Redoing headstock question

KenRice

Reaction score
I am not sure what the process is so I thought I would ask here. I apologize if this is the wrong place for this question.

I received a custom order that was supposed to have a slotted koa headstock. Instead, I got a slotted black headstock. The maker said they could change it, but I am wondering what is involved in that process and what potential problems may arise now and in the future because of it. I don't want to risk future problems for cosmetics, however I payed a lot of money and I am unhappy with this error. Any advice on what I should do will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I would think that removing a headstock overlay (probably ebony) on a slot-head would not be an easy job. If you could, it would difficult to recut the slots without messing up the softer neck wood. I think an ebony overlay adds a good deal of strength to the headstock, especially with the slots lessening the surface area. But only the builder can make that call.

Yep...its a veneer. To change it he will have to heat it up somehow to melt the glue. Pry it off the black veneer with putty knife, then glue on a new veneer in koa, then refinish.
Or....if he's a professional builder he might have necks ready for assembly. Then he can just change the whole neck and reuse the black headstock on another instrument. Either way would work fine with no damage. Option two would be my preference to avoid finishing

If the builder says that he will change the faceplate and I you can not live with it..then I would let him do it..seems to me you have no choice...good luck

just my 2 cents

I appreciate the responses from everyone. Any builders with input regarding my situation? Thanks in advance.

It certainly can be changed. Depending on how the neck is attached, it may just be a matter of swapping the neck out for the one specified, and he'll reuse that neck on another build. Or he may replace the peg head overlay. Either option works.

In either case the maker is wanting to make it right, so you just need to decide if it's that big of a deal to you or not.

Top Bottom