it to the Aussie to make the most sense on this thread. Thank you Bill1.

I'm working with a wonderful artist/luthier named Mike Pereira who does beautiful, affordable work and builds quickly and efficiently. Everyone who has dealt with Mike will tell you he is a top person. Please check him out at www.mpukuleles.com. He is the Chuck Moore of Shandon, California.

My other commission for the year is with Luis Feu de Mesquita at www.lfdmguitars.ca. He is an innovative guitar builder out of Canada just getting started in ukuleles over the last few years and a true delight to work with. Please listen to some of his instruments on line. UUers Laouik, Nuprin, Nongdam, and RichM all play a LFDM and rave about it.

Then there's Brian Griffin out in Washington who my buddy Patrick Madsen has been raving about at www.griffinukuleles.com. These three have the Aloha spirit and are people most will enjoy working with. Plus they create beautiful looking and sounding ukuleles.

Chuck is special, no doubt. But if you want a similar experience - working with an artist who is a remarkable human being as well, then Mike, Luis, and Brian are three great options.

Mahalo,

Don

Well said Don and Bill. What Bill has advised is exactly what I have tried to do over the last few years. I have some other names to add to your brief list Don: David, Terry, Perry, John, Sven, Gerard, Russ, Duane. These are only people with whom I've had personal contact but there are a great many wonderful custom builders all over the planet. Sure we can talk about Moore Bettah, DeVine etc and revere and romanticise these instruments but I would encourage anyone who can afford a modest cost to seek out the many other fantastic builders around the worldwide uke community too, builders who will devote as much love and attention to their craft and will make you feel just as important...and, might I say, whose lists are considerably shorter. There is room at the table for everyone.
:cheers:

Rationalizing always makes me feel better too :p

J/K I agree with you guys that there are lots of great luthiers

GinnyT11
04-01-2013, 10:15 AM
Don't you guys diss Ms SC, she almost knows 12 parts of the alfabett..

A curious coda to Miss South Carolina: She hated that she'd done so poorly in the pageant, and she and her boyfriend entered—and won—The Amazing Race. It's a highly competitive around-the-world race where you have to be agile, forward thinking, and determined. She was the first woman to be in a winning pair in 15 races, and they won a million dollars.

keliiyama
04-01-2013, 10:19 AM
I think the best way to get on the list is to fly out to his shop on Big Island. I know artists who make various things and the best way on their lists is to actually spend time with them. Becoming friends usually can get you in, and nothings beats hanging out in person. Also I believe Chuck likes making his own ukes, so if your custom project idea lines up with what he wants to create, then you could get on the list. So in short I'm planning my trip this summer;)

MGM
04-01-2013, 11:19 AM
I always found out 100 bills work fine and ordering in person works great too. Just bring the 100's and keep pulling them out of your wallet till the maker says enough. Lol

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
04-01-2013, 11:26 AM
I'm flattered by all the efforts to get on my waiting list. But apparently everyone was off their computers yesterday as for the first time in a very long time I opened my custom build list for a short period of time. It is closed again now for the foreseeable future. For the dozens that got on, I look forward to working with you. For every one else I will probably do this again next year. And thank you for your patience as I try to make everyone happy.
Aloha!

costaricadave
04-01-2013, 11:32 AM
That list made me crazy! Glad I got on and off! Worth the wait!! Love mine!

Dan Uke
04-01-2013, 11:36 AM
I'm flattered by all the efforts to get on my waiting list. But apparently everyone was off their computers yesterday as for the first time in a very long time I opened my custom build list for a short period of time. It is closed again now for the foreseeable future. For the dozens that got on, I look forward to working with you. For every one else I will probably do this again next year. And thank you for your patience as I try to make everyone happy.
Aloha!

Man I missed it!! Was it open for 1 min, just like the amount of time it takes to sell your ukes. I deleted the notification message. HAHAHA

MGM
04-01-2013, 11:36 AM
So Chuck when can I fly over and try that 100 bill thing. Ha ha ha. Really I would. This afternoon or tomorrow will fit my schedule

keliiyama
04-01-2013, 11:49 AM
I was busy hanging with the famjam yesterday;) I'm still happy for those that got on the list. I'm looking forward to seeing some cool stuff coming from your shop Chuck. Now I have another 365 days of checking your site to find the next opening.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
04-01-2013, 12:11 PM
So Chuck when can I fly over and try that 100 bill thing. Ha ha ha. Really I would. This afternoon or tomorrow will fit my schedule

Come over Wednesday Mile. I won't have any ukes for you but we can got to the Merrie Monarch together.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
04-01-2013, 12:11 PM
I was busy hanging with the famjam yesterday;) I'm still happy for those that got on the list. I'm looking forward to seeing some cool stuff coming from your shop Chuck. Now I have another 365 days of checking your site to find the next opening.

Come on Keli'i, check the date. Sorry....... :(

mds725
04-01-2013, 12:13 PM
Man I missed it!! Was it open for 1 min, just like the amount of time it takes to sell your ukes. I deleted the notification message. HAHAHA

You already have a MB, don't you? In what kind of world do some people have more than one MB while others can't even get on the waiting list? Oh, the humanity!

Should I be noticing that Chuck posted about opening his waiting list on April 1?

Hippie Dribble
04-01-2013, 12:18 PM
Should I be noticing that Chuck posted about opening his waiting list on April 1?

^ dis guy smart :)

hawaii 50
04-01-2013, 12:36 PM
Hey Daniel gots me good! haha