PDA

View Full Version : People SUCK!

deach
12-20-2008, 05:17 AM
Well not all people, but a lot of them do.

I got several PMs today regarding my offering of a ukulele to a member here. The PMs reminded me that some people suck and will try to take advantage of my generous nature. I appreciate everyone's concern for me. I think you guys are right that I am too trusting and people might be trying to use me.

Here's the thing though. I believe in Karma. Karma has been very very good to me and I am just trying to return the favor. If someone is trying to hoodwink me, I'm not going to spend any energy trying to find that out. I'll let Mama Karma deal with them. She has bigger steel-toed boots than I do. She takes care of me and will take care of them.

Thanks again to the ones looking out for me. And a big F.U. to those who are trying to take advantage of me.

Jimmy
12-20-2008, 05:23 AM
I know I'd like to take advantage of Deach ;)

It's widely agreed people suck. It's fair enough to want something, but trying to cheat someone who is very kindly offering gifts is really fly. I wish I was like Deach, but honestly I'm not half as warm-hearted. You keep doing your thing!

haole
12-20-2008, 05:27 AM
No good Deach goes unpunished. :confused:

upskydowncloud
12-20-2008, 05:28 AM
Sadly a lot of people try to take advantage of kindness. It's happened to my parents a lot over the past few years. Despite that they are still very kind which is admirable. Unfortunately it's made me a bit more the opposite. I'm very wary about helping people now which is not very good. I'm pleased to see there are more people like you willing to help others out. Keep it up and don't let the bastards get you down.

Regster
12-20-2008, 05:55 AM
tsk tsk that's just sad, that's why alot of good people turn bad in this world. But don't let em get you your deachness.

sukie
12-20-2008, 06:00 AM
Walking in blind here -- as usual, but I do not like to hear that deach is unhappy.

I believe in karma also. That's what keeps me going sometimes.

deach, you are a very generous man. I don't understand why but bottom line is that it really isn't any of my business. Keep trusting people. I am a cynic of utmost proportions. Trust me, you don't want to be like me. Keep doing what you want to do and f**k 'em if they don't like it. I think you're fabulous!

BTWriter
12-20-2008, 06:11 AM
I don't know what's happened here specifically, but I have noticed lots of people not-so-subtly fishing to get deached. It's the nature of any generous action, sadly. I think it's probably a contributing factor toward so few people doing generous things.

It certainly would annoy the hell out of me. I wouldn't blame you if you quit doing it altogether.

russ_buss
12-20-2008, 06:14 AM
don't let them get you down deach. most people on these forums are rad! yes, rad.

I know I'd like to take advantage of Deach ;)

lolz! been there, done that. in hindsight, i've had better.

deach
12-20-2008, 06:15 AM
To sum it up -

Thanks - to those who are looking out for my best interest.

Eat "the stuff the makes flowers grow" - to those who are trying to get free stuff under false pretenses.

NatalieS
12-20-2008, 06:17 AM
There are some bad people out there, period. You'll see them at the grocery, in class, on vacation, and yes... even on the UU forum. Try not to let them get you down, Deach. Eventually they'll get theirs..... (as Ralphie in "The Christmas Story" would say ;) )

GrumpyOldMan
12-20-2008, 06:55 AM
The only thing you get to keep is what you give away. (Francis Dunnery).

Jimmy
12-20-2008, 06:57 AM
lolz! been there, done that. in hindsight, i've had better.

You have spoiled my holiday season ;_;

I like how you're pretty calm with this Deach, I would not be so cool. I should probably carry around a bracelet that says "WWDD?"

benmealer
12-20-2008, 07:00 AM
Don't worry, Fortuna's wheel will run them over... People will always spend their time trying to figure a way to get over.

Dominator
12-20-2008, 07:00 AM
Deach, I have know inside knowledge of your specific situation but just keep doing what you do best as I know it comes from the heart. I know you are sharp enough to read between the lines and spot those fraudulent propositions. I've experienced a little of some similar types of this sort of activity myself.

And, oh yes, I've been a beliver in and recipient of the virtues of our good friend Ms. Karma for as long as I can remember.

freedive135
12-20-2008, 07:07 AM
Gimmie gimmie gimme to bad that is the mind set of some of the less noble folk in this world.

On the other side of the coin, the other day while wearing my "Deach" shirt someone asked me about it.
I explained what kind of guy he was and they ask me "Why does he do it?"
I had to say "Why does Santa?"

Keep it up Deach!!!!
If I find'em I'll sick my Dogma on'em!!!!

hoosierhiver
12-20-2008, 07:32 AM
Having been burnt myself in the past,I've come around to this conclusion.Do what you feel is right,if people take advantage of you it doesn't diminish your selfless act.

Consider yourself a conduit of a higher power.You give others the opportunity to recieve a gift coming from love and you are given the opportunity to let that higher power shine thru you.Even if that person is scamming you,they have given you an opportunity to do a good deed.

benmealer
12-20-2008, 07:40 AM
Having been burnt myself in the past,I've come around to this conclusion.Do what you feel is right,if people take advantage of you it doesn't diminish your selfless act.

Consider yourself a conduit of a higher power.You give others the opportunity to recieve a gift coming from love and you are given the opportunity to let that higher power shine thru you.Even if that person is scamming you,they have given you an opportunity to do a good deed.

I like this one

experimentjon
12-20-2008, 08:15 AM
Well, Deach, keep building those points up with Mama Karma, and one day, maybe...just maybe, she'll be REALLY REALLY nice to you. ;)

Kawika_san
12-20-2008, 09:43 AM
Deach - Some people are low-down brother, no doubt about it. Don't let them change your aloha spirit! They are probably living a bitter life as a result of their conniving lifestyle. The best revenge is a happy life.

puremarkska
12-20-2008, 09:45 AM
Here's the thing though. I believe in Karma. Karma has been very very good to me and I am just trying to return the favor. If someone is trying to hoodwink me, I'm not going to spend any energy trying to find that out. I'll let Mama Karma deal with them. She has bigger steel-toed boots than I do. She takes care of me and will take care of them.

Thanks again to the ones looking out for me. And a big F.U. to those who are trying to take advantage of me.

You have posted some great stuff in the past, Deach, but this post is among greatest.

therimidalv
12-20-2008, 10:46 AM
I just want to say I am completely on board with you Deach. It is a sad world that kind people have to worry that they are just being used, it truly is, but like you said and so many others have also, your deed was true and honest and will be paid back with such. Keep doing what you do, and the thank you's of the people who you've given to will outnumber those trying to steal from you ten fold.

krabbers
12-20-2008, 11:01 AM
i am very much into karma and it has worked for me, in many ways, i did a few stupid things when i was younger, but about ten years ago i had a my name is earl moment and put things right. and things turned around.

what goes around comes around

keep yer chins up deach

rogue_wave
12-20-2008, 01:30 PM
This site, this forum, and the people who contribute have made a huge impact on me over the past month or so. My playing is miles better (and that is still not saying a lot)

I expect to be musically inspired by people who play better than I do. What I did not expect was the overall generosity of some of the people here. The free lessons, the tips, encouragement and of course this mysterious "Deach".

I don't know what the specifics are, but can venture a guess. I too have spotted the shameless plugging for a freebie. Don't let them win. If it means anything, I was inspired to give 3 ukuleles away for Christmas this year. They were nothing spectacular, but I put some decent strings on them, let them settle so the recipient would have something that would stay in tune and sound better. This for sure pushed my own 2nd uke acquisition down the road, but I feel great about it. I was totally inspired by both Deach and RussBuss and hope you don't change the way you walk in the world. Thanks.

Fred Miu
12-20-2008, 02:11 PM
i hope i am on the list that doesnt suck, right?

i know you are kind and i really disagree what the people that want to take advantage of you are doing.

hope things get better for you brah.

Plainsong
12-20-2008, 02:20 PM
While trying to convey how horrible we'd all feel if Deach celebrated his post count by leaving, somehow it all backfired, and the meaning was taken as the exact opposite. There was no chance to explain, the wagons circled, the worst conclusion jumped to, and I was/am not one of the cool kids, and persona non grata.

But the point is, that the cool kids felt so strongly about Deach and so protective because they care about him so much. I was trying hard to make sure Deach would know how bad we'd feel if he left... because me and everyone else cares about him so much.

Do you see the bigger picture? Deach has earned that affection because he is who he is. Of course people are going to take advantage of it. Either they haven't been on the forums long, or rather, maybe they just look out for number one. Whatever the reason, Deach is a big boy, and I hope he's able to keep doing what he wants.

And who knows? Maybe his random acts of kindness can change a scammer for the better. (yeah, ok, wishful thinking, but it happens)

Kanaka916
12-20-2008, 03:23 PM
^Good to have you back . . . how are things goin?

Plainsong
12-20-2008, 03:44 PM
I have the flue, but in ukulele terms, things could not be any better unless Jake was practicing here in my living room. But it's 4am, so maybe not. ;)

dnewton2
12-20-2008, 04:42 PM
Deach I love you man! really I do. I love everythning you repersent. But I have to disagree with this post. A lot of people suck? I don't know what to say, maybe I am naive but I really try and see the best in people. I think you do too, and mayube I am out of place with what I am saying but for the most part I think people do not suck. So I hope you keep doing what you do for whatever reason you do it. I will smile when I hear about your good doings.

JKoval
12-20-2008, 04:50 PM
Well not all people, but a lot of them do.

I got several PMs today regarding my offering of a ukulele to a member here. The PMs reminded me that some people suck and will try to take advantage of my generous nature. I appreciate everyone's concern for me. I think you guys are right that I am too trusting and people might be trying to use me.

Man... I hope this isn't directed to me. Karma doesn't love or hate us, it's who we are and what we do. For me to trick a man I've never met, whose generousity precedes himself, is unheard of, in my book. People do suck. Keep on truckin. <3

-Jeff

RON<>VA
12-20-2008, 04:52 PM
Mama Karma, Brother Jesus and us UU folks got your back, Deach!

BTWriter
12-20-2008, 04:53 PM

Well, now I feel like a negative nancy. I bow to hoosierhiver's wisdomous words. Well said, good sir.

dnewton2
12-20-2008, 05:02 PM
People do suck.

I will disagree with you till the end. I am sorry anyone feels this way.

You don't suck.

JKoval
12-20-2008, 05:09 PM
I will disagree with you till the end. I am sorry anyone feels this way.

You don't suck.

I'd like to think there's still good in people. I try to make otheres think that way too. <3

-Jeff

ricdoug
12-20-2008, 05:35 PM
I go along with not worrying about it and let the cards fall where they land. When the giving is from the heart, it matters not what happens on the receiving end. I've lost count of the ukuleles and other musical things I've given away. Today I gave two to the mother (Susan plays ukulele and dances hula at local kanikapilas) of an injured soldier (US Army). She spends a lot of her off time at the Naval Hospital in San Diego, sharing aloha with "Wounded Warriors" (that's what the hospital calls the service men and women section for those injured on the battlefield). Susan's been going around looking for ukes and currently has four students in the hospital. She got two more from others. I'm working with local musicians on partnering with Tiffany, who won a Black Makala we donated for the Carlsbad Chamber of Commerce Sundowner raffle, to get ukuleles and musicians out teaching the Wounded Warriors how to play and share the aloha. Many of these military men and women's families do not have the means to visit their sons and daughters in the hospitals, so we are part of their surrogate ohana. We (Ukulele Society of America) donate two ukuleles every month to the Chamber and will also be donating to the Wounded Warriors. Tiffany was the perfect recipient of one of the ukuleles, to facilitate this the right way. Check out her website:

http://www.resoundingjoyinc.org/pages/astaff.shtml

Once we get the Wounded Warriors/Resounding Joy partnership going, I'll let it be known where to donate ukuleles/funds. Resounding Joy Inc. is a 501C3 public benefit non-profit organization and we're working on bringing the ukulele into their therapy work.

Here's Tiffany receiving her uke at the last Sundowner:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Ukulele533.jpg

The next Sundowner will be in January:

http://www.carlsbad.org/products/productList.aspx?uid=27-92

Any locals in the Southern California area that want to network, just show up and tell them at the door you are with the Ukulele Society of America and it will only cost you $5 bucks for the party, instead of the $20 buck general admission:

http://www.carlsbad.org/DirectoryDetails.aspx?mid=16999

JKoval
12-20-2008, 05:40 PM
As soon as I have some money saved up... I'm going to pay it forward (deach's generousity, which is currently helping me). I'll probably use some of my christmas present "money" (gift cards, etc.) to buy musical gift donations. <3

-Jeff

UkEdman90
12-20-2008, 05:40 PM
aw man im sorry that u had to create this thread man! truly am! Believe it or not i actually brought your name up at the dinner table one night saying how i wanted 2 be like you! Giving away Happiness with strings! Seriously im actually trying 2 follow in your footsteps man! SERIOUSLY but w/out the sarcasm! haha! I just recently gave away my first uke to my little cousin who was in dire need a good hobby. something that could take him away and just relax and express himself. It really feels good to give that away! REALLY DOES! but here's the deal let me break you posting subject down a little bit:

People Suck!
people= modern day, spiritually and musically inclined manipulative individuals
Suck= who take advantage of thoze in search of a better cause by any means necessary!

with that said remeber DEACH! all of us at UU are a tight knit community and WE ROCK! matter of fact i think we all should buy an island, name it Uke Land and strum away!

JKoval
12-20-2008, 05:45 PM
aw man im sorry that u had to create this thread man! truly am! Believe it or not i actually brought your name up at the dinner table one night saying how i wanted 2 be like you! Giving away Happiness with strings! Seriously im actually trying 2 follow in your footsteps man! SERIOUSLY but w/out the sarcasm! haha! I just recently gave away my first uke to my little cousin who was in dire need a good hobby. something that could take him away and just relax and express himself. It really feels good to give that away! REALLY DOES! but here's the deal let me break you posting subject down a little bit:

People Suck!
people= modern day, spiritually and musically inclined manipulative individuals
Suck= who take advantage of thoze in search of a better cause by any means necessary!

with that said remeber DEACH! all of us at UU are a tight knit community and WE ROCK! matter of fact i think we all should buy an island, name it Uke Land and strum away!

I think the best part is... is that we're tight knit, but always looking to spread the love. <3

-Jeff

JTY
12-20-2008, 07:40 PM
Good on ya Deach, thats the way, never mind the bitter people and just stay positive. shaka brah! :cool:

deach
12-21-2008, 12:08 AM
To everyone who took the time to post and send me PMs, thank you and a big THANK YOU to those of you who help people in need, whether you're giving them something tangible or just lifting their spirits.

HumbleSounds
12-21-2008, 01:37 AM
Deach, my brother! Thank you for being you. Your doing such a fine job. :D I see you man, being a servant to the family, sharing the love. Stepping out into the world sharing your music, your sense of humor. It is a pleasure to be a witness to it :biglaugh:

People can suck.... no doubt. I am sorry you experienced some form of ugliness. But, you can't run from the laws of the universe. You reap what you sow. Its best to invest energy sowing seeds that bear nourishing fruits. Fruits that provide the flavors that you savor.

I am diggin the flavors your working with brah, think I'll call you funky spice. ;)

a hui hou

upskydowncloud
12-21-2008, 02:28 AM
Can we all have a uke please now Deach?

Nurdaben
12-21-2008, 07:25 AM
wow looks like i missed something big. hope everthing worked itself out.

JKoval
12-21-2008, 07:32 AM
wow looks like i missed something big. hope everthing worked itself out.

I guess a few "needy" posts appeared a few nights ago and I guess a few of them seemed as just a way to get a free ukulele. I feel like a douche cause I was offered one (grateful to it, though) because of a post I created that didn't intend on asking. Regardless, Deach made his statement... and I think there's a general knowledge about WHO was actually fabricating a story... (you can tell by the writing). <3

-Jeff

Plainsong
12-21-2008, 08:15 AM
Well I haven't been Internet Detective enough to find the story, and someone like that isn't worth knowing. Scamming and Ukulele don't go together, but then again it is The Internet. Some leave their ethics in a little jar before entering.

But I say Deach is a big boy, and he probably sees 'em coming. A great philosopher once said, mean people suck.

UkEdman90
12-21-2008, 08:25 PM
But I say Deach is a big boy, and he probably sees 'em coming. A great philosopher once said, mean people suck.

word bro! WORD! :worship:

DeG
12-21-2008, 08:52 PM
And a big F.U. to those who are trying to take advantage of me.

I guess I don't know what happened to prompt this thread, but let me state that I would only take advantage of you if we both were pretty drunk, and you were looking all Red and Deachy. Even then, I would feel bad about it for a awhile...:D

Cheer up, dude. No sense in wasting emotional energy on it...

deach
12-21-2008, 11:57 PM
I guess I don't know what happened to prompt this thread, but let me state that I would only take advantage of you if we both were pretty drunk, and you were looking all Red and Deachy. Even then, I would feel bad about it for a awhile...:D

So......when are we getting drunk?

SamWise
12-22-2008, 03:36 AM
Deach, I can't work out WHAT has happened here, but just rest assured that most people don't suck (I almost typed that moist people don't suck!). Keep on being the man, Deach.

HaileISela
12-22-2008, 04:07 AM
Hey deach, you know, music is an international language, knowing no borders, no colors, no races or anything like that, and whoever shares music does something good and noble (well as long as it's not music that is meant to be bad...). As a famous German poet once said in a song: "Where music is been sung, there sit down, because mean people do not know any good songs" (or something like that^^)

You are a wonderful person, your gift to the world is something worth to keep.

so from the deepest bottom of my heart: JAH bless you for what you are, well actually HIM already blessed you. Don't let Babylon get you down! Chant/Strum down Babylon and keep being what you are: a friend for everyone who's worth to be friend with!

NukeDOC
12-22-2008, 06:34 AM
wow. im taken aback by this thread. in a time that has been honored as a time of giving, which should be everyday anyway, something like this is happening? im disgusted.

deach. i know what youve done for one of my band mates. i cant say right now what im talking about. but we have come so far since we formed up. now we are preparing for probably our biggest show to date. i just wanted to let you know that if we can get our other tasks put together, your generosity will be honored. and im sure you will approve.

pebbleInDaPacific
12-22-2008, 06:59 AM

What's your address Deach? I'll send you some Henny. :nana: Santa needs a drink sometime! sound's like nows the perfect time eh?

Renaissance-Man
12-22-2008, 07:51 AM
Please pardon me, as I haven't read all of the replies to this thread. I only read the original post, and perhaps the first few subsequent posts. I don't know how the conversation has since evolved, and my post may be off-target.

Yes, people can "suck", but that's the chance you're willing take to be a giving person. Your generosity isn't diminished in any way by the actions of others. Let it go.

nikolo727
12-22-2008, 07:38 PM
ok just throwing this out here.

if you have ever suspected me of wanting to be deached you are right,(who would'nt) but I would never accept anything from deach, REASON BEING, I, personally, have no need. There are others, who need/want ukes more than I do, so now I am content. :)

well, i wouldnt say no to a couple of plaintains from deach but thats just me. :p

nikolo727
12-22-2008, 07:40 PM

Indeed, I think we should have a large online party here on UU. Everyone grab a webcam, turn it on and everyone party by themselves in front of the camera. well most of the partying would involve just a beer and talking, but it would still be cool. lol.

dont worry i would only drink a soda.

:p

BboyEmperor
12-22-2008, 07:48 PM
Let me go get a can...
of 7up.

nikolo727
12-22-2008, 07:50 PM
horrah for minors.

hurr...meh.

jjsdad
12-22-2008, 08:42 PM
Deach, I just want to say that you have inspired my creative juices to write some songs about you. I only recorded one of them (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7632), but I actually wrote two more several weeks ago. I was not going to post them, but then I thought it might make you feel better, so here they are:

Silence Deach
(sung to the tune of Silent Night)

Silence Deach, Be quiet Deach,
Please, I say, stay away.
From the forums with your insults.
I don't want to see you in my search results.
I cannot make posts in bad taste.
Because you will slap me in the face.

And:

Intro: F---C7---F---C7

He's a Deach, He's a Deach, He's a Deach!
(sung to the tune of Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow!)

F C7 F
Oh he looks very mean and frightful,
F Abdim C7
And he's just a little spiteful,
Gm D7 Gm
He's just beyond your arms reach.
C7 F
He's a Deach, He's a Deach, He's a Deach

F C7 F
He makes you feel good or bad.
F Abdim C7
Depending on if he's mad.
Gm D7 Gm
But you don't know which it is...
C7 F
He's a Deach, He's a Deach, He's a Deach.

C
He leaves the place in a big mess,
Dm G7 C
But he can be very generous
C
He might give you a Uke.
D7 G7 C7
Or he might make you puke

F C7 F
We're almost done with our tribute.
F Abdim C7
We want to give a salute
Gm D7 Gm
To the weirdest man we know
C7 F
C7 F

Uh... I hope I've made you feel better and not worse.

(BTW, I am quite happy with what I have, 4 ukes, 3 guitars, 2 pianos, (but my bird died, so I don't have a parakeet in one papaya tree) , so I am *not* hinting about getting "Deached".)

deach
12-23-2008, 12:34 AM
Thanks Jeremy. I like the product of your juices.

Rubbertoe
12-23-2008, 12:28 PM
Wow, I've been away from the UU forum for a little while and this is an amazing (and somewhat amazingly sad) thread. It reminds me of a story from about 10-15 years ago when a lady sent Stan Lee (Mr. Marvel Comics) a letter written by her 3 (or was it 5)-year old son to Spiderman asking Spidey for his autograph for his birthday. Stan Lee (being similar in generosity to Deach but not quite hitting the mark set by his royal Deachiness, Deach) sent him a book signed by Spidey, himself, and the current Spidey artists and writers. After that, there was a virtual tsunami of comic-book collectors writing-in, pretending to be kids. It's sad when generosity is scented-out by sewer rats and other vermin preying on the goodness of others.
I'm glad that this in no way stops Deach from being Deach and hopefully we will all try to Deach it forward a little more often (especially in the spirit of the Holidays and the spirit of Aloha). Now, time to start my Christmas shopping. I hope someone Deaches me a parking spot at the mall. o_O

leaveit2jane
12-23-2008, 02:11 PM
Deach you're loved a lot and you're a big ole inspiration here and I'm sure about everywhere you sprinkle your energy. I'm sure your generosity is NEVER a mistake. However misplaced any of it may have seemed at one time, I'm sure good will somehow come of it.

uke142464
12-29-2008, 04:21 PM
seriously people, come off him.....

...he's mine...
:D deachy