Ukulele Types w/ Music Genre

banjo ukes = traditional folk, bluegrass, clawhammer

baritone/reso ukes = blues, jazz

tenor = classical, fingerstyle melodies

soprano/concert = tin pan alley, ragtime, vaudeville, trad. Hawaiian

This is just a real simplistic view. Really, I think the uke is the instrument that, more than any other, is adaptable to any genre from any era. I reckon you can play any style of music on any kind of uke and it'll sound great. :shaka:

And these guys illustrate that everything from sopranino up through tenor works pretty well for rock!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pWKYIFcl_M

BTW, this is the first I've heard of these guys. Looks like they follow a similar format to UOGB but without being quite such a blatant rip off or attempt to confuse as that other bunch of UOGB imitators out of the UK.

John

Surely the beauty of any instrument is that you can play anything you want on it? IMHO, the uke is no different - it just calls for a different interpretation of the song........

I feel like the KoAloha Scepter is the greatest rocker out there.

I agree with Eugene Uke's last statement. You can use any size with any genre. It's a matter if adapting your style.

I use a soprano to accompany traditional folk. He has a point about banjo uke but then George Formby came from the Music Hall tradition.

Most of the fun of playing uke for me is figuring out how to get songs I like (from any and all genres) to sound good played on my ukulele. How to best play a punk song (or a reggae song, a pop song, a country song etc.) on the uke is not always obvious, but I've found that with a little patience and an open mind (and ears), any great song can sound great on the uke.

The best uke for any genre? It's most likely the uke you're most comfortable playing that day.

Top Bottom