PDA

View Full Version : ISO Flea Soprano used

Tifflery
04-03-2013, 09:02 AM
I would like to buy a used soprano FLEA or possibly a Fluke...or some other type of uke that would be good for traveling and long car rides. I would prefer to spend less than $100, but I know you get what you pay for, so a little more is fine. Thanks!

ukemunga
04-03-2013, 09:04 AM
Nothing wrong with Fleas and FLukes. They're great!

But check out www.outdoorukulele.com

Just what you're looking for.

Tifflery
04-03-2013, 09:06 AM
lol. I swear I checked that site yesterday, and it didn't have a time frame for when they would be available!...or a price!
Yay!

Shazzbot
04-03-2013, 11:27 AM
For $150 you can get the pineapple flea posted for sale on this page.
That extra $50 would be well spent.

Tifflery
04-03-2013, 01:18 PM
I Asked About It, But They Havent Replied That They Stilk Have It Or Not..........:(

Tifflery
04-05-2013, 05:35 AM
Ok, been reading and thinking.....obsessively for days.....
I want either a flea soprano, or a fluke concert....I'm holding out on the outdoor uke until we have some reviews and sound samples and stuff to obsessively pour over. ;)If anyone can show me some links to sound comparisons etc, I'd appreciate it...I've looked all over and most of the links I find in posts are no longer there. And, if anyone has one laying around that they's like to sell, it might not matter if its a fluke or a flea, I'll take a chance! lol
Thanks guys!
Tiff

ScooterD35
04-05-2013, 12:55 PM
This is my favorite Fluke/Flea review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9FK8cD2Vho

Scooter

Tifflery
04-05-2013, 04:21 PM
Thanks Scooter. I Am PrettY Sure I Am Going To Get Flea. Thanks For Your Help!!

mm stan
04-05-2013, 05:54 PM
Aloha Tifflery,
Not a Flea but a Fluke....not nice, but the price looks nice...don't know how it sounds or plays....saw this on a Craigslist ...
NOT affiliated with the seller.....check it out...with shipping maybe 100.00 70.00 out of Kauai http://honolulu.craigslist.org/kau/msg/3723769345.html

kissing
04-06-2013, 01:50 AM
To be honest, any ukulele around $100 or below is good for travelling.

I would consider the Flea/Fluke too precious as a mere beater uke, unless my collection comprised of several premium ukes.

bnolsen
04-06-2013, 03:40 AM
To be honest, any ukulele around $100 or below is good for travelling.

I would consider the Flea/Fluke too precious as a mere beater uke, unless my collection comprised of several premium ukes.

I have to agree with this. My fluke is the nicest in my tiny collection and right now what I consider to be my "performance" ukulele.

Tifflery
04-06-2013, 04:45 PM
Argh. I Know You (And My Husband... Who Said The Same Exact Thing)Are Right......But I Want ONe... LoL. Plus, I Have Been Smoke Free For Six Months As Of The Fourth.....So I Get A Present, Right? Lol.
My "Nice Uke" Is A Kpk Soprano... And Cost About 200. But Since Its Solid And Soooo Pretty, I Almost Never Take It Outside To The Porch Where IAm...Constantly When Im Home. Im Either On The Porch Or In Bed. Lol. Plus, I Luve In Texas, And It GetS Sooo Hot And Nasty In The Summers, And Bug Spray... And Argh. I Dont Want My Kpk Anywhere Near Me.

Kerry1976
04-06-2013, 05:59 PM
I have a barely used Surf Soprano Flea that I would consider selling, but I would want $175 shipping included. It has the standard polycarbonate fretboard. I wanted desperately to love the Flea but it just isn't for me. I just don't like the way it feels when I play it. I have a Mainland Concert that I adore, and the sale of this would allow me to get a soprano that I would want to love just as much.

If you are interested, just email me directly at klemaster24 at gmail dot com.

Hippie Dribble
04-06-2013, 07:41 PM
What about one of those Les Paul copy mahalo sopranos???....laminate, great sounding and only about 70 bucks. I had one for a few years - gave it away to a friend now - and absolutely loved the sound.

I really think that you'll be very very lucky to find a flea or fluke for 100 bucks or under Tiff...would have to be in pretty ratty condition or a very desperate seller to be offered at that price mate. But good luck and hope you find something nice soon :)

rem50
04-07-2013, 03:10 AM
Since you quit smoking I think a new flea is a great reward! For the same reason you want one, the rest of us don't want to sell! UGH! Sorry. Here are some other fun ones under 100.
http://ukuleleacademy.bigcartel.com/category/soprano-size?page=4

kissing
04-07-2013, 05:47 AM
What about one of those Les Paul copy mahalo sopranos???....laminate, great sounding and only about 70 bucks. I had one for a few years - gave it away to a friend now - and absolutely loved the sound.

If you're gonna go for a Les Paul, definitely get the Epiphone Les Paul ukes instead of Mahalo.

I was quite attached to my Mahalo Les Pauls (I have a history of owning 2), but when I got the Epiphone Les Paul concert, it just blew the Mahalos right out of the water in terms of build quality, tone and electronics.

The Mahalo Les Pauls are cute and sound "OK" (albeit somewhat muted), but they also come with poor intonation, sharp fret edges and electronics that can never sound balanced.

The reason I say this is because the Epiphone Les Paul ukes are around the same price as the Mahalos (at least for Australians).

And the Epiphone Les Pauls are as durable as wooden ukes get. It is built out of thick wood, the sides/backs are a thick, solid timber that you could probably use as a weapon in the zombie apocalypse. It is currently my travel ukulele - and setup with Fremont blackline tenor strings, it has amazing sustain, volume and tone.

kaizersoza
04-07-2013, 06:58 AM
one thing nobody seems to mention about fluke/fleas is the fact that the sound board is quite a soft wood and can get dinked very easily, of course no uke that gets played will stay in pristine condition, but the price is a bit on the expensive side for a beater uke

bnolsen
04-07-2013, 07:25 AM
one thing nobody seems to mention about fluke/fleas is the fact that the sound board is quite a soft wood and can get dinked very easily, of course no uke that gets played will stay in pristine condition, but the price is a bit on the expensive side for a beater uke

And thus all the excitement over the outdoor ukulele. How much were the flea/flukes when they first came out?

ScooterD35
04-07-2013, 02:03 PM
I recently got a Tie-Dye Concert Flea with rosewood fretboard as a 50th birthday present from my family. It cost a bit more than $300 and I take it everywhere. Like all Fleas and Flukes, it really is pretty much bulletproof. The top is a laminate, which makes it virtually impossible to crack under normal wear and tear. The polycarbonate body is likewise fairly indestructible and the action and intonation are excellent.

When you add to that the fact that the folks that make and sell these puppies are some of the nicest, most dedicated people in the Ukulele universe, for me it was an easy decision to make the purchase.

Scooter

Tifflery
04-08-2013, 03:38 AM
Thank you all for your help! I have conceded to buy a cheapo uke for banging around, and will probably just keep my eyes open for a deal on a used flea in the coming months...and definitely read the reviews and thoughs on the outdoor uke! Thank you all for all your help, and if something comes up, I'll be here...lol
Tiff

bnolsen
04-08-2013, 04:55 AM
What did you "settle" on?

Tifflery
04-08-2013, 07:30 AM
Nothing, yet....I'm probably going to get a dolphin from Uke Republic...but all they have is white and orange.... I guess I can put stickers on it or something.. lol
(or maybe I can come across some "deal" on ebay or craigslist that I can talk my husband into...)
lol.

Tifflery
04-08-2013, 07:51 AM
Aloha Tifflery,
Not a Flea but a Fluke....not nice, but the price looks nice...don't know how it sounds or plays....saw this on a Craigslist ...
NOT affiliated with the seller.....check it out...with shipping maybe 100.00 70.00 out of Kauai http://honolulu.craigslist.org/kau/msg/3723769345.html

Did they make flukes with this design? I can only find that design offered in fleas....and the moon is backwards...(i guess, unless the picture did something wierd in reverse.....) and there aren't as many lines in the water...in the flea pics, the lines go up above the bridge as well....5154351544

bnolsen
04-08-2013, 08:37 AM
I dunno, I have a dolphin and I wouldn't say it's that exceptional. Would something like this float your boat?

http://www.theukulelesite.com/gretsch-mahogany-soprano-g9100.html

Tifflery
04-08-2013, 11:42 AM
hmmm...but for 100 dollars.....60 more and theres a flea.... bwahahah. I have it bad.

Tifflery
04-08-2013, 11:46 AM
actually, i replied before I listened to the sound sample. Its lovely!

Tifflery
04-08-2013, 11:48 AM
Did they make flukes with this design? I can only find that design offered in fleas....and the moon is backwards...(i guess, unless the picture did something wierd in reverse.....) and there aren't as many lines in the water...in the flea pics, the lines go up above the bridge as well....5154351544

Anyone shed some light on this? I am thinking of trying to purchase this but scared its fake or something weird....

ukemunga
04-08-2013, 01:04 PM
Anyone shed some light on this? I am thinking of trying to purchase this but scared its fake or something weird....

I don't know if i would trust that to be authentic. Here's why. I saved the first image above to my computer. Then I went to Google search and the images page. I dragged the saved photo into the search field and the results were interesting but very sparse. Try it.

But then again, I don't read japanese. Translated. 38,850 Yen. US$390.00!

Tifflery
04-08-2013, 02:56 PM
I'll have to wait until tomorrow at the desktop to try that, but I already had a feeling something was weird about it.....I can't find the camp design on a fluke at all, and the design is just not the same... Granted, someone would have tried to duplicate it on their own, but if I'm gonna buy it unseen and pay for shipping from Hawaii.....um, I need it to be at least a probable fluke. lol.
Oh well, I'll keep searching....
Maybe I'll just keep up the facade of searching for the next two weeks, and on my next payday, just order a real one....and not tell the hubbie till it's at the door....probably bad for the relationship....:)

ukemunga
04-08-2013, 03:25 PM
I don't think you're going to be happy until you have your Flea or Fluke.

With that in mind may I suggest you find the "best" used uke you can from someone in your area so you can see what it's all about while you save for just a little while to get you Fleukele? I started with a Kala KA-15S. New ones are available now for around $55. Some with free shipping.

But buy used and local and you might get away with $25-$35 for a try-it-out good uke. And the hunt can be fun.

Tifflery
04-08-2013, 03:36 PM
Lol, I have a KPK soprano I love...but I don't like it to be outside... and I have a Kohala Concert that I got for cheap at Hastings...which I bang around...but I don't like the concert NEARLY as much as my soprano...I actually think it is the size...not just that I like the Makala less...mainly because my first Uke was a Lanikai Concert and was really pretty nice...all black with electric pickups and gloss finish and all that....I HATED it. I sold it... only to buy the Kohala about two months later...it was sooo cheap! lol. Basically, I have a uke I can fiddle around with outside...(I actually am right now...) but you're right...I just too curious about the flea, and I want a soprano to be my best friend outside and in the hour commute to work everymorning... lol (I just ride)....I just need to wait till I can afford a flea...Thanks, Ukemunga. You're right. ;)

ukemunga
04-08-2013, 03:51 PM
Whoops! My bad, I thought I had read the whole thread. Well then... dammit... wait and buy a Flea!!!

I actually had a concert scale Flea and I liked everything about it. Except the wider nut width. Felt uncomfortable. But ever since I let it go I've been wanting to get another, a soprano. I'm sure I'll have one eventually.

And then the OU happened and I thought WTH?

And KPK! I can't believe how nice my Acacia sounds and how easy it plays. I think they are under-the-radar gems for the most part.

Tifflery
04-08-2013, 04:07 PM
I completely agree about the KPK. I had NO IDEA it would be this nice...I hate it though, because it's so beautiful, I'm scared to take it anywhere and definitely not outside in the Texas heat with the bug spray and the dogs and random rain showers...That's why I want something to take with me to work (not leave in the car, but still....) and I am ALWAYS outside...I've been outside since I got home from work, and I will be until I go get ready for bed...around 1:00 am....Seriously an outside person....The yard is my living room year round...so there are fire pits and bugs and bug spray and heat and humidity and all that fun stuff that goes with outside in East Texas in the proposed uke's future. Yah, I just need to wait.........or get the outdoor uke...that was you're idea, right?

ScooterD35
04-08-2013, 04:18 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magic-Fluke-Company-Soprano-Sized-Flea-M30-Ukulele-Natural-/360611002150?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53f6173726

Scooter

ukemunga
04-08-2013, 04:44 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magic-Fluke-Company-Soprano-Sized-Flea-M30-Ukulele-Natural-/360611002150?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53f6173726

Scooter! That's exactly the one I want. Bad. Maybe in a little while I'll get one and compare to the OU. But i'm sure someone else will do that first.

And Tiffiery, I did suggest you take a look at the OU. It just seemed to fit your description to a "T." And I know, I want a damn Flea too!

Tifflery
04-08-2013, 04:46 PM
I know Scoot...been watching it, and then it was relisted....I've been watching like three of em....but my "nice" uke was only 200, and my significant other doesn't see the point of a "beater" uke or one that I can take outside and play in the yard etc...that only costs fifty bucks less than my "nice" one....he thinks I should get a crappy dolphin or something for like thirty dollars....which is prob true, but really, the crappy ukes just make me not want to play....which makes me sad.
Argh.
Ok, I'm getting a flea next payday.
the cheapest, most simple model, but a flea nonetheless. this is ridiculous!
Thanks, Scooter, and everyone else for your help.

bnolsen
04-08-2013, 04:58 PM
if you do get a flea then call up the company directly and ask about any factory seconds. That should be the way to go. I think its 20% off for those?

non ebay source for new flea: http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Fluke-Flea-Ukulele-Natural/dp/B005Z3U502

Tifflery
04-09-2013, 04:08 AM
I'll have to do that. I'm pretty set on a flea now. even if I don't like it for some crazy reason, I know I will be able to get most of my money back out of it if I buy it new. (but I'm sure I'll love it...) I will just wait till payday and maybe sell some more stuff on ebay. lol.
Thank you all again for your help. You never steer me wrong. ;)

wconley
04-09-2013, 09:16 AM
My sister is trying to find the right "fit" for her. I've offered her my flea (eggplant, purple, or whatever that color is). If she doesn't want it, I'll probably be offering it up for sale soon. I bought it to have travel with and have around for the kids to grab. Not much of either has happened so it's time to start thinning the heard.

ScooterD35
04-09-2013, 09:58 AM
I will just wait till payday and maybe sell some more stuff on ebay. lol.
;)

That's the kind of attitude to have! Sell anything you can!

Got an old stereo lying around? How about that pasta maker that you used once? The four blenders you got as wedding presents (three of which are still in the boxes). Books, old TVs, toys... sell it all!

(BTW, Craigslist tends to be faster and easier.) (~);}

Scooter

Tifflery
04-09-2013, 10:11 AM
Lol. I agree. I have been selling virtually everything I own the last few months...I lost my job, and just started my new one, but there was about 2 months in between...I actually made more money selling all my stuff than I would have staying on for that time. But, as it goes with selling everything you own...I've started to run out of stuff. lol. Thanks, wconley, and if your sister doesn't decide to keep it, let me know! Thanks, guys!