PDA

View Full Version : Collings Ukuele

tomthebaptist
04-02-2013, 01:34 PM
I see a fair number of Collings Ukuleles up for sale..... not a great many, but enough to cause me to wonder why. Earlier in the year I considered buying one - still open to it if I can get my hands on one to try out. Do they live up to the hype? Just wondering.

soupking
04-02-2013, 01:47 PM
For a little perspective into what you've brought up, I have a Collings UC-1 that I would characterize as the perfect ukulele. Also, I'm considering selling it. Haha. I can't even really give a good reason as to why, outside of it's my only concert scale uke. However, I think they they absolutely live up to the hype. Keep in mind that it's probably just coincidence that they're all popping up at once- that happens quite often with various brands. My problem is I keep buying new stuff and am forced to let stuff go; I'd venture to bet that I am not alone in that regard. If you've been pining for one, I wholeheartedly recommend them, but you better pick one out quick because word on the street (here, haha) is they're set to drastically decrease production on the ukuleles.

saltytri
04-02-2013, 01:49 PM
My koa tenor is a delight. It is well-balanced and light, easily playable, impeccably crafted, and makes very nice sounds. I'd say that "hype" isn't the right word, as it implies exaggeration.

Leigh Coates
04-02-2013, 01:52 PM
I have one. It's a concert mahogany with a gloss finish. When I got it, I was surprised how light it was physically, and how bell-like the sound was. I like it a lot. In the right hands, it's a real thing of beauty.

My thoughts are that they are like little classical guitars, only they are ukuleles. That might not appeal to some people. They are also expensive. Maybe some people get them and then find they want to liberate that money and try something else.

I'm keeping mine though. I love it.

Hippie Dribble
04-02-2013, 02:02 PM
My koa tenor is a delight. It is well-balanced and light, easily playable, impeccably crafted, and makes very nice sounds. I'd say that "hype" isn't the right word, as it implies exaggeration.
I agree. No hype about Collings ukes. Having owned several I firmly believe these ukuleles deserve all the plaudits they attract. Light, well balanced, exemplary construction, incredible playability, rich, sweet tones, perfect finish, sustain for days.

If I could only have one uke it'd be a Collings or one of mr saltytri's ukes which are a very close second :worship:

As to the number being resold...I don't think it means anything re quality, it's just natural attrition as people buy and try and move them on, just because they enjoy the thrill of having a new uke arrive. And I confess, I'm another one of those folks like Matt above...maybe the best sounding concert I ever played was a Collings UC2 that I also resold....arrrrggghhh!!! Note that there's also heaps of 2nd hand Mya-Moe's for sale, DaSilva's, Black Bear's - there's even been 1/2 dozen Moore Bettah's been let go in the last few months.

I don't believe you would regret buying a Collings uke for a second Tom.

specialk13
04-02-2013, 07:03 PM
Collings makes nice ukes and they are as close to "perfect" as any uke I've seen. That being said I also haven't kept any of the ones I've owned. I think I've found them to be so perfect that they get a little sterile sounding to my ears and other brands just have more character for me. They're also a bit stiff when new so given some time they will probably open up quite nicely.
The bottom line is that if you want a beautifully built uke then this is definitely a good brand to take a look at.

coolkayaker1
04-03-2013, 01:45 AM
I had two Collings tenors UT 1 s. they were superb. Lightweight and well built, with a sound like a songbird. They are as good as most custom ukuleles.

Why they use cheap feeling and looking Peghed plastic tuners on such fine, high end instruments, I can't fathom. With Gotoh Planetaries and high end Gotoh Deluxe frictions functioning so well, and looking like a gazillion bucks at $60 a set, I think this might change.

Notice I said "had"... I sold them both. Why...I can't quite grasp. Honestly, I don't know why. It just felt like the thing to do.

RichM
04-03-2013, 01:51 AM
Why they use cheap feeling and looking Peghed plastic tuners on such fine, high end instruments, I can't fathom. With Gotoh Planetaries and high end Gotoh Deluxe frictions functioning so well, and looking like a gazillion bucks at $60 a set, I think this might change.

This isn't the first time I've seen Pegheds referred to as plastic, which is a mystery to me. Love them or hate them, that doesn't concern me. But they are made of metal, not plastic. The only part that's plastic is the button, just like 80% of all tuners made.

grendel1972
04-03-2013, 03:14 AM
This isn't the first time I've seen Pegheds referred to as plastic, which is a mystery to me. Love them or hate them, that doesn't concern me. But they are made of metal, not plastic. The only part that's plastic is the button, just like 80% of all tuners made.

My guess is that they use the pedheds because they are light as a feather compared to others and add to the overall balance (which is exemplary). Whatever Collings is doing, they should keep doing it. They're making incredible instruments. I too sold my koa tenor, the reason being I wanted to try something new and I knew the Collings was going to get me the most in the resale market. I do miss that instrument though...

Mandarb
04-03-2013, 05:43 AM
there's even been 1/2 dozen Moore Bettah's been let go in the last few months.

Really? I only know of a couple that have been sold and that is when some members put out feelers asking if somebody was willing to sell.

Sorry - back to the topic....Collings Ukes.

Dan Uke
04-03-2013, 06:40 AM
I too think it is coincidence. I had a Collings UT-1 and it was the best made production uke I've tried. The sound wasn't for me as it is too lightly built so it has that hollow sound in my opinion and I am not into drop tuning it to give it warmth. I sold it to someone in my uke group and when I hear him play it, it sounds really good and there is another player that has it as well. Maybe I needed a soundport. HAHAHA However, I was curious with Specialk13's cuz it had a spruce top but that thing sold quickly.

BTW, they have a new Collings UT-1 at McCabes in Santa Monica if someone is looking for one.

David Newton
04-03-2013, 07:03 AM
Just a correction, Pegheds have no metal in them, they are fiber reinforced plastic, inside and out.
Collings used Pegheds when they were the best thing out there. You watch, Collings will migrate to the Gotoh planetary tuners soon.

coolkayaker1
04-03-2013, 07:25 AM

Rich, I have seen you write that before, but I think David Newton is right--at least to my thinking. Plastic.

Gotoh PLanetaries are amazing for looks, and cost and are not plastic.

specialk13
04-03-2013, 07:42 AM
On the Pegheds, I think the barrel that is pressed into the headstock is aluminum but the knob is plastic (or wood).

The spruce topped Collings are much more appealing to me (although a bit like a guitar in sound) and I think with time they will sound really good. I'm relating this to their guitars which seem to take a long tiome to break in before they start to really open up.

RichM
04-03-2013, 07:46 AM
Rich, I have seen you write that before, but I think David Newton is right--at least to my thinking. Plastic.

If I am wrong about the Pegheds, I will stand corrected. My understanding was that the shafts were made of aluminum. I don't currently have a uke with Pegheds to confirm (although I should by Friday!), and I can't find much info on the web confirming or denying (except Ukeeku's original Peghed review which lists the shaft material as "metal"). What is the source of the shafts and gears being made of plastic?

Edit to add: I contacted Pegheds to get a materials list so we can settle this once and for all. Will post once received.

Bradford
04-03-2013, 08:35 AM
You are not wrong Rich. The body is aluminum, the knob is usually plastic, although wood knobs are available and judging by the way my rare earth magnet just stuck to one, the gears are steel.

Brad

laundromatt
04-03-2013, 08:48 AM
I have one. It's awesome. I know everyone says this, but they are put together so well. More importantly, they sound great (at least to me). Very clear, bell-like tones.

As for why people sell them - it's most likely because they know they can get at least a certain amount for them, and that it'll sell relatively quickly. If you're trying to get some money together to fund another purchase, pay rent, etc., you're likely to sell something that you know will sell quick and for close to what you paid for it. I'm kinda in that situation myself, so I've been thinking about selling mine (anyone interested?). Though, if/when I do, I'll probably regret it. :)

WhenDogsSing
04-03-2013, 08:52 AM
I had two that I sold but I've ended up with a UT-3 custom tangerine burst that's a real sweetheart. It's my "gold standard" for comparing other instruments.

RichM
04-03-2013, 09:03 AM
You are not wrong Rich. The body is aluminum, the knob is usually plastic, although wood knobs are available and judging by the way my rare earth magnet just stuck to one, the gears are steel.

Brad

Assuming I hear back from Pegheds, I will be happy to post the exact composition.

RichM
04-03-2013, 10:48 AM
Just a correction, Pegheds have no metal in them, they are fiber reinforced plastic, inside and out.
Collings used Pegheds when they were the best thing out there. You watch, Collings will migrate to the Gotoh planetary tuners soon.

Here is the response I received from Chuck Herin at Pegheds. I think this should settle things once and for all. I would respectfully request that folks stop spreading misinformation about this product. I don't have any particular attachment to this product-- it just bugs me when misinformation is continuously spread as fact, when the facts are readily available. It can't be plastic "to your thinking"--- it either is or isn't.

From Chuck Herin:

String post. Hard coat anodized aluminum.

Body Hard coat anodized aluminum helical ring gear.
Input shaft and gears heat treated alloy steel helical gears
Grip is either plastic or wood depending on the model.

Every part (except certain grips) made in USA.

David Newton
04-03-2013, 10:55 AM
So sorry to be spouting what I thought were facts, wrongly.
I wonder if there are "knock off" pegheds? The ones I looked at didn't seem to be metal at all.

hawaii 50
04-03-2013, 10:58 AM
I would be glad to know if there is any metal in Pegheds. I haven't taken one apart, I spoke just from looking at them as I was installing them.

Chuck Moore took one apart to see how they worked..and says he never put it back together again

csibona
04-03-2013, 11:45 AM
I played a Collings at the Denver Ukulele Festival - it was one of the best sounding ukulele I've played.

Dan Uke
04-03-2013, 12:22 PM
I would respectfully request that folks stop spreading misinformation about this product.

I'm a plethora of misinformation as I get most of my information from UU!!

I quote many people who heard or read or thought something was true. LOL

It's funny as you ask people which "insert two brands" and people are giving opinions when they have not played both or worse, haven't played either one. I'm guilty of that too. :(

Tim Mullins
04-03-2013, 12:42 PM
I've got a Collings UC-1 that sounds great and is beautifully made. Everything is first-class, the woods, tuners and case are very cool. That said, since I got my 60's 14-fret Martin tenor, the Collings has been in the closet. People change, which may explain why so many good ukuleles (not just Collings ukes) wind up back for sale.

Eyeguy
04-03-2013, 02:26 PM
Tim,

I have pondered acquiring a Collings tenor, but to this point I have resisted for two reasons:

1. I owned a Collings guitar that was spectacular in aesthetics and build quality, but played tight and didn't wow me tonally. Could have just been mine, and uke could be totally different, but first impressions are often lasting ones, right or not

2. I have a vintage 30's all mahogany Martin guitar that has tone and craftsmanship in spades, and I have to believe that a well cared for vintage Martin tenor uke would exhibit the same qualities.

Have you played any mahogany tenor ukes that held a candle to your Martins?

Nickie
04-03-2013, 04:22 PM
Do you guys thank that maygbe people just get impatient, dont give the instrument time to open up, and think it never will, so they sell it? Then they hear it played later on, and have seller's remorse?
Is there a possiblbity that an istrument could be built so well they can't make it give them that tinny soprano classis Hawaiin sound? Especially frfom a tenor size...

coolkayaker1
04-03-2013, 06:28 PM
Hi, Rich. Thanks for checking. There's no spreading of misinformation deliberately. And there's no spreading at all--this is UU--it's a Forum, not a textbook or treatise.

I have my Mya Moe right here next to me, and the Pegheds look like cheap plastic. No two ways about it. So, to my thinking, I have never seen a better facsimile of plastic done in metal in my entire life.

Pegheds, in my opinion, suck. They're too long, and when I fret certain chords on the first fret, my hand hit's them. I know, I know, they come in many lengths. All I know is the Pegheds used on my 2012 Mya Moe, and on my former 2 x Collings, are too long.

The Gotoh Planetary tuners--and I have no relationship with Gotoh whatsoever--are smooth, elegant, all metal (yes, even the tuner knob, from what I can see--if it is plastic, they sure have made it look like metal (unlike Peghed))--and are $60/set (Pegheds, I believe, are more). They are shorter, lightweight (I can't tell the weight difference between they and Pegheds once they are installed on the headstock, which is where it counts) and are like a precision derailleur on a racing bicycle. I strongly encourage everyone to try them.

Tim Mullins
04-03-2013, 07:05 PM
Tim,

I have pondered acquiring a Collings tenor, but to this point I have resisted for two reasons:

1. I owned a Collings guitar that was spectacular in aesthetics and build quality, but played tight and didn't wow me tonally. Could have just been mine, and uke could be totally different, but first impressions are often lasting ones, right or not

2. I have a vintage 30's all mahogany Martin guitar that has tone and craftsmanship in spades, and I have to believe that a well cared for vintage Martin tenor uke would exhibit the same qualities.

Have you played any mahogany tenor ukes that held a candle to your Martins?

Hi Eyeguy,

My experience with mahogany tenors is limited to my Martins, but I also have mahogany concert and soprano Martins and they are hard to beat!

Best,

Dan Uke
04-03-2013, 08:08 PM
All I know is the Pegheds used on my 2012 Mya Moe, and on my former 2 x Collings, are too long.

Yes I bought one of the Collings and they had Edward Scissorhand length and didn't look too good. I did have another uke with the shorter pegheds looked much better.

I would love to try the new Gotohs in the future.

iDavid
04-03-2013, 08:54 PM
I had a Collings Concert Uke and much prefered my KoAloha. My KoAloha is a darker Koa and has a warmer sound than others I've played. (and own). It might be becuse of the wood, or the fact that I've played it so much. Either way, the Collings didn't have the wow of the KoAloha. The Collings was built really well and I prefered the look of the Collings over the KoAloha.

stevepetergal
04-04-2013, 03:33 AM
I see a fair number of Collings Ukuleles up for sale..... not a great many, but enough to cause me to wonder why. Earlier in the year I considered buying one - still open to it if I can get my hands on one to try out. Do they live up to the hype? Just wondering.

Funny thing, I remember someone asking the same question last year about Mya-moe ukuleles for sale. It just happens. You'll notice there are always lots of used Martins for sale and no one asks this question.

RichM
04-04-2013, 03:41 AM
I think there are many reasons that good ukuleles come up for sales, including:

1. Cash is needed, and high-dollar ukes generate more cash than low-dollar ones. It's tax time here in the US, so sometimes ukes need to become cash.

2. Uke collectors have nothing but good ukes, so when they choose to sell something, it's going to be something good.

3. Uke collectors have more ukes than they can play, and eventually sell off some stuff because they can't move in their homes.

4. Corollary to Number 3: Their husbands/wives/other family members gently suggest they do so.

5. Some folks like to taste test, and having tasted, are ready to move it on. Not everybody chooses a long-term relationship with an instrument. Some of us are just dating.

6. Especially with expensive instruments, buyers expect a perfect match; failing that match, they may choose to just pass it on. I have owned two ukes that most would consider Grail Ukes, but for whatever reason, they didn't resonate with me, so I moved them on (to buyers who adore them). You never know what's going to float someone's boat.

I used to have a Collings UC-2. It was a wonderful uke, and I enjoyed having it, but I don't have it any more. I think I would still like to own a UT-1 at some point; the combination of mahogany and simple appointments create a price-to-quality ratio that I think is very attractive.

guitarsnrotts
04-04-2013, 03:41 AM
Played a mahogany concert at my local Collings dealer. A great ukulele and worth the hype although for the money I'd probably go with an Hawaiian K-brand. The dealer said that Collings is going to fill their current backlog of uke orders and re-evauate staying in the ukulele business. He said they're thinking of concentrating on electric and acoustic guitars but demand may dictate where they go as far as returning to making ukuleles.

grendel1972
04-04-2013, 07:29 AM
I had a Collings Concert Uke and much prefered my KoAloha. My KoAloha is a darker Koa and has a warmer sound than others I've played. (and own). It might be becuse of the wood, or the fact that I've played it so much. Either way, the Collings didn't have the wow of the KoAloha. The Collings was built really well and I prefered the look of the Collings over the KoAloha.

It's funny you say that: I had the exact opposite experience with a KoAloha and Collings tenor. The KoAloha was a very good instrument, but when I got the Collings, it was a jaw dropping experience. So easy to play, it was like I was cheating. Tone was incredible, sustain for days, and without the head-heaviness that the KoAloha had. All just my opinions of course, and your mileage has obviously varied. Difference in taste just means that there are great second hand ukes available for everyone!

Dan Uke
04-04-2013, 07:31 AM
It's funny you say that: I had the exact opposite experience with a KoAloha and Collings tenor. The KoAloha was a very good instrument, but when I got the Collings, it was a jaw dropping experience. So easy to play, it was like I was cheating. Tone was incredible, sustain for days, and without the head-heaviness that the KoAloha had. All just my opinions of course, and your mileage has obviously varied. Difference in taste just means that there are great second hand ukes available for everyone!

Is that the one you sold?

Hippie Dribble
04-04-2013, 07:59 AM
4. Corollary to Number 3: Their husbands/wives/other family members gently suggest they do so.

ha ha Rich...your wife and my wife need to get together. :biglaugh:

RichM
04-04-2013, 08:04 AM
ha ha Rich...your wife and my wife need to get together. :biglaugh:

Your wife sings like an angel. Tell her you need to keep all your ukes so can accompany her. :)

grendel1972
04-04-2013, 09:13 AM
Is that the one you sold?

Yes, it is (I also sold the KoAloha within a week of getting the Collings!). When I sold the Collings, I fell into Rich's category 1, 3 and 4.

I've bought and sold a fair number of ukes (nothing like some folks here!) and that Collings is the only one I may regret. Of course, I'm waiting on a Compass Rose at the moment, so hopefully that will ease the longing somewhat. :)

RichM
04-04-2013, 09:42 AM
Yes, it is (I also sold the KoAloha within a week of getting the Collings!). When I sold the Collings, I fell into Rich's category 1, 3 and 4.

Oh, I think I need to trademark this. RichM's Hierarchy of Ukulele Retention & Dispersion (tm).

Dan Uke
04-04-2013, 10:11 AM
Oh, I think I need to trademark this. RichM's Hierarchy of Ukulele Retention & Dispersion (tm).

Make it a sticky however I have to disagree with #4. Sometimes it's not gentle suggestion but a smack in the head :wallbash:

tomthebaptist
04-04-2013, 02:49 PM
It looks like the consensus is that Collings ukuleles do live up to the hype. A UT-1 will be arriving at local dealer in May. I put a down payment on it, and if it lives up to expectations, I will put my Loprinzi Tenor up for sale to make room for it. This is tough because I really like the Loprinzi,. So, it will have to be a major step up. If anyone interested in a Loprinzi Tenor, it may go up for sale, soon.

I've enjoyed reading all the replies. As to the PegHead Tuners, never had experience with them.

Markr1
04-04-2013, 04:06 PM
I think you'll be happy with your choice. I really like mine, All 3 of them and the pegheads work perfectly on them very easy to tune and I think the pegheads look good on them.
It looks like the consensus is that Collings ukuleles do live up to the hype. A UT-1 will be arriving at local dealer in May. I put a down payment on it, and if it lives up to expectations, I will put my Loprinzi Tenor up for sale to make room for it. This is tough because I really like the Loprinzi,. So, it will have to be a major step up. If anyone interested in a Loprinzi Tenor, it may go up for sale, soon.

I've enjoyed reading all the replies. As to the PegHead Tuners, never had experience with them.

Leigh Coates
04-05-2013, 04:31 AM
I have to agree. I didn't realize some people don't like the pegheads. I think they are the cat's pyjamas!

grendel1972
04-05-2013, 05:38 AM
I have to agree. I didn't realize some people don't like the pegheads. I think they are the cat's pyjamas!

I never had an issue with the pegheds, but I have the Gotoh planetary tuners on my new Ono baritone (this one (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?75083-The-Cherry-Bari&p=1202464#post1202464)), and they totally blow away the pegheds. I know both are 4:1, but the Gotoh's feel smoother and more precise. They do add some weight over the pegheds, but not much compared to other options, and I think they look great too.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
04-05-2013, 05:56 AM
Great thread. Interesting to read about different takes on what constitutes a "great" uke and a few takes on why great ukes get sold.

I've been lucky to play a few Collings ukes at local shops (attention Portland uke lovers---Portland Music Company has a mahogany tenor on display if you'd like to give it a strum) and every one has sounded terrific. A very different sound and feel from nice, koa Hawaiian ukuleles---not sure how to describe it---very different. I don't know if I'd recommend Collings ukes to everyone, but I'd definitely recommend that everyone play one at some point in order to hear that unique, lovely sound.

davidrboy
04-05-2013, 06:32 AM
I've been lucky to play a few Collings ukes at local shops (attention Portland uke lovers---Portland Music Company has a mahogany tenor on display if you'd like to give it a strum) and every one has sounded terrific.

Which location? Sounds like a good activity for a rainy weekend.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
04-05-2013, 07:04 AM
Which location? Sounds like a good activity for a rainy weekend.

NE Broadway and 20-something-th. They've also become a Kamaka dealer---have fun comparing!

davidrboy
04-05-2013, 10:53 AM
NE Broadway and 20-something-th. They've also become a Kamaka dealer---have fun comparing!

Good. That one is closest to my house. Thanks for the heads-up.

dkcrown
04-05-2013, 12:38 PM
OK, I guess it's time that I chimed in. I have owned five different Collings ukuleles and currently have one. Like most ukes, either high end or high production, they can vary greatly sound wise, but not with build quality. They have IMO, the best build quality of any limited production ukulele on the market.

They do take some time to open up and reach their full potential, and it can be hard to ultimately predict just how well each one will sound.

I do like the pegheads on them and don't find them "cheap feeling" in any way. Collings ukuleles have fantastic balance and the pegheads are a big part of it. However, I am looking forward to trying out the new planetary Gotohs on a future uke, and am glad they are getting glowing reviews so far.

iDavid
04-06-2013, 11:59 PM

Maybe I should have tried a Collings Tenor. The KoAloha Tenor is a bit top-heavy. My KoAloha Concert seems warmer than most.

misterbee
04-07-2013, 06:30 PM
I bought that UT-1, and am very happy with it. First tenor I played that I really enjoyed playing. I recently put Living Waters on it, and am very happy with the tone. Playability and intonation is first-rate, IMO. If there is a better tenor than a Collings out there, it would have to be a custom.

I too think it is coincidence. I had a Collings UT-1 and it was the best made production uke I've tried. The sound wasn't for me as it is too lightly built so it has that hollow sound in my opinion and I am not into drop tuning it to give it warmth. I sold it to someone in my uke group and when I hear him play it, it sounds really good and there is another player that has it as well. Maybe I needed a soundport. HAHAHA However, I was curious with Specialk13's cuz it had a spruce top but that thing sold quickly.

BTW, they have a new Collings UT-1 at McCabes in Santa Monica if someone is looking for one.

Sundown Jim
04-09-2013, 02:46 PM
I'm blessed with an outstanding custom koa abalone encrusted Collings. It is exquisite. Perfect fit and finish. It has a sweet and delicate sound to it. All my tenors have a uniqueness to them. On instruments I apply the house on fire and desert island tests. If my house was on fire and I could only retrieve one uke it would be the Collings (I might need to sell it to buy food!). If I was going to be stranded on a desert island and I could only take one uke I would take the Pono. It's mellow sound appeals to me most of all. The plain Jane Kamaka is loud. It's construction is plain and almost primitive but it is a fine uke. If I am playing all acoustic and need to compete with other instruments. The Kamaka is the one. The Honu has fit and finish every bit as fine as the Collings. It does not have a very loud voice. it looks great and is fine if I want to plug in. The Kolohe is a sturdily built uke that sounds and plays nice. I would take it on a picnic.
One replier had it pegged. Buying more expensive instruments is a case of diminishing returns. For each additional $100 or $1,000 you spend you get less and less. It may be worth it to you or you might just be wasting your money. Only you can decide that. Need I talk about the baritones? I love the Favillas. Nice feel and sound. I had a Martin baritone, and as much as I like Martins, I like the Favillas much more. The Gibson is a nice sounding and playing baritone. Once again, I prefer it over the Martin.

wendellfiddler
04-09-2013, 04:04 PM
I have two Collings tenors. A sunburst UT2 that I put Gotoh planetary tuners on and a UT2K. Pegheds are nice. Gotohs are nicer, albeit heavier - but not as heavy as internal or external regular geared tuners. The UT2 (mahogany) is brighter, the Koa uke is warmer, darker. Both great instruments and worth every penny relative to others in their price ranges. I got the UT2 used. That helps.

Duk

blue_knight_usa
04-09-2013, 04:50 PM
I have a UC3K and as of early this year there were only 22 ever made. If the production numbers are right, that's only about 5-6 per year they said (first came out in 2009). Thus in 20 years, there would only be 100 that were made if they continue to make that model at that pace. Seems the UC3K is very rare for what they produce but the sound is incredible on mine. Light as a feather and it will never be sold until I die and my daughter or wife put it on Ebay! ;-)

I had two Collings tenors UT 1 s. they were superb. Lightweight and well built, with a sound like a songbird. They are as good as most custom ukuleles.

Notice I said "had"... I sold them both. Why...I can't quite grasp. Honestly, I don't know why. It just felt like the thing to do.

Hippie Dribble
04-09-2013, 09:26 PM
I had two Collings tenors UT 1 s. they were superb. Lightweight and well built, with a sound like a songbird. They are much better than most custom ukuleles

[...]

there, fixed it for you Steve :p

Dan Uke
04-10-2013, 11:08 AM
I bought that UT-1, and am very happy with it. First tenor I played that I really enjoyed playing. I recently put Living Waters on it, and am very happy with the tone. Playability and intonation is first-rate, IMO. If there is a better tenor than a Collings out there, it would have to be a custom.

The last two tenors I've played at McCabes have gone to UU members. Cool

tomthebaptist
04-10-2013, 02:18 PM
I finally got my chance to play a Collings UT-2. I'm glad I didn't put money down first. First of all, the build and craftsmanship, as expected, perfect. The sound and set up of this particular uke isn't for me. But let me qualify, it was set up with a low wound G. To me, the tone was muddy. Also, the action was high and hard to play. I will have to wait another week or so to try the UT-1 and UC-1. Both of those will be set up for reentrant tuning using Worth strings (the specs of strings are on Collings webb site). After playing them, I'm sure I will make a decision on one or the other. Also, I didn't particularly like the feel of the neck. The thin neck of the Loprinzi has spoiled me. Please don't think that I'm bashing the instrument. I'm not. This particular model just isn't for me. I'm sure it will wind up being someone's holy grail. But for now, I'll keep my Loprinzi A-CT and Pono ATD. The ATD is strung with Savarez with a low unwound G. I honestly didn't think the Collings had anything over the Pono or Loprinzi except for about $1000.00. If the UT-2 is representative of the UT-1, I will definitely pass on the UT-1.

Dan Uke
04-13-2013, 02:56 PM
There's a few K brands for sale..is that coincidence?

NewKid
04-13-2013, 03:10 PM
My experience with my Collings UT2-K was that it took about 6-8 months to open up and then it became sweet and spectacular. However, at the beginning my Kiwaya concert was much better sounding. I just kept playing the Collings and didn't even notice that the sound had improved so much because the change was gradual. Then one day while playing with my uke club, my buddy commented that the Collings was sounding really rich and loud and then I realized that it had changed. I had a great time with the Collings and now another UU member is enjoying it.

Markr1
04-13-2013, 03:31 PM
Yes it sounds great and I'm loving it. I've been going back and forth the past 2 weeks with the mahogany collings and the Koa and I must say I really like the UT-1s but the Ut-2k from you is sweet.
My experience with my Collings UT2-K was that it took about 6-8 months to open up and then it became sweet and spectacular. However, at the beginning my Kiwaya concert was much better sounding. I just kept playing the Collings and didn't even notice that the sound had improved so much because the change was gradual. Then one day while playing with my uke club, my buddy commented that the Collings was sounding really rich and loud and then I realized that it had changed. I had a great time with the Collings and now another UU member is enjoying it.

Mxyzptik
04-13-2013, 03:38 PM
I am in the market and briefly played a Collings at one of our local shops. It was a tenor with what appeared to be a Spruce top but I never paid attention to the model, I'll find out when the shop opens Monday. . Can someone please explain their numbering system to me. The website wasn't as much help as I'd hoped.

OOPS, never mind, I just looked again and the website is actually just fine. Not sure what I was looking at the first time.

grownupboy
04-14-2013, 04:39 PM
was digging around collings website tonight and i noticed that all collings ukes now come with:

"Collings deluxe hardshell case by Ameritage"

not sure when that happened - i just picked up a new (made in february 2013) collings concert uke and it came with the same GWW case as my tenor.

anyone see one of these new ameritage uke cases? what are they like?

k

specialk13
04-14-2013, 05:32 PM
Ameritage makes the OEM Collings case you have if you own a Collings uke......

was digging around collings website tonight and i noticed that all collings ukes now come with:

"Collings deluxe hardshell case by Ameritage"

not sure when that happened - i just picked up a new (made in february 2013) collings concert uke and it came with the same CWW case as my tenor.

anyone see one of these new ameritage uke cases? what are they like?

k

grownupboy
04-14-2013, 06:36 PM
hi specialk --

i own 2 collings ukes and both (the older tenor and the brand new concert) cases are labelled as as GWW made in costa rica. seems that GWW manufactures cases for ameritage but the current uke cases are not branded as ameritage.

looked like the statement that they're using ameritage cases was a new one and implied there would be some change.

k

Telperion
04-15-2013, 04:00 AM
My Collings, purchased in February, has the GWW case. I can't imagine that Collings is actually switching to the more expensive Ameritage line of cases, especially when they are said to be scaling back ukulele production due to less than favorable profit margins. I think Collings must just be loosely using the Ameritage name, meaning that their cases are made by the same folk. That said, I wish they would change their case design. The Collings branded cases are way too tight and compact for my taste. They look nice, but are somewhat less than functional, with very little storage space and very little cushioning.

Oh, and I have a couple of Ameritage cases, and they also say GWW - Costa Rica.

-Steve

specialk13
04-15-2013, 04:10 AM
And my Ameritage silver series case also has the GWW label "made in Costa Rica"..........

hi specialk --

i own 2 collings ukes and both (the older tenor and the brand new concert) cases are labelled as as GWW made in costa rica. seems that GWW manufactures cases for ameritage but the current uke cases are not branded as ameritage.

looked like the statement that they're using ameritage cases was a new one and implied there would be some change.

k

grownupboy
04-15-2013, 08:22 AM
yup,

i guess the question is really - are collings switching to ameritage branded cases? looks like their acoustic guitars already use full blown ameriatage branded cases. only time would tell it seems.
k

Dan Uke
04-19-2013, 09:56 AM
A few more Collings for sale...

LoMa
04-19-2013, 01:30 PM
I like Collings guitars, but didn't care for the two Collings ukes I tried - one was a mahogany uke and the other was koa. In my hands, they just weren't very responsive. Probably just me, but they weren't for my mediocre touch, sadly.

They sure looked and felt beautiful though!

fumanshu
04-19-2013, 01:36 PM
I like Collings guitars, but didn't care for the two Collings ukes I tried - one was a mahogany uke and the other was koa. In my hands, they just weren't very responsive. Probably just me, but they weren't for my mediocre touch, sadly.

They sure looked and felt beautiful though!

That's what I always thought about guitar companies that are trying to build ukes.....

https://soundcloud.com/baouke

Dan Uke
04-19-2013, 06:34 PM
What's that sound? The Collings bubble just burst!!

lakesideglenn
04-19-2013, 06:46 PM
I bought a new $1600+ Collings UC2 in figured mahogany for my birthday present to myself back in December. A stunning instrument, drop dead gorgeous to look at, flawless craftsmanship... but sonically it was a dud! I spent 3 days trying to fall in love with it and ended up hating it...sent it back for a refund and GLADLY ate the return shipping costs!
FYI: I'm a big Collings fan...I have a 14 year old Collings guitar that I will never sell

Markr1
04-19-2013, 10:09 PM
I've got 4 Collings tenor ukes in all now and had a 5th one a while back that I sold and could kick myself for letting it go. I love the 3 all the same and will love the new one when it arrives. One UT-1 mahogany that I originally bought from Dana has fully opened up and is the best sounding tenor I have and I would put it up against any of yours in sound and maybe playability. That could be due to the fact that he played the crap out of it and opened it up for me. Id bet he probably wish he had that one back. Lol. The others are opening up the more I play them and will continue to do so and will eventually sound as good as the first UT-1 I have.
Collings puts a lot of pride in all their instruments and they don't make bad ones be it guitars, mandolins, ukes ect. Will they go up in value in 50 to 100 years from now more then the luthier made ones? Yes they will because they are Collings. Will they still sound and play great in that same time period. Yes they will because their very well built and their Collings. Will it matter to me long after I'm dead? Absolutely because my kids and grandkids will be the proud owners of them. They will look back many years after I'm gone and say hey my dad and grandad sure left us some really nice ukuleles.
Please don't anyone take offense to what I said it is my opinion only but as I said I do own 4 of them.
Who knows maybe I'll own even more in the future if the right ones pop up at the right price. I could stand for a couple of UT-3s to go with the 1s and 2s i have. Lol.
So there you have it. My personal opinion regardless of if you wanted it or not on Collings ukes. It's 3 in the morning and I think I'll grab one now and play it since I can't sleep. The question is which one this time? Lol.

Have a great day everyone. I know I will.

Hippie Dribble
04-19-2013, 10:33 PM
Collings bubble bursting? HA!!! That's absolutely hilarious! Collings are THE best factory made ukulele on the planet with daylight second. I've been fortunate enough to have owned 5 of them and now have one that is every bit as unbelievable in terms of build quality, playability and tone as the others. Then why did I sell them you may rightly wonder. Well, I do love to try out new instruments and unfortunately don't have the financial means to maintain a large collection. As it now stands, I have 4 ukes and my best is a Collings.They are, simply, dream ukes to play. As Mark suggested, I too would gladly stand mine side by side with any custom made instrument.

Acousticfool
04-20-2013, 03:38 AM
Love my UT2K. Not crazy about the pegheds, though. But overall, a wonderful instrument. Beautiful koa.

hobblecreek
04-20-2013, 04:03 AM
Like several other owners who’ve already posted, the sound of my Collings was somewhat tight (or suppressed) at first, yet it has changed spectacularly over time. I have always been patient playing-in new instruments and am truly grateful that I did so with the Collings. The construction was so high-quality and the koa was so beyond beautiful that I was determined to hang with it to see how the sound would change as it opened up.

I’ve now owned my Collings UC3 for more than 4 years – it started really opening up after about 6 months of playing, and its sound now (tone, clarity and volume) is everything I want to hear from a ukulele. I think a lot of folks sell quickly and move on to the next instrument before giving what they currently own the chance to fully mature, and I am so glad that I did not do that with my Collings. It's a keeper.

dkcrown
04-20-2013, 04:19 AM
Like several other owners who’ve already posted, the sound of my Collings was somewhat tight (or suppressed) at first, yet it has changed spectacularly over time. I have always been patient playing-in new instruments and am truly grateful that I did so with the Collings. The construction was so high-quality and the koa was so beyond beautiful that I was determined to hang with it to see how the sound would change as it opened up.

I’ve now owned my Collings UC3 for more than 4 years – it started really opening up after about 6 months of playing, and its sound now (tone, clarity and volume) is everything I want to hear from a ukulele. I think a lot of folks sell quickly and move on to the next instrument before giving what they currently own the chance to fully mature, and I am so glad that I did not do that with my Collings. It's a keeper.

I agree. Compared to my other ukes, it seems that Collings ukes in general take some time to reach their full potential. Patience is a virtue with Collings ukes, but you will be rewarded in the end.

Mxyzptik
04-20-2013, 04:20 AM
I just had my new uke day yesterday. A brand new Collings UT2 mahogany tenor. It's drop dead gorgeous in a classy minimalist kind of way. I chose it specifically after much reading because I want to try and learn to play light jazz with it. Songs from the great American songbook. I took along a set of Living Waters Low G strings and had the shop put them on . Last night my dear wife , who knows nothing about Uke's said " it has a much warmer richer sound than your old one". If this Uke is only get toget better the more I play it then I can hardly wait.

BTW Ken Middleton, the shop owner hadn't heard of your strings but he was very impressed. He played it a bit for me before I left and loved the sound. The also remarked on the packaging, he asked me where are these made and I pointed to the Made in Heaven and we shared a good chuckle.

hawaii 50
04-20-2013, 07:41 AM
I just had my new uke day yesterday. A brand new Collings UT2 mahogany tenor. It's drop dead gorgeous in a classy minimalist kind of way. I chose it specifically after much reading because I want to try and learn to play light jazz with it. Songs from the great American songbook. I took along a set of Living Waters Low G strings and had the shop put them on . Last night my dear wife , who knows nothing about Uke's said " it has a much warmer richer sound than your old one". If this Uke is only get toget better the more I play it then I can hardly wait.

BTW Ken Middleton, the shop owner hadn't heard of your strings but he was very impressed. He played it a bit for me before I left and loved the sound. The also remarked on the packaging, he asked me where are these made and I pointed to the Made in Heaven and we shared a good chuckle.

Haha that's a good one..

there is a person named Ken Middleton who lives in the UK that happens to be the owner of Living Water Strings..

dkcrown
04-20-2013, 08:35 AM
Haha that's a good one..

there is a person named Ken Middleton who lives in the UK that happens to be the owner of Living Water Strings..

Hey Len. I don't think he meant that the shop owner's name was Ken Middleton. He was just giving a heads up to Ken. :)

Mxyzptik
04-20-2013, 08:40 AM
Haha that's a good one..

Chill, it's was just poor punctuation and grammer .

I did not mean that Ken was the shop owner. I was trying to say, HEY Ken Middleton ( the fine fellow from the UK that sold me the strings ) STOP....... The shop owner in Edmonton ( who's name is Bob ) liked your strings, Ken .

I usually talk better than I write. At least when I'm not in my cups anyway !

I think that makes it clear as mud now.

wendellfiddler
04-20-2013, 09:57 AM
My Collings, purchased in February, has the GWW case. I can't imagine that Collings is actually switching to the more expensive Ameritage line of cases, especially when they are said to be scaling back ukulele production due to less than favorable profit margins. I think Collings must just be loosely using the Ameritage name, meaning that their cases are made by the same folk. That said, I wish they would change their case design. The Collings branded cases are way too tight and compact for my taste. They look nice, but are somewhat less than functional, with very little storage space and very little cushioning.

Oh, and I have a couple of Ameritage cases, and they also say GWW - Costa Rica.

-Steve

I used to feel that way about my Collings tenor case - but recently I was trying to get on an airplane with a tenor and a small suitcase and they said the tenor case, which was in a soft padded bag, was too big to be my personal item (never had that happen before). I took the case out of the padded bag, put the bag in my suitcase, and they accepted the uke as my personal item. Sooo.... maybe I need a concert size uke?

Dan Uke
04-20-2013, 10:37 AM

I did not mean that Ken was the shop owner. I was trying to say, HEY Ken Middleton ( the fine fellow from the UK that sold me the strings ) STOP....... The shop owner in Edmonton ( who's name is Bob ) liked your strings, Ken .

Dude, he wasn't making fun of you so why you so rude?

Hippie Dribble
04-20-2013, 10:51 AM
C'mon Daniel, relaaaaaax. There was no rude intent in what anyone has said, it's just another one of those cases of two people separated by a common language. :)Let's just get back to the topic at hand, yeah?
:cheers:

Dan Uke
04-20-2013, 11:16 AM
C'mon Daniel, relaaaaaax. There was no rude intent in what anyone has said, it's just another one of those cases of two people separated by a common language. :)Let's just get back to the topic at hand, yeah?
:cheers:

Chill Jon

I agree...my apologies...seeing that that Dana politely tried to explain the prior comment and knowing Len, I guess Chill and writing sarcastically can be interpreted in difft ways

Hippie Dribble
04-20-2013, 11:54 AM
Chill Jon

I agree...my apologies...seeing that that Dana politely tried to explain the prior comment and knowing Len, I guess Chill and writing sarcastically can be interpreted in difft ways
Daniel, when I want your advice on how to conduct myself on the forum I will ask for it. In the meantime, thin ice, sir, thin ice. I hope the interpretation of that is clear to you.

hawaii 50
04-20-2013, 05:37 PM
Hey Len. I don't think he meant that the shop owner's name was Ken Middleton. He was just giving a heads up to Ken. :)

I must of read that thread half asleep,,,thxs

hawaii 50
04-20-2013, 05:39 PM

OK I get it now..like I told Dana I was half asleep when I read it...Lol

mm stan
04-20-2013, 05:53 PM
Oh my you guys...getting too hot over here....have some ice cream and cool off... http://weheartit.com/entry/59112575/via/Losing_to_the_Music :o

Mxyzptik
04-20-2013, 06:27 PM
Dude, he wasn't making fun of you so why you so rude?

Wow, two in a row. Wasn't trying to be rude, just attempted to explain my poorly worded post and add a little humour which evidently failed miserably. Oh well, not the first joke I've told that bombed.

I think I'll take a little break from writing and express myself otherwise. Apologies if I have caused tension.

Dan Uke
04-20-2013, 08:36 PM
Wow, two in a row. Wasn't trying to be rude, just attempted to explain my poorly worded post and add a little humour which evidently failed miserably. Oh well, not the first joke I've told that bombed.

I think I'll take a little break from writing and express myself otherwise. Apologies if I have caused tension.

Mxyz...I apologize for my interpretation of what you wrote.

Doc_J
10-13-2013, 05:13 PM
When I got my first Collings, a slightly used UT-1 with stock Aquila strings, I was a little disappointed in the sound. I almost gave up on it. A few months passed, new strings, the uke opens up, and now I understand. The sound is great.

These are the ukes that people will be searching for decades from now. These are the modern equivalent of Martin ukes from the 50's and older.

blowery
10-14-2013, 04:36 AM
When I got my first Collings, a slightly used UT-1 with stock Aquila strings, I was a little disappointed in the sound. I almost gave up on it. A few months passed, new strings, the uke opens up, and now I understand. The sound is great.

These are the ukes that people will be searching for decades from now. These are the modern equivalent of Martin ukes from the 50's and older.

I agree. I put living water strings on and it had much greater clarity. I think these UT-1's will just get better and better.

Tom51251
10-18-2013, 05:18 AM
I started this thread as tomthebaptist. My email password was hacked so I discontinued all of my accounts with that password. Anyway, since starting this thread, I've purchased a Collings UT 1 from Deluxe Guitar Exchange. When this uke first arrived at the store (mid-May), I was the first person to play it. I didn't like it and passed off all the accolades as "hype." We'll, after several months and recovery from open heart surgery (quintuple bypass) I went back to Deluxe Guitar Exchange and saw that the ukulele had not been sold. Larry, the owner, encouraged me to play it again. I did ... End of story! I was flat out captivated and couldn't put the little feller down. It had opened up and the sound and ease of play are heavenly, living up to all the accolades. So, out came the wallet, paid Larry and signed the adoption papers (Oct 16). This little guy is great fun! Talk about a "change of heart!"

By the way, it's good to be back and part of this community.

dkcrown
10-18-2013, 06:45 AM
Welcome back Tom. And best of luck with your recovery and your new Collings.

Tom51251
10-20-2013, 04:14 AM
Thanks, DKcrown