Fingerstyle finger assingment

Xcalith

Reaction score
Hi! I have a question about playing fingerstyle on the uke. Do you guys strictly assign a specific finger to a string and strictly play with that finger only? Ex: thumb for g, index for C, middle for E, and ring for A; then play all notes of the melody on a string using only that finger. It doesn't seem that intuitive to me at times but I see some players doing it.

I'm trying to do it that way, but I seem to end up using my thumb and index finger a lot.

I usually alternate my thumb between the (g) and (c) strings, index on (e), middle on (a). There is no right or wrong - it is personel preference. It depends on what you are comfortable with, the song, the style, etc. There are some great lessons on the main page by Aldrine that might help you out.

There's nothing "strict" about uke playing. That's part of why I like it so much. But, the general method (I don't want to say "rule") is as you say with one finger per string. I frequently move down one string, using my first two fingers on the two high strings and let the thumb handle G and C, but it all depends on the arrangement and what feels best. If there's a strong melody part there's no compelling reason I know to use my weaker fingers when my index and middle are right there doing virtually nothing.

Top Bottom