FS: Kanilea Custom Tenor

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilipT

Reaction score
Up for sale is my Kanilea Custom Tenor Ukulele. Beautiful Koa all around, great playability, big voice, wonderful tone. This is a well cared for used instrument in great condition. Although this was a Custom instrument built in 2001, according to the fine folks at Kanile'a the closest model comparison in their current line would be the K-3 Tenor (list price $1,975.)

Here is some info on this Uke:

Size: Tenor
Model #: Custom
Lot #: K0801
Back/Sides/Top: Curly Koa
Saddle: Black Water Buffalo Horn
Nut: Black Water Buffalo Horn
Bridge: Koa
Fretboard: Koa
Neck: Mahogany
Headtock Overlay: Koa
Bindings: Ivoroid Body Binding, b/w Purfling top and back
Rosette: Koa
Tuners: Gotoh Geared
Case: Lightweight Hardshell
Condition: Excellent
Build Date: August 2001

A fabulous tenor uke from one of Hawaii's finest builders! A joy to play with lots of projection. If you are looking for a quality Koa tenor, hard to go wrong with this one.

There are no structural issues with this ukulele, and cosmetically it is in overall excellent used condition. In the spirit of full disclosure there are a couple things to point out, just so there are no surprises. Both are minor finish issues. First, there is some very light finish checking across the top of the koa back. And I do mean light! The kind you have to search for and hold at just the right angle to see. I took some pictures with angled lighting to provide a representative look of what I am talking about (3rd and 4th picture in my Photobucket folder referenced below.) The second item is a small, shallow cross-grain finish line found on the treble side waist. Completely in the finish, and it has been properly sealed and touched up to be almost unnoticeable (see 2nd picture in Photobucket folder.)

ANOTHER PRICE DROP: $895 (Shipped, Insured, Paypal)

Take a good look at the pictures and please feel free to ask any questions you might have. Here is a link to my Photobucket Folder for this uke with lots more pictures: http://s72.photobucket.com/user/guitars52/library/Kanilea%20Custom%20Tenor%20Ukulele?page=1

My first item for sale here but have sold lots of instruments on other forums (Acoustic Guitar Forum, The Gear Page, Collings Forum) and on eBay, (Username: $phlow), with many happy buyers! Thanks for looking. Phil

P1040012.jpgP1010198.jpgP1010193.jpgP1010202.jpgP1010217.jpg

Last edited:
That from the days when they made the label with crayons, then scanned them on an 8 bit computer and printed them on an Etch A Sketch ?

Fairly new here, but certainly not to the world of fine acoustic instruments. Must say these are three of the strangest first comments I've ever seen on any forum where I have sold something! Not sure what the hardly played, played hardly banter is about. And Mr. Kahuna as to finish cracking on a 12 year old instrument, not that uncommon at all. Age isn't the only, or really even primary, condition for a thin finish to crack. I've owned a guitar and seen others that were close to new that had finish cracks from weather condition exposure.

This is a great uke with a fair, honest description and well documented photos. Look forward to hopefully giving it a new home soon, and thanks to those who have already submitted offers through private messages. Will reply right away.

Good luck with the sale. It appears to be a nice uke to me. I wouldn't worry about the comments made by others.

Nice uke--I have no idea why anyone is questioning this ad--there's more than enough info, and as far as I can tell you have followed all of the rules for selling

I'm pretty sure Big Kahuna wasn't referring to cracks in the finish. Seeing as he hails from England, I assume he meant cracking in the British sense of the word as in 'really good' condition.

That from the days when they made the label with crayons, then scanned them on an 8 bit computer and printed them on an Etch A Sketch ?

I have a Kanile'a custom for sale from 2004, and I have the same label. Yes, it looks amateur-ish compared to modern standards, but I can validate it is authentic.

By the way, great condition and great price, this should move fast.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Big Kahuna wasn't referring to cracks in the finish. Seeing as he hails from England, I assume he meant cracking in the British sense of the word as in 'really good' condition.

This ^^

As in "cracking toast, Gromit". No sleight, suspicion of authenticity or criticism intended, it's a lovely Uke at what would appear to be a decent price.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/cracking

crack·ing (krkng)

n.
Thermal decomposition, sometimes with catalysis, of a complex substance, especially the breaking of petroleum molecules into shorter molecules to extract low-boiling fractions such as gasoline.

adj.
Excellent; great: had a cracking time at the dance.

adv.
Used as an intensive: a cracking good show.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

This ^^

As in "cracking toast, Gromit". No sleight, suspicion of authenticity or criticism intended, it's a lovely Uke at what would appear to be a decent price.

Thanks Big Kahuna, totally missed that meaning. Appreciate your kind words. Phil

Heh, heh. I think George Bernard Shaw probably put it best..."two peoples separated by a common language" :)

And...back on topic...I really wish my budget would stretch to this right now because it looks like a really good deal and I've started developing this nagging obsession with having a really nice tenor even though I still don't think of myself as a tenor player. Ahh, I love the smell of UAS in the morning.

John

Oh, no, John, there might be more wrong with you than just UAS today- you quoting GBS...

BTW: this uke was built by Joe Souza himself, in case it was not mentioned yet

Heh, heh. I think George Bernard Shaw probably put it best..."two peoples separated by a common language" :)

And...back on topic...I really wish my budget would stretch to this right now because it looks like a really good deal and I've started developing this nagging obsession with having a really nice tenor even though I still don't think of myself as a tenor player. Ahh, I love the smell of UAS in the morning.

John

Last edited:
Reduced Price. Killer deal for someone! Thanks, Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom