New Uke Day - Compass Rose!

mds725

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Although I recently bought a Compass Rose walnut tenor, I've been looking for a Compass Rose with the mini-jumbo body that Rick has been building recently. Last week, I found a mahogany tenor mini-jumbo at The Blue Guitar in San Diego, and the ukulele arrived yesterday. It's basic, without binding or bling, but the mahogany is really nice and the sound is wonderful - full, resonant, and a little harp-like. The only issue with it, other than the strings needing to settle, is a rough area in the finish along the back of the ukulele - not visible to the eye, but the texture of the surface is a little different.

Here are some photos:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

You are killing me Mark..
I was just joking when I said a while back,,who will have the most CRs..but you still got P.Burnight ahead of you,but I am not going to bet against you

by the time you come visit Stan and me HMS will have some CRs for you out here .. Lol

congrats on the beautiful CR again!
are you ever going to say how many ukes you have now? I can not wait to go ukulele shopping with you on Oahu..i will take you to all the shops and factories

do you like fine watches too?

I might be satisfied with all of my new orders now..

Last edited:
Aloha Mark,
Holy Crapolas bruddah......you bought another uke....Congratulations....where are you gonna store all these ukes....so happy you found this mahogany one
have fun and enjoy....happy strummings.... you might have more ukes than me now.... :)

Aloha Mark,
Holy Crapolas bruddah......you bought another uke....Congratulations....where are you gonna store all these ukes....so happy you found this mahogany one
have fun and enjoy....happy strummings.... you might have more ukes than me now.... :)

Stan..

Mark might have to send um to us,,I got room how about you..and Mark I won't play um I just store um for you ..Hehe

Nice score!!

I'm surprised you didn't snatch up that Santa Cruz too :)

Congratulations on your new Compass Rose! It would be interesting to hear your opinions between the two.

Great buy!! I think if I buy a CR, I'm gonna go retail production vs. custom cuz I couldn't stand the wait. I guess you couldn't stand the wait either as you still have a custom bari coming in!! LOL

Gonna have a new uke week once your baritone 6 string from Mya Moe arrives, Mark. Even though they are built using different materials, I'm curious if you can attribute any differences in your CRs based on the 12 and 14 fret joins. Congrats on your new uke!

:drool: Yowza! Yowza! Congratulations!

Congratulations on a wonderful acquisition - that is super. You're going to have a terrific week.

Last edited:
Mark, I got my CR walnut tenor last Friday.. have a tough time putting it down.... enjoy your new little friend!

Congratulations on your new Compass Rose! It would be interesting to hear your opinions between the two.

Congratulations on your new Compass Rose!
I would also like it if you would be so kind as to share your thoughts on the comparison between the Mini-Jumbo and the more familiar style Compass Rose uke.

Last edited:
Congratulations! Nice additions to the stable. It's nice to see the two side by side. Will be interested to hear what you think of the different design. Will either be making a debut on Sunday?

do you like fine watches too?

I've been wearing this as my dress watch since about 1990.

attachment.php

It's made by Movado, but it was relatively inexpensive, sort of like the Koalana version of a KoAloha, or like a Pono is to a Ko'olau. Movado spun off this sub-brand under the name ESQ. in the early 90s.

Congratulations on your new Compass Rose!
I would also like it if you would be so kind as to share your thoughts on the comparison between the Mini-Jumbo and the more familiar style Compass Rose uke.

Thanks for all the well wishes. The wood is really beautiful, and my photos don't do it justice. I haven't been able to assess the sound that much because the strings are still settling, but so far I'd say the mini jumbo is quieter than my other CR. I'm not sure how much the tonewood (mahogany mini jumbo vs. walnut regular design) makes a difference because this is the first mini jumbo I've played, but I remember comparing a mahogany CR to a sprucetop CR once, and the sprucetop was louder. I'm also not crazy about the strings. I may swap them out for Worth low g nonwound, or Living Water or PhD strings. The mini jumbo has a bell-like sound that I really like.

Will either be making a debut on Sunday?

I'm brining my Kamaka tenor to the festival on Sunday. It has a sound that feels more appropriate for Hawaiian music. I hope to see you guys there. You should be on the lookout for other people in UU clothing.

...I'm brining my Kamaka tenor to the festival on Sunday. It has a sound that feels more appropriate for Hawaiian music. I hope to see you guys there. You should be on the lookout for other people in UU clothing.

I don't have UU clothing, but I guess I could make a name tag with "UU" on it. What time is your group playing, Mark?

I don't have UU clothing, but I guess I could make a name tag with "UU" on it. What time is your group playing, Mark?

At the festival, Aloha Warehouse is going to be giving free Ukulele Underground stickers to people who mention "ukulele underground" when they visit the Aloha Warehouse booth.

My groups are playing from 1:00 to 1:10 (the Kapalakiko Hawaiian Music Workshop Band) and from 4:20 to 4:30 (the J-Town Hui), which means I'll be spending most of the festival backstage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom