Collings Ukuele

T

tomthebaptist

I see a fair number of Collings Ukuleles up for sale..... not a great many, but enough to cause me to wonder why. Earlier in the year I considered buying one - still open to it if I can get my hands on one to try out. Do they live up to the hype? Just wondering.

For a little perspective into what you've brought up, I have a Collings UC-1 that I would characterize as the perfect ukulele. Also, I'm considering selling it. Haha. I can't even really give a good reason as to why, outside of it's my only concert scale uke. However, I think they they absolutely live up to the hype. Keep in mind that it's probably just coincidence that they're all popping up at once- that happens quite often with various brands. My problem is I keep buying new stuff and am forced to let stuff go; I'd venture to bet that I am not alone in that regard. If you've been pining for one, I wholeheartedly recommend them, but you better pick one out quick because word on the street (here, haha) is they're set to drastically decrease production on the ukuleles.

My koa tenor is a delight. It is well-balanced and light, easily playable, impeccably crafted, and makes very nice sounds. I'd say that "hype" isn't the right word, as it implies exaggeration.

I have one. It's a concert mahogany with a gloss finish. When I got it, I was surprised how light it was physically, and how bell-like the sound was. I like it a lot. In the right hands, it's a real thing of beauty.

My thoughts are that they are like little classical guitars, only they are ukuleles. That might not appeal to some people. They are also expensive. Maybe some people get them and then find they want to liberate that money and try something else.

I'm keeping mine though. I love it.

My koa tenor is a delight. It is well-balanced and light, easily playable, impeccably crafted, and makes very nice sounds. I'd say that "hype" isn't the right word, as it implies exaggeration.
I agree. No hype about Collings ukes. Having owned several I firmly believe these ukuleles deserve all the plaudits they attract. Light, well balanced, exemplary construction, incredible playability, rich, sweet tones, perfect finish, sustain for days.

If I could only have one uke it'd be a Collings or one of mr saltytri's ukes which are a very close second :worship:

As to the number being resold...I don't think it means anything re quality, it's just natural attrition as people buy and try and move them on, just because they enjoy the thrill of having a new uke arrive. And I confess, I'm another one of those folks like Matt above...maybe the best sounding concert I ever played was a Collings UC2 that I also resold....arrrrggghhh!!! Note that there's also heaps of 2nd hand Mya-Moe's for sale, DaSilva's, Black Bear's - there's even been 1/2 dozen Moore Bettah's been let go in the last few months.

I don't believe you would regret buying a Collings uke for a second Tom.

Collings makes nice ukes and they are as close to "perfect" as any uke I've seen. That being said I also haven't kept any of the ones I've owned. I think I've found them to be so perfect that they get a little sterile sounding to my ears and other brands just have more character for me. They're also a bit stiff when new so given some time they will probably open up quite nicely.
The bottom line is that if you want a beautifully built uke then this is definitely a good brand to take a look at.

I had two Collings tenors UT 1 s. they were superb. Lightweight and well built, with a sound like a songbird. They are as good as most custom ukuleles.

Why they use cheap feeling and looking Peghed plastic tuners on such fine, high end instruments, I can't fathom. With Gotoh Planetaries and high end Gotoh Deluxe frictions functioning so well, and looking like a gazillion bucks at $60 a set, I think this might change.

Notice I said "had"... I sold them both. Why...I can't quite grasp. Honestly, I don't know why. It just felt like the thing to do.

Last edited:
Why they use cheap feeling and looking Peghed plastic tuners on such fine, high end instruments, I can't fathom. With Gotoh Planetaries and high end Gotoh Deluxe frictions functioning so well, and looking like a gazillion bucks at $60 a set, I think this might change.

This isn't the first time I've seen Pegheds referred to as plastic, which is a mystery to me. Love them or hate them, that doesn't concern me. But they are made of metal, not plastic. The only part that's plastic is the button, just like 80% of all tuners made.

This isn't the first time I've seen Pegheds referred to as plastic, which is a mystery to me. Love them or hate them, that doesn't concern me. But they are made of metal, not plastic. The only part that's plastic is the button, just like 80% of all tuners made.

My guess is that they use the pedheds because they are light as a feather compared to others and add to the overall balance (which is exemplary). Whatever Collings is doing, they should keep doing it. They're making incredible instruments. I too sold my koa tenor, the reason being I wanted to try something new and I knew the Collings was going to get me the most in the resale market. I do miss that instrument though...

there's even been 1/2 dozen Moore Bettah's been let go in the last few months.

Really? I only know of a couple that have been sold and that is when some members put out feelers asking if somebody was willing to sell.

Sorry - back to the topic....Collings Ukes.

I too think it is coincidence. I had a Collings UT-1 and it was the best made production uke I've tried. The sound wasn't for me as it is too lightly built so it has that hollow sound in my opinion and I am not into drop tuning it to give it warmth. I sold it to someone in my uke group and when I hear him play it, it sounds really good and there is another player that has it as well. Maybe I needed a soundport. HAHAHA However, I was curious with Specialk13's cuz it had a spruce top but that thing sold quickly.

BTW, they have a new Collings UT-1 at McCabes in Santa Monica if someone is looking for one.

Last edited:
Just a correction, Pegheds have no metal in them, they are fiber reinforced plastic, inside and out.
Collings used Pegheds when they were the best thing out there. You watch, Collings will migrate to the Gotoh planetary tuners soon.

Rich, I have seen you write that before, but I think David Newton is right--at least to my thinking. Plastic.

Gotoh PLanetaries are amazing for looks, and cost and are not plastic.

On the Pegheds, I think the barrel that is pressed into the headstock is aluminum but the knob is plastic (or wood).

The spruce topped Collings are much more appealing to me (although a bit like a guitar in sound) and I think with time they will sound really good. I'm relating this to their guitars which seem to take a long tiome to break in before they start to really open up.

Rich, I have seen you write that before, but I think David Newton is right--at least to my thinking. Plastic.

If I am wrong about the Pegheds, I will stand corrected. My understanding was that the shafts were made of aluminum. I don't currently have a uke with Pegheds to confirm (although I should by Friday!), and I can't find much info on the web confirming or denying (except Ukeeku's original Peghed review which lists the shaft material as "metal"). What is the source of the shafts and gears being made of plastic?

Edit to add: I contacted Pegheds to get a materials list so we can settle this once and for all. Will post once received.

Last edited:
You are not wrong Rich. The body is aluminum, the knob is usually plastic, although wood knobs are available and judging by the way my rare earth magnet just stuck to one, the gears are steel.

Brad

I have one. It's awesome. I know everyone says this, but they are put together so well. More importantly, they sound great (at least to me). Very clear, bell-like tones.

As for why people sell them - it's most likely because they know they can get at least a certain amount for them, and that it'll sell relatively quickly. If you're trying to get some money together to fund another purchase, pay rent, etc., you're likely to sell something that you know will sell quick and for close to what you paid for it. I'm kinda in that situation myself, so I've been thinking about selling mine (anyone interested?). Though, if/when I do, I'll probably regret it. :)

I had two that I sold but I've ended up with a UT-3 custom tangerine burst that's a real sweetheart. It's my "gold standard" for comparing other instruments.

You are not wrong Rich. The body is aluminum, the knob is usually plastic, although wood knobs are available and judging by the way my rare earth magnet just stuck to one, the gears are steel.

Brad

Assuming I hear back from Pegheds, I will be happy to post the exact composition.

Just a correction, Pegheds have no metal in them, they are fiber reinforced plastic, inside and out.
Collings used Pegheds when they were the best thing out there. You watch, Collings will migrate to the Gotoh planetary tuners soon.

Here is the response I received from Chuck Herin at Pegheds. I think this should settle things once and for all. I would respectfully request that folks stop spreading misinformation about this product. I don't have any particular attachment to this product-- it just bugs me when misinformation is continuously spread as fact, when the facts are readily available. It can't be plastic "to your thinking"--- it either is or isn't.

From Chuck Herin:

String post. Hard coat anodized aluminum.

Body Hard coat anodized aluminum helical ring gear.
Input shaft and gears heat treated alloy steel helical gears
Grip is either plastic or wood depending on the model.

Every part (except certain grips) made in USA.

Top Bottom