An acoustic amp that is up for the job?

TheUkulelePanda

Reaction score
I have recently began playing with a band again, only this time our singer knows everybody in the area who may want a band, whether they do or not.

Anyway, I need an amp that can be used in locations such as pubs, and in too much short notice, on stage.

I have been looking at this bad boy:
http://www.musicradar.com/gear/guit.../acoustic-amps/60w-acoustic-guitar-amp-572532

Are there any other alternatives that I can consider? Unfortunately, my budget may only extend up to £200.

Thanks a lot!

This one is new. The Fender Passport Mini. http://www.fender.com/series/passport/passport-mini/
My local store had 25 of these, and I got the last one. Sold out in one week. I have been happy with mine so far, great size and price, sounds great, and can be customized through your computer. I also liked the Roland Cube Street, larger, a little fuller sound maybe, but more expensive (no USB computer input). For my needs, it needed to be small and lightweight, so the Passport Mini won. The computer input and customization is also a big plus for me.
–Lori

My two bobs worth is that you don't need a amplifier at all. What you need is a DI (direct input) box/setup and then go straight into the house PA just like another microphone input. Cheaper AND better sound.

Anthony

Thanks a lot to everyone who replied. All of you are a massive help!

The general idea is to get a PA system? It is a lot cheaper, but it seems like a tad more effort. I'll look into a PA as I am looking into something I can plug a mic into also.

A PA system for 200 pounds is just plainly unrealistic. We cant give you advise based on such requirements. I thought you were working with other musicians in a band and in such case its best to plug into the available PA. If you want your own PA then you need to lift your budget substantially.

A good budget PA would be a Behringer Europort EPA300 and while its a good value system you need to increase your budget.

Anthony

Last edited:
A compromise between amp and PA for a solo performer is the Marshall AS50D.

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/marshall-as50d-acoustic-combo-amp

Jack input for instrument and XLR for mic on separate channels. There's also input for a backing track player. If the onboard 50w isn't enough, there are jack line and XLR DI outputs for feeds to a PA mixer.

Been gigging mine for years and I love it.

Little over budget, but I can't fault my Roland AC33

I have a Laney LA35. At 35W perfectly adequate for smaller venues but has a "DI out" socket for plugging into house PA should you need access to more oomph.

Has inputs for mic and instruments, chorus and reverb, adjustable LF feedback filter and 4 band EQ. The DI out is just a tap off the main amp but will probably be OK into a "line in" on a house PA should you want that. I plugged it through a separate DI box and ran an XLR lead from the DI box to the house PA. worked well.

The amp itself can be tilted back so it can be used as stage monitor or stood upright.

Checking with Google they retail at about £180 GB which is about what I paid for mine in a local guitar shop who had recommended it, so within your budget. Laney are a UK based company as well.

I highly recommend the Roland Street Cube. Not only is it portable and loud, but it has inputs for both instrument and mic, effects for both, and it runs off either AC or DC. Mine has gone up to 10 hours of use on just 6 AA batteries, and it's LOUD for a little amp. Can't go wrong with it.

Top Bottom