Anyone own or play a Santa Cruz tenor uke?

Eyeguy

Reaction score
These Santa Cruz ukes are apparently rare birds with a Google search bringing up a grand total of zero, zip, nada for sale anywhere.

Anyone have experience owning or playing one?

Last edited:
These Santa Cruz ukes are apparently rare birds with a Google search bring up a grand total of zero, zip, nada for sale anywhere.

Compass rose are great rich deep sounding ukes worth every penny. Andrew and I have a few coming really soon but they are available from a few specific west coast stores

I had a santa cruz mahogany concert--I am confident that it was the greatest mahogany concert on the planet. It was that good

These Santa Cruz ukes are apparently rare birds with a Google search bring up a grand total of zero, zip, nada for sale anywhere.

MrEWorm, Thanks for the inventory list - checked each site that listed a Santa Cruz uke - none showed up, although some may be on order or already gone.

syfc, Why did you get rid of yours, if you don't mind me asking. (Not that I haven't parted with guitars I shouldn't have)

Of course the problem is...as stated by Kenny Hill, a great classical guitar maker..."Ukuleles are worth half the money for three quarters of the work of a guitar..."

Hence you see not too many SCGC...or Larivee...ukes on the market.

I'm still trying to figure it out!

I had a mahogany concert for a short period of time. The Fit and finish was excellent and the sound was awesome. I only got rid of it because it was concert scale and I prefer the tenor.

MrEWorm, Thanks for the inventory list - checked each site that listed a Santa Cruz uke - none showed up, although some may be on order or already gone.

syfc, Why did you get rid of yours, if you don't mind me asking. (Not that I haven't parted with guitars I shouldn't have)

I would call the dealers that have listed inventory.

Of course the problem is...as stated by Kenny Hill, a great classical guitar maker..."Ukuleles are worth half the money for three quarters of the work of a guitar..."

Hence you see not too many SCGC...or Larivee...ukes on the market.

I'm still trying to figure it out!

Not your ukuleles Rick. In my opinion, Rick Turner fans would pay more than the modest prices you're currently charging. Gryphon can not keep Compass Rose ukuleles in stock and that suggests you may have room to raise prices for the ones Gryphon sell at least. I just bought a Compass Rose from The Blue Guitar because Gryphon was out of stock. It was a steal, but I only feel a little guilty.

Best regards,

Don

Last edited:
Compass rose are great rich deep sounding ukes worth every penny. Andrew and I have a few coming really soon but they are available from a few specific west coast stores

Freudian slip right? But you should have Compass Rose ukuleles!

Hey stop that raising the prices Don....We appreciate Rick giving us poor folks a break.....:)

I try not to get too attached to any of my stuff, and I like to try new things. Also, if it was a tenor, I would have kept it. I may get crucified for saying this, but it was close to Moore Bettah level.

Glad to have let another UU try it out--he agreed it is amazing (don't know if they're still as good, but this one was unbelievable)

Last edited:
Somebody better get on this quick. Seriously!

Before buying syfc's SCGC concert (thanks again, syfc :D), I emailed acoustic vibes music with a question about the one they have for sale. Their response, in part was, "This is the last SC uke I will be getting They are not making them any more. It is really beautiful"

I played the Santa Cruz and a matte finish Walnut sunburst Compass Rose as well as a couple of Martins at Acoustic Vibe in Phoenix when we were down there in February. They were lovely instruments and the Compass Rose had a beautiful mellow tone. The store itself and the proprietor were first class all the way to be sure.

I went with a wad of cash burning a hole in my pocket and though I have a history of knowing the benefits of retail therapy I resisited temptation. I decided that I needed to learn to play the ukulele I have now before moving up. Mine if just a Fender tenor Nohea but after I put a set of Living Water strings tuned low g on it I must admit that I love it's sound. Understand I am not suggesting mine is in the class of these fine instruments I just really like it's feel and sound. I've been playing a lot over this long Canadian winter and expect that when improve enough I will be looking for a custom ukulele, hopefully by then I'll no better what I desire.

Not your ukuleles Rick. In my opinion, Rick Turner fans would pay more than the modest prices you're currently charging. Gryphon can not keep Compass Rose ukuleles in stock and that suggests you may have room to raise prices for the ones Gryphon sell at least. I just bought a Compass Rose from The Blue Guitar because Gryphon was out of stock. It was a steal, but I only feel a little guilty.

Best regards,

Don

Hey Don
I used to love to go to Gryphon in Palo Alto when I lived there..if I got there in time I played most of the new CRs that were there..but the last 2 or 3 batches by the time I got there many of them were already sold..

now Mark(mds725) has taken my job as the Gryphon tester..(good fun right?) Lol

but I am happy to hear The Ukulele Site(aka HMS) will have them at the shop..maybe if I get there in time I can see the new CRs..kind of funny about same driving distance to HMS as Gryphon was in Calif..

Last edited:
I was at SCGC last year, picking up my guitar after some repairs, and I asked about their ukes. Richard said that it's something they only do on the side, and may not do much anymore. That's probably why there aren't that many out there. If you see one out in the wild, I'd say grab it. You can always sell it off if you don't like it.

I played one of them at Fazio's in St. Louis the last time I went in there...it was fantastic. It was almost too good...Santa Cruz makes some wonderful instruments but I typically like an instrument a little more when it has a little bit of character to it's own. I find the same issue with Taylor and Collings instruments...they're beautiful and sound amazing but for whatever reason I'd rather play something that had maybe a little less nice a finish, or something that had a tiny knot in the top wood. Just my personal preference.

It sounded and felt like what the most immaculate Martin must have felt and sounded like when it came out of the factory in the 30's. Maybe they just need a few more years on the shelf or in your hands to become that little bit more special.

Top Bottom