PDA

View Full Version : The "I bought an Outdoor Uke" thread!

Pages : [1] 2 3

ukemunga
04-03-2013, 09:09 AM
I ordered this morning and have been following the "kickstarter" thread so I thought it might be interesting to start this for everyone who has also taken the plunge.

It would be interesting to see how many of us do, and to compare notes later.

And since they will all look alike, I'm trying to figure out an elegant discreet way to personalize it.

Fred

Mandarb
04-03-2013, 09:10 AM
I look forward to a review from you.

bnolsen
04-03-2013, 09:15 AM
Interesting to note they're putting "monofilament" line on these. Extra string sets for 2USD. Just cheap stretchy fishing line. At least I wont' feel guilty about ditching them (unlike the aquilas that shipped with most of the ukuleles I have now).

haolejohn
04-03-2013, 09:21 AM
Though I haven't yet, I will be getting one. I am going to do a winter review on mine. Apparently the material that they are made of is rated to -40 F. That is the winter temps that I am expected to see.

Newportlocal
04-03-2013, 09:22 AM
Ditto on the can't wait to hear opinions when you get them.

Uncle Rod Higuchi
04-03-2013, 09:58 AM
got #30.

Black felt marker? :)

I'll probably put stickers (pre-made and hijacked - ie I like to take those little stickers on Oranges or Bananas, or Windows stickers from old computers, or even meat grade stickers from the saran wrap from steaks or hamburger packaging and make my own :)) on mine... I hope it comes soon!

I know, I know, not shipping until April 22nd or thereabouts!

Really looking forward to it and seeing how/if it will respond to ToneRite conditioning:)

keep uke'in',

PS Hey mmstan, ordered yours already?

ukemunga
04-03-2013, 10:28 AM
got #30... Really looking forward to it and seeing how/if it will respond to ToneRite conditioning:)

Is that some sort of exercise program? :biglaugh:

Love the black marker idea. Write your name on the back. Bet you could see it in the right light!

Kem
04-03-2013, 10:32 AM
I got #23. I'm intrigued to hear it, though the strings don't seem promising.

PereBourik
04-03-2013, 10:37 AM
Following this story line. I'm thinking of "one for the road" and the choice will be between Outdoor Ukulele and a Flea.

jop
04-03-2013, 10:41 AM
Just ordered #88. I need another uke like I need a hole in my head, but...

Jens

mds725
04-03-2013, 10:43 AM
This thread has gotten this far without anyone posting a link to the Outdoor Ukulele website, so here goes:

http://outdoorukulele.com/

angrygnome
04-03-2013, 11:14 AM
As I said in the other thread, I managed to get order #10. Very interested to see what it sounds/feels like. :-)

It'll actually be the first soprano I've owned (but not the first I've played).

ukemunga
04-03-2013, 11:23 AM
Following this story line. I'm thinking of "one for the road" and the choice will be between Outdoor Ukulele and a Flea.

If this uke turns out to be really good I think it's going to eat a good portion of the Flea's market share.

The Big Kahuna
04-03-2013, 11:30 AM
These look great, but wouldn't it just be easier and cheaper to weather-proof a Dolphin ?

haolejohn
04-03-2013, 11:50 AM
These look great, but wouldn't it just be easier and cheaper to weather-proof a Dolphin ?

Well considering that I had a dolphin shatter in -20 F temps, It might get pretty costly to weatherproof a dolphin. I'm going to try one of these ukes, b/c quite frankly the price tag is much better than a Carbon Fiber one.

OldePhart
04-03-2013, 11:54 AM
Though I haven't yet, I will be getting one. I am going to do a winter review on mine. Apparently the material that they are made of is rated to -40 F. That is the winter temps that I am expected to see.

Yeah...polycarbonate is good stuff...I thought about you when I first saw that Outdoor Uke thread pop up. I have polycarbonate shooting glasses that are probably 20 years old and have been through all kinds of weather and they are basically as good as new.

John

gnordenstam
04-03-2013, 11:58 AM
I ordered #36 - looking forward to using it as a camp and travel uke.
--G

haolejohn
04-03-2013, 12:01 PM
Yeah...polycarbonate is good stuff...I thought about you when I first saw that Outdoor Uke thread pop up. I have polycarbonate shooting glasses that are probably 20 years old and have been through all kinds of weather and they are basically as good as new.

John

I sent one of the CF uke makers a email seeing if they would like an Alaskan Field Test. haven't heard back yet. I am getting one of these. Just not sure if I want to preorder b/c the release date is cutting it close to the end of the school year.

OldePhart
04-03-2013, 12:05 PM
I sent one of the CF uke makers a email seeing if they would like an Alaskan Field Test. haven't heard back yet. I am getting one of these. Just not sure if I want to preorder b/c the release date is cutting it close to the end of the school year.

Not to derail the thread but, do you live up there year round or just during the school year? Seems I remember you were based around Atlanta? a couple of years ago...

John

tattwo
04-03-2013, 12:14 PM
I may take a motorcycle ride over to Bend and see if I can check out their shop.....when the weather is a bit better

bnolsen
04-03-2013, 12:47 PM
Well considering that I had a dolphin shatter in -20 F temps, It might get pretty costly to weatherproof a dolphin. I'm going to try one of these ukes, b/c quite frankly the price tag is much better than a Carbon Fiber one.

Your fingers would shatter before the dolphin would trying to play at -20F.

angrygnome
04-03-2013, 01:01 PM
I know many/most people here will replace the strings with something better on the OU... which strings do you plan on using?

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
04-03-2013, 01:16 PM
I know many/most people here will replace the strings with something better on the OU... which strings do you plan on using?

Ah, so excited for the Oregonian plastic uke! #18 is mine; woohoo!

I'll start with either D'Addario J65 (which sound great on my 50s Islander uke) or GHS strings (which sound great on my Kiwaya KS-0P, a laminate travel uke).

kvehe
04-03-2013, 01:20 PM
I'm going to start my #15 out with Living Water - at least, that's the plan now. I'm certainly open to suggestions, although at this point, none of us really knows what we're dealing with. :)

UkeKiddinMe
04-03-2013, 01:46 PM
Let the games begin.

OldePhart
04-03-2013, 01:55 PM
Your fingers would shatter before the dolphin would trying to play at -20F.

He didn't say he was playing it at the time...he's a teacher in the wilds of Alaska, does a lot of traveling from school to school. It was likely the temperature differences going from being outdoors to a warm building. Temperature swings do more damage than simple extremes.

Oh...and just to clarify...your fingers aren't going to shatter at -20, either, unless you've been laying out cold and unprotected so that the fingers have actually been frostbitten, circulation has stopped, and the fingers have actually decreased to that temperature. Not that I think playing at -20 would be comfortable, mind you... LOL

John

mkatz
04-03-2013, 02:13 PM
I ordered #89.

Mitch

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
04-03-2013, 02:31 PM
I love watching the order number go up. Plastic ukulele lover, you're not alone. There are tens of us.

haole
04-03-2013, 03:13 PM
Looking forward to the reviews. It seems promising! I love my Flea, but it's almost too nice for some of the abuse I've put it through.

ksiegel
04-03-2013, 03:19 PM
I've got Order #34.

I agree - polycarbonate is good stuff - the eye shields on my fire helmets were made of polycarbonate, and - while we firefighters have broken them through far more abuse than I expect this uke to get - I've got 33-year-old eye shields that are strong and intact, although they are soot stained, and have been exposed to temperatures that literally melted other plastics in the room I was in.

Come to think of it, I've got a 33-year-old polycarbonate fire helmet with all the reflective material melted, but the helmet is just dandy!

Thinking of trying a set of Oasis strings on this uke...

-Kurt

unijaw
04-03-2013, 03:37 PM
When can we expect reviews from you folks? Not that I'm in a rush here in the UK we wont get a chance to buy it for awhile and shipping currently is $40. Looking forward to hearing from you all.

kvehe
04-03-2013, 04:22 PM
There will be a bit of a wait - they aren't shipping until April 22.

Gadzukes!
04-03-2013, 05:21 PM
Here's my guess as to the first review: "This thing is great. Well made, very sturdy. Sounds OK. For what it is, it's awesome."

There, now that I've written the first review, can I get a uke to go with it? ;)

Uncle Rod Higuchi
04-03-2013, 05:32 PM
Thank you, Gadzukes, for the brief but in-depth review!

Your uke will ship... on the 22nd! :)

keep uke'in',

Stackabones
04-04-2013, 04:25 AM
I'd wondered what happened to this project! Too cool that it is a reality.

ukeeku
04-04-2013, 04:29 AM
Ah, so excited for the Oregonian plastic uke! #18 is mine; woohoo!

I'll start with either D'Addario J65 (which sound great on my 50s Islander uke) or GHS strings (which sound great on my Kiwaya KS-0P, a laminate travel uke).

I got #19!! I will put my extra set of Black Aurora's on it when I get it.

UkerDanno
04-04-2013, 04:35 AM
I enjoy the craftmanship and beautiful woods of a ukulele...just can't wrap my mind around a black plastic uke!

Macmuse
04-04-2013, 04:47 AM
I enjoy the craftmanship and beautiful woods of a ukulele...just can't wrap my mind around a black plastic uke!

With you on this but it's not so much the plastic, it's the lack of sound files to hear what a production model is going to produce. I'm typically no luddite, but this one just doesn't impress me at the price point (which seems to be reasonable but not compelling, for me at least) nor the design. :\

I'm sure many will find it durable. I'd still want to hear it played before I even considered one.

pootsie
04-04-2013, 05:02 AM
And since they will all look alike, I'm trying to figure out an elegant discreet way to personalize it.

Fred

I read in another thread that you can mark a uke with your scent. Since these are water-resistant, it should be no problem ;)

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
04-04-2013, 05:50 AM
I got #19!! I will put my extra set of Black Aurora's on it when I get it.

That'll look cool... and it'll be the perfect uke for playing "Back in Black".

ukeeku
04-04-2013, 05:56 AM
With you on this but it's not so much the plastic, it's the lack of sound files to hear what a production model is going to produce. I'm typically no luddite, but this one just doesn't impress me at the price point (which seems to be reasonable but not compelling, for me at least) nor the design. :\

I'm sure many will find it durable. I'd still want to hear it played before I even considered one.
For me it is supporting someone who is trying something new. Keep in mind most new all plastic ukes or things like the Flea or fluke or 3X the price of this uke. I would expect the price to go up after this first batch.

Of all the people who I think should be interested in this uke is someone who lives in Arizona.

Uncle Rod Higuchi
04-04-2013, 06:04 AM
just an observation:

look at the post count of those who seem pretty excited about this new product.
Several noobies, but many with hundreds and thousands of posts. :)

just sayin',

haolejohn
04-04-2013, 06:19 AM
just an observation:

look at the post count of those who seem pretty excited about this new product.
Several noobies, but many with hundreds and thousands of posts. :)

just sayin',

I am excited about getting my hands on one of these. I had two ukes bust this year in the extreme cold. One just cracked and the other shattered (it was a dolphin). I will be traveling quite a bit from one village to another with my job next year and I wanted something that I wouldn't be afraid to take with me when it falls in that -20 to -40 F range. THis uke might be the answer. It is way more affordable than the fleas and flukes and it is about 1/10th of the cost of a carbon fiber uke.

It isn't about the sound or the looks...it is about the durability. I am not a soprano fan. I am not a plastic fan, but I am not wasteful either. I can't afford to have anymore ukes destroyed.

Macmuse
04-04-2013, 06:39 AM
Keep in mind most new all plastic ukes or things like the Flea or fluke or 3X the price of this uke. I would expect the price to go up after this first batch.

I'm not actually impressed much by any of the plastic ukes.

So I'm kind of staying true to form there. :D

Economically I would only expect these to go up in price if the demand exceeds production/costs. Seems they would be beating the market if they are as playable as a flea or fluke (ease and sound) at less costs and can find the production balance to support that.

Macmuse
04-04-2013, 06:40 AM
It isn't about the sound or the looks...it is about the durability. I am not a soprano fan. I am not a plastic fan, but I am not wasteful either. I can't afford to have anymore ukes destroyed.

And in your case it's a totally logical and practical choice. No question. :)

ukemunga
04-04-2013, 06:56 AM
I read in another thread that you can mark a uke with your scent. Since these are water-resistant, it should be no problem ;)

Good idea... but if I mark it with my scent no one will come within 50 feet of me!

Paul December
04-04-2013, 07:02 AM
It just strikes me as something that should cost no more than $50.

Uncle Rod Higuchi
04-04-2013, 07:03 AM
TMI, ukemunga, TMI :)

It will also wash off once it gets wet.

Black felt marker should do well:)

keep uke'in',

PS I'm actually giddy with excitement over this 'plastic' uke!

we tigers
04-04-2013, 07:06 AM
I wish I could join the list but they don't shipping options to my country, which is a bummer. I too would like to hear it first, but I also feel positive vibes towards supporting something new in ukeland.

caukulele
04-04-2013, 07:14 AM
Interesting thread...five pages and not a sound sample yet...I wonder what it will sound like?

mm stan
04-04-2013, 07:22 AM
Yup waiting for the first review....he he then again 50 bucks is not bad a deal at all......

Uncle Rod Higuchi
04-04-2013, 07:24 AM
there's a brief sound bite but not from the production models. It's from the proto-type which was built differently.

anyway, if you Google 'plastic ukulele project launches on kickstarter' and find a listing for Aug 2012, scroll down to the video explanation and sound bite (beginning and end, very short but promising).

keep uke'in',

PS mmstan, it's $100 + $5 shipping to continental US :)

I think the $50 was a 'wish'/suggestion

haolejohn
04-04-2013, 07:29 AM
And in your case it's a totally logical and practical choice. No question. :)

LOL! and if I wasn't up here in Alaska...I wouldn't be getting one. I use a beat up mainland concert for my outdoor uke in the lower 48.

diggah
04-04-2013, 07:42 AM
In for one (#7).

I need another uke like I need a hole in my head, but I wanted to support the project. I'm very curious in terms of how well the instruments are going to be set-up. It seems to me that if the machine tolerances are tight enough to allow them to be assembled and shipped in a playable state without a lot of tweaking; I expect them to do very well.

I also believe that if they become popular, production will be ramped up (and/or other uke makers will follow suit). If durable and affordable instruments can be mass produced it will open up huge markets. We may be looking at the ukulele equivalent of the Volkswagen bug (or simply the next step in that direction).

Whatever happens, I think this is a win-win for the luthiers and the industry in general. Once folks get hooked, it's only a matter of time before they'll start looking for something which suits their personal tastes.

Besides, as far as the general design goes; the outdoor uke has all the eloquence of a P-38 can opener (I say that as a good thing). Presently Iíve already wrapped my head around the idea, but my hands and my ears are still going have their say in another four weeks. :D

Ukejungle
04-04-2013, 08:50 AM
Got # 94. It's going in my VW pop top bus when I get it.

Can't wait. Have not heard it yet. I wonder why with a FB page and all that there is no video of anyone playing it.

Interesting, you have to wonder.

bnolsen
04-04-2013, 09:23 AM
Can't wait. Have not heard it yet. I wonder why with a FB page and all that there is no video of anyone playing it.
Interesting, you have to wonder.

Can't demo what doesn't exist. Right now there is currently no manufactured outdoor ukuleles in existence.

haolejohn
04-04-2013, 09:32 AM
I just bought one. Why not? I think for where I am at...It will be perfect. Now I just hope that it ships before summer vacation. I will do two reviews. I am doing a 80 mile hiking trip on the AT this summer. Then this winter I will put this uke through the real test. Alaskan Winter:)

Shastastan
04-04-2013, 10:08 AM
But aren't the Fleas and Flukes at least partially mass produced? If they changed some wood parts to plastic, they might end up with a cheaper model? I have a Flea and am quite happy with it. I'm not sure that I would get an all-plastic one, but I might just for outside playin.

I looked at the site but I confess I don't know anything about plastic ukes. Would any new competition have to prove they are better than Dolphin? I know of Dolphins being used in a couple of schools here locally, but I've never even tried one.

Uncle Rod Higuchi
04-04-2013, 10:28 AM
Here's some info from Aug 2012:

The Plastic Ukulele was developed by Scott Seelye, an Industrial Designer in Bend, Oregon. After years of building and collecting wooden ukuleles, Scott concluded that he could share his ukulele design with more people by developing a plastic instrument. "The goal was to maintain the look and feel of a vintage instrument while taking advantage of modern materials", says Scott.

... Designed and manufactured to perform as well as the best wooden ukuleles. Built to survive the urban environment, camping, hiking, and water sports. The soprano [original ukulele size] is compact and can be stowed away in backpacks.

The Plastic Ukulele will be 6 parts injection molded from polycarbonate, ... often referred to as bullet proof plastic and not affected by humidity or temperature changes. These parts are then assembled to create a very strong hollow structure with the internal volume and tone of a much larger instrument.

... The mass production side of me had always wondered if it was possible to manufacture a plastic ukulele that performs as well as the best wooden ukuleles. The answer is yes.

...To learn more about The Plastic Ukulele, visit the Kickstarter project page at http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/scottseelye/the-plastic-ukulele

I hope this helps.

Also, there should be a brief video with sound bite... sort of :)

keep uke'in',

haolejohn
04-04-2013, 10:59 AM
But aren't the Fleas and Flukes at least partially mass produced? If they changed some wood parts to plastic, they might end up with a cheaper model? I have a Flea and am quite happy with it. I'm not sure that I would get an all-plastic one, but I might just for outside playin.

I looked at the site but I confess I don't know anything about plastic ukes. Would any new competition have to prove they are better than Dolphin? I know of Dolphins being used in a couple of schools here locally, but I've never even tried one.

I will say from my personal experience. Dolphins have a cult folowing. THey aren't terrible but they aren't the best either. I have quite a few dolphins and geckos for my school uke club. I also have some blemished mainlands. This winter I left a dolphin outside in the sled as I brought my little girl inside. It was -20 something. That dolphin shattered. It couldn't stand up to the cold. I only left it outside for 10 minutes or so (could have been 20 min).
I also had a solid wood uke crack from the cold.
When I emailed the outdoor guys and they said that the uke was rated to -40 F I decided I was getting one. It is much cheaper than buying five ukuleles to go to five different villages.
And I know that the dolphin couldn't stand up to the weather.
And to be brutally honest it can not sound any worse than a dolphin (not that dolphins sound bad, they just sound like a $40 uke).

ukemunga
04-04-2013, 11:04 AM
May just be wishful thinking on my part but I have a hunch this uke is going to sound much better than anyone expects.

I have absolutely nothing to base this on except my gut feeling and what I've seen, heard and read.

Anyone have any opinion based in fact from known conventional construction techniques?

ukeeku
04-04-2013, 11:10 AM
My only concern is that he did bracing. Not sure it needed it. But it looks cool and the prototype sounds awesome.
If anything, I will be happy if it sounds as good as an Oscar Schmidt OU-2.
we could get lucky and it sounds like an old timey soprano

May just be wishful thinking on my part but I have a hunch this uke is going to sound much better than anyone expects.

I have absolutely nothing to base this on except my gut feeling and what I've seen, heard and read.

Anyone have any opinion based in fact from known conventional construction techniques?

ukemunga
04-04-2013, 11:18 AM
My only concern is that he did bracing. Not sure it needed it. But it looks cool and the prototype sounds awesome.
If anything, I will be happy if it sounds as good as an Oscar Schmidt OU-2.
we could get lucky and it sounds like an old timey soprano

What a coincidence... I just sold my OU-2 to help pay for this!

bnolsen
04-04-2013, 11:48 AM
My main expectation is that the intonation on this is as good as a flea/fluke. If not this will be a very serious letdown. If it sounds better than a brick with strings I'll be happy.

OldePhart
04-04-2013, 12:05 PM
It just strikes me as something that should cost no more than $50.

Heh, heh. Have you ever bought a good pair of polycarbonate shooting glasses or sunglasses?

They make this uke look pretty cheap...

bnolsen
04-04-2013, 12:17 PM
Mountain ocarinas have polycarbonate instruments they go for 25USD a pop and that's only 2 small polycarbonate molds, and 2 non polycarbonate plastic liner molds. This uke here with 6 molds and dramatically more material, definitely extremely reasonable if it's not junk.

electrauke
04-04-2013, 12:32 PM
I wonder if they sound any good?

ukemunga
04-04-2013, 12:49 PM
I wonder if they sound any good?

We all do, believe me. Especially us early adopters! Actually a pretty cheap way to satisfy the UAS addiction with something new and cool. If only.

haolejohn
04-04-2013, 12:53 PM
I have that feeling these will sound pretty nice. Not sure why, but for a small fee, I get a uke that is rated to -40 F. Much better than that carbon fiber price.

konut
04-04-2013, 01:38 PM
Really enjoying this thread. No shortage on opinions on a product no one has heard, played, or touched. Don't get me wrong, I share the anticipation for the potential of this product, yet can't help but feel that some will be severely disappointed and others will be over the moon. So it goes. A couple of points. One would expect that if this product is reasonably successful, the cost of production would go down, rather than up, as raw materials bought in larger quantities, production streamlining, and other efficiencies are brought to bear. How about a clear or translucent model? That would be pretty special!

UkeKiddinMe
04-04-2013, 02:01 PM
Isn't it a little odd that this thing is going from mock up to full production - with apparently nothing in between?
I would have expected a small prototype run where they'd be able to provide some audio of what this thing Really sounds like.

ukemunga
04-04-2013, 02:23 PM
I've got an interesting - but not thought out idea. I posit that the build quality and consistency of this instrument will be much, much higher that any other method of crafting a uke. So any player would, arguably, be holding, playing, hearing exactly the same instrument. It would be very revealing to see what we each think of it in a variety of ways.

Let's structure a poll, or small series of polls, to describe certain characteristics regarding appearance, or quality, or tone, and ease of play, etc.

Then after the fact we could all vote on things like the tone is: Dull, Bright, Mellow, Twangy... whatever. The build quality is: Outstanding, Very Good, Sloppy... whatever. To me the sound compares to: Cheap Laminate Starter, Midrange Solid Uke, Specific Uke...

The only problem is the semantics of what each description actually means. But whatever. Just an idea. It's all about different strokes for different folks and individual perceptions of the same elements on an apparently identical uke.

Thoughts?

ukemunga
04-04-2013, 02:42 PM
Another new thought. This is inevitable.

Can't wait for a sound comparison between the OU and a standard issue Flea. :)

kvehe
04-04-2013, 03:04 PM
....or the OU and a Dolphin...or the OU and a Kala KA-S...or the OU and a 0XK...or the OU and a Gretsch G9100... :)

OldePhart
04-04-2013, 03:15 PM
One would expect that if this product is reasonably successful, the cost of production would go down, rather than up, as raw materials bought in larger quantities, production streamlining, and other efficiencies are brought to bear.
I suspect you are right, though the savings realized might not be a huge percentage because apparently the uke is still assembled from several castings - presumably meaning human labor costs are probably a significant factor in the price.

How about a clear or translucent model? That would be pretty special!
That would be pretty cool, but probably more expensive. Generally clear plastics are more expensive than black, all else being equal. Also, again it's assembled from several pieces so with clear those joins would have to be aesthetically, as well as structurally, sound.

John

chindog
04-04-2013, 03:17 PM
Good idea... but if I mark it with my scent no one will come within 50 feet of me!

You're gonna pee on it?

Well, I'm in. But I don't know what number my order is. I haven't gotten an email confirm yet.

chindog
04-04-2013, 03:21 PM
Isn't it a little odd that this thing is going from mock up to full production - with apparently nothing in between?
I would have expected a small prototype run where they'd be able to provide some audio of what this thing Really sounds like.

I'm guessing this production run isn't full production, but is the prototype run.

Nicko
04-04-2013, 03:25 PM
I'm going to start my #15 out with Living Water - at least, that's the plan now.

I dunno...isn't this thing waterproof?

UkeKiddinMe
04-04-2013, 03:31 PM
I'm guessing this production run isn't full production, but is the prototype run.

I hope so, but it doesn't sound that way. If this guy is up to numbers in hundreds, than that's a whole lotta prototypes. :)

Nicko
04-04-2013, 03:37 PM
Wow! Lots of enthusiasm here for a plastic instrument that no one has seen or heard! Feeding frenzy!

Y'all got UAS and got it bad.

Hey, maybe it will be so fine that it will just completely blow up both the vintage Martin and blingy custom tenor markets in one swell foop!

Or, as I suspect, it will sound "good enough" for a $100 plastic ukulele. I'll be interested to hear what you all think.

bnolsen
04-04-2013, 04:04 PM
The problem with glass fiber polycarbonate production is that the injection molds are gawd awful expensive. Perhaps even 250,000 USD to get the set made. So there's zero room for trial and error. Once made you have to go into production to start making back the initial investment and adjust assembly to handle any faults that are in the molds. So WAGing 50USD left per unit (after materials, labor, overhead) he has to sell 5000 units to just pay for the molds. Note I could easily be off by factor of 5x or more on these numbers (likely low).

quote from facebook about making a guitar:

Outdoor Ukulele: Thanks Victor. I would love to someday. I have to save up for the $250,000 mold.

ickybaby
04-04-2013, 04:19 PM
I'm going to sit back and buy a used one when one of you UAS guys decides it's not for you and you need the latest what-ever-it-is.....or at least until I can hear a sound sample.

bnolsen
04-04-2013, 04:38 PM
The video backtrack is the machined prototype version that has a layer of paint on it. They speculate this prototype is muted compared to a production unit.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/scottseelye/the-plastic-ukulele/widget/video.html

ukeeku
04-04-2013, 04:53 PM
I'm going to sit back and buy a used one when one of you UAS guys decides it's not for you and you need the latest what-ever-it-is.....or at least until I can hear a sound sample.
You will be so jelly if I get mine for the May Normal Ukulele Jam.

ukeeku
04-04-2013, 04:58 PM
Really enjoying this thread. No shortage on opinions on a product no one has heard, played, or touched. Don't get me wrong, I share the anticipation for the potential of this product, yet can't help but feel that some will be severely disappointed and others will be over the moon. So it goes. A couple of points. One would expect that if this product is reasonably successful, the cost of production would go down, rather than up, as raw materials bought in larger quantities, production streamlining, and other efficiencies are brought to bear. How about a clear or translucent model? That would be pretty special!

I hope if it is successful that he does 2 things
1. other sizes
2. Colors

haolejohn
04-04-2013, 06:08 PM
1. other sizes
2. Colors

I agree, But i think they may just stick with the soprano size b/c of the size.

kvehe
04-05-2013, 12:59 AM
Wow! Lots of enthusiasm here for a plastic instrument that no one has seen or heard! Feeding frenzy!

Yep, exactly. There was a similar FF late last April for a limited edition (only eight made) Pono all-rosewood tenor, complete with some saying that it would sound, if not terrible, then less than optimal. That was fun.

ukeeku
04-05-2013, 01:48 AM
Yep, exactly. There was a similar FF late last April for a limited edition (only eight made) Pono all-rosewood tenor, complete with some saying that it would sound, if not terrible, then less than optimal. That was fun.

I think you both have missed the point or the reason for the frenzy. Context and tone are hard to read also. It seems that you both are kind of looking down at those that have put their money down for one.
I know for me it is putting my money down to help foster innovation. If you want to sit on the sidelines and comment about this, fine, but we are supporting the spirit and hoping that it turns out.
For me a $100 is not going to break me either. Please stop being a buzz kill, its not cool man.

kvehe
04-05-2013, 02:02 AM
I think you both have missed ;)the point or the reason for the frenzy. Context and tone are hard to read also. It seems that you both are kind of looking down at those that have put their money down for one.
I know for me it is putting my money down to help foster innovation. If you want to sit on the sidelines and comment about this, fine, but we are supporting the spirit and hoping that it turns out.
For me a $100 is not going to break me either. Please stop being a buzz kill, its not cool man.

What on earth are you talking about???? I'm order #15 and I'm counting the minutes, and I don't even like sopranos all that much (with a few spectacular exceptions, and you know who you are). Good Lord, read the thread before attacking me. This is living proof of your very true statement about context and tone.

What?? You don't remember my one little post from 800 pages back? :) :) I'm still annoyed, but hey, it's a NUD (if a guilele counts) for me, and aloha spirit, and the weekend is almost here, etc etc etc.

- and I bought one of those Pono rosewood tenors, and it's one of my favorites, out of, shall we say, "quite a few".

iDavid
04-05-2013, 02:04 AM
I live in Northern Japan and the weather is crazy here. I use humidifiers in the winter and AC in the summer. A plastic uke would be great for travel and weather.

Are any of you getting the upgraded tuners?

kvehe
04-05-2013, 02:14 AM
I saw them after I ordered and briefly considered it, but no, I'm not - I want the original, minimalist experience. :)

ukemunga
04-05-2013, 02:26 AM
I saw them after I ordered and briefly considered it, but no, I'm not - I want the original, minimalist experience. :)

That's what I thought too. You can always buy a set of Grovers or whatever after the fact and still have the original tuners.

bonesigh
04-05-2013, 03:05 AM
I seriously considered getting one of these. I may still but there's one thing that bothers me...the fretboard. I have a firefly banjo uke with a plastic fretboard and while it sounds nice, plays nice, I really don't like the fact that I cant see the fret bars as they are the same color as all the rest. Things are blurry that close up. While I can play most of my tunes with my eyes closed. I still like to see the frets.

Ukejungle
04-05-2013, 03:16 AM

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/scottseelye/the-plastic-ukulele/widget/video.html

this is a sound file from the early days - my understanding is that the neck is hollow so the volume of the uke comes to a concert size. Very clever if you ask me.

bynapkinart
04-05-2013, 03:29 AM
I got #43! Birthday gift to myself. Yeah, it's kind of investing on the hope that it'll sound good, but I have a good feeling about it.

Paul December
04-05-2013, 03:43 AM

this is a sound file from the early days - my understanding is that the neck is hollow so the volume of the uke comes to a concert size. Very clever if you ask me.

I'm very skeptical that the neck would resonate enough to add any sound volume.

Nicko
04-05-2013, 04:58 AM
Please stop being a buzz kill, its not cool man.

OK. I'll try to remember...only positive comments, only positive comments, don't rock the boat, play right. Got it.

UkeKiddinMe
04-05-2013, 05:25 AM
1. other sizes
2. Colors

I already tried to talk him into a baritone, but he wasn't interested. Maybe after some initial success.

ukeeku
04-05-2013, 05:25 AM
OK. I'll try to remember...only positive comments, only positive comments, don't rock the boat, play right. Got it.

I am sorry for sounding terse. please know that I respect all opinions. I have this great way of being harsh when I don't mean it.
Kvehe, Sorry for not looking at everything for context.
Peace, love, ukulele and all that jazz :P

Macmuse
04-05-2013, 05:37 AM
this is a sound file from the early days

Except that sound file is from a prototype that is not made in the way the production ukes are being made (it's painted, among other things). I'm just not very convinced by approx. 7 seconds of sound from that one.

The production model may end up sounding as good as that clip (better even?), but it's a total toss up at this point without any actual sound file from an actual production uke.

Not me, apparently. ;)

But don't get me wrong. I totally get supporting innovation and new ideas. I hope everyone who jumped at this is pleased with what they receive.

Since I'm not on the flea, fluke, plastic bandwagon in the first place I'm watching with interest to see what those who get them will have to say once they've played 'em.

kvehe
04-05-2013, 05:56 AM
Ukeeku - Friends again! Hope to see you at Mighty MO in July.

Uncle Rod Higuchi
04-05-2013, 05:58 AM
I hope the 'world' reads this thread!

Why? Because it exudes the "Aloha spirit".

Yes, opinions on both sides have been shared, even passionately and perhaps excitedly.
But read on... we apologize, we offer support - even when we're not convinced, etc.

What a wonderful 'ohana, filled with the "Aloha spirit".

Thank you UU 'ohana for continuing to display the warmth and insightfulness that is this Forum!

keep uke'in', :)

ukemunga
04-05-2013, 01:17 PM
I hope the 'world' reads this thread!

Why? Because it exudes the "Aloha spirit".

Yes, opinions on both sides have been shared, even passionately and perhaps excitedly.
But read on... we apologize, we offer support - even when we're not convinced, etc.

What a wonderful 'ohana, filled with the "Aloha spirit".

Thank you UU 'ohana for continuing to display the warmth and insightfulness that is this Forum!

keep uke'in', :)

Where's the "Like" button???

bborzell
04-05-2013, 02:03 PM
Does anyone know what species of polycarbonate they are using?

bborzell
04-05-2013, 02:05 PM
OK, just joking. I just ordered #191.

ukemunga
04-05-2013, 02:40 PM
Does anyone know what species of polycarbonate they are using?

:smileybounce:

Just an aside: At 200 orders just the cost of the mold alone is still a long way off.

gitarzan
04-05-2013, 03:12 PM
We have to think of ourselves a beta testers!

UkeKiddinMe
04-05-2013, 03:39 PM
Like___________

TheCraftedCow
04-05-2013, 09:30 PM
If you really wanted one, it could be shipped to someone who does not live far from Bend, and then shipped to you. Since I am considering getting one, two would not double in price to ship it the 120 miles.. There's a possibility to just go over and pick it up. Let me know if you are serious. I ship PEGHEDS all over the world.

PBandChelly
04-07-2013, 11:14 AM
As a chronic babyer of instruments, I'm totally in love with this concept. I can just see myself this summer, strumming along on a pool floatie, not being paranoid that a drop or two might end up on my uke. :cool:

My uke budget has been depleted for at least a month, so I won't be preordering one. As long as the reviews say it's at least decent, I'm sure I'll be picking one up.

bnolsen
04-07-2013, 02:24 PM
I can just see myself this summer, strumming along on a pool floatie, not being paranoid that a drop or two might end up on my uke. :cool:

wonder if it floats? i guess most plastics do. Wonder if they might make a cupholder option?

PBandChelly
04-07-2013, 04:29 PM
I bet it would float, though I would dread getting all the water out of the hollow neck afterwards. And as for the cup holder, it already has one! There are just those pesky strings in the way. :p

Paul December
04-07-2013, 04:52 PM
I bet it would float, though I would dread getting all the water out of the hollow neck afterwards

Good point. Someone should suggest a drainage hole for the neck.

HeWhoTalksLoudSayinNothin
04-07-2013, 11:30 PM
I'll await the first underwater sound sample before ordering! ;)

ksiegel
04-08-2013, 03:05 AM
If you really wanted one, it could be shipped to someone who does not live far from Bend, and then shipped to you. Since I am considering getting one, two would not double in price to ship it the 120 miles.. There's a possibility to just go over and pick it up. Let me know if you are serious. I ship PEGHEDS all over the world.

So if I like the uke, but not the tuners, I'll have to check and see if it can take Pegheds.

If I do like it, and it will accept the Pegheds, would I be able to send it to you, buy a set, and pay you to install them for me?

-Kurt

ukemunga
04-08-2013, 03:19 AM
wonder if it floats? i guess most plastics do. Wonder if they might make a cupholder option?

That could be a side port...

Sammybee
04-08-2013, 08:55 AM
I bet if batman had a ukulele, he'd have an outdoor Ukulele....which makes me want one even more

UkeKiddinMe
04-08-2013, 09:50 AM
I bet if batman had a ukulele, he'd have an outdoor Ukulele....which makes me want one even more

It would be called the Bat Uke, and it would fit in his utility belt, along with thousands of other things. :)

bnolsen
04-08-2013, 10:37 AM

Dunno about that:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?1732-Ukulele-Porn-%28post-your-uke-pics-here-%29/page84

Uncle Rod Higuchi
04-09-2013, 07:45 AM
is it the 22nd yet?!!! :)

Time marches on....

keep uke'in',

PS somehow I think the more I check this thread, the sooner the ukes will ship :)

ukeeku
04-09-2013, 08:10 AM
So if I like the uke, but not the tuners, I'll have to check and see if it can take Pegheds.

If I do like it, and it will accept the Pegheds, would I be able to send it to you, buy a set, and pay you to install them for me?

-Kurt

The headstock is not solid so I don't think PegHeds will work. Friction tuners or the Gotoh planatary will I think.

OldePhart
04-09-2013, 11:38 AM
PS somehow I think the more I check this thread, the sooner the ukes will ship :)

No,no, no! You're the one keeping the pot from boiling! :biglaugh:

ksiegel
04-09-2013, 01:59 PM
I just sent them an email asking if I can upgrade to the grover tuners. I wonder if/when I'll get a response?

-Kurt

ukemunga
04-09-2013, 02:08 PM
I just sent them an email asking if I can upgrade to the grover tuners. I wonder if/when I'll get a response?

There was a post about that on the site or the FB page. At the time I read it it said you could order them separately and if you used the same address it would become part of the same order and it would ship that way. I think they were $24.

I'm opting to try the base pegs. If I don't like that I'll just order the Grovers or whatever else might fit and stick them in. And still have the original set.

UkeKiddinMe
04-09-2013, 02:48 PM
There are a bunch of cool pics on the Facebook page of some parts that were completed. Kewl.
I'm getting very jealous.

I just noticed for the first time that the bridge is different. How are those strings holding inside the bridge? A knot?

bnolsen
04-09-2013, 05:11 PM
looks like a knot system. Looking more closely I'm not sure thats the best design (limits the size knot you can make) although it should hide the knot well enough.

SailingUke
04-10-2013, 10:25 AM
looks like a knot system. Looking more closely I'm not sure thats the best design (limits the size knot you can make) although it should hide the knot well enough.

It's an outdoor ukulele, hopefully buyers were either Boy/Girl Scouts and know how to tie a knot. :) :)

UKEonomics
04-10-2013, 11:59 AM
It's an outdoor ukulele, hopefully buyers were either Boy/Girl Scouts and know how to tie a knot. :) :)

...and then they would get a ukulele badge?

beautifulsoup
04-10-2013, 01:52 PM
With hollow neck construction, does anyone think the Gotoh tuners would make the uke "topheavy?"

ETA: Whoops; D'OH! Grover tuners. Sorry.

UkeKiddinMe
04-10-2013, 01:55 PM
With hollow neck construction, does anyone think the Gotoh tuners would make the uke "topheavy?"

Anybody know the weight of the Gotoh's?

TG&Y
04-10-2013, 02:01 PM
Looking forward to hearing report on these. When they were on kickstart I doubted they'd come up with funding but thought it was a very interesting concept. I hope they're as cool as the look.

bnolsen
04-10-2013, 02:52 PM
Looking forward to hearing report on these. When they were on kickstart I doubted they'd come up with funding but thought it was a very interesting concept. I hope they're as cool as the look.

lowering the price most certainly helped. the kickstarter price was about the same as a basic flea.

ksiegel
04-10-2013, 03:39 PM
They have to realize that not all of us use facebook, and they really need to post the same info on the web site!

Thanks for the information!

There was a post about that on the site or the FB page. At the time I read it it said you could order them separately and if you used the same address it would become part of the same order and it would ship that way. I think they were $24.

I'm opting to try the base pegs. If I don't like that I'll just order the Grovers or whatever else might fit and stick them in. And still have the original set.

-Kurt

PBandChelly
04-10-2013, 05:21 PM
They have to realize that not all of us use facebook, and they really need to post the same info on the web site!

Thanks for the information!

-Kurt

Heck, I'm on Facebook yet I wish they would use their main site more. Their posts always get buried under baby pictures and check-ins.

Christie
04-10-2013, 09:25 PM
"And since they will all look alike, I'm trying to figure out an elegant discreet way to personalize it.

Fred "

Well, it doesn't appear to have any fret markers, so you can get creative there.

ukeeku
04-11-2013, 01:58 AM
"And since they will all look alike, I'm trying to figure out an elegant discreet way to personalize it.

Fred "

Well, it doesn't appear to have any fret markers, so you can get creative there.

INLAY STICKERS FTW
http://ukeeku.com/2013/01/16/inlay-stickers-full-review/

Just say'n its not a bad idea

ukemunga
04-11-2013, 02:58 AM
INLAY STICKERS FTW
http://ukeeku.com/2013/01/16/inlay-stickers-full-review/

Just say'n its not a bad idea

Might be some interesting possibilities there. What got me to thinking about personalization is UWC. Was thinking if a handful (or more) had their outdoor ukes and happened to set them down in a group, how would anyone know who's is who's? I know not gonna happen but just made me think they ARE all identical!

kvehe
04-11-2013, 04:15 AM
Inlay stickers - what a great idea. I may not end up using them, but I'll definitely order some (especially after reading the great review).

Chap
04-11-2013, 04:47 AM
UU stickers, of course!

OldePhart
04-11-2013, 08:06 AM

Fred

Wow...didn't think about that...that could be a deal breaker for me. See...usually personalizing my ukes happens kind of naturally - a tool gets away and leaves a distinctive mark from bridge to heel, or I knock over a 4' aluminum spirit level and knock a couple of lovely chips out of the top, etc. This polycarbonate will stand up to that kind of torture a little too well, I'm afraid. :biglaugh:

John

ksiegel
04-11-2013, 11:01 AM
I followed ukemunga's directions, and have upgraded the tuners to the Grovers - $24, no additional charges - it did recognize the prior order, and listed it as a modification to that order.

11 more days until it ships!

I hope it sounds reasonable - I'd love to be able to just leave a uke in the car!

-Kurt

Bob-in-Alberta
04-12-2013, 08:38 AM
10 days until they ship. I hope they are good. I'd like something that can handle my 25% humidity.

bnolsen
04-12-2013, 09:16 AM
10 days until they ship. I hope they are good. I'd like something that can handle my 25% humidity.

any laminate. You have awfully high humidity and very thick atmosphere :p

I'd be more concerned about getting burnt by a hot black ukulele (don't leave it in the sun!)

MatthewVanitas
04-15-2013, 07:19 PM
See...usually personalizing my ukes happens kind of naturally - a tool gets away and leaves a distinctive mark from bridge to heel, or I knock over a 4' aluminum spirit level and knock a couple of lovely chips out of the top, etc. This polycarbonate will stand up to that kind of torture a little too well, I'm afraid. :biglaugh:

I'm looking forward to some testing of the ruggedness. For a few years I've had a wooden sopranino I bought for $100 that I picked to be my "sacrificial uke" where I'd haul it around with me regardless of risk of damage.

It's fallen out of my car onto a gravel parking lot in Lafayette, Louisiana, which chipped off a corner of the headstock. Sat in the trunk of my car in the Texas sun. Had beer spilled on it a few times in bars in Virginia. The biggest mark is a nasty dent is from where I bumped it against a concrete traffic bollard outside the National Archives in Washington DC.

But now that there's a decently cheap all-plastic uke, I might retire the wooden one and start carrying the plastic one around when I'm out and about. Just need to drill a bit of a hole for a lanyard or something into the top of the headstock so I can put a lanyard on it for lashing to bicycle handlebars, or onto the back grab-bar of my motorcycle. That and find somewhere to engrave my cell# on it in case I forget and leave it in a pub somewhere.

I know it's more expensive than a Mahalo, and I wouldn't normally subject a Mahalo to such abuse, but somehow the "Outdoor" moniker just seems like a personal challenge to test its limits.

TaoJones1066
04-20-2013, 07:49 AM
The website moved the ship date to the 25th.

bnolsen
04-20-2013, 07:54 AM
The website moved the ship date to the 25th.

The molders must be having a hard time with that big body piece.

Hiddencross
04-22-2013, 07:12 AM
Like others here, I am waiting to hear the informed reviews of UU users. (I feel like I just stuttered).

bborzell
04-23-2013, 08:39 PM
Looks like the last component is still delayed. The new ship timeframe appears to be the week of the 29th.

ukemunga
04-24-2013, 02:27 AM
Looks like the last component is still delayed. The new ship timeframe appears to be the week of the 29th.

Good things come to those who wait...

I hope!

UkeKiddinMe
04-24-2013, 01:35 PM
Bummer. I'm not getting one, and I'm still looking forward to hearing everyone report in when these babies ship.

ukemunga
04-24-2013, 04:31 PM
You know, you've really got to give a Scott and others like him a lot of credit. It takes incredible amount of drive, talent, time and effort to research and start a venture of this magnitude. There are so many different disciplines, abilities and capabilities involved. Not to mention the capital in both dollars and time.

From my perspective the elapsed time from initial Kickstarter project to the realization of an actual product with tangible results has progressed rapidly and relatively hiccup-free in an amazing amount of time. And, with upfront and continuing communication about the progress and process.

What's a few more days? Still can't wait to check this bad boy out!

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
04-24-2013, 05:01 PM
Y'all know the old saying: "Patience is rewarded with a plastic ukulele."

Uncle Rod Higuchi
04-26-2013, 10:02 AM
Oh, is that how the saying goes? :)

Anyway, next week... right?

Can't wait, can't wait!

Worth it, I'm sure :)

keep uke'in',

OldePhart
04-26-2013, 11:02 AM
Y'all know the old saying: "Patience is rewarded with a plastic ukulele."

Well...in that case I should get mine first. I have so much patience that I decided that I would wait to order one until the reviews start trickling in. That makes me more patient than y'all, right? So my patience should be rewarded, right?

John

iDavid
04-26-2013, 12:24 PM
I'm waiting for the reviews as well. The weather is crazy here in Northern Japan and Plastic uke would be great for trips. I am just not sure sure it will sound much better than a Dolphin. I hope it does.

beautifulsoup
04-26-2013, 05:09 PM
Count me in as one who is waiting for reviews, as well. :)

bborzell
04-26-2013, 05:29 PM
I heard that early adopters have banded together and agreed not to reveal any info on these ukes just so the "wait and see" folks will have to #%£Ä or get off the pot.:cool:

ukemunga
04-27-2013, 01:25 AM
I heard that early adopters have banded together and agreed not to reveal any info on these ukes just so the "wait and see" folks will have to #%£€ or get off the pot.:cool:

Outdoor Ukulele? What's that... someone's making a plastic uke? Nah, just one of those outlandish internet rumors. Nothing to see here...

bborzell
04-28-2013, 08:35 AM
Just got my Amex bill and noticed that I was charged for my Outdoor Uke on the day I ordered it (4/6). Seemed a bit odd as the protocol I am used to for production products is to hold up on actual charge until the item ships. Oh well, I am sure that I will forgive and forget on the day it arrives.

SailingUke
04-28-2013, 10:46 AM
Just got my Amex bill and noticed that I was charged for my Outdoor Uke on the day I ordered it (4/6). Seemed a bit odd as the protocol I am used to for production products is to hold up on actual charge until the item ships. Oh well, I am sure that I will forgive and forget on the day it arrives.

I believe that is proper protocol, it may also be the law in some States.
In today's interest rate climate having my money held by someone is NOT a big concern to me.
I do wish they were a little more proactive about when they might ship. I don't see any updates on either FB or their website.
If it were me I would post something on FB everyday, just for the folks that trusted me with a purchase would know what was going on.
I fully understand the delay is out of their control, but some regular updates would be very nice and reassuring.

Bob-in-Alberta
04-28-2013, 03:20 PM
They had an update on their Facebook page on April 23 that there was a delay in receiving the last part and that they were hoping to ship finished product early next week. Personally I would rather have them concentrate on putting ukes together than spend some of their time giving us daily updates and telling people numerous times that the price is $100 and they only come in black (so far).

nobodyspecial
04-28-2013, 06:23 PM
For those that ordered one, I'm still in the "maybe" phase
did you "upgrade" the tuner and strings?

If this turns out to be as tough as it sounds
I may need to order some for the preschool I work at

If it can survive at least a year at the preschool I work at, then I know it's tough :D

gitarzan
04-29-2013, 02:29 AM
I sense the mood is souring. When they do finally ship, the recipients will likely look at it with a much more critical eye than if it shipped on time.

kvehe
04-29-2013, 04:11 AM
Man, is that the truth. I really don't need any more plastic ukes. I really don't need any more ukes, period. I'm already mulling over canceling a pre-order from another seller, and this one is not far behind.

Although I must say that I never, ever believe a shipping date announced in advance. If the product makes it on the appointed date, it's a bonus. (See Ukulele Exercises for Dummies. [As a bad example, not a good one.])

SailingUke
04-29-2013, 04:46 AM
I am not soured, I just think a web update would be nice.
It only takes a few minutes to post a FB comment.
I am sure it is quicker than answering many individual emails and/or phone calls.

PBandChelly
04-29-2013, 05:54 AM
Man, when they took off any kind of expected shipping date, I had assumed that was a good sign. I was hoping they had gotten it all in stock. It really bothers me that they don't say anywhere on the website that they aren't actually done yet. Although its not entirely because of the delays, my UAS focus has drifted elsewhere. Best of luck to those who preordered!

bnolsen
04-29-2013, 06:04 AM
Have patience? The frustration is the same for lots of stuff. raspberry pi promised a november delivery originally and only started taking orders last day of feb the next year and didn't start shipping until at least a month later. the recent ouya has some delays and people were mad about that as well. With how fast electronics go out of date I can understand getting mad about a 6 month delay, but a few days? Come on!

The only other way to handle a new product launch is for a company to advertise *nothing* about what's going on until the last second, then announce it while it's ready to ship. Or better yet promise absolutely nothing to anyone and just post occasional updates. Perhaps ignorance is bliss?

Gadzukes!
04-29-2013, 06:08 AM
I've backed Kickstarter projects in the past, and things always seem to go slower than expected. It's a complicated process, and it's usually being handled by someone who hasn't done it before. Patience is the key. Remember to relax—it's a ukulele!

bborzell
04-29-2013, 08:17 AM
It's easy to tell people to be patient. It's actually more effective for the folks who charged credit cards long before shipping to keep th people whose cards have been charged informed. Last update on facebook was The 23rd, nearly a week ago. I can see giving people slack for a parts delay, but going silent for a week is a bit much.

Freeda
04-29-2013, 10:19 AM
He just said on FB that they are running about ten days behind schedule.

Hope that helps.

ukeeku
04-29-2013, 10:21 AM
He just said on FB that they are running about ten days behind schedule.

Hope that helps.
1-30 are built, so...
I am #19 and hoping to see it this week before my Saturday jam

Sporin
04-29-2013, 10:33 AM
They posted an 11 second video on their Facebook page, quite out of tune so you won't learn much.

https://www.facebook.com/OutdoorUkulele?fref=ts

I'm definitely in wait-and-see mode on this one.

kvehe
04-29-2013, 10:36 AM
Just heard the 10-second sound sample. hmmmmm..........

bnolsen
04-29-2013, 10:58 AM
huh? what, where? just checked and don't see those comments or the videos about the first manufactured sets.

Btw I've become totally convinced that facebook is absolutely the wrong vehicle to use for this type product. Well, it's wrong to use for publicity. They'd be better off with a blog for their announcements, etc.

Sporin
04-29-2013, 11:07 AM
Top post on their Facebook page...

Sporin
04-29-2013, 11:08 AM
It looks like they deleted the post with the video, most of the comments were not kind.

kvehe
04-29-2013, 11:10 AM
They seem to have removed it (because of the way it sounded perhaps????). It was ten seconds of a guy in a green shirt strumming the open strings. The text said that they were assembling # 1 - 30 this afternoon. Now there's a still shot of four on a workbench, the video is gone, and it says that they'll "try another video tomorrow".

We're a tough crowd. :)

Add - There were comments? Now there's only one, and it is a happy comment.

bnolsen
04-29-2013, 11:15 AM
ahh we're in the realtime updates mode! If someone strung one fresh with monofilament and tried to play it I'm sure it would be disastrous.

kvehe
04-29-2013, 11:17 AM
Yes, it was.

haolejohn
04-29-2013, 11:26 AM
personally I am excited and patient. It will arrive when it arrives. I am debating changing my shipping address to the summer home???

bnolsen
04-29-2013, 12:04 PM
personally I am excited and patient. It will arrive when it arrives. I am debating changing my shipping address to the summer home???

can i suggest another shipping address? :cool:

Uncle Rod Higuchi
04-29-2013, 12:12 PM
I'm #30, so I'm excited... but patient. [after all, what can I do? it is what it is. it will come when it comes.]

I think I ordered extra sets of strings by mistake... so I'll chalk it up to supporting the effort.

I hope, with all the UU string experimenters out there, we'll get a good idea as to which/what strings to put on our Outdoor Ukes. I'm looking for a mellower sound... but considering that I don't know what it will really sound like, here's hoping that it sounds better than just OK. I should be happy with that :)

keep uke'in',

gitarzan
04-29-2013, 12:18 PM
I'm # 35, so maybe mine will have its birthday tomorrow, huh?

:drool: Looking forward to getting it!

UkeKiddinMe
04-29-2013, 01:08 PM
If they really glued one together, slapped strings on it, and went to video - that wouldn't have been a good idea. :)

Gonna be interesting.

bnolsen
04-29-2013, 01:10 PM
The best option would have been to transfer strings from an already tuned up ukulele to one of the production models. That would seriously have cut down on stretch time. Oh well, hopefully we see some cool videos soon!

Skinny Money McGee
04-30-2013, 05:12 AM
Anybody received one yet? I though they were shipping on April 20th or so.

kvehe
04-30-2013, 05:39 AM
Nope. They had a delay in receiving one part, and so the latest word was that shipping would be this week. Yesterday they briefly posted a video on Facebook, and said that they were assembling # 1 - 30 that afternoon. Then they removed the video and said they'd try again today.

As of now, the same info is on FB, but now there are many comments from eager ukers.

bnolsen
04-30-2013, 06:16 AM
btw did anyone happen to "rip" that video when it was still available?

teruterubouzu
04-30-2013, 06:33 AM
If they really glued one together, slapped strings on it, and went to video - that wouldn't have been a good idea. :)

Gonna be interesting.

That's pretty much what they did. I think they were just overly eager to share and didn't think it through.

drbekken
04-30-2013, 06:40 AM
This is probably one of the strangest threads on the UU forum. Now I know what UAS can really do to a person.

kvehe
04-30-2013, 06:48 AM
(1) You haven't seen "strange" until you've read two or three threads involving an older gentleman who was banned last year. :D I do agree, though, that this is right up there.

(2) Yes, it is quite debilitating.

Freeda
04-30-2013, 07:08 AM
What's strange about it?

Paul December
04-30-2013, 07:11 AM
What's strange about it?

If you have to ask... :D

dav_9
04-30-2013, 07:33 AM
Now I'm curious too... lol

Freeda
04-30-2013, 07:35 AM
Maybe I just don't see the symptoms anymore...

mketom
04-30-2013, 08:02 AM
You are paying the price of being an "early adopter".
As someone who designs injection-molded plastic things I understand delays that are out of the control of any one person. It's a science that requires a lot of adjusting to get right. If the Outdoor Ukulele people are assembling first parts then they are almost "there". For the price you should expect some delays and unmet expectations on the first ones.

Hopefully by #308 all theses issues will have been solved :)

P.S. I waited ~6 months for my Mya-Moe and was still delighted when it was finished a couple days early...

blender
04-30-2013, 08:32 AM
You are paying the price of being an "early adopter".

I certainly don't mind being #108 on the list. My thoughts are everything will be a bit farther along the learning curve...

PBandChelly
04-30-2013, 11:45 AM
I was quite happy to see the update yesterday! Doing a video may have been a hasty choice, but I kind of appreciate that they were that enthusiastic to show people. I'm excited to see another video after the glue's dry and the strings are settled. My irritation was with the lack of communication, not the delay in general, so I'm pleased. Still gonna wait, but that's more Mainland's fault than theirs.

bborzell
04-30-2013, 12:20 PM
I was quite happy to see the update yesterday! Doing a video may have been a hasty choice, but I kind of appreciate that they were that enthusiastic to show people. I'm excited to see another video after the glue's dry and the strings are settled. My irritation was with the lack of communication, not the delay in general, so I'm pleased. Still gonna wait, but that's more Mainland's fault than theirs.

Uhhh... Mainland?

PBandChelly
04-30-2013, 12:31 PM
Uhhh... Mainland?

CRAP! I should have clarified in my post. It's Mainland's fault because I'm reserving my uke fund for a red cedar tenor of theirs, leaving no money for a Outdoor Uke right now.

ukemunga
04-30-2013, 01:42 PM
I'm curious to know if anyone who owns a standard issue soprano Flea has ordered the Outdoor Uke.

I can't wait for the first side-by-side comparison of the two.

surfink
04-30-2013, 01:51 PM
I will be glad to compare when I receive mine..

ukemunga
04-30-2013, 02:01 PM
I will be glad to compare when I receive mine..

Cool. Thanks!!!

kvehe
04-30-2013, 02:01 PM
So will I.

ukemunga
04-30-2013, 02:10 PM
So will I.

Thanks! It's getting interesting in here again...

ukeeku
04-30-2013, 03:33 PM
I have decided that I am going to put my logo on the space after the last fret. I have to get some cut vinyl for other things and I will have them cut me a small Ukeeku.com logo so I know which is mine at UWC

ukemunga
04-30-2013, 03:35 PM
I have decided that I am going to put my logo on the space after the last fret. I have to get some cut vinyl for other things and I will have them cut me a small Ukeeku.com logo so I know which is mine at UWC

That's a great idea. Perfect space for it!

bborzell
04-30-2013, 06:14 PM
CRAP! I should have clarified in my post. It's Mainland's fault because I'm reserving my uke fund for a red cedar tenor of theirs, leaving no money for a Outdoor Uke right now.

Ahah! Ahah! The second Ahah was because the first Ahah was too short for the character monitor.

Paul December
05-01-2013, 07:07 AM
:cool: I guess I'm the 1st one to receive theirs!
...Initial impressions are it is well finished, but a bit smaller than I expected.

OldePhart
05-01-2013, 07:15 AM
...Initial impressions are it is well finished, but a bit smaller than I expected.

But...how does it sound...

ksiegel
05-01-2013, 07:21 AM

Did it come with the Aquila Tissue Paper, or did you use the standard issue stuff?

-Kurt

ukemunga
05-01-2013, 07:49 AM

We're gonna get you for that! :shaka:

nobodyspecial
05-01-2013, 08:31 AM
This is going to sound dumb, but looking at the pictures, it seems that the nut and bridge are part of the body instead of attached to it.

what are the chances if the uke needs the bridge and/or nut adjusted, how hard would it be to do it?

gitarzan
05-01-2013, 08:42 AM
Do you actually expect less than perfection?

bborzell
05-01-2013, 08:46 AM
This is going to sound dumb, but looking at the pictures, it seems that the nut and bridge are part of the body instead of attached to it.

what are the chances if the uke needs the bridge and/or nut adjusted, how hard would it be to do it?

One of the most prevalent reasons why stringed instruments need nut or bridge adjustments is wood movement subsequent to the original setup. Polycarbonate movement has yet to surface as a similar issue.

angrygnome
05-01-2013, 10:46 AM
Just got this in my email:

Your order from Outdoor Ukulele has been shipped!

Woot!

Uncle Rod Higuchi
05-01-2013, 10:50 AM
Very interesting. I didn't realize that was the reason (or part of the reason) for the need for adjustments on wooden ukes.

Neat

keep uke'in',

bnolsen
05-01-2013, 11:10 AM
I thought bridge/nut adjustment was required due to poor manufacturing standards? I would hope any wood "shifting" would be within the "noise level" of a string change.

Anyways, it looks like the bridge is a separately manufactured part that's fused to the top via their industrial solvent. The nut is integrated. I really like how the fluke/flea zero fret is done, I wonder if they have some patent on that?

I haven't gotten my notification yet, they must be going really slow.

kvehe
05-01-2013, 11:13 AM
I just saw my email notification, sent about 40 minutes ago. My order # 15 is on its way via USPS. Yippee!!!!!

bgrif
05-01-2013, 11:26 AM
Still waiting in great anticipation. The photos look very interesting.

rocko
05-01-2013, 11:33 AM
Facebook update reports first ukuleles shipping out today, hope to send the first 100 ordered by Friday.

bnolsen
05-01-2013, 12:14 PM
No notification yet at #20 here. Of course I could have been "denied".

naturelover
05-01-2013, 12:21 PM
Oops, thought I was replying to another post that already had their questions answered :)

I'm #144 and I can't wait to take it backpacking! As long as it plays I'll be a very happy camper (haha) with a uke wherever I go!

dav_9
05-01-2013, 01:30 PM
Can't wait to see and hear the first reviews of these ukuleles. I wonder what string set would compliment it best?

angrygnome
05-01-2013, 02:11 PM
No notification yet at #20 here. Of course I could have been "denied".

I was order #10 and received my shipping confirmation at about 4:30PM EST today. So... hopefully you should see something soon. :)

ukemunga
05-01-2013, 02:15 PM
I'm guessing 15 went out today, Of couse I'm #16.

bborzell
05-01-2013, 02:26 PM
I'm guessing 15 went out today, Of couse I'm #16.

I wouldn't have guessed from your avatar photo.

ukemunga
05-01-2013, 02:51 PM
I wouldn't have guessed from your avatar photo.

I had to think about that for a while... I assume you mean I don't look like the 16th OU? Laughing while I type this.

Then again, I may be #16. Amazing what you can do in Photoshop. Polycarbonate ukes are not all like Henry's Model T. Some of us have a quite different self-image we want to project. :o

bborzell
05-01-2013, 03:05 PM
I'm 191 and I don't at all feel like it.

kvehe
05-02-2013, 04:44 AM
According to the USPS website, mine will be delivered on Saturday.

Macmuse
05-02-2013, 05:25 AM
According to the USPS website, mine will be delivered on Saturday.

Hopefully their tracking of your uke will be more accurate than the last few packages I've had with tracking... as I'm really looking forward to your take on this one. :)

kvehe
05-02-2013, 05:32 AM
True. The last time I had one with USPS tracking, it came the day after it was supposed to, although it usually works well....and I was supposed to have a UPS shipment yesterday that is now coming today (I hope).

nobodyspecial
05-02-2013, 08:35 AM
Do you actually expect less than perfection?

expect perfection?
nah
mistakes happens

and just wondering how hard it would be to fix the problem, if there is a problem

but i'm glad i asked otherwise i wouldn't have found out this information

One of the most prevalent reasons why stringed instruments need nut or bridge adjustments is wood movement subsequent to the original setup. Polycarbonate movement has yet to surface as a similar issue.

UkeKiddinMe
05-02-2013, 01:32 PM
We're less than a week away from the first hands on reviews.
Kewl.

Paul December
05-02-2013, 03:53 PM
Kewl.

How many weeks until the first "For Sale" post? :D

bborzell
05-02-2013, 04:13 PM
Kewl.

Where is it written that someone has to have one in their hands in order to review it?

ukeeku
05-02-2013, 04:17 PM
Where is it written that someone has to have one in their hands in order to review it?

So true. Did you see how awesome the prototype was in the video? and how the build looks?
By looking it it I can tell you that it is a perfect uke and EVERYBODY should have one.
I mean, why do you need an actual one when all the info on how awesome they are is right online?

I am #19 BTW, really excited to play it

kvehe
05-03-2013, 04:02 AM
It's apparently going to be (double!) NUD! According to the USPS website, my order # 15 is out for delivery today (waiting for the white truck with red and blue trim [and for the brown truck, too]).

UkeKiddinMe
05-03-2013, 04:18 AM
It's apparently going to be (double!) NUD! According to the USPS website, my order # 15 is out for delivery today (waiting for the white truck with red and blue trim [and for the brown truck, too]).

Outstanding. Are you ready to post pics? And soundclips?

:D

kvehe
05-03-2013, 04:20 AM
Pics, yes; soundclips, unfortunately probably not (or more accurately, "no" :().

ickybaby
05-03-2013, 05:20 AM
We should have an over/under on this. I'm going to say before June 12th.

How many weeks until the first "For Sale" post? :D

nobodyspecial
05-03-2013, 06:40 AM

I've seen "NUD" before here, does it mean "New Ukelele Day"?

ukemunga
05-03-2013, 06:53 AM

Right on the money!

angrygnome
05-03-2013, 07:46 AM
Woot! Order #10 has been delivered! But I am at work and have more stuff to do after work... so I probably won't get to play with it until after 8PM EST. :-(

kvehe
05-03-2013, 07:55 AM

...and then if you want to really shock people, there's "NUDE" - New Ukulele Day Excitement :D:D

UkeKiddinMe
05-03-2013, 09:03 AM
I vote for NUDE. :D

dav_9
05-03-2013, 09:12 AM
Extended lunch break! We want to see it :D

UkeKiddinMe
05-03-2013, 09:14 AM
Yeah - you people with boxes at your door - ya gotta take some vacation hours from work, get the heck out of there,
get the box open, and start strumming - and writing. :)

kvehe
05-03-2013, 09:20 AM
I just checked and it still says mine is out for delivery....I hope to be able to swing past my house in no more than two hours, but then have to go two other places before I can settle down for the evening.....

UncleMoon
05-03-2013, 10:36 AM
[[cough... cough...]] you don't sound too good, maybe you should leave early.