ADF#B Tuning

brUKEman

Reaction score
I have a soprano & concert uke that I would like to tune up to ADF#B tuning. I tried it and it works but the strings seem a little tight. Is there a better type or length of string which would make the ukes more playable in that tuning. I like to play up the neck and it is a little difficult.

Try a lighter gauge like Worth CL, or ask Dirk from Southcoast to make a recommendation for a lower tension string.

Southcoast XLE is what I use for that tuning on soprano

I use living waters on a soprano and subjectively, the tension seems no greater than with gCEA tuning on a concert.

D'Addario J65 nylon strings are designed to be tuned to ADF#B. They feel just right tuned to those pitches on a couple of my soprano ukes.

I tried it and it works but the strings seem a little tight. Is there a better type or length of string which would make the ukes more playable in that tuning. I like to play up the neck and it is a little difficult.
What strings are you currently using?

Aquila makes a set for sopranos, not sure if they have one for concert. I use them on some 50's Harmony ukes I have and they sound and play pretty good.

whichever are your favourite strings, just tune them up to D tuning. I have never had a problem. When I last did workshops in Canada, I tuned my tenor up and down several times. No trouble at all.

If you look at someone like James Hill, who plays on stage several times every week, and in D tuning. When he jams with us ordinary mortals, he will usually be in C tuning and on the same uke.

Top Bottom