Season 59 addendum poll on Time

Which direction would you travel in time?

• Backward in the Way-Back Machine

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • Forward in The Time Machine

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Sideways through the Wrinkle in Time

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GinnyT11

Reaction score
Season 59 is about time. Let's say you have your uke and extra strings and you can do one of three things, which would it be?

1. Get in Mr. Peabody's Way-Back Machine to go backward to any era you choose. Tell what it would be.

2. Get in H.G. Wells' Time Machine and go forward to anytime you choose. Tell what it would be.

3. Go sideways through Madeleine L'Engle's Wrinkle in Time, and let's say that you have three days there that will have no effect on the rest of your life. Tell us what you'd do...if you wish.

Last edited:
Forward for me (as polled above) the past is prologue. Besides, I want to hear some new albums by my favorite musicians who are still recording. I'd binge watch the rest of Game of Thrones and Person of Interest, but most of all, I'd go to visit my kids and grandkids and see how they're doing. I'd like to go far enough to see some of the things I won't be around to see otherwise.

I'd want to go WAY far ahead in time... Say 5000 years to the year 7013. The further forward one goes, the more different it would be, and I'm always one to enjoy different things.

I'd want to go WAY far ahead in time... Say 5000 years to the year 7013. The further forward one goes, the more different it would be, and I'm always one to enjoy different things.

Will we have flying cars THEN?

Is there an alternate time book for people who have read none of the above?

Is there an alternate time book for people who have read none of the above?

Mr. Peabody was a cartoon character: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mister_Peabody

The Time Machine was a pretty important 19th-century novel (made into a weird movie with Rod Taylor and Yvette Mimieux as one of the Eloi he falls in love with. Sorry, no CGI.)

Wrinkle in Time is a young adult novel.

Forward in time - a long time after I have died as I am curious to see how things work out.

Only speaking for me, Miriam, I would chose:
1. Time of Plato: I would like to tell him his censorship of music - and some other things he said - are not such "good ideas".
2. 2022: Celebration of the 10th anniversary of the season: Hey, we became older, but better players!
3. One day: Behaving really wild on stage /at a gig (I'm a bit shy); One day: Feeling pain and agony (for enjoying life even more afterwards, ok, maybe just half a day); one day: telling off the boss (quite ordinary, ok, I know..)

I chose the way back machine. In spite of making my living in tech, I've always felt that I was born about 100 years too late...

At the very least I'd go back far enough to stop my dad from selling back in the 30's or 40's that decent chunk of desolate, undeveloped beach front property south of LA... :( :biglaugh:

John

My favourite time travel story is "Behold the Man" by Michael Moorcock about an Aramaic scholar who goes back in time to meet Jesus. It's a superb tale, which I won't spoil by letting you know what happens.

TARDIS

I would prefer the Master's TARDIS to the Doctor's though as that one has a working chameleon circuit.

Trouble with time travel is that it is difficult to get the time and place correct.
If you get the time correct then the geography will be all wrong, and if you
wind up in the correct place then it most certainly will be at the wrong time.

I Think this was a concept for a Blackadder short Back and Forth

My thoughts change, so I haven't voted.

I think it would be amusing to play a uke to people in the past who might be cheered by it, say Hannibal crossing the Alps. But I'd need a battery-powered tuner.

I survived a life-threatening illness, so I'm not eager to fast-forward EXCEPT maybe to get to July and the final episodes of Breaking Bad!

I used to think that three days with no accountability would allow being a little decadent, but now I might like to pick a completely joyful time and have it last three days.

I was going to say, the best possible choice was not included...which for me would be in any direction I wanted.
Cue music

We can come back right, or is it a one-way trip?

I like the current time, so I would go sideways if coming back were not an option for the other two.

If coming back was an option, I would go forward about ten years, and ever practical figure out the most successful companies and technologies of the day, write down a lot of stuff from the latest business section, and come back and make a bunch of good investments. Boring, I know.

If coming back was an option, I would go forward about ten years, and ever practical figure out the most successful companies and technologies of the day, write down a lot of stuff from the latest business section, and come back and make a bunch of good investments. Boring, I know.

The movie Peggy Sue Got Married involved going back to high school. One guy knew that panty hose was going to be a big product, but no one believed him—it seemed so weird.
My favorite line was Kathleen Turner walking out of her algebra class: "I know for a fact I will never use this, so I don't need to be here."

I survived a life-threatening illness, so I'm not eager to fast-forward EXCEPT maybe to get to July and the final episodes of Breaking Bad!

It's too bad this is the last season. I got into the show late, but have seen all of the seasons. Living in Albuquerque, it is neat to see our city (even though it isn't the best of images). They even have a trolly tour that goes around to the different areas where they film.

I voted to go back. Why John? Where? When? Well, I am a big fan of Route 66 and I have always loved the sense of adventure it invoked in me. Since the creation of I-40 and the by-passing of most of the Mother Road in 1984, 66 is not what she used to be in her glory days. So, I would go back to just a few years after the end of WWII and tour Route 66 from Chicago to the Santa Monica Pier. It was the heyday when families went on vacation road trips, touring up and down the highway, visiting all the cheesy attractions, like snake pits, road side museums and mom & pop diners. Don't forget the newest in family accommodations, the motor court. What a blast that would be to witness and really appreciate that amazing piece of Americana before it became a blur in the window beside I-40. Radiator Springs would rise again.

I voted to go back. Why John? Where? When? Well, I am a big fan of Route 66 and I have always loved the sense of adventure it invoked in me. Since the creation of I-40 and the by-passing of most of the Mother Road in 1984, 66 is not what she used to be in her glory days. So, I would go back to just a few years after the end of WWII and tour Route 66 from Chicago to the Santa Monica Pier.
It was the heyday when families went on vacation road trips, touring up and down the highway, visiting all the cheesy attractions, like snake pits, road side museums and mom & pop diners. Don't forget the newest in family accommodations, the motor court. What a blast that would be to witness and really appreciate that amazing piece of Americana before it became a blur in the window beside I-40. Radiator Springs would rise again.

I've traveled that way because we moved a lot when I was young. We'd sleep in a motor court cottage (3 kids in one bed), then be put asleep in the car at 4 am so my dad could get "a good couple hours' driving" (at 50 mph) before breakfast. A stop at an alligator farm or The Blue Hole was a treat because there wasn't much else to do. Back in those days, a family could make a living (albeit a thin one) with a souvenir shop for some natural attraction.

Top Bottom