PDA

View Full Version : New Uke Day - Compass Rose!

mds725
04-04-2013, 10:15 AM
Although I recently bought a Compass Rose walnut tenor, I've been looking for a Compass Rose with the mini-jumbo body that Rick has been building recently. Last week, I found a mahogany tenor mini-jumbo at The Blue Guitar in San Diego, and the ukulele arrived yesterday. It's basic, without binding or bling, but the mahogany is really nice and the sound is wonderful - full, resonant, and a little harp-like. The only issue with it, other than the strings needing to settle, is a rough area in the finish along the back of the ukulele - not visible to the eye, but the texture of the surface is a little different.

Here are some photos:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=51398&d=1365106109

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=51396&d=1365106108

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=51401&d=1365106110

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=51402&d=1365106111

mds725
04-04-2013, 10:17 AM
A few more photos.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=51399&d=1365106109

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=51403&d=1365106111

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=51397&d=1365106108

hawaii 50
04-04-2013, 10:28 AM
You are killing me Mark..
I was just joking when I said a while back,,who will have the most CRs..but you still got P.Burnight ahead of you,but I am not going to bet against you

by the time you come visit Stan and me HMS will have some CRs for you out here .. Lol

congrats on the beautiful CR again!
are you ever going to say how many ukes you have now? I can not wait to go ukulele shopping with you on Oahu..i will take you to all the shops and factories

do you like fine watches too?

I might be satisfied with all of my new orders now..

mm stan
04-04-2013, 10:38 AM
Aloha Mark,
Holy Crapolas bruddah......you bought another uke....Congratulations....where are you gonna store all these ukes....so happy you found this mahogany one
have fun and enjoy....happy strummings.... you might have more ukes than me now.... :)

hawaii 50
04-04-2013, 10:40 AM
Aloha Mark,
Holy Crapolas bruddah......you bought another uke....Congratulations....where are you gonna store all these ukes....so happy you found this mahogany one
have fun and enjoy....happy strummings.... you might have more ukes than me now.... :)

Stan..

Mark might have to send um to us,,I got room how about you..and Mark I won't play um I just store um for you ..Hehe

caukulele
04-04-2013, 10:41 AM
Hey Mark, looks like you got another beauty. I totally agree with you that one Compass Rose is not enough! Congratulations!

gyosh
04-04-2013, 11:00 AM
Nice score!!

I'm surprised you didn't snatch up that Santa Cruz too :)

Newportlocal
04-04-2013, 11:01 AM
Congratulations on your new Compass Rose! It would be interesting to hear your opinions between the two.

Dan Uke
04-04-2013, 11:03 AM
Great buy!! I think if I buy a CR, I'm gonna go retail production vs. custom cuz I couldn't stand the wait. I guess you couldn't stand the wait either as you still have a custom bari coming in!! LOL

didgeridoo2
04-04-2013, 11:25 AM
Gonna have a new uke week once your baritone 6 string from Mya Moe arrives, Mark. Even though they are built using different materials, I'm curious if you can attribute any differences in your CRs based on the 12 and 14 fret joins. Congrats on your new uke!

Raygf
04-04-2013, 11:36 AM
:drool: Yowza! Yowza! Congratulations!

kvehe
04-04-2013, 11:37 AM
Congratulations on a wonderful acquisition - that is super. You're going to have a terrific week.

Hippie Dribble
04-04-2013, 12:39 PM
Big congrats on your new uke Mark.

Tailgate
04-04-2013, 12:46 PM
Mark, I got my CR walnut tenor last Friday.. have a tough time putting it down.... enjoy your new little friend!

GASguy
04-04-2013, 05:07 PM
Congratulations on your new Compass Rose! It would be interesting to hear your opinions between the two.

Congratulations on your new Compass Rose!
I would also like it if you would be so kind as to share your thoughts on the comparison between the Mini-Jumbo and the more familiar style Compass Rose uke.

wadleysf
04-04-2013, 05:50 PM
Congratulations! Nice additions to the stable. It's nice to see the two side by side. Will be interested to hear what you think of the different design. Will either be making a debut on Sunday?

mds725
04-04-2013, 08:14 PM
do you like fine watches too?

I've been wearing this as my dress watch since about 1990.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=51413&d=1365142251

It's made by Movado, but it was relatively inexpensive, sort of like the Koalana version of a KoAloha, or like a Pono is to a Ko'olau. Movado spun off this sub-brand under the name ESQ. in the early 90s.

mds725
04-04-2013, 08:26 PM
Congratulations on your new Compass Rose!
I would also like it if you would be so kind as to share your thoughts on the comparison between the Mini-Jumbo and the more familiar style Compass Rose uke.

Thanks for all the well wishes. The wood is really beautiful, and my photos don't do it justice. I haven't been able to assess the sound that much because the strings are still settling, but so far I'd say the mini jumbo is quieter than my other CR. I'm not sure how much the tonewood (mahogany mini jumbo vs. walnut regular design) makes a difference because this is the first mini jumbo I've played, but I remember comparing a mahogany CR to a sprucetop CR once, and the sprucetop was louder. I'm also not crazy about the strings. I may swap them out for Worth low g nonwound, or Living Water or PhD strings. The mini jumbo has a bell-like sound that I really like.

Will either be making a debut on Sunday?

I'm brining my Kamaka tenor to the festival on Sunday. It has a sound that feels more appropriate for Hawaiian music. I hope to see you guys there. You should be on the lookout for other people in UU clothing.

Gillian
04-04-2013, 08:35 PM
...I'm brining my Kamaka tenor to the festival on Sunday. It has a sound that feels more appropriate for Hawaiian music. I hope to see you guys there. You should be on the lookout for other people in UU clothing.

I don't have UU clothing, but I guess I could make a name tag with "UU" on it. What time is your group playing, Mark?

mds725
04-04-2013, 09:23 PM
I don't have UU clothing, but I guess I could make a name tag with "UU" on it. What time is your group playing, Mark?

At the festival, Aloha Warehouse is going to be giving free Ukulele Underground stickers to people who mention "ukulele underground" when they visit the Aloha Warehouse booth.

My groups are playing from 1:00 to 1:10 (the Kapalakiko Hawaiian Music Workshop Band) and from 4:20 to 4:30 (the J-Town Hui), which means I'll be spending most of the festival backstage.

hawaii 50
04-05-2013, 11:28 AM
Hey Mark you gots to upgrade that watch..lets go to the watch shops on Oahu and all the uke shops..sounds like fun..are you making it out for the Ukulele Festival in July?

mm stan
04-05-2013, 01:37 PM
Aloha Lenny,
You enabler you,..ha ha LOL You Know Mark has no hesitating factor when buying....

Dan Uke
04-05-2013, 01:41 PM
Hey Mark you gots to upgrade that watch..lets go to the watch shops on Oahu and all the uke shops..sounds like fun..are you making it out for the Ukulele Festival in July?

He should get a custom uke with a clock in it!

Sarah Maisel
04-05-2013, 01:44 PM
A few more photos.

WOW! What a beautiful uke! I have a Compass Rose also; they are awesome ukuleles!!!

bluesuke
04-05-2013, 01:47 PM
WOW! What a beautiful uke! I have a Compass Rose also; they are awesome ukuleles!!!

Welcome to UU Sarah. I really enjoyed your last video with Craig

mds725
04-05-2013, 02:04 PM

Hi Sarah,

Mahalo and welcome to UU! I think I've seen videos of you with your CR. I aspire to make mine sound even a fraction as nice as you make yours sound!

coolkayaker1
04-05-2013, 02:38 PM
Awesome ukulele, Mark. You are one Compass Rose fanatic, that's for sure.

Mmstan, when did you add that cartoon characature of Ron Jeremy to your signature line? That's rich.

Sarah...huge fan here. "You're a long way from home...welcome to the Pleasuredome!"
(Before young Sarah's time, but a pat on the back to the first person to tell me the group that recorded the song with that line)

Dan Uke
04-05-2013, 03:19 PM
Is it embarrassing to admit that I know who Ron Jeremy is...That's a good one!

coolkayaker1
04-05-2013, 06:40 PM

Yea, he was on Season Two of The Surreal Life on ABC-TV.

Why, where have you seen him?

Dan Uke
04-05-2013, 06:46 PM
Yea, he was on Season Two of The Surreal Life on ABC-TV.

Why, where have you seen him?

That's exactly where I saw him

mm stan
04-05-2013, 07:17 PM

Mmstan, when did you add that cartoon characature of Ron Jeremy to your signature line? That's rich.

Sarah...huge fan here. "You're a long way from home...welcome to the Pleasuredome!"
(Before young Sarah's time, but a pat on the back to the first person to tell me the group that recorded the song with that line)

Bad Bad Bad Boy:wtf::stop: terrorizing the forums again LOL :p Hey no pick on my logo....Hmmm I see We got a Ron Jeremy Fan....who is he???? :) I though I look like Chuckie Moore

haolejohn
04-05-2013, 07:24 PM
Nice Ukulele. The more I see these ukes, the more I start to want one.

NewKid
04-06-2013, 01:42 AM

The Hedge Hog!

kvehe
04-06-2013, 03:45 AM
The Hedge Hog!

The wide variety of things I learn about on this website is truly astounding.

remy26
04-06-2013, 05:10 AM

Umm, Frankie goes to Hollywood? (I'm not sure that I should know that... :D )

Big fan here too, Sarah! Love what you're doing with your music! Welcome to UU!

Love the new CR too, mds725!

coolkayaker1
04-06-2013, 07:14 AM
Frankie say: In Xanadu did Kubla Khan a Pleasuredome eeeerrrrrect!

Remy, winner winner, chicken dinner@!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ycCLXLiZWs

Rick Turner
04-06-2013, 10:27 AM
Compass Roses will be flowing along a bit better starting this month, I'm happy to say. New crew is doing great, and we may be seeing John Robinson back part time...

hawaii 50
04-06-2013, 02:53 PM
Compass Roses will be flowing along a bit better starting this month, I'm happy to say. New crew is doing great, and we may be seeing John Robinson back part time...

Hey Rick..
like i said before..glad to let John get back into the swing of things on my uke..i have no problems with it..i trust him 100% i know he will do a great job..
thxs Len

Gillian
04-06-2013, 03:25 PM

That is ukulele music to my ears!

hawaii 50
04-06-2013, 04:48 PM
That is ukulele music to my ears!

Gillian

I really want to see your Compass Rose..and I want to see you play a song on the UU too..sounds like might be getting close

the wait makes it more exciting..
after you ordered your CR they seemed to have gotten busier..

hope to see you soon with it!

ksiegel
04-06-2013, 05:18 PM

Sounds like Frankie Goes to Hollywood....

Sarah Maisel
04-08-2013, 03:30 PM

Hahaha! Yes- before my time.... But I think the newest music I play is from the 60s.... :) Thanks for the welcome!

Sarah Maisel
04-08-2013, 03:31 PM
Welcome to UU Sarah. I really enjoyed your last video with Craig

Aww! Thanks so much! He is a BLAST to work with.

Sarah Maisel
04-08-2013, 03:34 PM
Hi Sarah,

Mahalo and welcome to UU! I think I've seen videos of you with your CR. I aspire to make mine sound even a fraction as nice as you make yours sound!

You'll get there in no time- just practice, practice, practice......:)