How to make videos legal

electrauke

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have been confused lately. I want to make my YouTube videos legal. I have seen some UUers put references to US copyright law. Does that do he trick? Or are the videos legal as long as you do not monetize them?

Thanks

There is nothing you can do to make a video of a copyrighted song legal except getting the copyright owner's blessing (and they pretty much always want money).

The trick is to fly under the radar so you don't attract their attention. This means avoiding songs owned by artists and companies that are known for vigorously protecting their copyrights to the point of being a little ridiculous, avoiding putting the song title or original artists name in the thread, and so on.

I run two youtube channels - one for covers and one for originals and public domain songs.

John

The answer is to not use the title of the song and play so poorly that the song is unrecognizable, a technique I have perfected.

The answer is to not use the title of the song and play so poorly that the song is unrecognizable, a technique I have perfected.

Hahahahah. Love it......

I think it is a little ridiculous that playing a song on the internet and not making money from it is illegal.

I think it is a little ridiculous that playing a song on the internet and not making money from it is illegal.

Really? Let's look at it this way. Say you wrote a song and sang it on the internet on youtube and you even had a copyright for that song. Since you are not a well know singer, someone comes along, hears your song and steals it and makes a bunch of money off of it. Its your song but someone else has taken it. Is it ridiculous now?

It's not illegal. You won't go to jail, you won't be arrested, you won't be fined. But you may violate the policies YouTube required you to agree to when you started your channel. And YouTube may therefore delete the offending video.

Most musicians and their labels will allow you to play covers of their songs on YouTube without any problem. Occasionally, one will be flagged as "matched third party content". All that means is that the copyright owner identified it, and they will get some tiny fraction of a penny from YouTube in ad revenue when your video is played. Most musicians and labels realize that it is in their benefit for fans to like their songs and want to play them.

Most, but not all. Every now and then there is some musican (or label, or company given the job of looking after the copyright) who won't allow their songs to be covered. They will tell YouTube they want your video removed. If they control the copyright to that song, YouTube will do as they ask. YouTube will delete your video and give you "a strike" against you. If you get three strikes, YouTube will delete your entire channel. Remember, it is not your song, and you do not control the rights over what use you can make of the song.

The hard part is knowing ahead of time where you might have a problem. I've heard of people having Jimi Hendrix and Supertramp videos deleted, and that Sony doesn't want covers of artists on its label. I've got over 100 cover tunes on video, and I haven't had YouTube delete any. Yet. I self-deleted two Supertramp covers when I heard that was a potential problem. Personally, I don't think the quotes people post about copyright law make any difference, but some people feel that posting that language will protect them.

Really? Let's look at it this way. Say you wrote a song and sang it on the internet on youtube and you even had a copyright for that song. Since you are not a well know singer, someone comes along, hears your song and steals it and makes a bunch of money off of it. Its your song but someone else has taken it. Is it ridiculous now?

No but I said NOT making money off of it, if you are making a profit then that is a whole different story.

It's not illegal. You won't go to jail, you won't be arrested, you won't be fined. But you may violate the policies YouTube required you to agree to when you started your channel. And YouTube may therefore delete the offending video.

Most musicians and their labels will allow you to play covers of their songs on YouTube without any problem. Occasionally, one will be flagged as "matched third party content". All that means is that the copyright owner identified it, and they will get some tiny fraction of a penny from YouTube in ad revenue when your video is played. Most musicians and labels realize that it is in their benefit for fans to like their songs and want to play them.

Most, but not all. Every now and then there is some musican (or label, or company given the job of looking after the copyright) who won't allow their songs to be covered. They will tell YouTube they want your video removed. If they control the copyright to that song, YouTube will do as they ask. YouTube will delete your video and give you "a strike" against you. If you get three strikes, YouTube will delete your entire channel. Remember, it is not your song, and you do not control the rights over what use you can make of the song.

The hard part is knowing ahead of time where you might have a problem. I've heard of people having Jimi Hendrix and Supertramp videos deleted, and that Sony doesn't want covers of artists on its label. I've got over 100 cover tunes on video, and I haven't had YouTube delete any. Yet. I self-deleted two Supertramp covers when I heard that was a potential problem. Personally, I don't think the quotes people post about copyright law make any difference, but some people feel that posting that language will protect them.

Ok, that is good to know, are there any specific companies not to do cover songs of?

Sometimes I don't understand it completely. Just recently I had to take a parody of "Whiskey in the Jar" off my site. It's a "parody". I thought that was okay. It's funny but the same parody taped at a different time and named "Leprechaun in a Jar" is still up. Wonder if I'll get in trouble for the IZ song I just put up :)

The simple solution is to post only Grateful Dead songs. They not only don't mind, they encourage covers of their tunes and reward the best ones.

http://www.dead.net/dead-covers-project

Scooter

Sometimes I don't understand it completely. Just recently I had to take a parody of "Whiskey in the Jar" off my site. It's a "parody". I thought that was okay. It's funny but the same parody taped at a different time and named "Leprechaun in a Jar" is still up. Wonder if I'll get in trouble for the IZ song I just put up :)

You should have challenged that because Whiskey in the Jar is a very old traditional song and thus in the public domain (it was ancient long before the "cool" bands recorded it). You can do the original, you can do a parody, whatever, it's fair game.

Unfortunately, due to changes in US copyright law, there are a lot of companies with questionable ethics that go around trying to "enforce" copyrights that don't exist. Don't bend over and let these jerks get away with it. Challenge bogus claims with YouTube. Maybe if enough people challenge bogus claims YouTube will get wise and start blacklisting the worst offenders who build a long history of rejected claims.

I've taken to mentioning right in my description when a song is an original (in which case I also include a copyright notice) or a public-domain traditional song. Since I've been doing that I haven't had any more bogus claims against my stuff.

John

Hi guys, I have been confused lately. I want to make my YouTube videos legal. I have seen some UUers put references to US copyright law. Does that do he trick? Or are the videos legal as long as you do not monetize them?

Thanks

Just wanted to say thanks for this thread. I am sure this is a common concern for many of us. Myself included.

I write them a nice letter with my videos. You know, Dear The Record Company That Owns This Song, I really like this song so I covered it. If you could, please go fry some bigger fish. Unless of course you have a fish allergy, in which case stick to the chicken. Much love, Tina.

It probably doesn't help, but it entertains me.

in other news, the other day I went looking for the chords to a song (THE CHORDS, mind you), and found that the music company behind them had claimed copyright infringement on their post to ultimateguitar.

Top Bottom