PDA

View Full Version : what strings to put on a Favilla soprano?

Strummin simon
04-03-2013, 03:15 AM
Hi Guys,

just received my Favilla Soprano today.

what strings does everyone recommend or suggest?
i'm going off Aquilas, so what else to try?

GinnyT11
04-03-2013, 03:36 AM
I got one recently (LOVE it!). We put Worth brown mediums on it, and it really projects a mature mahogany sound.

Strummin simon
04-03-2013, 03:38 AM
i've just put brown worths on my Timbuck soprano. i like em.
was considering them for the Favilla

Tsani
04-03-2013, 04:26 AM
I agree that the Worths are among the best you could use - but I tend to prefer the Worth clear over the browns. I would also recommend Ken Middleton's "Living Water" strings. I am converting to Living Water strings on most of my ukes. Any of these is going to sound great on your Favilla (and congratulations by the way - welcome to the club!).

I think you are smart to move away from the Aquilas. I think that the Aquilas sound good on some ukes - particularly the Koa ones - but Favillas are a bit softer and sweeter and I think they call for either Worth or Living Water strings - both of which are smooth flourocarbon strings. I also think that the Worths and Living Water strings are better for fingerstyle playing. I think they play smoother. :2cents:

RyanMFT
04-03-2013, 06:46 AM
I have Martin M600 on all of my Favilla ukuleles and they seem a very good fit. I didn't like Aquila on these ukuleles either.....too sharp and punchy.

Tsani
04-03-2013, 07:16 AM
Did you get a straight up Favilla soprano in mahogany and clear varnish, or did you get one of the teardrops or painted ukes? I was mightily tempted by a blonde teardrop on ebay, but the neck had been broken and I was not sure of the quality of repair - so I got scared off. It sure looked sweet though. I think Tom Favilla said those blondes are pear wood. Post pics! There are a lot of Favilla fanatics out here. We form our own strange little wing of this asylum.:cool:

UKEonomics
04-03-2013, 11:30 AM
congrats on the new uke and welcome to the Favilla ukers club! They are some sweet little ukes.

Worths are probably a good choice. You might try these new Oasis strings on it (when they become available). I took a test run of these on a Favilla and they sound awesome! Sound sample here (http://ukeonomics.blogspot.com/2013/04/oasis-ukulele-strings-full-review.html). Good luck to ya!

coolkayaker1
04-03-2013, 02:02 PM
Hi Guys,

just received my Favilla Soprano today.

what strings does everyone recommend or suggest?

I'd use genuine ukulele strings. They come in packs of four.