Thermo-formed 6 string uke

Livetosculpt

Reaction score
We made it through all of the major holidays in the chocolate business, so I'm just finishing my abs bodied 6 string. Should be complete by the weekend.

thermoform1.jpgThermoform2.jpgThermoform3.jpgThermoform4.jpgThermoform5.jpgThe body is my design, and thermo-formed on my thermo former, it has an 18.5" scale length, wide neck for finger style playing, and spruce top. I've attached progress pictures. I'm sculpting a larger body for a small 6 string guitar next.

We made it through all of the major holidays in the chocolate business, so I'm just finishing my abs bodied 6 string. Should be complete by the weekend.

View attachment 51361View attachment 51362View attachment 51363View attachment 51364View attachment 51365The body is my design, and thermo-formed on my thermo former, it has an 18.5" scale length, wide neck for finger style playing, and spruce top. I've attached progress pictures. I'm sculpting a larger body for a small 6 string guitar next.

Wow - it is beautiful! That body shape is very similar to something I've been working on for the last month or so. My daughter dubbed the design the "skew-kulele" because I started with the Hana Lima Ia body shape and "skewed" it to get that shape - mine will be traditional solid wood builds, though - your thermoformed body is really beautiful!

very innovative!

Looks great.

Going into production in the future?

keep uke'in' (and innovating),

very innovative!

Looks great.

Going into production in the future?

keep uke'in' (and innovating),

I've been struggling with going into production or not. I have other business obligations, and if I do go into production, I'd want to do it right. I might just offer the thermo formed bodies for sale for others to build up, and keep adding shapes and sizes to the line. They are fun to build, they sound great, and have unlimited creative potential paint-wise.

Wow - it is beautiful! That body shape is very similar to something I've been working on for the last month or so. My daughter dubbed the design the "skew-kulele" because I started with the Hana Lima Ia body shape and "skewed" it to get that shape - mine will be traditional solid wood builds, though - your thermoformed body is really beautiful!
I'd love to see an image of the uke you're building. My last one using this shape was all wood.

Definitely would be interested in hearing more about the bodies if they come up for sale......

Looking REALLY nice :D
I have to build a tool to trim the excess off, then I'll probably start selling them. Also need to put together a small pamphlet on assembly, best adhesive to use, etc.

I love the look of this Uke - I'm impressed by the back of the head too. So what s the body made of? Is it a kind of plastic fibre something like the Ovations?

PS Do you plan to string it like a Guitarlele or a six-string Uke (some doubled strings)?

I love the look of this Uke - I'm impressed by the back of the head too. So what s the body made of? Is it a kind of plastic fibre something like the Ovations?

PS Do you plan to string it like a Guitarlele or a six-string Uke (some doubled strings)?

its abs plastic. pretty tough stuff! takes paint beautifully, and sounds really good acoustically. this will be adgcea. these can be 4 or 6 strings, although I built this neck for 6.

Looks great Livetosculpt!
For others interested, here's a wiki article I found about the properties of ABS plastic:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrylonitrile_butadiene_styrene

It says it's very tough as you say - tougher than regular Styrene which I believe
the old Maccaferri instruments were made with. Would you be able to tell us
a bit more about the composition of ABS you are using and perhaps show photos of the
process of forming the plastic over the
mold? Do you make the positive for the mold in clay and
then make a more durable positive?
The fancy carving on the headstock back is inspiring.
Thank you and all the best!
Tomas

mold.jpgthermoformer.jpg
Looks great Livetosculpt!
For others interested, here's a wiki article I found about the properties of ABS plastic:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrylonitrile_butadiene_styrene

It says it's very tough as you say - tougher than regular Styrene which I believe
the old Maccaferri instruments were made with. Would you be able to tell us
a bit more about the composition of ABS you are using and perhaps show photos of the
process of forming the plastic over the
mold? Do you make the positive for the mold in clay and
then make a more durable positive?
The fancy carving on the headstock back is inspiring.
Thank you and all the best!
Tomas

I'll take some photos of the process today and post them.

Here's the machine and the mold.

Last edited:
Top Bottom