Dovetail Joint "Cock Up"

Timbuck

Reaction score
The last batch of 10 necks I made .. all had the same fault .."Neck angle out of line" giving an action at the 12th at about 3/8":mad:..(I must concentrate more:() ...So i had to correct them all by hand without the aid of jigs and machinery this meant having to shave about .070" off the heel with the chisel....The good side is is that I can now confidently re-set a dovetail joint neck angle by hand in 20 minutes.:)

*Edit* I later traced the error down to a shim/packing strip that had come unstuck and gone missing on one of the jigs:wallbash:

Last edited:
I just made 2 right hand sides for the latest pineapple soprano.......laminated from padauk veneers, so couldn't rebend.
fortunately had enough wood to do a mark 2.

Unknowingly lost a shim while broaching parts in a machine shop some years back. Lucky, though, it caused the keyway I was cutting into the part to be undersized - the parts were easily rerun and ended up somewhere near the mean of the tolerance.

Unknowingly lost a shim while broaching parts in a machine shop some years back. Lucky, though, it caused the keyway I was cutting into the part to be undersized - the parts were easily rerun and ended up somewhere near the mean of the tolerance.
You reminded me of the time when I was an apprentice..working on a large broaching machine where we had to broach a square hole in cast steel hinges for "Coke Oven Doors", starting off with an 1.5" dia hole going up to a 1.625" X 2" rectangle hole..it was a two apprentice job..took about four broaches gallons of cutting fluid and a load of shims to complete...One Lad missed out a broach shim one day and the next size up broke into two peices :(....it was about 5-6 foot long and cost a fortune to replace co's it was purpose made for the job...Luckly I wasn't working on that job that day...co's they got the biggest Bollocking of their lives from the Foreman:uhoh:

Broaching Machine
broacher_zpsb860d8aa.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom